Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

2020 Projections & Rankings

Nothing not to like about a non ppr league.  

It’s the way ff started.  

On 6/7/2020 at 1:42 AM, Utilit99 said:

People still play in standard scoring leagues? Interesting.

I actually do play in one. Long time league. A few of the owners refuse to adapt. We had 2 rb and 2 wr with no flex up until a few years ago. Still have a 10 free agent acquisition limit. That's annoying, but I still really enjoy the league

On 6/7/2020 at 2:42 AM, Utilit99 said:

I play in one that's still pretty standard. It's an old dynasty league. I wish it would adapt

8 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I actually do play in one. Long time league. A few of the owners refuse to adapt. We had 2 rb and 2 wr with no flex up until a few years ago. Still have a 10 free agent acquisition limit. That's annoying, but I still really enjoy the league

That's eerily similar to the one I'm in. We have the 10 free agent limit too.

Same league since 1988, we did go ppr for a while, but return just a few , it’s a redraft, because of how long it’s been around, it’s been as small as a 6 team league and now it’s a 14 team league. 

Find non ppr more of a challenge. 

On 6/7/2020 at 2:01 AM, weepaws said:

Nothing not to like about a non ppr league.  

It’s the way ff started.  

Plenty of early FF leagues were TD only.

But I play standard and PPR leagues. I don't find either better or worse, just different.

4 minutes ago, Vikings4ever said:

But I play standard and PPR leagues. I don't find either better or worse, just different.

It’s the way this league started , td only. 

They are different, and when I was doing multiple leagues, I would be both a non and ppr league. 

But now one league is good enough, I really just find a non ppr more of a challenge in a redraft. 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Vikings4ever said:

Yeah, I remember those. They were typically something like 6 pts for a TD, 9 pts for a TD over 40 yards, and 12 for a TD over 50 yards.

I'm in a couple of leagues that have that type of scoring, along with yards, PPR, etc.  I find them to be the most challenging and most fun

Just great, D Samuel is now out for a while.  

On 6/7/2020 at 2:42 AM, Utilit99 said:

I know I’m old school, but I think ppr is stupid. Why should just catching a ball, even without any yards gained, count as a point?  Should kickers get a point for just kicking the ball, even if they miss the FG?  Should RBs get a point for a carry that went for negative yards?  

41 minutes ago, RedzoneMonster said:

I know I’m old school, but I think ppr is stupid. Why should just catching a ball, even without any yards gained, count as a point?  Should kickers get a point for just kicking the ball, even if they miss the FG?  Should RBs get a point for a carry that went for negative yards?  

I don't argue your points as I think that whatever makes the people enjoy their league is the best solution for that league. One thing is, I have never heard of a league giving points for carries.

The game is ever evolving and that's why many leagues choose 1/2 point PPR and QBs getting less points against for interceptions and kickers being removed from the many leagues (we removed kickers in mine as well) as that is a more random than a lot of other stats.

I think leagues are simply trying to figure out which player metrics indicate skill and provide positive affects for their team. I completely get the 1 point for losing yards on a reception, but losing those yards inherently go against the player's stats. So 1 point after losing 5 yards is really .5, so it's not all that much since in a game, it doesn't happen all that much compared to all the other stuff.

Today on NFL radio I heard a WR coach being interviewed by Jim Miller and Pat Kerwin and the guy was talking at length about how much of his coaching was spent on the actual catching of the ball. Both at the college and pro levels. The mindset behind it, and how that in the long run without that, you got nothing. He was talking about players who had the approach of improving their yards after catch numbers on a constant basis over focusing their overall skill set on making sure that the first thing you do is catch the ball. It may sound obvious and trivial, but he was saying that there are many, who don't focus on it as one of their most important skills.

The guy worked with Keenan Allen when he was in a slump and started catching the ball with his body and that made things worse.

