Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

Twitter labeled Trump tweets with a fact check for the first time

CNN

For the first time, Twitter has labeled a tweet from President Donald Trump as misleading.

On Tuesday, the social media company highlighted two of Trump's tweets that falsely claimed mail-in ballots would lead to widespread voter fraud.

"Get the facts about mail-in ballots," read a message beneath each tweet. It linked to a fact-check page the platform had created filled with further links and summaries of news articles debunking the assertion.

Twitter said the move was aimed at providing "context" around Trump's remarks. But Twitter's unprecedented decision is likely to raise further questions about its willingness to consistently apply the label to other Trump tweets that have been deemed misleading by third parties, particularly as the president has lobbed baseless allegations against former Rep. Joe Scarborough regarding the death of a congressional staffer years ago...

Twitter said Tuesday that Trump's tweets about mail-in voting did not violate the company's rules because they don't explicitly discourage people from voting. But, the company said, the label offers context surrounding Trump's claims.

"These Tweets (here and here) contain potentially misleading information about voting processes and have been labeled to provide additional context around mail-in ballots," Twitter spokesperson Katie Rosborough told CNN Business in an email. "This decision is in line with the approach we shared earlier this month."

Hmmm.... I'm sure this new found labeling ability will be applied equally.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Did they fact check Biden's 'if you don't know who you are going to vote for you aren't black'?

13 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Did they fact check Biden's 'if you don't know who you are going to vote for you aren't black'?

Hey now, Biden is going to beat Biden. No fact check needed.

17 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Old puddin head didn't tweet that, he actually said those words. And the left claims President Trump is divisive. :lol:

About focking time.  Anyone else in the country would be in a jail cell if they said the things Trump says. 

I will assume there will be a truly nonpartisan group to do this for all tweets from all politicians going forward.  

3 minutes ago, The Observer said:

About focking time.  Anyone else in the country would be in a jail cell if they said the things Trump says. 

FREEDOM OF SPEECH  FREEDOM OF SPEECH FREEDOM OF SPEECH  FREEDOM OF SPEECH FREEDOM OF SPEECH  FREEDOM OF SPEECH

10 minutes ago, joneo said:

FREEDOM OF SPEECH  FREEDOM OF SPEECH FREEDOM OF SPEECH  FREEDOM OF SPEECH FREEDOM OF SPEECH  FREEDOM OF SPEECH

There are libel, slander, and defamation of character laws that coexist with freedom of speech. 

54 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

On Tuesday, the social media company highlighted two of Trump's tweets that falsely claimed mail-in ballots would lead to widespread voter fraud.

How could they label them as false?  We don't know what is going to happen this election...  Twitter seeing the future now?

Now they are going to have to label another of his tweets as misleading and attach a fact-check.  Poor fact-checker is going to be busy.  

Meh. The Trump campaign welcomes this battle. He is all about being the victim. Poor me.  Everyone's out to get me.  They'll use this for fundraising.  

Easy win for Trump, good luck on this battle Twitter, you're gonna need it.

Just now, Reality said:

Easy win for Trump, good luck on this battle Twitter, you're gonna need it.

Trump's free to leave Twitter any time he wants. He can make Tik Toks. Or Facebook.  Or message board.  He doesn't set Twitter's rules.  And Twitter doesn't have to subject itself to libel claims. 

I wonder if Trump said you're not black if you don't know who you are going to vote for. 

You would think the bigger story would be twitter being able to see the future. 

1 minute ago, Utilit99 said:

I wonder if Trump said you're not black if you don't know who you are going to vote for. 

I wonder how many times you will bring up this false equivalence?  

2 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Yeah. "false equivalence". :banana:

So let me get this straight....

Twitter "fact checks" a Trump tweet with opinions from CNN and WaPo?

🤣

@jack is now on suicide watch.

Sell your Twitter stock

Trump responds:

@Twitter is now interfering in the 2020 Presidential Election. They are saying my statement on Mail-In Ballots, which will lead to massive corruption and fraud, is incorrect, based on fact-checking by Fake News CNN and the Amazon Washington Post

....Twitter is completely stifling FREE SPEECH, and I, as President, will not allow it to happen!
5:40 PM · May 26, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Once again, 45 D chess.

Twitter is focked.

Let's see how this plays out.

3 minutes ago, Intense Observer said:

So let me get this straight....

Twitter "fact checks" a Trump tweet with opinions from CNN and WaPo?

🤣

@jack is now on suicide watch.

Sell your Twitter stock

These idiots hand Trump so much firepower and they never realize it. It's hilarious to watch.

10 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Indulge me. Why do you consider this a false equivalence?

37 minutes ago, posty said:

How could they label them as false?  We don't know what is going to happen this election...  Twitter seeing the future now?

The part about the governor mailing out ballots to everyone living in the state is absolutely incorrect, so you can flag it right there.   

4 minutes ago, Reality said:

These idiots hand Trump so much firepower and they never realize it. It's hilarious to watch.

Perhaps Trump will finally produce some facts that show mail in ballots lend themselves to fraud.  Here's his big chance.  I'll wait 

6 minutes ago, joneo said:

Indulge me. Why do you consider this a false equivalence?

Because Trump's tweet can be fact-checked as I stated above(California ballots), IE proven right or wrong.  Biden's statement, while stupid, is an opinion(not to mention, not a tweet).  Apples and oranges.

Also, we don't need to overlook that Util is just clearly trolling and deflecting, as usual.  My big mistake was indulging him.   

4 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Because Trump's tweet can be fact-checked as I stated above(California ballots), IE proven right or wrong.  Biden's statement, while stupid, is an opinion(not to mention, not a tweet).  Apples and oranges.

Also, we don't need to overlook that Util is just clearly trolling and deflecting, as usual.  My big mistake was indulging him.   

When was the last time California mailed ballots to every registered voter?

11 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Trump's comment is an opinion as well...  Doesn't matter if it is a Tweet or over the airwaves, still the same...  And as Reality said above, when was the last time California mailed ballots to every voter?  Where is that money coming from to mail all of those ballots?

Postal worker in West Virginia arrested and charged today for tampering with mail in ballots.  Nice work Twitter. 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Postal worker in West Virginia arrested and charged today for tampering with mail in ballots.  Nice work Twitter. 

I'm sure the postal worker will apologize for being too cavalier. No harm no foul. 

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Poor Trump. Always the victim. 

Nah. He won in 2016 against killary and has a chance to win in 2020. Dude wins daily at the expense of the left.  :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Nah. He won in 2016 against killary and has a chance to win in 2020. Dude wins daily at the expense of the left.  :thumbsup:

So, why does he complain so damn much? Why does he play the victim so often?

32 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

So, why does he complain so damn much? Why does he play the victim so often?

I imagine if you were to have a ton of lefties looking into your business and doing nothing else for 3+ years and find nothing and still whining about you, you would get crabby too.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

I imagine if you were to have a ton of lefties looking into your business and doing nothing else for 3+ years and find nothing and still whining about you, you would get crabby too.

I thought he was an alpha male?

9 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

This is the problem we are facing. It's no longer the goal of our politicians for everyone to win. It has to be coupled with a loss for the other side. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Leeson said:

This is the problem we are facing. It's no longer the goal of our politicians for everyone to win. It has to be coupled with a loss for the other side. 

It has always been about winning.  If it didn't piss off the liberals I don't think Trump would've been elected in the first place.