Sign in to follow this  
Cloaca du jour

Mt. Rushmore of coaches...spermoff

Wouldn't the Mount Rushmore of "coached" be the players who took to coaching the best?   

I would think Lombardi would be a shoe in.  Unless we want to downplay that era of footbll.  Which is fine I suppose.

Lombardi, Walsh,  BB and I suppose Landry.  No particular order.

I dont see BB...as top 4.  He cant draft...he rode brady and gronk.  I could see parcells before BB.  To each his own I guess...

Belichik, Shula, Landry, Lombardi

You can’t leave Belicheat off the list. You can’t play tit for tat he rode Brady, he won cuz this he won cuz that. If you do that, you have to do it for every player and coach. Walsh rode Montana, Rice etc so and so only did it because such and such. You can’t do that. Things are what they are and his legacy is cemented regardless of the cheating and anything else.

4 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

I dont see BB...as top 4.  He cant draft...he rode brady and gronk.  I could see parcells before BB.  To each his own I guess...

He drafted Brady and Gronk. Which is it?

John Wooden

Scotty Bowman

Red Auerbach

Vince Lombardi

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cloaca du jour said:

You said coach in your title not GM.  So what are we talking about here? The fact that they dont have good drafts should be testament to his coaching ability.

Dont be silly.

14 minutes ago, riversco said:

Three of them must be Halas, Shula, and Belichick.  The 4th is debatable.

Sell me on Halas, I’m not up on him as much.

2 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

Sell me on Halas, I’m not up on him as much.

Oh cmon its Halas.

Wayne "Big Buck" Fonts

The only Detroit Lions head coach to win a playoff game in the superbowl era.

The only current head coach with even a remote chance to get on Rushmore besides Belichick would be Andy Reid.  He's 62 years old with 207 wins.  Theoretically, he could coach another 10 years with Mahomes as his QB and rack up 4-6 more rings and finish at age 72 with over 300 wins, which would put him in the conversation.  Although there is no margin for error.  He needs absolute domination in the 2020s to even get mentioned.  At this point I'd say he has a 5% chance.

4 minutes ago, riversco said:

The only current head coach with even a remote chance to get on Rushmore besides Belichick would be Andy Reid.  He's 62 years old with 207 wins.  Theoretically, he could coach another 10 years with Mahomes as his QB and rack up 4-6 more rings and finish at age 72 with over 300 wins, which would put him in the conversation.  Although there is no margin for error.  He needs absolute domination in the 2020s to even get mentioned.  At this point I'd say he has a 5% chance.

He barely has one.  He was well on his way to blowing that one. I don’t see his coaching getting any better. Probably  worse. 

I think those old coaches would roll over in their grave if BB was included.

15 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

Because of his 8 rings? Those old focks couldn’t hold his jock. 

Unfortunately, BB has more respect for two-faced aholes like Shula than he should. He is a historian of the game and has great respect for guys like Paul Brown. Watch the NFL top 100 for some of that.

32 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Because of his 8 rings? Those old focks couldn’t hold his jock. 

Unfortunately, BB has more respect for two-faced aholes like Shula than he should. He is a historian of the game and has great respect for guys like Paul Brown. Watch the NFL top 100 for some of that.

You can’t give him eight, ok? Lombardi and Landry won as coordinators too. No one says George Seifert has 3 rings. 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You can’t give him eight, ok? Lombardi and Landry won as coordinators too. No one says George Seifert has 3 rings. 

It matters. Count theirs too. 6 as a HC and 2 as a DC on those teams should factor in. It is the complete body of work.

I like Lombardi, so maybe I am biased. Landry? Not in the discussion and neither is Siefert. 

6 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

It matters. Count theirs too. 6 as a HC and 2 as a DC on those teams should factor in. It is the complete body of work.

I like Lombardi, so maybe I am biased. Landry? Not in the discussion and neither is Siefert. 

My point is Seifert won two as HC. Nobody says he won 3 because he was a coordinator on another one. 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

My point is Seifert won two as HC. Nobody says he won 3 because he was a coordinator on another one. 

I think they say Seifert has 5 rings. Again, not the sole measurement, but part of the equation.

15 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

You don’t count backup QBs SB rings. Coordinators are a dif category.

2 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I think they say Seifert has 5 rings. Again, not the sole measurement, but part of the equation.

So now if you’re the defensive backs coach on a SB winning team you get to count that too? Come on. 

Jesus - you guys can complicate getting laid in a whorehouse with a fistful of 50’s.

Think of those coordinator or AC Super Bowl wins as a tie breaker. BB has 6 SB wins as a HC. If there is some other dude that has 6 wins as a HC, but none as a DC/OC, then refer to the coordinator wins. 

Coaching is the operative word...innovation...turning around programs...making winners.  

Landry introduced the 4-3

That kinda stuff...

Its all subjective anyway...just something to chew on besides trump and corona.

Im not a BB fan..but he is in the discussion for sure...but the alledged cheating taints it.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Drizzay said:

Belichick is absolutely on there.

In my lifetime and not "back in the day" ....

Hockey- Scotty Bowman

Football - Bill Belichick

Basketball (hold my nose) Phil Jackson

Baseball.... tough one... I want so much to say Sparky Anderson but the numbers say that I have to give it to Tony LaRussa.

If all four are for football... again my lifetime (although I know Lombardi deserves it but this is my personal criteria that I've seen)

Belichick, Landry, Noll, Shula.... it was hard to leave Bill Parcells and Bill Walsh off.