Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Praying

6 minutes ago, The Observer said:

Trump isn't a decent guy who occasionally sins. He doesn't have one single virtue that a christian would have. 

Again I didn't vote for a Christian.

I think the best way to explain is to use the story of Jesus and the adultress.The law stated that she should be stoned to death and before she was the men asked Jesus what he thought and his reply IMO was one we should all adhere to,"you who are without sin cast the first stone." Every single one of them dropped their stones.

5 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

See. You don't keep up. The reason the whole happy holidays thing came up is because people who don't believe got offended at hearing "Merry Christmas".

Does it really bother you that much to have Christmas lumped in with Hanukkah, Kwanza, Festivus etc. in a general Happy Holidays instead of being singled out and special? 😢 

19 hours ago, nzoner said:

Again I didn't vote for a Christian.

I think the best way to explain is to use the story of Jesus and the adultress.The law stated that she should be stoned to death and before she was the men asked Jesus what he thought and his reply IMO was one we should all adhere to,"you who are without sin cast the first stone."

They throw stones at half buried women in the middle east all the time. Newbie sides with them though. So it must be ok.

4 minutes ago, MDC said:

Does it really bother you that much to have Christmas lumped in with Hanukkah, Kwanza, Festivus etc. in a general Happy Holidays instead of being singled out and special? 😢 

Christmas is Christmas. And this is primarily a christian nation and for those to be offended by people saying Merry Christmas sounds like those who are getting angry. 

1 minute ago, Utilit99 said:

Never has and never will. But this is primarily a christian nation and for those to be offended by people saying Merry Christmas sounds like those who are getting angry. 

Nailed it.  If I say Merry Christmas to someone, it's because the odds are, they celebrate Christmas.  If that person says, "I celebrate Hanukkah", I'll say Hanukkah to them next time.  I mean, why reduce people's choices to a mean nothing word?   Why not personalize it?  I think it's more appropriate that way.  I'd rather have someone say "Happy Hanukkah" to me because they're Jewish that reduce the concept of the holiday seasons to a mean nothing word.

4 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Christmas is Christmas. And this is primarily a christian nation and for those to be offended by people saying Merry Christmas sounds like those who are getting angry. 

Sounds like you’re the one offended, chuckles. What do the other offshore men on your shrimping vessel think?

1 minute ago, Utilit99 said:

That's what the Bible calls the spirit of anti-christ,God out of schools,Christ out of Christmas,heh even recently there was a tweet by a couple of radicals that said,"F*** a National Day Of Prayer" when our President supported it.There are few boundaries anymore and more slipping away by the day.

2 minutes ago, MDC said:

Sounds like you’re the one offended, chuckles. What do the other offshore men on your shrimping vessel think?

How do I sound offended? That's kinda weird.

18 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

The best part of it that the people who get all in a tizzy about "Christmas".... STILL CELEBRATE IT!!!

Bingo. Seriously, STFU if you exchange presents on Dec 25. Or do anything Christmas related. Mocking what you participate in is a lot dumber than praying.  

39 minutes ago, MDC said:

Have you ever IRL actually had an atheist ask you that? Religious people get all kinds of lip service in politics, tax free clubs and special legal rights that aren’t afforded non believers but that’s not good enough. Everybody else has to respect their belief in the pet rock in the sky too.

Even you haven't made fun of prayer or belief, because you didn't use all of the Jesus accepted words to describe parts of the religion, that's still making fun of it

They don’t want to offend anyone but they are fine with X-Mas.  

5 hours ago, tanatastic said:

This is sad about your mother. Prayer is just holding your hands together and talking. There’s no such thing as magic lol. The fact that this needs to be said and that adults will now come for me against this opinion (it’s more fact, I’m calling it opinion out of respect) is...oof. 

Prayer as a form of meditation or centering yourself or gathering thoughts etc is fine. Prayer with the expectation of magical communication with omnipotent sorcerers and real life application is loony tunes.

I came here to talk about meditation.  My wife and I are trying to learn it via an app.  One "session" had us focus on a friend and send them positive thoughts.  Hmm I thought, sorta like a prayer.  When I see multiple cultures do similar things, and do them for thousands of years, I tend to think there is something to it.  The question is... what is the "something"?  I think we can agree that there is a benefit to the prayER in feeling that they did something positive, but what about the prayEE?

I propose that in many ways, there can be.  If I see the friend I thought about in the exercise above, and I smile in his presence thinking about that exercise, that is a positive energy which they can feel.  Perhaps something is bothering him and seeing my smile makes him think just a little bit that things will get better, and he takes a more positive attitude.  It doesn't even have to be the prayEE -- we did the above exercise at the top of a mountain during a hike.  Perhaps while walking back down the mountain I pass another hiker while thinking about that exercise and he feels a positive vibe.  Perhaps that helps him as well.

If I pray for a sick friend, and they pass away, and I then pray for their soul... and I go to the funeral and I hug his wife (34D hottie for this exercise), and I exude a slight calm and confidence because I've prayed for her husband, that may be of help.  Perhaps she has been depressed and thinking of suicide, but something in my attitude makes her think that her husband is at peace and that she will be OK.

