KSB2424

Why haven't the Patriots signed Cam Newton?

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yup. But I don’t see J Ville breaking the bank. If you’re Dalton the Pats are your chance to prove you can get it done. JVille is in re-build. 

Agreed that he would want to come to NE, but I don't know that they want him.  Last time they saw him, he was throwing 4 Int's.  

24 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yup. But I don’t see J Ville breaking the bank. If you’re Dalton the Pats are your chance to prove you can get it done. JVille is in re-build. 

I don't know about that.  Jacksonville does have some "nice" receivers in Chark & Westbrook and Conley and Cole aren't bad and they added a WR in the 2nd rd of the draft.  Plus, at this point in time, Fournette is still there.  I don't think they're in a re-build mode as much as a re-tool mode.  I know they've wanted to move on from Fournette, but while he is there, that group is better on offense than what New England has.  I don't know that they're really looking to move on from him any more.  They did have ample opportunities in the draft to add a RB, and they didn't even draft a single RB at all.

That team did go 6-10 with mediocre QB play.  The defense is bad, but if Dalton is looking for an opportunity to put up numbers, Jacksonville is a better place to go.

30 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Agreed that he would want to come to NE, but I don't know that they want him.  Last time they saw him, he was throwing 4 Int's.  

He definitely has had some bad moments in the spotlight. 

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't know about that.  Jacksonville does have some "nice" receivers in Chark & Westbrook and Conley and Cole aren't bad and they added a WR in the 2nd rd of the draft.  Plus, at this point in time, Fournette is still there.  I don't think they're in a re-build mode as much as a re-tool mode.  I know they've wanted to move on from Fournette, but while he is there, that group is better on offense than what New England has.  I don't know that they're really looking to move on from him any more.  They did have ample opportunities in the draft to add a RB, and they didn't even draft a single RB at all.

That team did go 6-10 with mediocre QB play.  The defense is bad, but if Dalton is looking for an opportunity to put up numbers, Jacksonville is a better place to go.

Didn’t notice them active in FA and they are going to have to unload their best defensive player. Looks like a soft re-build  at least. I guess Marrone isn’t thinking that way,  but the owners appear to be. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Didn’t notice them active in FA and they are going to have to unload their best defensive player. Looks like a soft re-build  at least. I guess Marrone isn’t thinking that way,  but the owners appear to be. 

Yeah, it does, but remember, the Jags did draft 2 defensive players with their first 3 picks.  Also, 2 big questions are, 1) What does Dalton want?  2) What is he willing to take?

Going to Jacksonville is a better opportunity because he has the best chance to put up numbers.  If teams see that the Jags go 6-10 again, but Dalton throws for 4200 yards with 27 TD's and 10 Int's, there's going to be a good market for him.  If he goes to NE and they go 8-8 but he throws for 3600 yards with 19 TD's and 9 Int's, he won't look as appealing.

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

Yeah, it does, but remember, the Jags did draft 2 defensive players with their first 3 picks.  Also, 2 big questions are, 1) What does Dalton want?  2) What is he willing to take?

Going to Jacksonville is a better opportunity because he has the best chance to put up numbers.  If teams see that the Jags go 6-10 again, but Dalton throws for 4200 yards with 27 TD's and 10 Int's, there's going to be a good market for him.  If he goes to NE and they go 8-8 but he throws for 3600 yards with 19 TD's and 9 Int's, he won't look as appealing.

Well, if I’m Dalton I’m going to the best coach. And it’s not like they drafted a replacement for Brady like the Packers did.  No one will expect Dalton to replace Brady. The expectations for him will be low. It’s a good spot even though he’s replacing a legend. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Well, if I’m Dalton I’m going to the best coach. And it’s not like they drafted a replacement for Brady like the Packers did.  No one will expect Dalton to replace Brady. The expectations for him will be low. It’s a good spot even though he’s replacing a legend. 

Agreed, but I think we all know that Belichick is more likely to pull the plug after 1 year than other teams would.  I think many of us believe that the Patriots aren't going to be all that good.  I don't think they'll suck, but I think 6 to 8 wins is likely.  I can Bill pulling the trigger on any deal to get a 1st round QB next year.  I think that if the Jag win that same 6 to 8 games, they're likely to stay put and add to the roster.  I think the job security in Jacksonville is better than in NE.

14 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Agreed, but I think we all know that Belichick is more likely to pull the plug after 1 year than other teams would.  I think many of us believe that the Patriots aren't going to be all that good.  I don't think they'll suck, but I think 6 to 8 wins is likely.  I can Bill pulling the trigger on any deal to get a 1st round QB next year.  I think that if the Jag win that same 6 to 8 games, they're likely to stay put and add to the roster.  I think the job security in Jacksonville is better than in NE.

