Sign in to follow this  
stonewall

Brees getting roasted for his opinion on anthem kneeling

https://sports.yahoo.com/fury-saints-ace-brees-criticises-nfl-kneeling-protests-222543091--nfl.html

Not here to stir up a stink, as I hope that we can all agree that what happened to George Floyd was horrendous, as has been the violence and destruction that has occurred in America since. However, Drew Brees is not only an important fantasy player, but one of the "faces" of the NFL. It is his opinion/conviction that kneeling during the National Anthem, regardless of the stated cause, is disrespectful to our flag, nation, and veterans. He is currently getting ripped a new one, including by his own teammates.....including Michael Thomas. This development, of course, could plausibly have an impact on fantasy teams if a rift develops or the relationship deteriorates. 

Brees has always been lauded as one of the NFL's "good guys"....but that has not exempted him from the firestorm. It will be interesting to see if he rolls over under pressure, or stands pat with his opinion. 

It sure we’ll be, if you look up what Brees has stood for in the past, he has changed it tune at times, when faced with this kind of back lash. 

I just took a look and some interesting things he’s said about being a Christian, and then we’ll he went back on the fence, from what I read.  

Interesting situation.  

Wasn't this started or at least heavily fueled by LeBron James, huge supporter of the Chinese Communist Party?

9 minutes ago, polecatt said:

Wasn't this started or at least heavily fueled by LeBron James, huge supporter of the Chinese Communist Party?

Yup LBJ definitely added fuel to the fire. When he speaks people listen. This was his tweet:

15 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Yup LBJ definitely added fuel to the fire. When he speaks people listen. This was his tweet:

Exactly, which is why when he stays silent about the biggest human rights abusers on the planet, when given a golden opportunity to speak out, because he's afraid it will cost him money it's despicable.

Yes, we do have freedom of speech," James said in response to a question about whether Morey should be punished for his tweet. "But at times, there are ramifications for the negative that can happen when you're not thinking about others, when you only think about yourself."

"So many people could have been harmed, not only financially but physically, emotionally, spiritually," James said during the seven-minute news conference. "Just be careful what we tweet and what we say and what we do. Even though yes, we do have freedom of speech, it can be a lot of negative that comes with it."

But today we should be standing behind black protesters because its the right thing to do. 

This whole situation is nauseating. The narrative being pushed after the riots was how we all need to have honest conversations about race relations, police violence, etc. Brees steps up gives his honest heartfelt opinion and since it differs from the views of some he is immediately labeled and a Racist and was told he should shut the F up. Heaven forbid he doesn't feel kneeling is the way to heal the country. 

• Thanks 1

He's not wrong, but man was his timing horrific. 

And once again he didn’t stand up for what he believes.  

His own fame changed his way of thinking, I think that’s sad, so when they speak , who do you trust.  

I said it back when it first happen with Kap, I had no problem with them kneeling during the anthem, and I still feel the same, even when many on here didn’t agree, to be a person that one should follow and trust, stand up for your feelings, and stick to them, no matter what persecution you we’ll face. 

I recall a few years ago talking about how I rank my players, and how I will draft my players based solely on my own rankings, and was told by another person, that they don’t ever draft based by their own rankings, because they didn’t want to be mocked at their live draft. 

How people feel about something might not be the way I see it, and that’s great, but just stick with how you feel, I think D Brees once again caved in when I read his so called apology, I get why he caved in, but he just lied to himself with todays apology, that’s not the way he feels, but he wants to win over his teammates and fans.  

I find it sad that one doesn’t just stand up for what they know and or believe is true. 

Thanks for this tread. 

I think Brees is right.  I don't have a problem with people/players protesting... only HOW.  You want to protest, do it on your time.  Get together and come up with something constructive.  DON'T do it during the National Anthem.... it's counter productive because people who don't like you doing it, will turn a blind eye to your cause.

On a football note... I think Brees just guaranteed that Tampa won the division.

• Like 1

Lol TB.  

And please if your going to protest, don’t destroy businesses and personal property.  

