Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Praying

Muslims pray three times a day. It’s required. I never pray and yet I’m still allowed to be a catholic. 

2 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

There are a lot of people far more wise than an 8 year old who believe prayer literally played a part in someone's health. 

Are you really an Uber driver in Chicago? PM your # if you want and I’ll just call you directly and pay you. Is that gay??? Lol

3 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

so??? why does that bother you?

It does not bother me. How many times can I say that? Well it does bother me how dilusional my mom is with it, but she is an extreme example. I'm just curious what the gc felt about it. So far the people in here who can give reasoning behind prayer agree it does not have a direct impact on anyone else. 

4 minutes ago, Crestwood 2 said:

Are you really an Uber driver in Chicago? PM your # if you want and I’ll just call you directly and pay you. Is that gay??? Lol

Are you from Crestwood? 

I have Ubered a grand total of about 5 times. It's only when I'm not getting OT at work and I could use some extra money. I have made 20/hour doing it at the right time.

Are you from Crestwood? 

I have Ubered a grand total of about 5 times. It's only when I'm not getting OT at work and I could use some extra money. I have made 20/hour doing it at the right time.

You could make way more than that if you just work a street corner. HTH.

5 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

It does not bother me. How many times can I say that? Well it does bother me how dilusional my mom is with it, but she is an extreme example. I'm just curious what the gc felt about it. So far the people in here who can give reasoning behind prayer agree it does not have a direct impact on anyone else. 

:rolleyes:

you asked the question like a condescending pr;ck but sure you're just curious about others thoughts. seems you already made up your mind.

Just now, Frozenbeernuts said:

Are you from Crestwood? 

Crestwood is just a made up name. I’m not from Chicago or the surrounding area. Just moved here less than a month ago from DC.  Do you live in Chicago.  I live in River North now

3 minutes ago, Crestwood 2 said:

Crestwood is just a made up name. I’m not from Chicago or the surrounding area. Just moved here less than a month ago from DC.  Do you live in Chicago.  I live in River North now

I live in the south suburbs. I grew up in the next town north. I did live in MD for a short period, about 45 mins NW of Baltimore. My gf is from there. I work in the city sometimes, but that has mostly been in the last year with a company who does more work in Chicago than outside the city. 

Been to DC 3 times. Once for the new African American museum. Twice to go to a ramen place I saw on Diners Drive ins and Dives called Tokyo Underground. 

9 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

:rolleyes:

you asked the question like a condescending pr;ck but sure you're just curious about others thoughts. seems you already made up your mind.

I wasn't looking for someone to change my mind. I am curious as to how other people in this forum approach it. I added a little color to the way I phrased it. Don't be so sensitive. Plus most the people who are defining how they view prayer agree that it doesn't directly affect anyone else. 

5 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I live in the south suburbs. I grew up in the next town north. I did live in MD for a short period, about 45 mins NW of Baltimore. My gf is from there. I work in the city sometimes, but that has mostly been in the last year with a company who does more work in Chicago than outside the city. 

Been to DC 3 times. Once for the new African American museum. Twice to go to a ramen place I saw on Diners Drive ins and Dives called Tokyo Underground. 

DC is a great city! Let’s hang out sometime bro. 

Beers on me 👍👍

There are two threads at the top talking about spraying jerk off juice around a gas station bathroom, and people's ball sacks (not that there's anything wrong with those threads) . But yeah my OP is uncalled for 🙄

4 minutes ago, Crestwood 2 said:

DC is a great city! Let’s hang out sometime bro. 

Beers on me 👍👍

I will keep it in mind. When Pritzker finally opens up the state a few years from now I should be able to roam around again. 

I will keep it in mind. When Pritzker finally opens up the state a few years from now I should be able to roam around again. 

Sounds good my man 

50 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

You might want to send out a memo then.

If praying makes people feel better that's fine but I find it pretty bizarre especially when they credit prayer when someone lives from covid, cancer ,etc....something that kills others in droves. Did god not care about them? They not pray hard enough? Its mentally delusional. 

I guess I don't know those people. I guess I never met anyone throughout my 12 years of Catholic school education that didn't believe in modern medicine. Or anyone after that time either. So can't speak for them.

4 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I guess I don't know those people. I guess I never met anyone throughout my 12 years of Catholic school education that didn't believe in modern medicine. Or anyone after that time either. So can't speak for them.

You have never run into the televangelist perpetuators? 

2 hours ago, KayJay1971 said:

Doesn't God have a plan for everyone? That to me would suggest that no matter what we do it is already predetermined. So what is the point of prayer if the result has already been decided? 

ETA - MDC is on the same line of thinking and beat me to it. 

Are you talking about predestination?  Predestination does not take away anyone’s free will.

If you are talking about something else please tell me where you are getting your facts.

Doesn't God have a plan for everyone? That to me would suggest that no matter what we do it is already predetermined. So what is the point of prayer if the result has already been decided? 

ETA - MDC is on the same line of thinking and beat me to it. 

What religion are you speaking of here? I'm not familiar with that belief.

