Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Praying

Those who pray, do you think prayer actually helps people not die from things? If so, are you surprised when you prayed your ass off and they still died? Or is it just an easy way to make you feel like a good person even though it may not have any tangible effect? 

16 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Those who pray, do you think prayer actually helps people not die from things? If so, are you surprised when you prayed your ass off and they still died? Or is it just an easy way to make you feel like a good person even though it may not have any tangible effect? 

It's like the masks, it makes people feel better. 

Why do you have a problem with it ?

5 minutes ago, drobeski said:

Science is a joke, isn't it?

For those with faith, no answer is necessary. For those without faith no answer is possible.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Prayer is just meditation on your morality.  Telling people to stop thinking so much about right and wrong sounds like a terrible idea.

35 minutes ago, drobeski said:

I don't have a problem with it. I'm just wondering how impactful people think it is. 

5 minutes ago, riversco said:

Prayer is just meditation on your morality.  Telling people to stop thinking so much about right and wrong sounds like a terrible idea.

Im not telling anyone to stop praying. 

5 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Im not telling anyone to stop praying. 

No. You’re just trying to look smart.  It’s not working.  

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

No. You’re just trying to feel smart.  It’s not working.  

Not at all. I don't think I'm smarter for not praying. It's probably smarter to pray since it probably releases endorphins into the brain. Nice try though. 

Just now, Frozenbeernuts said:

Not at all. I don't think I'm smarter for not praying. It's probably smarter to pray since it probably releases endorphins into the brain. Nice try though. 

Ok

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Ok

I guess anyone who asks a question related to a Why someone does something is in a mental superiority battle of some sort? 

1 minute ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I guess anyone who asks a question related to a Why someone does something is in a mental superiority battle of some sort? 

Not everyone. But you are. 

7 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Not everyone. But you are. 

I expected some yes and no answers with an explanation. I did not expect this much sensitivity. 

Prayer is a conversation between you and God. Praying for someone to not die does not work. Praying to win the lotto does not work. People who actually know about prayer know these things. I find people who don't, think prayer is when you ask for stuff.

Most people who have their conversation with God to thank him for their blessing and to give them strength. Also to help them with making a decision or difficut decision.

Praying for people to be safe isn't asking God to make them safe. It's unloading your worry and burden to God.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Prayer is a conversation between you and God. Praying for someone to not die does not work. Praying to win the lotto does not work. People who actually know about prayer know these things. I find people who don't, think prayer is when you ask for stuff.

Most people who have their conversation with God to thank him for their blessing and to give them strength. Also to help them with making a decision or difficut decision.

Praying for people to be safe isn't asking God to make them safe. It's unloading your worry and burden to God.

My mom believes prayer directly impacts someone's health. It's great for her. She is happy as can be believing she is basically a walking healing machine. It also has crippled her ability to deal with reality. She quit her job last summer and has been sitting on her couch praying ever since. All day, every day. She asks God what decision she needs to make for literally everything.

I wasn't sure what percentage of people thought prayer had a genuine impact at the GC, but there are quite a few people out there who do

I think in certain circumstances prayer can move the hand of God like found in 2 Chronicles 7:14 " if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

Overall I agree with @Cdub100

I pray mostly in thanksgiving of everything I've been blessed with but I also pray for numerous other things including family and friends,political leaders and sometimes even geeks ;)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, frank said:

We got to pray just to make it today. 

Preach it Hammer!

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

My mom believes prayer directly impacts someone's health. It's great for her. She is happy as can be believing she is basically a walking healing machine. It also has crippled her ability to deal with reality. She quit her job last summer and has been sitting on her couch praying ever since. All day, every day. She asks God what decision she needs to make for literally everything.

I wasn't sure what percentage of people thought prayer had a genuine impact at the GC, but there are quite a few people out there who do

This is sad about your mother. Prayer is just holding your hands together and talking. There’s no such thing as magic lol. The fact that this needs to be said and that adults will now come for me against this opinion (it’s more fact, I’m calling it opinion out of respect) is...oof. 

Prayer as a form of meditation or centering yourself or gathering thoughts etc is fine. Prayer with the expectation of magical communication with omnipotent sorcerers and real life application is loony tunes.

If you pray and people don’t die, that’s evidence of God’s plan. If they do die, God works in mysterious ways. 

They can’t lose. :thumbsup: 

Doesn't God have a plan for everyone? That to me would suggest that no matter what we do it is already predetermined. So what is the point of prayer if the result has already been decided? 

ETA - MDC is on the same line of thinking and beat me to it. 

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Reminds me of this

A farmer is in Iowa during a flood. The river is overflowing. Water is surrounding the farmer’s home up to his front porch. As he is standing there, a boat comes up. The man in the boat says, “Jump in, and I’ll take you to safety.”

The farmer crosses his arms and says stubbornly, “Oh no thanks, I put my trust in God.” The boat goes away. The water rises to the second story. Another boat comes up. The man says to the farmer, who is now at the second floor window, “Hurry, jump in. I’ll save you.”

The farmer again says, “Oh no thanks, I put my trust in God.”

The boat goes away. Now the water is inching over the roof. As the farmer stands on the roof, a helicopter comes over, and drops a ladder. The pilot yells down to the farmer, “I’ll save you. Climb the ladder.”

The farmer yells back, “Oh no thanks, I put my trust in God.”

