Sign in to follow this  
stonewall

Brees getting roasted for his opinion on anthem kneeling

On 6/6/2020 at 12:12 PM, AxeElf said:

It's called listening... and learning.

This isn't a time to staunchly stand behind everything you have ever believed.  This is a time to think about why we think the way we do, and how we can think differently.

Great post. 

48 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Dialog is happening though.  The problem is, one of those sides is demanding that the other side do as they say while the other side is saying they're willing to look into.  It's one side that's the problem, not both.

Again with the "sides."  I don't even know what the "sides" are.  Is there a side saying that Black Lives DON'T Matter?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Again with the "sides."  I don't even know what the "sides" are.  Is there a side saying that Black Lives DON'T Matter?

No.  That said, one of the sides is claiming that the other side says yes.  When I say "sides", I'm being polite by not calling them out specifically, since this isn't the politics section.

30 minutes ago, weepaws said:

They did take Kap job away from him

He put his job at risk by his choices, and he suffered the consequence of that choice.  He was the agent by which he lost his job.  His job wasn't taken; it was lost.

I know, you don't speak plain English like the rest of us, so whatever.  I don't even know why I bother responding, because I'm not doing it for you, I'm doing it to make sure your nonsense doesn't infect anyone else--but I'm not sure anyone else takes you seriously either.  I really should just block you, but then I'd miss out on what new stupid thing you have to say every day, so I'm really on the fence about that.

7 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

No.  That said, one of the sides is claiming that the other side says yes.  When I say "sides", I'm being polite by not calling them out specifically, since this isn't the politics section.

Well, I don't think there are really "sides."  There is just we the people, trying to figure out how we can be a better society.  And that is the sense in which my comment was made.

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

You said you where all ears, I tired, it’s all good. 

Thanks. 

I said if there was a legitimate way to stop bad people from doing bad things, I am all ears. I didn't ask for silly, unrealistic, and irrelevant suggestions. Sorry you tired, me feel bad, you upset....

It's a sad day when you stand proud for your national anthem and flag and take heat over it. You can stand for a cause and be patriotic at the same time.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

He put his job at risk by his choices, and he suffered the consequence of that choice.  He was the agent by which he lost his job.  His job wasn't taken; it was lost.

I know, you don't speak plain English like the rest of us, so whatever.  I don't even know why I bother responding, because I'm not doing it for you, I'm doing it to make sure your nonsense doesn't infect anyone else--but I'm not sure anyone else takes you seriously either.  I really should just block you, but then I'd miss out on what new stupid thing you have to say every day, so I'm really on the fence about that.

Sounds like you suffer with insanity. 

Thanks mm. 

22 minutes ago, jrokh said:

I said if there was a legitimate way to stop bad people from doing bad things, I am all ears. I didn't ask for silly, unrealistic, and irrelevant suggestions. Sorry you tired, me feel bad, you upset....

Upset no, not surprised at all, not many want to know the truth.  Mm  

Thanks. 

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

Sounds like you suffer with insanity. 

I do.  I wish you would seek treatment.

4 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

He wasn't shut out and black balled.  He left on his own.  He had a $15 ($17?)M option that he declined to pick it up.  He wanted to be a starter making more money.  There were 32 GM's who said he wasn't good enough to start.  There were 32 coaches who agreed... including black coaches who had pull and could have made a big stink for his team to bring him in.  On top of that, he made himself less marketable by making himself a national distraction.  HE did it to himself, no one did it TO him.

i dont think   he left SF  because he wanted more money.   I think he left because he was unhappy with the organization.

that being said, we dont know all of the details here as many of the details have not been made public.   However,  like it or not, the way I explained it is how it looks to his supporters, and many outside of the  united states.

the reason it looks like he got blackballed is because he went from being a starter who  left his job to a guy not fit to even be a backup qb.

what we dont know, is whether he would have accepted an offer to be a backup.   maybe he was asked and turned it down verbally.   as no written offer was sent it is possible that this was the case.

