The Observer

Customers refusing to wear a mask

The counties I work in have mandated face coverings for over a month. It's dumb and unnecessary but I have to wear one to do my job. Yesterday I was at an account and my face cover had slipped down below my chin and, because I was busy, I just left it. 

Some old bat walked by me (ignoring the 6' distance directive btw) and said to me "where's your mask?" In a bitchy tone. I said (grabbing my mask) "It's right here ma'am." So she says "Well you better put it on!" Even bitchier. I looked at her in disgust and carried on about my business. So she yells "PUT IT ON!" Then said to a store employee "Make him put his mask on."

So I told her to mind her own focking business and if she had a problem we could step outside and settle it like men. 

And by that I mean, I laughed and pulled my mask up and gave the employee the  :rolleyes:

The people who think they have the right to tell others what to do are far worse than those who simply refuse to wear a useless mask. You have to wear a mask for what, 15-30 minutes while you do your shopping? That's much different than having to wear one for 10 or 12 hours a day while you work. There are going to be some otherwise healthy people who develop respiratory issues because of this mandatory mask buIIshit. 

23 minutes ago, The Observer said:

Still nobody can explain why the political divide.

The percentage of grown adults that are refusing to wear masks imside an establisent that is actually requiring them is so infinitely small that its probably within the statistical margin of error.  So basically, those people dont matter and are simply on social media for us to laugh at.  Dont get those people confused with the people at the "open the country" protests.

I want to expand on my earlier post. To me and I think a lot of people the mask represents the wrong direction we should be heading. To me, the mask represents the fear and uncertainty of February and March. It's a constant reminder that people cannot get over that fear.

We all have a laugh at the people freaking out when asked to leave. We laugh at the people who freak out when someone isn't wearing a mask. I don't like the shaming though and I see it getting worse.  

57 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Indoors at like an Ace or a grocery store, I wear one.  I also wipe down carts if they have wipes. I think it is common courtesy to the people who work there and spend 8+ hours per day with people, many of whom (according to this thread anyway) don't share that courtesy.  While I may believe in herd immunity, it is not my job to decide for them.  Our Ace for instance seems to have employees who are either 25 or 70 years old; I don't want to get an elderly person sick.  As for Strike's question:  I don't know if I have it.  You seem confident that you've avoided it, good for you.

Outdoors, for exercise anyway, no thanks.  We've been lucky that AZ has encouraged us to get out and enjoy the great weather.  With gyms closed and living close to a mountain preserve, there have been more people in our neighborhood, and on the hiking trails.  On the trails we've adopted this tacit process where one of the parties steps off of the trail and faces the other way.  Seems to work fine, haven't run into a single Karen.  Occasionally I'll see someone in a mask, usually older and usually on the road.  I just jog around them, problem solved.

Same

44 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

The percentage of grown adults that are refusing to wear masks imside an establisent that is actually requiring them is so infinitely small that its probably within the statistical margin of error.  So basically, those people dont matter and are simply on social media for us to laugh at.  Dont get those people confused with the people at the "open the country" protests.

Largely the same folks

1 hour ago, Fireballer said:

True.

4 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

1. I do not believe COVID19 is any worse than the flu. Studies like the Santa Clare, Kansas and NY studies show that the virus was here as early as december and the infection rate is as high as 50% of the confirmed cases in some places.

2. Since most people are asymptomatic or get a mild flu no worse than seasonal flu I do not see a need for extra percussion

3. The goal is never to get sick. It was to flatten the curve. All of us will probably get it at some point No I'm not going out trying to get sick, but if I do I can more to #4

4. We have treatments that doctors have verified works. It's weird a treatment has become political but people have such blind rage for Orange man anything he says is bad. The truth is doctors are prescribing these extremely low-cost treatments all over the world and continue to do so every day

5. I'm not going to accept a bunch of mentally ill people tell me staying locked up in a home is the new normal. Just because they don't want to go back to work or are afraid to leave their rooms doesn't mean I have to be.

6. If someone falls into #5 I shouldn't have to change my ways because they are scared and misinformed. That's on them and they can stay home and watch CNN for all I care.

I hope that answers your question. As I said I will continue to wear a mask for a short while longer out of respect for my common man, but I refuse to accept thier new normal. It's time we listen to the science and move forward not backward and to me that's what the masks represent. 

Great post

4 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

1. I do not believe COVID19 is any worse than the flu. Studies like the Santa Clare, Kansas and NY studies show that the virus was here as early as december and the infection rate is as high as 50% of the confirmed cases in some places.

2. Since most people are asymptomatic or get a mild flu no worse than seasonal flu I do not see a need for extra percussion

3. The goal is never to get sick. It was to flatten the curve. All of us will probably get it at some point No I'm not going out trying to get sick, but if I do I can more to #4

4. We have treatments that doctors have verified works. It's weird a treatment has become political but people have such blind rage for Orange man anything he says is bad. The truth is doctors are prescribing these extremely low-cost treatments all over the world and continue to do so every day

5. I'm not going to accept a bunch of mentally ill people tell me staying locked up in a home is the new normal. Just because they don't want to go back to work or are afraid to leave their rooms doesn't mean I have to be.