2 hours ago, RedzoneMonster said:

The league I’m in, we’ve been together since 1988, you know back before we had to wear a mask, we went from td only, then non ppr counting yardage, and then went ppr, found ppr to be boring , and really just very simple , we went back non ppr a few years ago and very happy. 

Yeah old school.  

3 hours ago, RedzoneMonster said:

I know I’m old school, but I think ppr is stupid. Why should just catching a ball, even without any yards gained, count as a point?  Should kickers get a point for just kicking the ball, even if they miss the FG?  Should RBs get a point for a carry that went for negative yards?  

Yeah all great reasons that ppr sux...but the thing that is most annoying to me is even if the catch goes for neg yards....give the man a point.....BSCRAP

16 hours ago, RedzoneMonster said:

It depends on the size of the League. In my only 10 team league we do non ppr. There is no need because there are more than enough viable fantasy options. When you get into bigger leagues it's a lot harder to find players that contribute anything. Satellite backs become a potentially useful by week filler. It increases the useful player pool

Im also a big proponent of superflex and tight end premium. They make a startup draft and overall value of positions more spread out. 5 or 6 qbs get picked in the first two rounds along with some tight ends. 

Oh no, nothing beats a 14 team league non ppr, and even better it’s a redraft, that where It makes to a lot more fun, because it’s a lot more tougher, ppr in a big league sure does make it a lot easier, you can draft positions like Rbs later in the draft who just simply catch those one yard one rec passes, now in a big non ppr league that’s not available, makes it a lot tougher setting up a draft.  

Thanks. Mm. 

You guys and your quaint lil antiquated scoring systems...

Try setting up your draft board for a Superflex league like this (I placed 2nd last year)...

Offense League Value Yahoo Default Value
Passing Yards 35 yards per point 25 yards per point
Passing Touchdowns 4  
Interceptions -1  
Rushing Yards 1 yards per point 10 yards per point
Rushing Touchdowns 6  
Receptions 0.5  
Receiving Yards 1 yards per point 10 yards per point
Receiving Touchdowns 6  
Return Touchdowns 6  
2-Point Conversions 2  
Fumbles Lost -2  
Offensive Fumble Return TD 6  
Pick Sixes Thrown -1 0

And that's not even one of the complicated ones.

One yard for a point for Rbs and WRs , and 35 yards passing for a point, and? 

That doesn’t look complicated at all. 

So what’s the avg total of points scored per team? 

7 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

It depends on the size of the League. In my only 10 team league we do non ppr. There is no need because there are more than enough viable fantasy options. When you get into bigger leagues it's a lot harder to find players that contribute anything. Satellite backs become a potentially useful by week filler. It increases the useful player pool

Im also a big proponent of superflex and tight end premium. They make a startup draft and overall value of positions more spread out. 5 or 6 qbs get picked in the first two rounds along with some tight ends. 

i can see the logic in this.  For me I’d think only leagues 14 teams or more ppr makes sense. 

24 minutes ago, RedzoneMonster said:

i can see the logic in this.  For me I’d think only leagues 14 teams or more ppr makes sense. 

What, why does it make since for a ppr in a league of 14 or more teams? 

14 teams should be the norm for any size league.  

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

One yard for a point for Rbs and WRs , and 35 yards passing for a point, and? 

That doesn’t look complicated at all. 

So what’s the avg total of points scored per team? 

It's a Superflex league, so you can start 2 QBs.  12 teams in the league.  Who are your QBs?

The ones that would score the most ff points, who’s yours? 

39 minutes ago, weepaws said:

The ones that would score the most ff points, who’s yours? 

:::  buzzer sound  :::

I'm afraid that's a fail.

And now you know what's so complicated about it.

Thanx for playing!

5 hours ago, AxeElf said:

:::  buzzer sound  :::

I'm afraid that's a fail.

And now you know what's so complicated about it.

Thanx for playing!

Oh no, that wasn’t the buzzer, that was you passing gas, and look you didn’t make a pick sorry. 