I have to believe if a written offer of contract to be a backup was offered and rejected, Kap would have had absolutely no case in the civil suit he filed.   this makes me think the league is not as innocent as they claimed to be.   if a written offer of a contract was sent to him with the thought he could be a backup,  Kap would have had absolutely no claim to make and no legal leg to stand on.

this is why it feels like he was blackballed.

like I said, it is possible the offer was made verbally, but good luck in proving that in a court of law. 

while i do agree, when you protest, you do open yoursellf up to criticism, stigma and whatever.    thats fine. 

i would argue there are lots of other players  who have protested in various ways and not been punished like Kap was.  so I do think this was at least somewhat politically motovated.

either  way, it looked how it looked. a peaceful protest shut down.  now the violent protests are here.   shut them down with force, and the protests will ramp up, get more violent over time.  That is the way of things.   over history, when peaceful protests are shut down, the violent ones start up.

this looks like the natural progression of things.

as people we can support peaceful change or we can waiit for the violence to come as it eventually will.    I  dont know about you, but I'd rather avoid the violent option.   I  hope you can agree on that at least.

1 minute ago, Ray_T said:

i dont think   he left SF  because he wanted more money.   I think he left because he was unhappy with the organization.

that being said, we dont know all of the details here as many of the details have not been made public.   However,  like it or not, the way I explained it is how it looks to his supporters, and many outside of the  united states.

the reason it looks like he got blackballed is because he went from being a starter who  left his job to a guy not fit to even be a backup qb.

what we dont know, is whether he would have accepted an offer to be a backup.   maybe he was asked and turned it down verbally.   as no written offer was sent it is possible that this was the case.

I have to believe if a written offer of contract to be a backup was offered and rejected, Kap would have had absolutely no case in the civil suit he filed.   this makes me think the league is not as innocent as they claimed to be.   if a written offer of a contract was sent to him with the thought he could be a backup,  Kap would have had absolutely no claim to make and no legal leg to stand on.

like I said, it is possible the offer was made verbally, but good luck in proving that in a court of law. 

while i do agree, when you protest, you do open yoursellf up to criticism, stigma and whatever.    thats fine. 

i would argue there are lots of other players  who have protested in various ways and not been punished like Kap was.  so I do think this was at least somewhat politically motovated.

either  way, it looked how it looked. a peaceful protest shut down.  now the violent protests are here.   shut them down with force, and the protests will ramp up, get more violent over time.  That is the way of things.   over history, when peaceful protests are shut down, the violent ones start up.

as people we can support peaceful change or we can waiit for the violence to come as it eventually will.    I  dont know about you, but I'd rather avoid the violent option.   I  hope you can agree on that at least.

Ray I agree with you about Kap being blackballed. 

Protest on your own time. Do your job description when you are on the clock. .

There were 9 unarmed blacks killed by cops in 2019, 4 were deemed unlawful. I would challenge anyone to post the numbers of black on black murders from 2019. If you need help, just let me know. 

Why is this "issue" the priority? 

Well, that was my input, but I am in a new dynasty league and my regular auction league and I am ready to go!! Hopefully, the season works out like normal. 

17 hours ago, Ray_T said:

People seem to forget just how bad Kaepernick was after that Super Bowl season.  Prior to his benching, in his next 35 starts (expanding 3 seasons), he was 11-24 while completeing less than 60% of his passes with a 2:1 TD/Int ratio, a sub 7 ypa, and an 86 passer rating.  That's really, really, really.... bad.  He declined his option because he was a baby that he got benched, by a guy who put up numbers that really weren't all that much worse.  Were Kap's numbers better than Gabbert's?  Sure.  Significantly?  No.  So if Gabbert wasn't even good enough to be a back up and Kaepernick was only a little better, wouldn't that say that Kaepernick was only "a backup"?

From 2014-2016, 23 QB's started at least 30 games.  Here's how Kaepernick rated amongst his peers...

• 23rd in yds/gm
  • 19th in passer rating
  • 20th in y/a
  • 21st in TD%
  • 6th in Int% (only real bright spot)
  • 23rd in sack%
  • 23rd in total wins

He sucked.  I don't care what his supporters think, the numbers don't lie.  For more proof... here is a list of QB's that were near or below him, regularly, in the above categories...

• Joe Flacco
  • Jameis Winston
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • Blake Bortles
  • Jay Cutler (the end of his career)

That's a who's who of backups and washed ups.

Let's also not forget that the Niners were 1-10 when Kaepernick got benched.

People can make all the excuses they want, but there's nothing available to anyone who knows or watches football, objectively, and say that Colin Kaepernick was playing like a guy who should get a chance to start.  There were many teams who offered to bring him in for a look at being a back up and he declined the visits/talks.  You can't have a formal written offer if the player refuses to talk.  So, you have a guy who declines a $15M option because he got benched, who thinks he should start, who over a 3 year period was one of the worst QB's in the league, AND turns down visits/talks for a backup role that off-season... PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY ANY TEAM SHOULD HAVE LOOKED TO HIM THE FOLLOWING YEAR FOR A STARTING ROLE!  PLEASE!

During his hissy fit, after not getting starter offers... he wears a shirt supporting Fidel Castro.  He wears socks calling all cops pigs.  He did everything inside and outside of football that says "Don't sign me"... and you think that's the OWNERS fault?  Kaepernick blackballed himself, not the other way around.  Players have beaten their wives/girlfriends and still come back into the league despite the fact that everyone condemns that behavior... yet, because only 50% of the country didn't support kneeling on the flag... 'Nope, you're out'?  GOH.  Just stop.

This is why I don't like the term 'blackballed'. I'm not exactly sure the meaning of it in the context of Kaep not getting a gig. The term Collusion is more helpful, as it's meaning is more objective. Did the 32 owners get together and uniformly decide that no one was going to sign him? We'll likely never know, but the burden of proof is on Colin and his lawyers to prove it, and the fact that he took a deal reportedly paying him less than 10 million (possibly split with eric reid) https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/21/colin-kaepernick-settlement-amount-withdraws-collusion-case-eric-reid, leads me to believe he didn't have anything close to meeting the burden of proof. As far as blackballing is concerned, if every NFL team, individually came to the same conclusion that signing a backup QB that might alienate a portion of their customer base isn't worth it, is that blackballing? I understand why some may view it as such, my opinion is that is just how businesses operate. 

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

despite the fact that everyone condones condemns that behavior...

Fixed that for you.

2 hours ago, jrokh said:

This is why I don't like the term 'blackballed'.

It's racist.  Nobody ever gets whiteballed.

Black balls matter.

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

People seem to forget just how bad Kaepernick was after that Super Bowl season.  Prior to his benching, in his next 35 starts (expanding 3 seasons), he was 11-24 while completeing less than 60% of his passes with a 2:1 TD/Int ratio, a sub 7 ypa, and an 86 passer rating.  That's really, really, really.... bad.  He declined his option because he was a baby that he got benched, by a guy who put up numbers that really weren't all that much worse.  Were Kap's numbers better than Gabbert's?  Sure.  Significantly?  No.  So if Gabbert wasn't even good enough to be a back up and Kaepernick was only a little better, wouldn't that say that Kaepernick was only "a backup"?

From 2014-2016, 23 QB's started at least 30 games.  Here's how Kaepernick rated amongst his peers...

• 23rd in yds/gm
  • 19th in passer rating
  • 20th in y/a
  • 21st in TD%
  • 23rd in sack%
  • 23rd in total wins

He sucked.  I don't care what his supporters think, the numbers don't lie.  For more proof... here is a list of QB's that were near or below him, regularly, in the above categories...

• Joe Flacco
  • Jameis Winston
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • Blake Bortles

People can make all the excuses they want, but there's nothing available to anyone who knows or watches football, objectively, and say that Colin Kaepernick was playing like a guy who should get a chance to start.  There were many teams who offered to bring him in for a look at being a back up and he declined the visits/talks.  You can't have a formal written offer if the player refuses to talk.  So, you have a guy who declines a $15M option because he got benched, who thinks he should start, who over a 3 year period was one of the worst QB's in the league, AND turns down visits/talks for a backup role that off-season... PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY ANY TEAM SHOULD HAVE LOOKED TO HIM THE FOLLOWING YEAR FOR A STARTING ROLE!  PLEASE!

During his hissy fit, after not getting starter offers... he wears a shirt supporting Fidel Castro.  He wears socks calling all cops pigs.  He did everything inside and outside of football that says "Don't sign me"... and you think that's the OWNERS fault?  Kaepernick blackballed himself, not the other way around.  Players have beaten their wives/girlfriends and still come back into the league despite the fact that everyone condones that behavior... yet, because only 50% of the country didn't support kneeling on the flag... 'Nope, you're out'?  GOH.  Just stop.

The NFL didn’t stand behind him then, and now the NFL commissioner on his silly little video saying we should have done more , that was the time to do more. 

Yea Kap stats after his super run was awful, but he was still just as good as those others that where listed, the Flacco’s, but they still had their jobs, he was blacklisted with out question. 

Again your r right about how bad he was performing on the field, but no one backed him up when he was standing up for what the nfl now says they failed at recognizing back then, I wonder if Brady was the one kneeling, would the nfl have backed him up? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, weepaws said:

The NFL didn’t stand behind him then, and now the NFL commissioner on his silly little video saying we should have done more , that was the time to do more. 

Yea Kap stats after his super run was awful, but he was still just as good as those others that where listed, the Flacco’s, but they still had their jobs, he was blacklisted with out question. 

Again your r right about how bad he was performing on the field, but no one backed him up when he was standing up for what the nfl now says they failed at recognizing back then, I wonder if Brady was the one kneeling, would the nfl have backed him up? 

We apparently have a difference of opinion on whether what the Commissioner is doing now, is right or wrong.  He was right then and wrong now.  You apparently think it's the opposite.  We're just going to have to agree to disagree..

Those guys had their jobs because they had contracts and didn't leave them... Kaepernick didn't do that.  He voluntarily left.  ALSO, those QB's listed, when it was time for them to get new deals, NONE got starting job offers.

Anyone who kneels now, who didn't before, is only doing it to not look bad to the social justice warriors of this country.  I doubt they actually believe in the cause.  I would do the same thing in their situation.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

It's racist.  Nobody ever gets whiteballed.

Black balls matter.

All Balls Matter! Seriously though, my limited understanding is that blackballing developed from the political process in Ancient Greece of ostracizing someone. There is no doubt that many in 2020 USA consider it racist or at least prejudiced, I'm not sure if that is accurate.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

We apparently have a difference of opinion on whether what the Commissioner is doing now, is right or wrong.  He was right then and wrong now.  You apparently think it's the opposite.  We're just going to have to agree to disagree..

Those guys had their jobs because they had contracts and didn't leave them... Kaepernick didn't do that.  He voluntarily left.  ALSO, those QB's listed, when it was time for them to get new deals, NONE got starting job offers.

Anyone who kneels now, who didn't before, is only doing it to not look bad to the social justice warriors of this country.  I doubt they actually believe in the cause.  I would do the same thing in their situation.

I think as it pertains to the commissioner, two wrongs don’t make a right. 

I simply don’t believe him. 

Anyone that kneels now might or might not believe, I don’t know. 

None deserved a starting job, and neither did Kap. 

But he became the poster child for the kneeling against the flag, and I think that hurt his situation to get a job. 

Thats my opinion. 

Thanks. 

10 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

• 23rd in yds/gm
  • 19th in passer rating
  • 20th in y/a
  • 21st in TD%
  • 23rd in sack%
  • 23rd in total wins

• Joe Flacco
  • Jameis Winston
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • Blake Bortles

well, the stats do  not surprise me.

typically the  QB and RB stats reflect the fortunes of the team, and that San Fran team was AWFUL.

they had lost many from the once good o line to injury and retirement.   and the defense was terrible.

typically in qb's the stat you see go bad when playing on a bad team is INT.   The QB tries to play catch up and takes more chances with the ball than they otherwise would  in an effort to catch up.

yardage is often bad in this scenario too.  especially if the defense is bad.  this is because the other  team can sustain long drives against you to keep your offense off the field.

the stats you showed have him ranked about #20 (give or take)

on a 1-10 team with a terrible defense that's actually  pretty good.  it iis also worth noting that a running qb usually forfeits a certain amount of passing yards to gain extra yards on the  ground.  if you add run yardage to his pass yardage, the totals likely bring him to the middle of the pack.

that being said, i am not claiming he was  an all star.    I remember getting criticized way back after his super bowl  year for saying hes not as good as everyone said.  I stand by  that analysis, but i also say he wasnt as bad as what everyone thought after that.

I do beliieve he was good enough to be a low end starter or top notch backup.   maybe he still is.... but its  hard to say as hes been away from football long enough that I wouldnt hang my hat on that statement.   Running QB's  tend to have shorter careers because they take way more hits.  he is no exception to that rule.

I just read a interview with Pete Carrol about why the Seahawks didn’t sign Kap. 

He said, I felt that he was a starter in the nfl, And we already jad one at that time, so I guess Kap was to good for the Seahawks to sign him, now that’s called being blacklisted.  

Kap did walk away from the Niners offer, but others wouldn’t take him, Coach Carrol said it had nothing to do with him kneeling, or had to do with him being a starting caliber Qb, and basically he was going Kap a favor by not signing him, because he would be a starting nfl Qb for another team, please, that’s just plan bs.  

5 hours ago, weepaws said:

I just read a interview with Pete Carrol about why the Seahawks didn’t sign Kap. 

He said, I felt that he was a starter in the nfl, And we already jad one at that time, so I guess Kap was to good for the Seahawks to sign him, now that’s called being blacklisted.  

Kap did walk away from the Niners offer, but others wouldn’t take him, Coach Carrol said it had nothing to do with him kneeling, or had to do with him being a starting caliber Qb, and basically he was going Kap a favor by not signing him, because he would be a starting nfl Qb for another team, please, that’s just plan bs.  

That... or he was just pandering.  Seattle is an extremely liberal city and there was a sentiment that the Seahawks should have signed him.  So, Carroll appeased the liberal locals/fanbase and said something positive about Kaepernick because everyone in the NFL world knew that Russell Wilson was their guy.

He wasn't blacklisted... he out priced himself.  He stunk.  He was at best a backup.  He wouldn't settle for anything other than a starter position and starter money.  He turned down GM's who wanted to talk to him about back up roles.  The ONLY reason that Kaepernick wasn't/isn't in the NFL is because he prevented it from happening based on his performance ON the field and his decisions outside of the NFL, not for kneeling.  He's just using that as an excuse.

Or they didn’t want to sign him because they didn’t want the bad press for doing so, based on Kap was getting crap, hope it’s ok I say that, for kneeling, I guess we don’t and won’t really know , but I think he was blacklisted, and others don’t , no problem it’s all good. 

Now it’s going to be interesting to see if a team signs him this year.  

If so, we know what that means, as the commissioner said himself, we made a mistake, now your trying to make up for not caring then, to make everyone believe you do now, please.  

Lets see what happens.  

Thanks for the chat about this topic, good times. 

No, they didn't want to sign him because he wanted to be a starter and wanted starter money... when they already had Russell Wilson.

No one's going to sign him.  He hasn't played in the 3 years.  Plus, he still probably thinks he deserves to start.

We’ll see. 

Maybe , maybe not.  

7 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

That... or he was just pandering.  Seattle is an extremely liberal city and there was a sentiment that the Seahawks should have signed him.  So, Carroll appeased the liberal locals/fanbase and said something positive about Kaepernick because everyone in the NFL world knew that Russell Wilson was their guy.

He wasn't blacklisted... he out priced himself.  He stunk.  He was at best a backup.  He wouldn't settle for anything other than a starter position and starter money.  He turned down GM's who wanted to talk to him about back up roles.  The ONLY reason that Kaepernick wasn't/isn't in the NFL is because he prevented it from happening based on his performance ON the field and his decisions outside of the NFL, not for kneeling.  He's just using that as an excuse.

I dont think he was pandering.

its actually very typical.  in real life people dont hire workers who are overqualified for a job.

why?

1) a better job comes up and they leave

2) if a person feels the job they are too good to be doing a job, a bad attitude can creep in and cause problems in the workplace.

this is especially relevant in the Kap situation.  if he felt he deserved starter money or was too good to be sitting on the bench will he become a problem?

if he is unwilling to accept his role as a backup are you doing him a favor by hiring him?

based on this alone, I believe Carrol was being honest about his reasons for not signing him.

19 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I dont think he was pandering. 

its actually very typical.  in real life people dont hire workers who are overqualified for a job.

why?

1) a better job comes up and they leave

2) if a person feels the job they are too good to be doing a job, a bad attitude can creep in and cause problems in the workplace.

this is especially relevant in the Kap situation.  if he felt he deserved starter money or was too good to be sitting on the bench will he become a problem?

if he is unwilling to accept his role as a backup are you doing him a favor by hiring him?

based on this alone, I believe Carrol was being honest about his reasons for not signing him.

There's a lot here I don't agree with...

I think Carroll was interested in bringing him in as a backup.  I also believe he was pandering when he said (I'm believing Weepaws about Carroll saying it), that Kaepernick could be a starter in the NFL.

The NFL isn't real life.  It's a competition.  In competitions, you always want the best possible players you can have.

Why?

1) You never know when the person you have will get hurt.

2) Players aren't just players, but commodities.  If you have a guy that you believe in, but no one does, then you're getting him at a valued price.  If it turns out you were right, because that player produced, then you're going to reap the rewards because now someone will have to give you something of greater value for him.

If Kaepernick felt he was a starter and worth starter money... and 32 GM's didn't agree with him, then he should have accepted his market value.  See Jameis Winston.  At season's end, he felt he could start anywhere for $30M+... but no one was offering that.  He got $1M.  That's it.  A 1 year, $1M deal.  Had Winston pulled a Colin Kaepernick and said, 'I'm a starter and I want starter money', and never got signed, would that mean he was blackballed too?  No.  That's an example of someone out pricing their own value.

Yes, they would be doing him a favor by signing him for a job he/they thought he was over qualified for.  Why?  Because A JOB is better than NO JOB. You can't prove to people how good you are unless you're actually doing it.  This stance would also fit an "in real life" narrative.  If you think you're a great architect and worth a high profile job, but no offers you one... holding out for that position will only keep you unemployed and not able to prove to people what you can do.

I think Carroll was totally honest about wanting to bring in Kaepernick and sign him.  I also think he was totally pandering to the Liberal populous in his area by stating that he believed Kaepernick deserved to be a starter.  Think about this... how many times do you remember an article being written about Kaepernick being a good fit for Seattle after that?  Never... and that was the best fit in the NFL.  Why?  Because he pandered to the populous so everyone gave him a pass.

fair comments TBay.

possibly correct.   we dont have enough info to verify the key details.

from what i can tell, no contract was offered to Kap from anyone.  at least not in writing.

what we dont know iis if verbal inquiries were made

Mass kneeling this year by NFL players during the anthem is a given at this point. 2 things will be particularly interesting to see:

1) How much (if any) revenue will it cost the league in disgruntled fans, especially in light of a tweet by President Trump declaring that he will not be watching the NFL this year if kneeling ensues. 

2) Will Jerry Jones cave to the pressures and allow "his" Cowboys to kneel, or be a maverick and stick to his guns.

