Sign in to follow this  
The Observer

Trump's Social Media Executive Order

Proposed draft has the following items:

1. Changes to Section 230 of Communications Decency Act

2. Tracking how companies moderate content

3. Tool for reporting censorship

4. "Watch List" of user interaction with content

Only part of that which concerns me is the creation and monitoring of watch-lists of users based on interactions with content or other users.  That's about as 'Big Brother" as it gets.   I know it's hard to not root for your team's uniform, but taking a step back and pretending you don't know this is a Trump plan, does anyone else have a problem with monitoring and tracking people who speak out against the government? 

14 minutes ago, The Observer said:

Only part of that which concerns me is the creation and monitoring of watch-lists of users based on interactions with content or other users.  That's about as 'Big Brother" as it gets.   I know it's hard to not root for your team's uniform, but taking a step back and pretending you don't know this is a Trump plan, does anyone else have a problem with monitoring and tracking people who speak out against the government? 

Almost as bad as forced contact tracing and forced quarantine,  but not. 

Big tech needs to be reminded that the internet doesn’t belong to them.  Just like the airwaves.  

46 minutes ago, The Observer said:

We'll see what's actually in the EO before we get too upset....but yeah, a watch list?  Not a fan at all.  

Trump is the type of person who threatens legal action  just to make a point. This EO probably won’t go any further than his many libel suits against news outlets. 

1 minute ago, MDC said:

Trump is the type of person who threatens legal action  just to make a point. This EO probably won’t go any further than his many libel suits against news outlets. 

Yeah, I think this is likely correct.

Trump doesn’t want members of Congress that are crafting legislation to clamp down on big tech to get all the credit. There are some Democrats on board with this as well. Well, they were until Trump was. Nobody likes big tech. People that work in big tech don’t even like them. Trump is getting out front is all. 

9 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Trump doesn’t want members of Congress that are crafting legislation to clamp down on big tech to get all the credit. There are some Democrats on board with this as well. Well, they were until Trump was. Nobody likes big tech. People that work in big tech don’t even like them. Trump is getting out front is all. 

You're even cool with the watch list part?

1 minute ago, The Observer said:

At a high level I'm not, but I'm not sure what this "watch list" is.  In case anyone didn't know, the government already monitors social media.  Just saying.  :dunno:

6 minutes ago, The Observer said:

Probably not.  Unlike you, I see this for what it is. Let me know when the watchlist is formed and instituted. You people have no clue about populism. That’s why you lost.  

Just now, wiffleball said:

Trump going to war with social media companies is like the Kardashians banning makeup.

Would love to see twitter ban his account. He'd lose his focking mind. His Alzheimers would go to 11

4 hours ago, The Observer said:

So what is this watchlist thing?  I watched his presser and no clarity.  What will cause you to be on a watchlist?  

3 minutes ago, The Observer said:

Would love to see twitter ban his account. He'd lose his focking mind. His Alzheimers would go to 11

Yeah no different than him limiting membership to Mar a Lago.  He cant get out of his own way sometimes.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Fireballer said:

So what is this watchlist thing?  I watched his presser and no clarity.  What will cause you to be on a watchlist?  

It wasn't clear in the draft that was released either.  I didn't see him on TV, did he take questions?  I would have thought someone like Jeffrey Mason or Kaitlyn Collins would have asked him about it.

Just now, The Observer said:

It wasn't clear in the draft that was released either.  I didn't see him on TV, did he take questions?  I would have thought someone like Jeffrey Mason or Kaitlyn Collins would have asked him about it.

He did take some questions but of course his answers didnt clear things up.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, The Observer said:

NewbieBot, getting the Trump=Alzheimers=mental decline message out there, as often as possible, as his MSM masters instruct.  The more we hear it, the more some people will believe it.  :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

NewbieBot, getting the Trump=Alzheimers=mental decline message out there, as often as possible, as his MSM masters instruct.  The more we hear it, the more some people will believe it.  :thumbsup:

Sorry to ruffle your feathers Jerry. It must be uncomfortable realizing your Messiah is deep into mental decline. It seems to trigger you every time it's mentioned.  So sad. 

35 minutes ago, The Observer said:

Making fun of folks with disabilities now.  Classy.

3 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Making fun of folks with disabilities now.  Classy.

Oh stop it. He's hilarious.  

