Sign in to follow this  
Strike

I am so sick of this notion that everything in this country has to be "fair"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-20/college-tests-called-unfair-to-homebound-tech-poor-students

Oh no, kids may not all have access to the same resources as the rich kids.  All we're doing every time we acquiesce to this stupid notion is lower our standards, moving further down towards the lowest common denominator.  This country NEVER promised fairness.  It promised access to opportunity, and we have by far the most opportunity of any country on this planet.  If that was the message we taught our kids instead of "everything isn't fair if you don't succeed", we'd be a hell of a lot better off as a country.

• Thanks 2

Good grief, I think I was around 5 or 6 when my parents taught me that life isn't fair. What's wrong with today's parents? 

6 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Good grief, I think I was around 5 or 6 when my parents taught me that life isn't fair. What's wrong with today's parents? 

It particularly galls me regarding higher education.  Schools are getting rid of GPA requirements, SAT/ACT as part of application process, essays, all because those things may not be fair to certain segments of society.  They're supposed to help the schools weed out those not worthy of the level of academics that school is known for.  They are not supposed to make up for societal unfairness.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Strike said:

It particularly galls me regarding higher education.  Schools are getting rid of GPA requirements, SAT/ACT as part of application process, essays, all because those things may not be fair to certain segments of society.  They're supposed to help the schools weed out those not worthy of the level of academics that school is known for.  They are not supposed to make up for societal unfairness.

It doesn't bode well for the future. We've already seen the detrimental effects of lowering standards for LEO's. What's next? "Medical school is too hard, we need to lower the requirements so that more people can become doctors."

The world needs ditch diggers too. Mexicans can't dig them all. Some of those ditches are going to have to be dug by actual Americans. 

1 minute ago, 5-Points said:

It doesn't bode well for the future. We've already seen the detrimental effects of lowering standards for LEO's. What's next? "Medical school is too hard, we need to lower the requirements so that more people can become doctors."

The world needs ditch diggers too. Mexicans can't dig them all. Some of those ditches are going to have to be dug by actual Americans. 

Yup. We never realized Idiocracy was a documentary.

When I was a union rep, I would often ask my co-workers, “do you want to be treated fair or equal?, because there is a difference “. When I explained it to them they always opted for fair. Equal is easy. Fair is hard. Equal is rarely fair. 

We really shouldn’t have to listen to this nonsense. 

It’s not fair. :banana:

Fair treatment is usually given. Equal treatment is usually earned. If there is a group of people who act a certain way that warrants more suspicion and risk than a different kind of people, those people shouldn’t be treated equally. They can be treated fairly though and are, hence the constitution.

"life ain't fair" is one of the truest cliches out there.  The less affluent sometimes have to work harder for something, it'll always be that way.

Apparently not all agree, some want just fairness. 

10 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Apparently not all agree, some want just fairness. 

This has nothing to do with Trump.  Every focking thread.  Pathetic.

• Like 1

You didn't read the article, but in general, believe that everyone in America has to have access to basic internet and  hardware. There are far too many of Life substantial systems that rely on that. Especially with this b******* virus.

Think about it right now. Governments are saying use our websites! Because they're closed down for face-to-face. But those in most need those websites? Don't have computers, Wi-Fi access or for that matter, even email addresses.

Can't tell you how many folks I've helped that were exactly in that situation. I'm sorry, you don't get to just change the rules of how you provide services paid by taxpayer dollars without thinking of the taxpayers. Oh, now you can only get a driver's license on Mars? Hey did we vote on that?

and whole nother subject entirely, but I'd much rather make sure every kid has a f****** computer n Wi-Fi than 76 different flavors of counselors and religious advisors and emotional support advisors and esl and ..

13 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

You didn't read the article, but in general, believe that everyone in America has to have access to basic internet and  hardware. There are far too many of Life substantial systems that rely on that. Especially with this b******* virus.

Think about it right now. Governments are saying use our websites! Because they're closed down for face-to-face. But those in most need those websites? Don't have computers, Wi-Fi access or for that matter, even email addresses.