You guys that are so critical of religion are real trailblazers. Such a big risk you take.  

I don't necessarily believe in "God" (the Catholic version... even though I'm... Catholic), as they believe he exists.  I have an idea that there is something out there based on the idea that people have energy and science has proven that energy never dies.  I don't pray because I don't think there's some one/thing specific to pray to.  My dad does every night.  It makes him feel better.  That's all that matters.  He doesn't live every day with the belief that if he prayed for something, that his prayers were answered.  I think that's most people.  I know some here mock praying based on the idea of 'if you pray and it happens, God answered... if you pray and it doesn't happen, God has a plan... win/win", but that's based on ignorance.  People pray for a sense of mental health.  Some people pray for that.  Some people talk to shrinks and pay out their azz for that.  Some people listen to music. Some people take walks.  Mental health comes in all forms and fashion.  Praying is just one of them.

1 hour ago, KayJay1971 said:

Very well said and I completely understand the point you are conveying. I guess my question is more why pray for anything at all? If the outcome is already predetermined your prayer would not change that. I do agree that it gives people a sense that they are doing something to help the situation which could provide them with relief personally. I am not saying people should not pray either. It's not my thing but who am I to say what you or anyone else should do especially in times of crisis. 

That's kind of like asking why meditate or write a pro cons list. 

I don't know how all this works for all I know every choice we make is spun out into another bubble universe. If that's the case then every decision does matter. I'm sure God knows the results of all those spin-offs too. Or maybe there is one universe with one timeline and God knows every choice. He knows it because he can move back and forth we can't and the choice is still ours to have. Just because God can see the results of our choice doesn't mean it wasn't our choice to begin with.

There are infinite ways to write an equation that equals 8. Just because we know the result of that equation and we know that there are infinite possibilities doesn't mean the process is predetermined. It's up to you how you write that equation.

Why are religious people so defensive about their beliefs? If a Christian told me I’m going to hell because I’m a non-believer, I’d say “Okay,” secure in the knowledge that their is no cloud fairy.

Tell a religious person you don’t believe in God and they take it as a personal affront. What gives?

My theory is deep down they know it’s bullshiit too.

3 minutes ago, MDC said:

Why are religious people so defensive about their beliefs? If a Christian told me I’m going to hell because I’m a non-believer, I’d say “Okay,” secure in the knowledge that their is no cloud fairy.

Tell a religious person you don’t believe in God and they take it as a personal affront. What gives?

Who's defensive? If you don't believe in God that's no attack on me. I think you are making stuff up. If you call me names or sonething because of my beliefs, that's different.

• Thanks 1

People making believe they are brave by standing up to religion in the United States in 2020. On the internet. It’s laughable. 

12 minutes ago, MDC said:

my experience is the opposite. atheists always like why do you pray, do you really think there's a god, mocking church, etc blah blah. like they're reaching for something.

never really had anyone tell me im going to hell. besides jehovah witnesses...never even had someone ask me to join anything.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

People making believe they are brave by standing up to religion in the United States in 2020. On the internet. It’s laughable. 

Who would that be?

21 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Who would that be?

The constant cry of religion is stupid around here . So what if it is? The point has been made. It’s about other things at this point. 

1 hour ago, Cdub100 said:

That's kind of like asking why meditate or write a pro cons list. 

I don't know how all this works for all I know every choice we make is spun out into another bubble universe. If that's the case then every decision does matter. I'm sure God knows the results of all those spin-offs too. Or maybe there is one universe with one timeline and God knows every choice. He knows it because he can move back and forth we can't and the choice is still ours to have. Just because God can see the results of our choice doesn't mean it wasn't our choice to begin with.

There are infinite ways to write an equation that equals 8. Just because we know the result of that equation and we know that there are infinite possibilities doesn't mean the process is predetermined. It's up to you how you write that equation.

Fair point. I can appreciate your reasoning here. 

2 hours ago, The Observer said:

And people who support a president that's raped 25 women, cheated on all three wives including once when his wife was home with his newborn, throws babies in cages, and mocks cripples aren't allowed to pretend they believe in God. 

I'm a believer who supports Trump and my answer to that is quite simple as the Bible says,"ALL men have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." All meaning Trump,Obama,The Pope you and I.I didn't vote for Jesus as President I voted for a man who has faults like every single one of us and whose policies were as close to my beliefs as possible.The Bible also says that"All leaders are appointed by God" this again means Trump,Obama,Clinton,Bush etc.

Again if you truly believe the Bible is God's Word then you know He has a greater plan and all these leaders,policies,pandemics etc. are part of that plan that is ultimately setting the stage for His return.

I get it,it sounds like a big fairy tale but quoting the Bible once more it also says "Without the faith of a child you will not inherit the Kingdom of God." How does a child believe?

2 minutes ago, KayJay1971 said:

Fair point. I can appreciate your reasoning here. 

Sorry I can't explain it better.

51 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

my experience is the opposite. atheists always like why do you pray, do you really think there's a god, mocking church, etc blah blah. like they're reaching for something.

never really had anyone tell me im going to hell. besides jehovah witnesses...never even had someone ask me to join anything.

