Sign in to follow this  
Strike

NY to health care workers: Thanks for coming to NY to help out. Now F you.

Of course they do...  It should be enough that they had to live in that hellhole...

Interesting quote by Cuomo from that article:

"We're not in a position to provide any subsidies right now because we have a $13 billion deficit," Gov. Andrew Cuomo said. "So there's a lot of good things I'd like to do, and if we get federal funding, we can do, but it would be irresponsible for me to sit here looking at a $13 billion deficit and say I'm gonna spend more money, when I can't even pay the essential services."

So out of state people who came to your aid and not waiving the state income tax is somehow a" subsidy"? 

3 minutes ago, DonS said:

"We're not in a position to provide any subsidies right now because we have a $13 billion deficit," Gov. Andrew Cuomo said. "So there's a lot of good things I'd like to do, and if we get federal funding, we can do, but it would be irresponsible for me to sit here looking at a $13 billion deficit and say I'm gonna spend more money, when I can't even pay the essential services."

So out of state people who came to your aid and not waiving the state income tax is somehow a" subsidy"? 

He doesn't get it; this is "normal" to him.  And they wonder why people are leaving that shiot hole in droves.

2 hours ago, DonS said:

And somehow not taxing people is additional SPENDING?

The question posed was will the state wave all income tax for ALL health care workers. I watched this live. There was no question specificly saying out of state workers.

I don't see why expecting people who are working to pay income tax is bad.  I  mean, even a blind squirrel finds a nut.  When a Democrat does something right, it should be applauded.  I mean, it almost never happens, so we should at least acknowledge when it happens.  To me, this is no different to how athletes get taxed in road games.

It's only an issue if he previously promised them that he'd waive their taxes.  To my knowledge, he didn't do that.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't see why expecting people who are working to pay income tax is bad.  I  mean, even a blind squirrel finds a nut.  When a Democrat does something right, it should be applauded.  I mean, it almost never happens, so we should at least acknowledge when it happens.  To me, this is no different to how athletes get taxed in road games.

What if they end up having to pay income tax in both states for that time?  The thing is, when someone goes out of their way to do something nice, like in an emergency pack up and leave their home for a month or more to help you out, you might want to toss them a bone.  They could have stayed home and worked just as easily as going to NY.  And, you know, not leave their families in the middle of a pandemic.  What do you think people are going to say the next time NY asks them to do something like this?

I understand that NYC has a lot of people who commute in from NJ and CT and even PA to work every day, so they have the mindset of charging a work tax, makes sense.  But if I were a health care worker who came in to help NYC because they were completely incompetent in this pandemic, and I got a tax bill from NY, I'd send the bill back to Cuomo telling him to blow me.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Strike said:

What if they end up having to pay income tax in both states for that time?  The thing is, when someone goes out of their way to do something nice, like in an emergency pack up and leave their home for a month or more to help you out, you might want to toss them a bone.  They could have stayed home and worked just as easily as going to NY.  And, you know, not leave their families in the middle of a pandemic.  What do you think people are going to say the next time NY asks them to do something like this?

You can't pay income tax in both.  You only pay for what you earn in that state.  Again, it's no different than athletes.  You only pay where you play.  A player for the Giants pays NJ income tax for 8 games.  When he goes to Philly to play the Eagles, he will pay the city income tax and the PA state tax. He's not paying NJ income tax for that game too.

Yeah, it would be nice for NY to forgive their tax, but people shouldn't expect it.  I am a volunteer fire fighter.  I don't expect anyone to give me anything.  I don't get any tax brakes for risking my life every time I go to a fire.  I only get money if I die, in the form of a $25k life insurance policy that's paid for by the town and the Fire Association.  I do that as a volunteer.  These people are still getting paid to "volunteer", I don't.  I get NOTHING.  Just a "thanks for your help".  Pay your taxes and go on your merry way.

If people see paying their taxes as a slap in the face, then if something like this happens again and they stay home, then that's them being selfish.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I understand that NYC has a lot of people who commute in from NJ and CT and even PA to work every day, so they have the mindset of charging a work tax, makes sense.  But if I were a health care worker who came in to help NYC because they were completely incompetent in this pandemic, and I got a tax bill from NY, I'd send the bill back to Cuomo telling him to blow me.

They wouldn't get a tax bill.  The money would be automatically deducted from their pay checks, I'd assume.  I could be wrong though.

I guess the $120 hr rate for repository therapists they were advertising along with paid housing wasnt good enough 

4 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

I guess the $120 hr rate for repository therapists they were advertising along with paid housing wasnt good enough 

It should be.  Like I said, Democrats get nearly nothing right, ever.  You have to let them know when they get something right.  It's the only way to get them on the right track.

14 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

The question posed was will the state wave all income tax for ALL health care workers. I watched this live. There was no question specificly saying out of state workers.

This

16 hours ago, Strike said:

Not only did they volunteer to come help, and leave their families and all that, doing so put their lives at risk.

Sending them a bill is a pretty sh!t move. 

• Like 1