9 hours ago, stonewall said:

Mass kneeling this year by NFL players during the anthem is a given at this point. 2 things will be particularly interesting to see:

1) How much (if any) revenue will it cost the league in disgruntled fans, especially in light of a tweet by President Trump declaring that he will not be watching the NFL this year if kneeling ensues. 

2) Will Jerry Jones cave to the pressures and allow "his" Cowboys to kneel, or be a maverick and stick to his guns.

I guess my question then is: Does the Commissioner and the NFL have the authority to just do away with the National Anthem before games? What is the point of allowing it if players are just going to kneel? Take it away and let's see how much attention is payed to them kneeling during the coin toss... 

Well, they don't televise the National Anthem anymore, right?  There's the possibility of games not having fans, right?  So if no one other than the 200 people "protesting" in the stadium, who's going to see it?  At that point, what is the point?

I guess if there's people in the stands, their protest will be seen.  Also, it's possible that if the NFL does not have any attendance, they may televise  the National Anthem.  Personally, the players and society have gotten to the point that I am numb to their stance.  I will ignore them and pretend their protest does not exist.  When the players and people they are supporting keep electing the people that are the root cause of their situation, I have no sympathy for them.

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Well, they don't televise the National Anthem anymore, right?  There's the possibility of games not having fans, right?  So if no one other than the 200 people "protesting" in the stadium, who's going to see it?  At that point, what is the point?

I guess if there's people in the stands, their protest will be seen.  Also, it's possible that if the NFL does not have any attendance, they may televise  the National Anthem.  Personally, the players and society have gotten to the point that I am numb to their stance.  I will ignore them and pretend their protest does not exist.  When the players and people they are supporting keep electing the people that are the root cause of their situation, I have no sympathy for them.

I wouldn't be shocked if they start showing the anthem on TV if they take a knee.

It would make the networks money, stirring up controversy, so...

20 minutes ago, polecatt said:

I wouldn't be shocked if they start showing the anthem on TV if they take a knee.

Agreed.

5 hours ago, polecatt said:

I'm guessing they would make it the star of the show for at least a few weeks until football fans got sick of it.

Premier League in soccer talking about putting "Black Lives Matter" on the back of all black players jerseys in place of their name. :dunno:

Premier League clubs are replacing players' names on the back of jerseys with the phrase "Black Lives Matter" for the league's first games back since the coronavirus-induced suspension, the league announced on Friday.

Clubs across the Premier League will sport the altered jerseys for the first round of games when the league returns on June 17. 

"We, the Players, stand together with the singular objective of eradicating racial prejudice wherever it exists, to bring about a global society of inclusion, respect, and equal opportunities for All, regardless of their color or creed. This symbol is a sign of unity from all Players, all Staff, all Clubs, all Match Officials and the Premier League #blacklivesmatter #playerstogether," the players of all 20 clubs came together to write in a statement

29 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I'm guessing they would make it the star of the show for at least a few weeks until football fans got sick of it.

Premier League in soccer talking about putting "Black Lives Matter" on the back of all black players jerseys in place of their name. :dunno:

Yeah, I heard about that with the Premier League, I think the used to have an "end racism" patch or something like that before, so it's not that surprising

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

Premier League in soccer talking about putting "Black Lives Matter" on the back of all black players jerseys in place of their name.

43 minutes ago, polecatt said:

Yeah, I heard about that with the Premier League, I think the used to have an "end racism" patch or something like that before, so it's not that surprising

I guess "He Hate Me" was taken?

14 hours ago, jrokh said:

I guess my question then is: Does the Commissioner and the NFL have the authority to just do away with the National Anthem before games? What is the point of allowing it if players are just going to kneel? Take it away and let's see how much attention is payed to them kneeling during the coin toss... 

there was a time when the anthem was not played before games.

my  understanding (someone correct me if I am  wrong) is that they started playing the anthem  at  the start of games because they were paid by the US military to do so.  it was a ploy by the  army to make the population more patriotic and more  likely to join the military.

if this is true, and the league still is paid to play the anthem, then the anthem will continue to play before games and this  option  is off the table.