56 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I think Brees is right.  I don't have a problem with people/players protesting... only HOW.  You want to protest, do it on your time.  Get together and come up with something constructive.  DON'T do it during the National Anthem.... it's counter productive because people who don't like you doing it, will turn a blind eye to your cause.

On a football note... I think Brees just guaranteed that Tampa won the division.

I would add to what you said in this way: If you insist on protesting by kneeling during the National Anthem, don't then insult my intelligence by claiming that it's not about the National Anthem and by extension the American Flag. I would have a lot more respect for athletes who did this if they didn't try to arrest my conscious mind by insisting that A is in fact, not A and if I dare to point out that it is, I will get called ignorant or racist. 

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

And please of  your going to protest, don’t destroy businesses and personal property.  

Don't hurt anybody, don't damage anything, don't disrespect the flag, don't harsh our buzz or bother us in any way--just go over there in that corner and protest peacefully so we can go on about our business as usual.

Yeah, that's not how protest works.

I have found it striking how there are two interpretations of the events of the last week.  The conservative response seems to be, "It's unfortunate that a black man was killed unnecessarily, but this looting has got to stop!"  And then there's the liberal response, "It's unfortunate that there's looting, but killing black men unnecessarily has to stop!"

Which do you prioritize, people or property?

18 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Straw-man

Firstly, it's not just property being damaged. Thus far, over 300 police officers have been injured, and two have lost their life.

Secondly, although it may sound cliche or overly-simplistic, two wrongs never make a right.....at least not in a civilized society.

9 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Don't hurt anybody, don't damage anything, don't disrespect the flag, don't harsh our buzz or bother us in any way--just go over there in that corner and protest peacefully so we can go on about our business as usual.

I have found it striking how there are two interpretations of the events of the last week.  The conservative response seems to be, "It's unfortunate that a black man was killed unnecessarily, but this looting has got to stop!"  And then there's the liberal response, "It's unfortunate that there's looting, but killing black men unnecessarily has to stop!"

Like I said , if your going to protest great, stand up for what’s right, and stand for what you feel is right. 

But know one needs to protest  and destroy a business or personal property.  mm 

People are much more important then property, but we can also protest with out hurting someone or property. 

19 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Why does it have to be an either or? Are you suggesting that only riots and looting can affect the change necessary to prioritize people? It doesn't seem to have worked that well before. The greatest change usually occurs through peaceful means.

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

I would add to what you said in this way: If you insist on protesting by kneeling during the National Anthem, don't then insult my intelligence by claiming that it's not about the National Anthem and by extension the American Flag. I would have a lot more respect for athletes who did this if they didn't try to arrest my conscious mind by insisting that A is in fact, not A and if I dare to point out that it is, I will get called ignorant or racist. 

Agreed.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

People, which is why I don't support riots all across the country that have hurt thousands of people and killed several more than the initial incident that sparked it, but I guess as long as you try to claim the moral high ground, anarchy and chaos is okay right?

I personally have no problem with players protesting against police brutality. Clearly it’s a problem. My argument is this..  Like it or not, the NFL is a business. Period. You want to protest something, do it on your own time. If I staged a form of protest on company time and it caused controversy (whether or not you think the controversy is justified or not doesn’t matter) and cost them revenue, that employer has every right to tell me to stop and “do it on my own time”.  This REALLY applies to the NFL, since it falls under the category of entertainment, where PR is everything.  

Brees one of the most generous athletes there is, who alone contributed 5 mil to LA this year and his organization has contributed a massive 33 million gets on lol. 
These players who bring up Kap, come on for real, a clown who supports a dictator in Castro and wears pig socks LMAO. F##Ked up world we live in...

On 6/4/2020 at 11:07 PM, eagles115 said:

Brees one of the most generous athletes there is, who alone contributed 5 mil to LA this year and his organization has contributed a massive 33 million gets on lol. 
These players who bring up Kap, come on for real, a clown who supports a dictator in Castro and wears pig socks LMAO. F##Ked up world we live in...

True he’s given a lot, but like his teammate said, he needs to keep quiet, he also needs to pick a side and speak his mind and stand up for what he believes is right, Kap has still continued to do so.  

So if the nfl is truly sorry for not listening, as Goodwill said, how will they apologize to the Kap? 

Thanks. 

19 hours ago, RedzoneMonster said:

I personally have no problem with players protesting against police brutality. Clearly it’s a problem. My argument is this..  Like it or not, the NFL is a business. Period. You want to protest something, do it on your own time. If I staged a form of protest on company time and it caused controversy (whether or not you think the controversy is justified or not doesn’t matter) and cost them revenue, that employer has every right to tell me to stop and “do it on my own time”.  This REALLY applies to the NFL, since it falls under the category of entertainment, where PR is everything.  

Is bad PR sometimes good PR for a sports organization?  I mean if it’s so bad, then why don’t we see more changes to how they penalize a player from doing things that the leagues doesn’t agree with.  

It looks like sometimes they enjoy any PR, and just today I see the football commissioner apologizing for not listening more in the past, I saw the video, and I hate to say it , but I don’t believe him.  

On 6/4/2020 at 10:20 AM, weepaws said:

And once again he didn’t stand up for what he believes.  

Have to admit that you nailed it. That was some kinda quick 180. In two days he went from "I will never agree with someone disrespecting our flag by kneeling during the national anthem" to "This is not an issue about the American flag"

https://news.yahoo.com/new-orleans-saints-drew-brees-donald-trump-protests-national-anthem-not-about-flag-022510589.html

7 minutes ago, stonewall said:

Have to admit that you nailed it. That was some kinda quick 180. In two days he went from "I will never agree with someone disrespecting our flag by kneeling during the national anthem" to "This is not an issue about the American flag"

https://news.yahoo.com/new-orleans-saints-drew-brees-donald-trump-protests-national-anthem-not-about-flag-022510589.html

It's called listening... and learning.

This isn't a time to staunchly stand behind everything you have ever believed.  This is a time to think about why we think the way we do, and how we can think differently.

10 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

This isn't a time to staunchly stand behind everything you have ever believed.  This is a time to think about why we think the way we do, and how we can think differently.

I think you need to read this post more then anyone else axeelf.  

On 6/4/2020 at 11:28 AM, AxeElf said:

on this we agree.

if Kap had gone to one knee for the coin flip instead of the anthem, nobody would have noticed or cared.

but he did it during the anthem and everyone got upset.    But it did get people talking about the issue.    so from that perspective, he did achieve what he wanted to achieve. 

he brought attention to the issue.

and honestly, I'd prefer that kind of protest to the violent protests we have now.   but I'd argue if he wouldnt have been shut out and blackballed by the league and if people would have made a legitimate attempt to solve the issue when he raised it, we might not be having violent protests today.

over the years, one constant has existed.

when peaceful protest fails, violent protest begins.

I wish this statement was false, but over history, it has been proven to be true.

On 6/6/2020 at 3:12 PM, AxeElf said:

What if the people who are telling others to "think differently" are the ones who should be thinking differently?  You're assuming that the side doing the talking is the one that's right.

33 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

but I'd argue if he wouldnt have been shut out and blackballed by the league and if people would have made a legitimate attempt to solve the issue when he raised it, we might not be having violent protests today.

If there is a legitimate way to stop bad people from doing bad things, I am all ears. There hasn't seemed to be a solution for the last 5000 years...

34 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

on this we agree.

if Kap had gone to one knee for the coin flip instead of the anthem, nobody would have noticed or cared.

but he did it during the anthem and everyone got upset.    But it did get people talking about the issue.    so from that perspective, he did achieve what he wanted to achieve. 

and honestly, I'd prefer that kind of protest to the violent protests we have now.   but I'd argue if he wouldnt have been shut out and blackballed by the league and if people would have made a legitimate attempt to solve the issue when he raised it, we might not be having violent protests today.

I wish this statement was false, but over history, it has been proven to be true.

Mmm I’m not so sure that Kap brought attention to the issue, since the issue was never fixed, I think he brought attention upon himself , as he was labeled as a bad egg, but he wasn’t given credit at that time what he was kneeling for, just that he had to go, he’s pissing people off who bow down to the flag, and the flag then became the issue, and not the issue in which why Kap of kneeling for.  