6. If someone falls into #5 I shouldn't have to change my ways because they are scared and misinformed. That's on them and they can stay home and watch CNN for all I care.

I hope that answers your question. As I said I will continue to wear a mask for a short while longer out of respect for my common man, but I refuse to accept thier new normal. It's time we listen to the science and move forward not backward and to me that's what the masks represent. 

I'm with ya all the except #4 as I have yet to see any scientific proof it works

I was as concerned as anybody and made a lot of preparations due to this boards early concern. Now that this is played out and I see what we are dealing with I'm with ya.

1 minute ago, bandrus1 said:

I'm with ya all the except #4 as I have yet to see any scientific proof it works

I was as concerned as anybody and made a lot of preparations due to this boards early concern. Now that this is played out and I see what we are dealing with I'm with ya.

I hear on #4 but there's a reason doctors are using it. There's a reason the medical professionals told trump about it and he mentioned it. there are studies out there if you look.

12 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

Chloroquine is a potent inhibitor of SARS coronavirus infection and spread

Conclusion

Chloroquine is effective in preventing the spread of SARS CoV in cell culture. Favorable inhibition of virus spread was observed when the cells were either treated with chloroquine prior to or after SARS CoV infection. In addition, the indirect immunofluorescence assay described herein represents a simple and rapid method for screening SARS-CoV antiviral compounds

Link

I only do things that benefit ME. Wearing a mask does not benefit me, therefore I do not wear one. If a business has a mask requirement, I simply do not visit that business. It is all pretty simple really. 

2 minutes ago, BiffTannen said:

I only do things that benefit ME. Wearing a mask does not benefit me, therefore I do not wear one. If a business has a mask requirement, I simply do not visit that business. It is all pretty simple really. 

You're a self-centered narcissist, but you actually have the right attitude for it. You at least understand that stores can take safety precautions and you simply don't go to those stores rather than b**** and moan about the stores

The only places I’ve gone since shelter in place are the grocery store, pharmacy and beer distributor. I wear a mask there because it’s store policy but also because I don’t want me or anyone else shopping there to spread covid to the cashiers / stock staff, who then pass it on to my neighbors or potentially me and my family. 

It’s partly for them and partly for me. :thumbsup: 

8 minutes ago, The Observer said:

You're a self-centered narcissist, but you actually have the right attitude for it. You at least understand that stores can take safety precautions and you simply don't go to those stores rather than b**** and moan about the stores

You are correct on all parts of your assessment. :cheers:

if mask wearing does in fact help stop spread then it benefits me because it gets this all over faster

41 minutes ago, BiffTannen said:

It's not the store management's fault. The county issued the guidelines, if the store doesn't follow the guidelines they can be shut down. Alameda County shut down a Bevmo for letting customers in without a mask. 

Simple work around, most places are doing curbside pick-up due to this crap. Don't have or want to wear a mask? Just have them bring your sh!t out to your car for you. It's dumb and completely unnecessary but it's available at most stores. 

2 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

It's not the store management's fault. The county issued the guidelines, if the store doesn't follow the guidelines they can be shut down. Alameda County down a Bevmo for letting customers in without a mask. 

Simple work around, most places are doing curbside pick-up due to this crap. Don't have or want to wear a mask? Just have them bring your sh!t out to your car for you. It's dumb and completely unnecessary but it's available at most stores. 

I live in America. I am sorry you have to deal with California rules and regs. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

if mask wearing does in fact help stop spread then it benefits me because it gets this all over faster

This is untrue.  Reaching herd immunity is the fastest way to get over this virus.  We should be trying to reach herd immunity while protecting our most vulnerable.  Look at the Hong Kong flu pandemic of 1968.  Very similar to this one but we didn't shut everything down and force people to wear masks.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, BiffTannen said:

I live in America. I am sorry you have to deal with California rules and regs. 

:lol:

1 minute ago, Strike said:

This is untrue.  Reaching herd immunity is the fastest way to get over this virus.  We should be trying to reach herd immunity while protecting our most vulnerable.  Look at the Hong Kong flu pandemic of 1968.  Very similar to this one but we didn't shut everything down and force people to wear masks.

I'm with you if we can prove that you can't be sick with it more than once. I have not been convinced that is the case yet

4 minutes ago, Strike said:

Herd immunity is fine. If you and your buddies want to french kiss and hope to get it to build immunity, have at it.  But when you go to a grocery store or pharmacy, there are senior citizens and vulnerable people there who may very well not survive getting the virus. 

2 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

I'm with you if we can prove that you can't be sick with it more than once. I have not been convinced that is the case yet

There is strong evidence that that is the case.  Unfortunately, given the sudden and unknown nature of this virus when it first came out, we've made a lot of decisions based on limited/incomplete knowledge.  Such as shutting down the world.  I suspect if we knew 3 months ago what we know now about this thing we would have taken a much different approach.  The sad thing is the unwillingness of our "leaders" to adjust based upon the new knowledge.

