Sign in to follow this  
polecatt

Jaguars decline 5th year option for RB Leonard Fournette

Not a huge surprise here. Seems like they have been wanting to part ways since his 2nd season.

Fournette is pretty much their entire offense, but they are in a bit of a rebuilding mode.

So basically, he's in a contract year this season. I'm sure he wants to hit the open market at high value.

He's extremely talented but that talent has been wasted in Jacksonville for the most part.

I would expect a pretty big season from him in 2020. At least as big of one as he can have on a poor offense.

Then in 2021, if he signs with the right team, he could easily be a top 5 fantasy RB

If he stays on the Jags for this upcoming season, I would be concern of the team maybe trying to limit his use, knowing he’ll be gone after the next season.  

5 hours ago, weepaws said:

If he stays on the Jags for this upcoming season, I would be concern of the team maybe trying to limit his use, knowing he’ll be gone after the next season.  

I don't know, I think it could be the opposite. They may give him the ball a million times since they know he'll be gone, they'll get every bit out of him they can

This was a dumb move by the Jags.  If Fournette knows he's not going back to Jacksonville in 2021, which he does now, then that's more of a reason to hold out and show up Week 10.

8 hours ago, weepaws said:

3 hours ago, polecatt said:

I don't know, I think it could be the opposite. They may give him the ball a million times since they know he'll be gone, they'll get every bit out of him they can

The most fantasy-relevant thing to happen in JAX this week is the signing of Chris Thompson, who was a top-15 PPR RB (when he was healthy) under Jay Gruden in Washington.  Jay Gruden is now the Offensive Coordinator of the Jaguars, and his other RB is a lame duck.

I wouldn't draft Thompson as a fantasy starter in any but the largest leagues, but he should be a quality RB3 with upside if Fournette flames out.

36 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

The most fantasy-relevant thing to happen in JAX this week is the signing of Chris Thompson, who was a top-15 PPR RB (when he was healthy) under Jay Gruden in Washington.  Jay Gruden is now the Offensive Coordinator of the Jaguars, and his other RB is a lame duck.

I wouldn't draft Thompson as a fantasy starter in any but the largest leagues, but he should be a quality RB3 with upside if Fournette flames out.

Yes, I have had Chris Thompson on my teams a couple of times. He's an excellent PPR back, when he's healthy of course, which isn't often.

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

This was a dumb move by the Jags.  If Fournette knows he's not going back to Jacksonville in 2021, which he does now, then that's more of a reason to hold out and show up Week 10.

I don't know, that won't look good going into FA. He's already had the Trent Richardson label once after his 2nd season, but was able to shed it last year. I don't know that he would want that again, especially when he's looking for a pay day

Trent Richardson label?  I don't think so.  I don't think that stigma is out there... mainly because I've never heard it whispered once, especially since he had a near 1700 yard season last year.  I also don't think he would be looking for a payday as much as he would be looking to stay healthy.  He's young.  He can sign a 1-year prove-it deal somewhere and ball out, then get a pay-day.  He'd only be 26 with limited wear and tear.  If he had a great season on that prove-it deal, he'd get a good AAV contract.

49 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Trent Richardson label?  I don't think so.  I don't think that stigma is out there... mainly because I've never heard it whispered once, especially since he had a near 1700 yard season last year.  I also don't think he would be looking for a payday as much as he would be looking to stay healthy.  He's young.  He can sign a 1-year prove-it deal somewhere and ball out, then get a pay-day.  He'd only be 26 with limited wear and tear.  If he had a great season on that prove-it deal, he'd get a good AAV contract.

I remember hearing it a bit in his 2nd season, but he redeemed himself last season for the most part. I don't see why he wouldn't try and have a big season this year and sign a big deal. Why delay it if you don't have to?

I think C Thompson is a interesting move, if he can stay healthy with is more unlikely to happen. 

But if he does, he Thompson as post could be a good late pick up.  

59 minutes ago, polecatt said:

I remember hearing it a bit in his 2nd season, but he redeemed himself last season for the most part. I don't see why he wouldn't try and have a big season this year and sign a big deal. Why delay it if you don't have to?

Fair point.  But I think to expect common sense from players (see Lev Bell and Gordon), is a fool's errand.

I think Fournette we’ll try very hard to have a fantasy season, he’s wants to rise his own stock for a bigger pay day, but we’ll the Jags give him that opportunity to do so?