So my pick again, oh the pressure, ok I own the two top scoring ff qbs in your fake league, so now I’ll pick the top two scoring Rbs in ff in your fake league, 

if you need some help on your next pick, I’m sure someone would gladly help you. 

Now your next post we’ll be your pick, so be wise, I think I know what you’ll do, I bet like last season you will pick the Bears def with the that first pick, hey good luck with that pick, you’ll need it.  

I’ll check after church for that amazing pick that you’ll be making .

So let’s recap, in your own fake league, I own the top two ff scoring qbs and the top two ff scoring Rbs.  

Thanks, hey God Bless. 

13 hours ago, weepaws said:

What, why does it make since for a ppr in a league of 14 or more teams? 

14 teams should be the norm for any size league.  

I’ve always found 12 teams the perfect size, but that’s just me.

Non-PPR leagues are boring and besides that they're Fascist! Happy father's day FFToday  community and Staff!

6 hours ago, RedzoneMonster said:

I’ve always found 12 teams the perfect size, but that’s just me.

Once thought the same, but now I know the truth.  

Happy Father’s Day.  

Find ppr leagues to be very unsophisticated, very much elementary if you would. 

Happy Father’s Day.  

PPR came about because back in the day, if you got the likes of LT, Shaun Alexander, Preist Holmes, Marshal Faulk you had a huge advantage.  If you plotted the points for each position for the top 60 players, every position was linear, but RB was exponential.  That gave RBs way too much value.

Then the NFL shifted away from the workhorse runningback and PPR became less necessary.  

But you can reduce the power of a rb in a non ppr league by simply adjusting ones points system, without rewarding a rb of little value into a rb2 in a ppr league.  

You  simply up the value of WRs and Tes without  the use of one point for catching a pass for zero gain, but that equals one point in ppr.  

If the Niners do keep Mostert and sign him to a larger contract, at his current adp he’ll be a steal. 

Both formats are fine, I prefer ppr. One thing is for sure. Get rid of stinkin kickers! Add an extra wr or flex, it’s much more fun!

On 7/9/2020 at 10:31 PM, tanatastic said:

Both formats are fine, I prefer ppr. One thing is for sure. Get rid of stinkin kickers! Add an extra wr or flex, it’s much more fun!

Yeah kickers are pretty dumb. Get lucky and get the top kicker for the year, get Justin Tucker, or spend all year trying to guess which dude doesn't suck balls each week. 

Why don't people like kickers?

They are part of the game, and they are a big part of scoring points in real football. Yeah, they're a little bit harder to predict but I don't really find them any more difficult than most defenses or most TEs.

I find it helps when you give bigger bonuses for 50 yard FGs.

My last pick every season, and I drop them almost weekly based on matchups. 

3 hours ago, polecatt said:

They are part of the game, and they are a big part of scoring points in real football. Yeah, they're a little bit harder to predict but I don't really find them any more difficult than most defenses or most TEs.

The They are a part of real football argument doesn't fly imo. Points per reception is popular, even though teams don't get pints per reception in a real game.

They are random as hell for almost all of them. I prefer to minimize randomness. Or make kickers really valuable. Which my one league does, so I am fine with them there. 

3 hours ago, polecatt said:

I just think it’s more fun finding the last spot on the lineup and going over matchups when it’s another WR rather than a kicker. After we switched to it no one wanted to go back.

I have no problem with ff teams having kickers , it gives everyone something else to think about , when both drafting and setting lineups.  

I would much rather have a kicker spot then a Wr6 or Rb6.  

7 hours ago, tanatastic said:

I just think it’s more fun finding the last spot on the lineup and going over matchups when it’s another WR rather than a kicker. After we switched to it no one wanted to go back.

You can add an extra flex spot and keep the kicker. 

People don't like the kicker position because websites don't spend very much time trying to predict it.  Most people just want to read rankings.  The kicker and IDP's are good differentiators because the rankings for those position are usually pretty bad.