Now, does my meditation travel thru space to my friend, or does my prayer influence a judeo-christian god?  Personally I don't believe so but I'm willing to admit that I don't know.  We learned from Einstein that energy and matter are tightly related, and I will say that there is potentially a lot we don't know about different forms of energy.

We can now return to smartz people like MDC using insults to not insult people who have certain beliefs.  :)

P.S.  If what I said above is true, this bored is a black hole for positive energy.  :o

3 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

proved my point

That I don’t believe in God? I would’ve told you that.

4 minutes ago, porkbutt said:

proved my point

I wonder how these geniuses feel about all the religious people that are way more successful  than they are?. Way more. 

2 hours ago, MDC said:

MDC thinks that when I say I work at nights sometimes with offshore personnel, that I am on a shrimping vessel.

I think senility has set in. :(

Where has naomi been, anyway?  :(

15 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

The constant cry of religion is stupid around here . So what if it is? The point has been made. It’s about other things at this point. 

Kind of sums up the political talk around here as well.  No one is changing minds.  What has been said continues to be said daily.  Yet many here continue to beat that drum over and over and over.

As for religion, I am not religious.  My father is, but he is very old.  Times have changed.   I see it helping many people in many different situations.  And I have no problem with it.  Other than a couple family members upset at the push back I gave it as a kid, I have never really had it pushed upon me. 

Different strokes for different folks in this case.   I think it helps people much more than it hurts people....at least in this country.   Even if I dont think any of it is true.  

14 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I wonder how these geniuses feel about all the religious people that are way more successful  than they are?. Way more. 

Define success. Does success mean swindling people out if their money under the ruse of religion ie Kenneth Copeland? 

I don't even understand your point. There are a ton of poor people in inner cities and smaller rural communities who are deeply religious. 

15 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I came here to talk about meditation.  My wife and I are trying to learn it via an app.  One "session" had us focus on a friend and send them positive thoughts.  Hmm I thought, sorta like a prayer.  When I see multiple cultures do similar things, and do them for thousands of years, I tend to think there is something to it.  The question is... what is the "something"?  I think we can agree that there is a benefit to the prayER in feeling that they did something positive, but what about the prayEE?

I propose that in many ways, there can be.  If I see the friend I thought about in the exercise above, and I smile in his presence thinking about that exercise, that is a positive energy which they can feel.  Perhaps something is bothering him and seeing my smile makes him think just a little bit that things will get better, and he takes a more positive attitude.  It doesn't even have to be the prayEE -- we did the above exercise at the top of a mountain during a hike.  Perhaps while walking back down the mountain I pass another hiker while thinking about that exercise and he feels a positive vibe.  Perhaps that helps him as well.

If I pray for a sick friend, and they pass away, and I then pray for their soul... and I go to the funeral and I hug his wife (34D hottie for this exercise), and I exude a slight calm and confidence because I've prayed for her husband, that may be of help.  Perhaps she has been depressed and thinking of suicide, but something in my attitude makes her think that her husband is at peace and that she will be OK.

Now, does my meditation travel thru space to my friend, or does my prayer influence a judeo-christian god?  Personally I don't believe so but I'm willing to admit that I don't know.  We learned from Einstein that energy and matter are tightly related, and I will say that there is potentially a lot we don't know about different forms of energy.

We can now return to smartz people like MDC using insults to not insult people who have certain beliefs.  :)

P.S.  If what I said above is true, this bored is a black hole for positive energy.  :o

I don't think anyone who prays for someone else ever feels bad afterward. Like damn, I really shouldn't have prayed for that . It seems like it's something that's great for the one praying.

1 hour ago, listen2me 23 said:

Kind of sums up the political talk around here as well.  No one is changing minds.  What has been said continues to be said daily.  Yet many here continue to beat that drum over and over and over.

As for religion, I am not religious.  My father is, but he is very old.  Times have changed.   I see it helping many people in many different situations.  And I have no problem with it.  Other than a couple family members upset at the push back I gave it as a kid, I have never really had it pushed upon me. 

Different strokes for different folks in this case.   I think it helps people much more than it hurts people....at least in this country.   Even if I dont think any of it is true.  

No it doesn’t. Politics are fluid. 

Just now, Frozenbeernuts said:

I don't think anyone who prays for someone else ever feels bad afterward. Like damn, I really shouldn't have prayed for that . It seems like it's something that's great for the one praying.

It's a delusional mind fock. You're not having any conversation with God or talking to God nor is some god most prevalent in the geographic area you happen to be born speaking to you.

It's been said several times in this thread. It makes them feel better for themselves. Which is fine. I don't have any problem with that if you want to pray to the flying spaghetti monster or purple unicorns or whatever. Just don't make laws based off of it

6 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Define success. Does success mean swindling people out if their money under the ruse of religion ie Kenneth Copeland? 

I don't even understand your point. There are a ton of poor people in inner cities and smaller rural communities who are deeply religious. 

and there are plenty of religious people that are incredibly successful. I guess they aren’t that stupid then. And there are a lot more non religious dopes in the ghetto than there are religious. 