Can't tell you how many folks I've helped that were exactly in that situation. I'm sorry, you don't get to just change the rules of how you provide services paid by taxpayer dollars without thinking of the taxpayers. Oh, now you can only get a driver's license on Mars? Hey did we vote on that?

and whole nother subject entirely, but I'd much rather make sure every kid has a f****** computer n Wi-Fi than 76 different flavors of counselors and religious advisors and emotional support advisors and esl and ..

Everybody in America has access to basic internet and hardware. Are you saying that those who can't afford to have that in their homes deserve to have it provided at no cost? I'm not sure where you're going with that line of thinking.

We all have to go to the DMV for a DL. No reason for that to change. Other than we should have to provide proof of citizenship in order to get a DL and be registered to vote at the same time. 

If you can't afford to provide your kids with the "basic, essential, luxuries" then don't have focking kids. 

48 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Everybody in America has access to basic internet and hardware. Are you saying that those who can't afford to have that in their homes deserve to have it provided at no cost? I'm not sure where you're going with that line of thinking.

We all have to go to the DMV for a DL. No reason for that to change. Other than we should have to provide proof of citizenship in order to get a DL and be registered to vote at the same time. 

If you can't afford to provide your kids with the "basic, essential, luxuries" then don't have focking kids. 

Yes, I am saying that everyone should have access 2 free internet and supporting hardware.

If basic, taxpayer provided services are going to be provided that way then yeah, obviously, everyone should have access to that. Why is that even a question?

Guess what? libraries and other places that provide access and hardware are closed down. I'm sorry, did the government stop charging taxes for those services?

Hey, you can only get a driver's license or birth certificate via our website! O don't have access to the internet? But we're closed down for the phony virus! So, good luck with that?

I want to pay with cash? Sorry, don't you have a debit card? We don't recognize American currency anymore.

Neat twist on basic essential luxuries. So, if only competent pulmonary therapist were available to liberal downtowners and some redneck family from 600 miles away didn't have access to that, then what? I mean, is that a luxury too? 

• Thanks 1

Great point Wiffle!! People only seem to care about what's fair when it affects them.

16 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Yes, I am saying that everyone should have access 2 free internet and supporting hardware.

If basic, taxpayer provided services are going to be provided that way then yeah, obviously, everyone should have access to that. Why is that even a question?

Guess what? libraries and other places that provide access and hardware are closed down. I'm sorry, did the government stop charging taxes for those services?

Hey, you can only get a driver's license or birth certificate via our website! O don't have access to the internet? But we're closed down for the phony virus! So, good luck with that?

I want to pay with cash? Sorry, don't you have a debit card? We don't recognize American currency anymore.

Neat twist on basic essential luxuries. So, if only competent pulmonary therapist were available to liberal downtowners and some redneck family from 600 miles away didn't have access to that, then what? I mean, is that a luxury too? 

You've convinced me and on that note, since we have the 2nd Amendment right to keep arms, anybody who can't afford one should have a gun of their choice provided for them by the government. 

Anyone know what the person who graduates last in his class in medical school is called?

Doctor

18 hours ago, wiffleball said:

You are really out of touch it seems. :blink:

When people are presented with the alternatives of hating themselves for their failures or hating others for their success, they seldom choose to hate themselves.

- Thomas Sowell

42 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

You are really out of touch it seems. :blink:

Wow, too many people have spent last two months hearing about what I've been up to. So go ahead, explain to me how it is I am so woefully out of touch.

This topic is why I am for a Universal Basic Income.  Get rid of welfare,  food stamps, unemployment (in normal times), and  some other safety nets.    Every adult over 18 gets an UBI of  $1,000 dollars a month.   Do with it as you wish.  Go in with a roommate on a cheap apartment, buy some clothes and food from Wal-Mart and pay for basic internet?   Do it.  OR buy some crack, smokes, booze and a hooker, knock yourself out.  Just no more excuses. 

On 5/20/2020 at 7:17 PM, Strike said:

Yup. We never realized Idiocracy was a documentary.

The only thing they got wrong was that it would take 500 years.