15 minutes ago, The Observer said:

Sorry to ruffle your feathers Jerry. It must be uncomfortable realizing your Messiah is deep into mental decline. It seems to trigger you every time it's mentioned.  So sad. 

Says the guy that wants this for President..  :lol:

All of a sudden, Republicans have a problem with corporate monopolies. Looking forward to the executive order against Wallmart and the Walton family.

2 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

Says the guy that wants this for President..  :lol:

I have addressed this several times in the past. Both of them have lost a step mentally. No doubt about it. One is forgetful and confused at times. The other is always angry, always paranoid, and cares about no one but himself. Trump's mental decline is even worse because he had a horrible personality disorder to begin with. I would much rather drink spoiled milk than arsenic. As much as it sucks, we have the choice between two mentally unstable old men. I'll take someone who isn't a corrupt criminal.

12 minutes ago, donkeyjotes said:

All of a sudden, Republicans have a problem with corporate monopolies. Looking forward to the executive order against Wallmart and the Walton family.

Big tech bigger and more powerful than those. But fock them too. 

2 minutes ago, The Observer said:

I have addressed this several times in the past. Both of them have lost a step mentally. No doubt about it. One is forgetful and confused at times. The other is always angry, always paranoid, and cares about no one but himself. Trump's mental decline is even worse because he had a horrible personality disorder to begin with. I would much rather drink spoiled milk than arsenic. As much as it sucks, we have the choice between two mentally unstable old men. I'll take someone who isn't a corrupt criminal.

What you see as Trump in decline many of us see as Trump hitting back at a constant barrage of attacks from the media and political left.  Pretty much everyone agrees that Joe has lost it but his voters motto seems to be "He is no worse than the other guy".  At least Trump has supporters that see what the left is trying to do to him.  In the end it does not matter because my minutes and your hours spent here arguing here each day will change no one's mind or vote.

I would love to see the government force Google, FB, Twitter to split into smaller companies.

8 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

What you see as Trump in decline many of us see as Trump hitting back at a constant barrage of attacks from the media and political left.  Pretty much everyone agrees that Joe has lost it but his voters motto seems to be "He is no worse than the other guy".  At least Trump has supporters that see what the left is trying to do to him.  In the end it does not matter because my minutes and your hours spent here arguing here each day will change no one's mind or vote.

You would be hard pressed to find another person that could handle the barrage of garbage that the left has been throwing at Trump over the past 3+ years. And nothing legit was found on the guy to boot. Just a a daily constant blast of accusations. Most vetted president in the history of this country and he is still standing tall.

TDS is a real thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fireballer said:

He did take some questions but of course his answers didnt clear things up.

So he acts like a politician like people claimed that he doesn't do... and now he's getting flack for it.  :dunno:

Social media already has "Watch Lists", so I'm guessing that the EO is going to be a central station as to who controls the watch list.

Personally, I think all social media should be shut down.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Social media already has "Watch Lists", so I'm guessing that the EO is going to be a central station as to who controls the watch list.

Personally, I think all social media should be shut down.

Social media does have watch lists - and all of them only have conservatives on those lists.  Not a single liberal on any watch list.

1 minute ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Social media does have watch lists - and all of them only have conservatives on those lists.  Not a single liberal on any watch list.

Which is why I will always maintain that the Democrat party is the biggest terrorist threat to this country.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

You would be hard pressed to find another person that could handle the barrage of garbage that the left has been throwing at Trump over the past 3+ years. And nothing legit was found on the guy to boot. Just a a daily constant blast of accusations. Most vetted president in the history of this country and he is still standing tall.

TDS is a real thing.

Yes. Trump's a victim. Lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bill E. said:

.  In the end it does not matter because my minutes and your hours spent here arguing 

Lol

TDS is strong with Newbie...

He can’t get Trump out of his mind...  He loves him so...

I love this EO but I don’t like the idea of watch lists. I’ll wait to see what the EO encompasses. I have a hunch this is ‘watch list’ is not real but instead, a journalistic poison pill to sour the public on the action. Or not. I’ll look closely but there’s is no appetite for that.

It basically amounts to nothing. A bunch of threats that Trump doesn't even have the power to enact. It was just him having a hissy fit because Twitter finally called him out for his lies.Twitter showed just how scared they are by flagging another of his tweets overnight.

Twitter labels a couple of his tweets and he runs to the justice dept...he's turning into President Karen!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Twitter labels a couple of his tweets and he runs to the justice dept...he's turning into President Karen!

🤣  Well played sir....