Sign in to follow this  
KayJay1971

Any plans for Memorial Day weekend?

This was normally the weekend we would get the pool in order and have all of our friends over the swim/hot tub and grill. Now with the damn Corona Virus we are going to have to down size the party. We have our "Corona Couple" that we have hung out with pretty much every weekend since this whole thing started. I would not feel comfortable having 20 something people over to the house though. Hopefully soon though. Also we are missing the College Softball World Series which has become a tradition of watching out by the pool during Memorial Day Weekend. :mad:

Going over to our “corona couple” on Monday. Marinated London prime. Mexican street corn.  Red potatoes cooked in fat with merlot salt and chives.

pending restrictions might try to get to tomales bay/beach

None really.  Working the holiday.  My company will pay me to work it, pay me for the holiday, and give me another day off to take the place of the holiday so I can use it whenever I want.  Other than that, probably working in the garage.  It never got totally cleaned up and organized when we moved in to this house last summer.  Might have some friends over for a game night Saturday. 

What is this "corona couple," I've never heard of it.  Wife swapping?  :dunno:

I hadn’t either, but assumed it’s a quarantine buddy

Starting next Tuesday it looks like summer is hitting Phoenix in earnest, and this weekend starts our quarterly bulk trash collection, so I'll be making a ginormous pile of tree and bush trimmings on the street.  :cheers:

On the actual day, we'll probably have a pool day with our kids visiting.  They have been our "corona trio" during this.

Opening the pool. I usually wait because NY doesn’t  heat up until mid-late June.  But fock it, I have nothing else to do. I don’t have much tree cover so a heater isn’t really needed during the summer. 

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Opening the pool. I usually wait because NY doesn’t  heat up until mid-late June.  But fock it, I have nothing else to do. I don’t have much tree cover so a heater isn’t really needed during the summer. 

I keep hearing from management that tbeyre opening the pool in my apt complex. Im pretty stoked.  

8 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

I keep hearing from management that tbeyre opening the pool in my apt complex. Im pretty stoked.  

It’s nice to just look at even if it’s windy or cold. It’s also frog killin season. I don’t kill em, but I’m responsible for their death. 

30 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

My son turned the heater up to 97. By the time I caught it, the temp was 87. Little focker

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gladiators said:

My son turned the heater up to 97. By the time I caught it, the temp was 87. Little focker

Ha! 

Working and working.  Damn I wish I was non essential....well....

Holiday weekend is no different than every other focking day during this mess.  I'll probably just work and use the holiday hours later in the year WHEN I CAN ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING!!!!

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

Starting next Tuesday it looks like summer is hitting Phoenix in earnest, and this weekend starts our quarterly bulk trash collection, so I'll be making a ginormous pile of tree and bush trimmings on the street.  :cheers:

On the actual day, we'll probably have a pool day with our kids visiting.  They have been our "corona trio" during this.

Wasn’t it already over 100 for a while? My boss lives out there and was telling me about how it was over 100 again.

Oh, I don’t think we will be doing much. Stuff around the house, some social distancing and eat/drink.

8 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Wasn’t it already over 100 for a while? My boss lives out there and was telling me about how it was over 100 again.

Oh, I don’t think we will be doing much. Stuff around the house, some social distancing and eat/drink.

It was over 100 for a few days but went back down below.  100 is not bad, especially if you get out in the morning.  We are expected to be in the 90s thru Monday, then 105-110 the rest of the week.  That's worse...

14 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

It was over 100 for a few days but went back down below.  100 is not bad, especially if you get out in the morning.  We are expected to be in the 90s thru Monday, then 105-110 the rest of the week.  That's worse...

Have you always lived in AZ?  I've traveled to Yuma for work quite a bit and the heat just kicks my ass. 

Just now, DonS said:

Have you always lived in AZ?  I've traveled to Yuma for work quite a bit and the heat just kicks my ass. 

No, I was born and raised in NE PA.  Went to college in the Boston area.  Moved out to Phoenix after graduation in 1989, met my wife, had some kids, bought some houses... I've lived here longer than anywhere else though and it is home.

Yuma is hotter, but that's not to say Phoenix doesn't get hot.  You don't want to be sitting outside at 3PM when it is 110+, if there isn't a pool nearby.  But mornings are nice most of the year, and evenings are great for a quick dip in the pool to cool off from the evaporative effect (it is a DRY heat after all).  

A lot of people who live in the cold think that they could never live in this weather.  That's largely because they have never lived in this weather.  I've done both and I'm here to tell you, from my perspective anyway, cold/rain/snow can lick my taint.  :cheers:

My son will be with his mom till the 29th and I plan on using every single day to fish. This weekend is going to be glorious. 

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

No, I was born and raised in NE PA.  Went to college in the Boston area.  Moved out to Phoenix after graduation in 1989, met my wife, had some kids, bought some houses... I've lived here longer than anywhere else though and it is home.