The helicopter goes away. The water continues to rise and sweeps the farmer off the roof into the swiftly moving water. Unfortunately, he drowns.

The farmer goes to heaven. God sees him and says, “What are you doing here?”

The farmer says, “I put my trust in you, and you let me down.”

God says, “What do you mean, let you down? I sent you two boats and a helicopter!”

7 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Reminds me of this

A farmer is in Iowa during a flood. The river is overflowing. Water is surrounding the farmer’s home up to his front porch. As he is standing there, a boat comes up. The man in the boat says, “Jump in, and I’ll take you to safety.”

The farmer crosses his arms and says stubbornly, “Oh no thanks, I put my trust in God.” The boat goes away. The water rises to the second story. Another boat comes up. The man says to the farmer, who is now at the second floor window, “Hurry, jump in. I’ll save you.”

The farmer again says, “Oh no thanks, I put my trust in God.”

The boat goes away. Now the water is inching over the roof. As the farmer stands on the roof, a helicopter comes over, and drops a ladder. The pilot yells down to the farmer, “I’ll save you. Climb the ladder.”

The farmer yells back, “Oh no thanks, I put my trust in God.”

The helicopter goes away. The water continues to rise and sweeps the farmer off the roof into the swiftly moving water. Unfortunately, he drowns.

The farmer goes to heaven. God sees him and says, “What are you doing here?”

The farmer says, “I put my trust in you, and you let me down.”

God says, “What do you mean, let you down? I sent you two boats and a helicopter!”

That's my mom to a T. She says she literally talks to God. As in he talks back... I have never met anyone more indoctrinated. She can't get enough of the televangelists.

20 minutes ago, KayJay1971 said:

Doesn't God have a plan for everyone? That to me would suggest that no matter what we do it is already predetermined. So what is the point of prayer if the result has already been decided? 

You have a very good logical question and really dives into free will. Here are two examples that might help

2+2+2+2=8

2+1+1+2+2=8

Just because it's predetermined doesn't mean the journey to the destination is.

Or how about...

God knows all outcomes. He knows what will happen if you turn left (2+2+2+2) he knows what happens when you turn right(2+1+1+2+2). Both just like my example above are equally valid and can be known but you are where the choice lies. 

I'm sure none of these will change your mind, but hopefully, it'll give you another perspective. 

34 minutes ago, KayJay1971 said:

Yeah, it’s a unique perspective. I’ve never heard it before. Food for thought. Eye roll. 

14 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yeah, it’s a unique perspective. I’ve never heard it before. Food for thought. Eye roll. 

Because most of the topics around here are unique with unique responses, unbiased opinions, and unquestionable facts

Just now, Frozenbeernuts said:

Because most of the topics around here are unique with unique responses, unbiased opinions, and unquestionable facts

Well, hopefully they aren’t thousands of years old and have been repeated millions of times.   Because  this crap is and has. 

1 hour ago, MDC said:

If you pray and people don’t die, that’s evidence of God’s plan. If they do die, God works in mysterious ways. 

They can’t lose. :thumbsup: 

The Pope announced two months ago that he asked God to end the virus.  I think that the Pope came to a shocking realization recently. 

People who support a party that promotes the idea that there are more than 2 genders, don't get to bash religion or promote science. 

Kapeesh?

2 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

Faith in God is not about wishing for stuff.

You might want to send out a memo then.

If praying makes people feel better that's fine but I find it pretty bizarre especially when they credit prayer when someone lives from covid, cancer ,etc....something that kills others in droves. Did god not care about them? They not pray hard enough? Its mentally delusional. 

4 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I am with you completely in this thread

Just now, drobeski said:

People who support a party that promotes the idea that there are more than 2 genders, don't get to bash religion or promote science. 

Kapeesh?

And people who support a president that's raped 25 women, cheated on all three wives including once when his wife was home with his newborn, throws babies in cages, and mocks cripples aren't allowed to pretend they believe in God. 

2 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

People pray to give themselves hope.

God doesn’t decide a football game because of prayers. 
 If you’re older than 8, you shouldn’t be asking these questions.

37 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

You have a very good logical question and really dives into free will. Here are two examples that might help

2+2+2+2=8

2+1+1+2+2=8

Just because it's predetermined doesn't mean the journey to the destination is.

Or how about...

God knows all outcomes. He knows what will happen if you turn left (2+2+2+2) he knows what happens when you turn right(2+1+1+2+2). Both just like my example above are equally valid and can be known but you are where the choice lies. 

I'm sure none of these will change your mind, but hopefully, it'll give you another perspective. 

Very well said and I completely understand the point you are conveying. I guess my question is more why pray for anything at all? If the outcome is already predetermined your prayer would not change that. I do agree that it gives people a sense that they are doing something to help the situation which could provide them with relief personally. I am not saying people should not pray either. It's not my thing but who am I to say what you or anyone else should do especially in times of crisis. 

libs accept bluehaired nonbinary trans people and they should not be questioned.

but people who pray silly and bad!!!

bizzaro world.

26 minutes ago, Crestwood 2 said:

People pray to give themselves hope.

God doesn’t decide a football game because of prayers. 
 If you’re older than 8, you shouldn’t be asking these questions.

There are a lot of people far more wise than an 8 year old who believe prayer literally played a part in someone's health. 

1 minute ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

There are a lot of people far more wise than an 8 year old who believe prayer literally played a part in someone's health. 

so??? why does that bother you?