Plus Jay Gruden is the OC in J-Ville.  Could be the deciding factor. 

Patriots will fall hard going from the GOAT to the scapegoat. I don’t see 7 wins. Major rebuild coming and a move away from the strange “only white players” thing. I don’t think they sign Cam but please let’s stop the mvp outlier talk, Cam had a run of years where he never was lower than a top 4 fantasy QB so he put up stats. Dalton would be a great pickup. Also please stop mentioning Kaepernick in QB threads, he has no interest in playing football and his workout thing was a clear stunt for attention. He makes and has plenty of money, he’s done.

1 minute ago, tanatastic said:

Patriots will fall hard going from the GOAT to the scapegoat. I don’t see 7 wins. Major rebuild coming and a move away from the strange “only white players” thing. I don’t think they sign Cam but please let’s stop the mvp outlier talk, Cam had a run of years where he never was lower than a top 4 fantasy QB so he put up stats. Dalton would be a great pickup. Also please stop mentioning Kaepernick in QB threads, he has no interest in playing football and his workout thing was a clear stunt for attention. He makes and has plenty of money, he’s done.

3 and 13 and Trevor Lawrence 2021 draft

They'd have to completely change their offensive system in order for him to succeed.  His running game was a big part of his offense.  Are the Pats really ready to go that direction, or would they try to turn him into a pocket passer? 

2 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

Because Newton sucks. 

This^

• Thanks 1

Probably already said havent read thread.

1. He isnt that good.

2. Highly doubt BB wants to work with a QB like him.

3 hours ago, tanatastic said:

Yea running QBs are good at fantasy.  Who cares about fantasy football though? 

He isnt 25 anymore.  A QB who wants to play like 1950s fullback isnt going to have a long prime.  His passing never developed.  He is about as good of a passer now as he was as a raw rookie coming in.  At this point he is slower.  More prone to injury.  And still cant pass. 

The MVP season was an outlier of sorts.   How do you not improve as a passer?  Oh yea immaturity.

7 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

Because Newton sucks. 

9 hours ago, edjr said:

Scan Newton is a fraud. No thank you. I'll take the Red Rocket over scam. Also the patriots have no cap space, hth

There's your correct answers. Belichick doesn't want a pile of garbage that can't throw a football.

3 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Yea running QBs are good at fantasy.  Who cares about fantasy football though? 

He isnt 25 anymore.  A QB who wants to play like 1950s fullback isnt going to have a long prime.  His passing never developed.  He is about as good of a passer now as he was as a raw rookie coming in.  At this point he is slower.  More prone to injury.  And still cant pass. 

The MVP season was an outlier of sorts.   How do you not improve as a passer?  Oh yea immaturity.

He did set passing records as a rookie including consecutive 400yd games to start his career and that was his career high in pass yds. Seemed to go downhill from there.

Cam has been hurt the past few years...that is true context.   I've followed him his whole professional career and y'all, if Cam is finally healthy, he's a great QB.   Also, despite all his "eccentrics"  he was great in the community.  Bump this thread in a years time, but he will be eventually signed and play and will win comeback player of the year and be a huge story.  

10 hours ago, edjr said:

I am hearing 3 million with incentives. - Pats have 1.667 million available.

They might have to release Chung

Do you think they will waive Chung tonight? 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, frank said:

Who would be left to do the safety dance? :banana:

• Haha 1

You guys suck. If I ever get to hang out with Cam and Molly Ringwald, none of you are invited. :mad:

1 minute ago, kutulu said:

Who would be left to do the safety dance? :banana:

We can dance if we want to. :dunno:

Just now, frank said:

We can dance if we want to. :dunno:

Let's dance! :banana:

6 minutes ago, kutulu said:

Let's dance! :banana:

Put on your red shoes. :dunno:

5 minutes ago, frank said:

Put on your red shoes. :dunno:

Kick It! 👠

32 minutes ago, kutulu said:

Kick It! 👠

Man, living at home is such a drag.

9 hours ago, frank said:

Yes, YES I DO! 

On 5/1/2020 at 9:28 PM, frank said:

Everybody waive Chung tonight.

• Haha 2

On 5/1/2020 at 11:33 AM, TBayXXXVII said:

Why would Jax do that when Minshew is better? He quietly had one of the best rookie seasons last year and it went nearly unnoticed. 21/6/3200 in 12 games. If Minshew starts all 16 they easily could've been an 8-8 team 1 or 2 games out of the playoffs.