Have you ever IRL actually had an atheist ask you that? Religious people get all kinds of lip service in politics, tax free clubs and special legal rights that aren’t afforded non believers but that’s not good enough. Everybody else has to respect their belief in the pet rock in the sky too.

1 hour ago, MDC said:

The issue is more of people who don't believe... targeting those who do.  For example, this country celebrates Christmas, a Catholic holiday, and now there's a group of people (Democrats), trying to re-write the holiday to make it anti-Christian.  They want to keep the holiday and the events around it (day(s) off and presents), but they want to eliminate the meaning behind it because it's Christian.  Look, if you want to sanitize something, then do it yourself.  Don't force everyone else to have to sanitize it too.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

The issue is more of people who don't believe... targeting those who do.  For example, this country celebrates Christmas, a Catholic holiday, and now there's a group of people (Democrats), trying to re-write the holiday to make it anti-Christian.  They want to keep the holiday and the events around it (day(s) off and presents), but they want to eliminate the meaning behind it because it's Christian.  Look, if you want to sanitize something, then do it yourself.  Don't force everyone else to have to sanitize it too.

Yes I have definitely noticed the conspicuous lack of Christmas related stuff around Christmas time. Why, I actually had a Starbucks barista wish me a “Happy Holidays” once! Can you believe it?

I’m like a modern day Rosa Parks. 😢 

5 minutes ago, MDC said:

Have you ever IRL actually had an atheist ask you that? Religious people get all kinds of lip service in politics, tax free clubs and special legal rights that aren’t afforded non believers but that’s not good enough. Everybody else has to respect their belief in the pet rock in the sky too.

Why do you throw in "the pet rock in the sky"?

See, that's an attack and is what is being talked about here. You don't have to respect my belief if you don't want to. Just don't start burning down churches or raping nuns.

And it's just as easy to say that deep down athiest's beliefs are bullshlt. It goes both ways.

3 minutes ago, MDC said:

That goes for all religions, not just one.  It's a foundation of the country... separation of church and state, the freedom to practice your own religion.  If you don't celebrate a religion, then there's no need for a tax break because you don't have a congregation for the celebration of nothing.  Hence, no tax breaks and what not.

1 minute ago, MDC said:

Yes I have definitely noticed the conspicuous lack of Christmas related stuff around Christmas time. Why, I actually had a Starbucks barista wish me a “Happy Holidays” once! Can you believe it?

Still keeping your head in the sand I see. :dunno:  The funny thing is, you even sanitized Christmas in effort to pretend that it's not happening.  People started saying "Happy Holidays" to remove the word Christmas on purpose.  They used New Year's as an excuse to say "Holiday's" instead of "Christmas".

2 minutes ago, MDC said:

See. You don't keep up. The reason the whole happy holidays thing came up is because people who don't believe got offended at hearing "Merry Christmas".

11 minutes ago, nzoner said:

I'm a believer who supports Trump and my answer to that is quite simple as the Bible says,"ALL men have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." All meaning Trump,Obama,The Pope you and I.I didn't vote for Jesus as President I voted for a man who has faults like every single one of us and whose policies were as close to my beliefs as possible.The Bible also says that"All leaders are appointed by God" this again means Trump,Obama,Clinton,Bush etc.

Again if you truly believe the Bible is God's Word then you know He has a greater plan and all these leaders,policies,pandemics etc. are part of that plan that is ultimately setting the stage for His return.

I get it,it sounds like a big fairy tale but quoting the Bible once more it also says "Without the faith of a child you will not inherit the Kingdom of God." How does a child believe?

Trump isn't a decent guy who occasionally sins. He doesn't have one single virtue that a christian would have. 

I guess my question is more why pray for anything at all? If the outcome is already predetermined your prayer would not change that.

Speaking as a believer I'd also add that think in terms of The Garden of Eden,God created Adam and Eve in a paradise to forever be at peace and dwell with Him and only had one rule,do not eat from the tree of knowledge.The snake i.e. Lucifer ended up tempting Eve to do so and thus she disobeyed allowing sin to enter the world.It was God's plan all along to dwell with His children but He also created us with freewill and unfortunately her choice was the beginning of sin(disobeying God) in the world.

To really visualize it I always like the scene from old cartoons where an angel is on one shoulder and the devil on another both whispering in the character's ear.Yes,God has a plan for us all His Word says,"He knew us before we were even created in the womb and has a plan for us all." So although He has a plan the deciding factor is which voice we listen to that guides our steps in life.

Therefore,a believer reads the Bible and gets their instructions from there as once again it says," The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way."

3 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

See. You don't keep up. The reason the whole happy holidays thing came up is because people who don't believe got offended at hearing "Merry Christmas".

The best part of it that the people who get all in a tizzy about "Christmas".... STILL CELEBRATE IT!!!

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

The best part of it that the people who get all in a tizzy about "Christmas".... STILL CELEBRATE IT!!!

Yep. :lol: