Sign in to follow this  
TommyGavin

What do you pickle

So this weekend I made homemade pickles - spicy plus horseradish. 

Then pickled red onions in red wine vinegar then same with radishes. 

Soft boiled 1/2 dozen eggs and marinated them in a spicy Asian concoction. 

I’ll let you know in a week or so. 

• Like 2

When I was cooking professionally I would make various relishes and chutneys, but didn't do much pickling.  Seems to be a more recent trend (last 5-10 years).

Picked Beets.  Preferably red.

But in the south (Maybe just eastern North Carolina) there is a thing called Chow-Chow.

My aunt Janice cans it every year and I ask for two.  I’m not entirely sure exactly all the ingredients but from what I can gather It’s pickled onions, peppers, cabbage, plus some heat, maybe hot peppers plus spices.   It’s a thick, robust relish; stuff is legit.  A great condiment to field peas, butter beans or even a hotdog / brats.

ETA:  on an occasional late drunken night,  I’ll grab a spoon full of Chow-Chow out of the mason jar, taste the past,  then go to bed with a smile.  

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

Picked Beets.  Preferably red.

But in the south (Maybe just eastern North Carolina) there is a thing called Chow-Chow.

My aunt Janice cans it every year and I ask for two.  I’m not entirely sure exactly all the ingredients but from what I can gather It’s pickled onions, peppers, cabbage, plus some heat, maybe hot peppers plus spices.   It’s a thick, robust relish; stuff is legit.  A great condiment to field peas, butter beans or even a hotdog / brats.

ETA:  on an occasional late drunken night,  I’ll grab a spoon full of Chow-Chow out of the mason jar, taste the past,  then go to bed with a smile.  

I just got a boner. I must find this chow chow