On 5/1/2020 at 8:22 PM, KSB2424 said:

Cam has been hurt the past few years...that is true context.   I've followed him his whole professional career and y'all, if Cam is finally healthy, he's a great QB.   Also, despite all his "eccentrics"  he was great in the community.  Bump this thread in a years time, but he will be eventually signed and play and will win comeback player of the year and be a huge story.  

I have a friend in Charlotte.   Sounds like you.  

Ill believe it when I see it. No one is saying he is a bad person.  But his mental is flimsy and he tries to play QB like a FB.  Hes worth a shot.  Im not saying that exactly.  But Pats dont seem a fit.  And most all teams do not have a starting spot open. Jags I guess.  What point would that be for the Jags?

1 minute ago, iam90sbaby said:

Why would Jax do that when Minshew is better? He quietly had one of the best rookie seasons last year and it went nearly unnoticed. 21/6/3200 in 12 games. If Minshew starts all 16 they easily could've been an 8-8 team 1 or 2 games out of the playoffs.

I don't think Minshew was all that good, nor do I think he's better than Dalton.  In his first 5 games, he did great, but the next 4 he was so bad that he got benched.  After Foles got knocked out again in the Tampa game, he was "meh" the rest of the season.  I think Minshew's good TD/Int rate is more to do with how inaccurate he is than anything else.  In his last 9 games, he threw 12 TD's and 5 Int's while completing less than 58% of his passes.

I also don't know that Jacksonville really believes in him that much either.  They had 7 draft picks in the first 4 rounds and drafted only 2 offensive players to help him.  In free agency, they signed 9 players... of which 6 were defensive and 3 offensive players.  The offense was ranked 26th and the defense ranked 20th, yet they're investing in the defense.  If you believed in your QB, you'd have helped him on offense as much as defense.

The Jags are setting the team up to be competent, not competitive in 2021.  If they really wanted to see what kind of QB Minshew was, they'd have brought in a viable vet to push him and see what happens.  My guess is that the Jags draft a QB in round 1 next year.

33 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't think Minshew was all that good, nor do I think he's better than Dalton.  In his first 5 games, he did great, but the next 4 he was so bad that he got benched.  After Foles got knocked out again in the Tampa game, he was "meh" the rest of the season.  I think Minshew's good TD/Int rate is more to do with how inaccurate he is than anything else.  In his last 9 games, he threw 12 TD's and 5 Int's while completing less than 58% of his passes.

I also don't know that Jacksonville really believes in him that much either.  They had 7 draft picks in the first 4 rounds and drafted only 2 offensive players to help him.  In free agency, they signed 9 players... of which 6 were defensive and 3 offensive players.  The offense was ranked 26th and the defense ranked 20th, yet they're investing in the defense.  If you believed in your QB, you'd have helped him on offense as much as defense.

The Jags are setting the team up to be competent, not competitive in 2021.  If they really wanted to see what kind of QB Minshew was, they'd have brought in a viable vet to push him and see what happens.  My guess is that the Jags draft a QB in round 1 next year.

He didn't get benched, Foles just came back from injury and was just given the starting job back, Foles got benched for Minshew. 6-6, 21/6/3200 60% plus another 350 on the ground isn't bad at all in 12 starts. For comparison Kyler Murray was 5-10-1 20/12/3700 64% and started all 16 games. Minshew is a decent QB and earned the starting job going in 2020 and shouldn't get shafted for a bum like Cam.

Also not all teams use a team needs philosophy, some are strictly BPA no matter the position. You're looking a little to deep into their selections as it pertains to Minshew.

1 hour ago, iam90sbaby said:

He didn't get benched, Foles just came back from injury and was just given the starting job back, Foles got benched for Minshew. 6-6, 21/6/3200 60% plus another 350 on the ground isn't bad at all in 12 starts. For comparison Kyler Murray was 5-10-1 20/12/3700 64% and started all 16 games. Minshew is a decent QB and earned the starting job going in 2020 and shouldn't get shafted for a bum like Cam.

Also not all teams use a team needs philosophy, some are strictly BPA no matter the position. You're looking a little to deep into their selections as it pertains to Minshew.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Minshew then.

17 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Boom 

:lol: BB is going to have a stroke during Cam's first media interview :lol:

20 minutes ago, BufordT said:

worst signing in belicheat's tenure

No. Genius move. Belicheck knows this season is probably not going to get played and even if it is partially played, the Pats have no shot. Give the illusion that you are interested in him with a 1 year deal. Pats make themselves look like heroes to the BLM insane community. Let him go once covid has run its course.

Belicheck know Scam Newton totally sucks.