Now how do they fix it, I saw the video with the commissioner, and now he’s acknowledging a problem , and that he’s sad more wasn’t done back then, and that the league didn’t take it seriously then, instead let’s get rid of the person that bring light to the issue, and not stand or in this case kneel with him and acknowledge that we have a problem.  

How do they give Kap back what they took from him?  

7 minutes ago, jrokh said:

If there is a legitimate way to stop bad people from doing bad things, I am all ears. There hasn't seemed to be a solution for the last 5000 years...

I have the answer, if you want it.  

17 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I have the answer, if you want it.  

If your answer is what I think it is, then no thanks. 

1 hour ago, jrokh said:

If your answer is what I think it is, then no thanks. 

Of course it is, so I guess your not all ears. 

Thanks. 

40 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Of course it is, so I guess your not all ears. 

Thanks. 

Your answer has had almost 2000 years to  marinate. Perhaps it’s time for a different approach...

That’s what happen , people took a different approach from the truth, and look at what man has made, oh it’s a good ol job.  

Thanks. 

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

What if the people who are telling others to "think differently" are the ones who should be thinking differently?  You're assuming that the side doing the talking is the one that's right.

You're assuming that I'm assuming something that I'm not assuming, because I'm not dividing the issue into sides.

I said, "This is a time to think about why we think the way we do, and how we can think differently."  I didn't say "you" or "that side" or "their people"...  I said WE need to think about our current thought patterns and how they can be changed, where necessary--all of us.

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

How do they give Kap back what they took from him?

Nobody took anything from Colin Kaepernick.  He chose to use his job as a platform for protest, and he lost his job.  If you're going to engage in civil disobedience as a form of protest, you must always be willing to accept the consequences of those actions (arrest, prosecution, stigma, etc.).  Colin made a choice that no one forced him to make, which cost him his job.  Nobody took anything from him.

Oh, and by the way, finding Jesus doesn't stop bad people from doing bad things.  Do you think Christians never do anything wrong?

4 hours ago, Ray_T said:

on this we agree.

He wasn't shut out and black balled.  He left on his own.  He had a $15 ($17?)M option that he declined to pick it up.  He wanted to be a starter making more money.  There were 32 GM's who said he wasn't good enough to start.  There were 32 coaches who agreed... including black coaches who had pull and could have made a big stink for his team to bring him in.  On top of that, he made himself less marketable by making himself a national distraction.  HE did it to himself, no one did it TO him.

1 minute ago, AxeElf said:

You're assuming that I'm assuming something that I'm not assuming, because I'm not dividing the issue into sides.

I said, "This is a time to think about why we think the way we do, and how we can think differently."  I didn't say "you" or "that side" or "their people"...  I said WE need to think about our current thought patterns and how they can be changed, where necessary--all of us.

Dialog is happening though.  The problem is, one of those sides is demanding that the other side do as they say while the other side is saying they're willing to look into.  It's one side that's the problem, not both.

19 minutes ago, weepaws said:

That’s what happen , people took a different approach from the truth, and look at what man has made, oh it’s a good ol job.  

Thanks. 

Your solution has as much practical application as me saying, the answer is to end racism...

3 hours ago, jrokh said:

You said you where all ears, I tired, it’s all good. 

Thanks. 

24 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Nobody took anything from Colin Kaepernick.  He chose to use his job as a platform for protest, and he lost his job.  If you're going to engage in civil disobedience as a form of protest, you must always be willing to accept the consequences of those actions (arrest, prosecution, stigma, etc.).  Colin made a choice that no one forced him to make, which cost him his job.  Nobody took anything from him.

Oh, and by the way, finding Jesus doesn't stop bad people from doing bad things.  Do you think Christians never do anything wrong?

They did take Kap job away from him, it’s ok your still in denial of what’s wrong and right.  They didn’t kneel with him, and they simply chastised him, that’s not brotherly love, sure they took his job, by not accepting what he was doing was right, but now the commissioner is saying, we’ll we blew it.  Lol  

We know the truth and we know the way and the life, if  you don’t believe, your simply lost, like the word says, a fool. 

Lol. 

Hey thanks for the free entertainment you bring to this site, it’s special. 

Thank I appreciate you.