Yuma is hotter, but that's not to say Phoenix doesn't get hot.  You don't want to be sitting outside at 3PM when it is 110+, if there isn't a pool nearby.  But mornings are nice most of the year, and evenings are great for a quick dip in the pool to cool off from the evaporative effect (it is a DRY heat after all).  

A lot of people who live in the cold think that they could never live in this weather.  That's largely because they have never lived in this weather.  I've done both and I'm here to tell you, from my perspective anyway, cold/rain/snow can lick my taint.  :cheers:

Thanks for the info.  My feelings are probably tainted by the fact that Yuma FOCKING SUCKS and I was always out in the middle of Yuma Proving Ground doing work. 

Edit: I do agree that sunrise at the airfield was quite nice. 

1 minute ago, DonS said:

Thanks for the info.  My feelings are probably tainted by the fact that Yuma FOCKING SUCKS and I was always out in the middle of Yuma Proving Ground doing work. 

I've never been to Yuma, only driven thru.  It seems like it's value is (1) Mexico border crossing, I think Mexicali is on the other side? (2) on the CA border, and (3) has a climate for 1/2 of the year which is good for growing lettuce.  Otherwise yeah, we've got lots of proving grounds around the state because of the heat part of the year.

57 minutes ago, DonS said:

Holiday weekend is no different than every other focking day during this mess.  I'll probably just work and use the holiday hours later in the year WHEN I CAN ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING!!!!

Came in here to post the same thing.  Been working at home every day since March 11, so today is just like yesterday, which is just like tomorrow and so on and so forth.  I’ll still likely work Monday and take an extra day off when this is over and I don’t have the kids in my space. 

13 hours ago, DonS said:

What would you be doing otherwise? 

12 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I could not.  I understand after some years you will adjust a bit.  But still.  I can dress for cold.  Sweatshirt football weather is lovely in my eyes.  You cant dress for heat.  You just sit inside much of the day.  

Surely there is a happy medium out there some where 

Bought a firepit/table for out on the patio. Have to pickup a propane tank for it but one night (or three) we will be out back enjoying some wine with the fire and some music.  Some friends are going camping (about 15 of them) Saturday and Sunday night, but we passed on that. 

13 hours ago, kilroy69 said:

My son will be with his mom till the 29th and I plan on using every single day to fish. This weekend is going to be glorious. 

I will be fishing 3 days this weekend and I am trying for large catfish.

Cocktails and appetizers tonight a one of our favorite steakhouses, golf tomorrow morning, golf Sunday morning, having my parents over for beer brats and potato salad in the afternoon, chilling Monday.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

How large are you talking?  We use to catch a lot of catfish at Brazos Bend State Park.

This coronavirus has killed any vibe from long weekends or holiday weekends. 3 day weekend? Im balls deep in a 3 month weekend with nothing to do. 

• Like 1

I'll be living my life and not in fear of a scamdemic.  Going to the lake, drink beer and socialize.   I am doing a hibachi grill on Saturday.  Golfing and boating each day.  :cheers:  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Try using ivory soap. 

30 minutes ago, Bert said:

How large are you talking?  We use to catch a lot of catfish at Brazos Bend State Park.

I am trying for a 15+ pounder, ideally closer to 30.

I am using live perch as bait.

1 minute ago, kilroy69 said:

Try using ivory soap. 

Does that work with live bait?

1 minute ago, MTSkiBum said:

Does that work with live bait?

Nope you literally just carve out a chunk. Hook it and let it sit on the bottom. Sounds insane. I  100% assure you it works

3 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Frogs.   Trust me.  One big hook up through the mouth and run a short line to a treble hook into the back legs.  :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I caught a 30 lb catfish that changed my life. I killed it and ate it and I have never killed another fish. I felt the change inside me as I was eating it. I felt guilty for killing such an old fish.(12-16 years old when I was 21.)  That was 1997. I have done catch photograph and release since. 

• Confused 1

I'm hoping to finish moving.  I'm focking sick of it.

We'll probably have some family over for a cookout.  Kids can swim.  Adults can have some drinks.

None of you are gong to do my mom? What’s this place coming to? 

1 hour ago, listen2me 23 said:

What would you be doing otherwise? 

In normal times I would be looking forward to a 3 day weekend so that I can relax at home and not go into work.  Now that I'm always at home there isn't any difference.   Sometimes on days off I'd catch a movie, but that's obviously off the table. 

My wife and I discussed using her brother's cottage on the Oregon coast, but part of the enjoyment is going to a nearby brewery for beers and dinner and that isn't an option.   Driving 5.5 hrs for a little bit of chilly beach time while being stuck in another house isn't very appealing. 

15 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

None of you are gong to do my mom? What’s this place coming to? 

Well I thought we were talking about things we didn't do every weekend anyways.  My bad.