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

and there are plenty of religious people that are incredibly successful. I guess they aren’t that stupid then. And there are a lot more non religious dopes in the ghetto than there are religious. 

You are really stretching to make a correlation between religion and success that's just not there

17 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

The constant cry of religion is stupid around here . So what if it is? The point has been made. It’s about other things at this point. 

Who would that be?

Just now, cyclone24 said:

You are really stretching to make a correlation between religion and success that's just not there

Not at all. I’m pointing out that those that come off with this religious people are stupid narrative over and over need to explain why all these religious people are more successful then they are, if they’re so stupid? 

2 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Who would that be?

An unwarranted  feeling of superiority and intellect. And politics. 

9 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

There are wealthy child molesters out there too.

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Not at all. I’m pointing out that those that come off with this religious people are stupid narrative over and over need to explain why all these religious people are more successful then they are, if they’re so stupid? 

They are stupid because they think they speak to a god, or that that god exists because of the bible but you ask them to prove an after life exists without using the bible? Crickets.

Lots of people that believe in liberal ideologies are successful too and they are batshiit crazy

15 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

No it doesn’t. Politics are fluid. 

Politics are fluid.  But the premise of the threads stay the same.  Along with the baiting by each side and passive aggressive insults.

Only so many ways you can say the left supports violent criminalsand illegals.  Only so many ways the left can criticize Trump or guns.  

The articles change.  The commentary remains the same.

10 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Politics are fluid.  But the premise of the threads stay the same.  Along with the baiting by each side and passive aggressive insults.

Only so many ways you can say the left supports violent criminalsand illegals.  Only so many ways the left can criticize Trump or guns.  

The articles change.  The commentary remains the same.

People can be swayed. Just like religion. Plenty of people stop being religious because of the other side pointing out it’s shortcomings. But the blanket “they’re stupid” isn’t a valid reason. I don’t  think all liberals are stupid. I just think they are wrong on a lot of things,  but not all things. Do you think religious people get everything wrong? That would be stupid. 

17 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Nailed it.  If I say Merry Christmas to someone, it's because the odds are, they celebrate Christmas.  If that person says, "I celebrate Hanukkah", I'll say Hanukkah to them next time.  I mean, why reduce people's choices to a mean nothing word?   Why not personalize it?  I think it's more appropriate that way.  I'd rather have someone say "Happy Hanukkah" to me because they're Jewish that reduce the concept of the holiday seasons to a mean nothing word.

That 'War on Christmas' thing is totally made up BS.  No one cares if anyone says Merry Christmas. Jews don't care.  Some people say Happy Holidays to include everyone, but I've never heard of a single person giving a rat's ass what anyone says.  Just conservative drivel to make themselves feel like their traditions are being stripped away.

1 minute ago, The Observer said:

That 'War on Christmas' thing is totally made up BS.  No one cares if anyone says Merry Christmas. Jews don't care.  Some people say Happy Holidays to include everyone, but I've never heard of a single person giving a rat's ass what anyone says.  Just conservative drivel to make themselves feel like their traditions are being stripped away.

X-mas is an accepted term. I’d say that strips something away. No other religious holiday gets that treatment. Overblown? Maybe. But it exists. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

X-mas is an accepted term. I’d say that strips something away. No other religious holiday gets that treatment. Overblown? Maybe. But it exists. 

To have a war on something, there has to be an enemy. Or opposition of some type. Nobody cares if someone says Merry Christmas.  EVER

1 minute ago, The Observer said:

To have a war on something, there has to be an enemy. Or opposition of some type. Nobody cares if someone says Merry Christmas.  EVER

You didn’t address the term I mentioned. 

29 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

An unwarranted  feeling of superiority and intellect. And politics. 

And who would that be?

11 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

People can be swayed. Just like religion. Plenty of people stop being religious because of the other side pointing out it’s shortcomings. But the blanket “they’re stupid” isn’t a valid reason. I don’t  think all liberals are stupid. I just think they are wrong on a lot of things,  but not all things. Do you think religious people get everything wrong? That would be stupid. 

You may not.  But I see plenty of posters here who literally say "liberals are stupid" every single day.

Not that I am liberal or offended.  Im just saying to act like religion bashing is prevalent here is a bit of an exaggeration.   Especially compared to the poltical commentary here.  

I actually think there is very little religion talk.   More pointing at the "constant crying of religion" quote.

8 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

And who would that be?

Anyone who says religion or religious people are stupid. Some of them are. Many of them aren’t.  I manage to go about my life without religion getting in the way. Except for religious terrorists. And possibly other groups that won’t get vaccinated. Perhaps the criticism should be directed at them more for their behavior. If they didn’t behave that way in the name of their religion I wouldn’t give a shite who or what they pray to or worship.  

18 minutes ago, The Observer said:

The sad thing about this... is that you actually believe that this is true.

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I wrote out a long, thoughtful post on the possible powers of prayer/meditation on people around you, and this is what you got out of it?  Something that was agreed upon in my first paragraph as a given?  Did you even read my post?  If so it doesn't appear that there is a discussion to be had after all.  :(