Just now, The Observer said:

Herd immunity is fine. If you and your buddies want to french kiss and hope to get it to build immunity, have at it.  But when you go to a grocery store or pharmacy, there are senior citizens and vulnerable people there who may very well not survive getting the virus. 

I'm not sure why I even saw this post given I have you on ignore.  Can you fix that Mike?  But to your point, my grocery store has special hours for senior citizens and vulnerable people.  Or those people can stay home during this virus or have their food delivered.  We can make special accommodations for them while allowing the rest of the world to go about it's business.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

What if you can? Do we live in perpetual lockdown mode for the rest of history? 

If you're under 65 and relatively healthy this thing isn't a danger to you. The powers that be are just flying by the seats of their pants on this. They don't know what they're doing, other than enjoying their newfound control over the populace. 

I forget where it was but some dumbass said that people could take their boats out but no more than 2 people were allowed at any time. So a family of 5 can ride up to the lake together in the SUV but when that boat gets launched, 3 of them have to wait on shore for their turn. How the fock does that make any sense?

17 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

I agree mostly. I think it SPREADS quicker and more effectively than the flu, which can certainly mean the mortality and super sick rate might be far lower than thought.

And we did massively over react.  the market was taking care of it itself as it always does.  Large gatherings cancelled on their own.  Some business forcing work from home etc.  We did NOT need the government to stoke fear into everyone and shut down the economy like they did.  That was a critically massive over reaction and it really shows how weak as a country we have become.  Were afraid of our own shadow

5 minutes ago, Strike said:

I'm not sure why I even saw this post given I have you on ignore.  Can you fix that Mike?  But to your point, my grocery store has special hours for senior citizens and vulnerable people.  Or those people can stay home during this virus or have their food delivered.  We can make special accommodations for them while allowing the rest of the world to go about it's business.

Or you could make the teensie weensie sacrifice of wearing a mask for the 20 minutes you're at the grocery store.  But that mean giving a fock about someone other than yourself. 

And you saw it because you don't have me blocked. You're like posty.  You like saying you do, but you don't.  hth

11 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

So you want everyone to use a mask until we have a cure?

6 minutes ago, The Observer said:

Or you could make the teensie weensie sacrifice of wearing a mask for the 20 minutes you're at the grocery store.  But that mean giving a fock about someone other than yourself. 

What about the employees who have to wear them all day, every day? People will develop respiratory issues from being forced to wear masks for extended periods of time. Why don't you give a fock about them? 

1 minute ago, The Observer said:

And you saw it because you don't have me blocked. You're like posty.  You like saying you do, but you don't.  hth

Why should hundreds  of millions of people change their life style to accommodate the vulnerable? 

4 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

So you want everyone to use a mask until we have a cure?

No but I think that if we keep it down enough till summer hits there is a good chance it can basically be snuffed out

Just now, Baker Boy said:

Why should hundreds  of millions of people change their life style to accommodate the vulnerable? 

This isn't forever.  Maybe you have the wrong kind of mask. If it's painful to wear.  I personally don't find it to be a huge sacrifice or lifestyle change to throw a mask on for a few minutes to protect those around me. 

6 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

What about the employees who have to wear them all day, every day? People will develop respiratory issues from being forced to wear masks for extended periods of time. Why don't you give a fock about them? 

I have to go grocery shopping tomorrow. I’ll ask one of the 60 year old cashiers standing behind a plastic screen with a SARS mask and surgical gloves whether she’s worried about getting respiratory issues from mask wearing. 😂 

4 minutes ago, The Observer said:

This isn't forever.  Maybe you have the wrong kind of mask. If it's painful to wear.  I personally don't find it to be a huge sacrifice or lifestyle change to throw a mask on for a few minutes to protect those around me. 

It is easy for you but what about all the people that have to wear them all day. Your sacrifice is small but their sacrifice is huge. How are bars and restaurants suppose to survive if the customers have to wear masks?

10 minutes ago, MDC said:

I have to go grocery shopping tomorrow. I’ll ask one of the 60 year old cashiers standing behind a plastic screen with a SARS mask and surgical gloves whether she’s worried about getting respiratory issues from mask wearing. 😂 

Cool. Let me know what she says. :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

It is easy for you but what about all the people that have to wear them all day. Your sacrifice is small but their sacrifice is huge. How are bars and restaurants suppose to survive if the customers have to wear masks?

Dodging and weaving. I'm talking about grocery stores and pharmacies. Places where senior citizens and other vulnerable people have to go. If someone isn't comfortable going to a particular bar, they can go somewhere else. 

13 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Cool. Let me know what she says. :thumbsup:

Will do.

2 hours ago, The Observer said:

Dodging and weaving. I'm talking about grocery stores and pharmacies. Places where senior citizens and other vulnerable people have to go. If someone isn't comfortable going to a particular bar, they can go somewhere else. 

Meh, covid and seniors,  who cares just send em to the nursing homes! That's an order!

2 hours ago, The Observer said:

Pharmacies are drive up and grocery stores already have special hours for seniors. What else do you have?