Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Dalvin Cook threatening a holdout

Recommended Posts

Now it feels like football season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cook will sign for $15 mil, and then promptly tear an ACL.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd call his bluff. I think Mattison can do the job for them just fine. Don't Gurley yourself Minnesota.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boone looked pretty good last season also, I would let him sit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$15 mil is a lot for a guy who has missed about as many games as he's played over 3 seasons.

That's the same money Zeke got paid. Dalvin Cook is a phenomenal talent, but I say he should get about $10 mil a year or so. The main difference is reliability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is that what hes actually asking?  15 mil?

seems like a lot.  hes only had one good season.   does he not realize he may be jumping the gun?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

is that what hes actually asking?  15 mil?

seems like a lot.  hes only had one good season.   does he not realize he may be jumping the gun?

I don't know exactly what it is, but the team offered $10 mil and it was  turned down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just hope this gets cleared up and doesn't drag on into the season, that rarely ends well for the RB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw that his agent said he would take 13mil, the poor guy needs to eat.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, his kids are starving

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, weepaws said:

Just saw that his agent said he would take 13mil, the poor guy needs to eat.  

Yeah, I get kind of tired of hearing that. I don't think they're gonna starve

$13 mil alone will set him for life and take care of his family if he takes care of his money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't say I blame him. This is his last chance for leverage. They can just franchise him next year, and he's only getting like 2 million. He would be crazy to play this season for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 million, and now he’s asking for 13 million at the very least.  

I would say 5 million should be good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually Cook is set to make only $1.3 million this season.  I can't say that I blame him either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smileseers said:

Actually Cook is set to make only $1.3 million this season.  I can't say that I blame him either.

That's more than 99.99% of the population of the planet makes in their entire lifetime.

Poor Dalvin...

lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Smileseers said:

Actually Cook is set to make only $1.3 million this season.  I can't say that I blame him either.

lets be clear, the rookie deal would remain in place. he is wanting an extension.

to my knowledge teams dont have the ability to void rookie deals to give players a bigger payday early.  otherwise people would always hold out after their first big year to get an early payday.

the NFL can do themselves a favor and make a rule that you cannot negotiate extensions to the rookie deal until halfway through the final year of their deal.

then you wont see players holding out before said rookie deal is done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jrokh said:

I can't say I blame him. This is his last chance for leverage. They can just franchise him next year, and he's only getting like 2 million. He would be crazy to play this season for that.

I don't think I agree with you.  He was a 2nd round pick, so this is a contract year.  If he sits out the season and doesn't accrue a contract year, he'll have to play again next year for that same $2M, so he'll have to show up at some point.  I don't think he has a lot of leverage at this point based on his injury history.  He'll have more after the season if he stays healthy.  Any team signing him would have to know that he's never finished a season healthy, in 3 years.  What are they going to offer him?  Teams saw how the Rams got burned with Gurley.  It's not like you can compare Cook to Bell, they're not in the same class, so Gurley is your best comparison... so is David Johnson.  In neither case did the deal work out for the team who signed them.  If the Vikings are smart, they should plan to go with Mattison, and let Cook sit the whole year.  If Mattison plays well and they don't give Cook much playing time after the holdout, that would reduce Cooks value even more because he could be seen as a system guy.  The best time for RB's to hold out is after their 3rd, so Cook got that right... the problem is that his body of work isn't impressive.

Now, I don't what else Minnesota feels their needs are, but they have $13M in cap space.  They could give Devonta Freeman $4M in case Cook sits out.  Lamar Miller is still out there and can be added for depth as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

lets be clear, the rookie deal would remain in place. he is wanting an extension.

to my knowledge teams dont have the ability to void rookie deals to give players a bigger payday early.  otherwise people would always hold out after their first big year to get an early payday.

the NFL can do themselves a favor and make a rule that you cannot negotiate extensions to the rookie deal until halfway through the final year of their deal.

then you wont see players holding out before said rookie deal is done.

You're right about the contract situation, but if they give him an extension, there will be a signing bonus that he'll get paid now.  So he won't really be playing this year for that $1.3, he'll probably get another $"X" million from that signing bonus.


I don't think the players will agree to non-negotiable rookie contract.  I mean, from a "veterans" standpoint is would be a smart thing to do as it would delay players from getting money and leave more available to the veterans, but I don't think they'll do it because I don't really know how many players are NOT on their rookie contracts.  I'm guessing the number is a lot closer to 50/50 than we'd think.

 

How many players hold out anyway?  What, 2 or 3 a year?  I don't think the number is all that important to worry about making a new policy over.  I'm surprised that Chris Godwin hasn't said anything about holding out.  My guess is that he's either not greedy, feels confident, or his agent and the Bucs are currently working on a deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2020 at 8:56 PM, AxeElf said:

Cook will sign for $15 mil, and then promptly tear an ACL.

:nono:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RBs should be an exception in the NFL. They should get paid early in some manner. Brutal position and easy to be replaced after they hit their 5th year. 

WRs, TEs, QBs, take much less of a beating, and take way longer to mature in the league for the most part and decline less rapidly.

Pay the RBs early on based upon order of them being drafted each year. Not what round they are drafted in. (ok, I just threw that out there but whatever)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

RBs should be an exception in the NFL. They should get paid early in some manner. Brutal position and easy to be replaced after they hit their 5th year. 

WRs, TEs, QBs, take much less of a beating, and take way longer to mature in the league for the most part and decline less rapidly.

Pay the RBs early on based upon order of them being drafted each year. Not what round they are drafted in. (ok, I just threw that out there but whatever)

RB's should get a 2 year contract (3 if they're a first rounder), followed by two option years... first is a player option, the second is the team option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2020 at 11:50 AM, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't think I agree with you.  He was a 2nd round pick, so this is a contract year.  If he sits out the season and doesn't accrue a contract year, he'll have to play again next year for that same $2M, so he'll have to show up at some point.  I don't think he has a lot of leverage at this point based on his injury history.  He'll have more after the season if he stays healthy.  Any team signing him would have to know that he's never finished a season healthy, in 3 years.  What are they going to offer him?  Teams saw how the Rams got burned with Gurley.  It's not like you can compare Cook to Bell, they're not in the same class, so Gurley is your best comparison... so is David Johnson.  In neither case did the deal work out for the team who signed them.  If the Vikings are smart, they should plan to go with Mattison, and let Cook sit the whole year.  If Mattison plays well and they don't give Cook much playing time after the holdout, that would reduce Cooks value even more because he could be seen as a system guy.  The best time for RB's to hold out is after their 3rd, so Cook got that right... the problem is that his body of work isn't impressive.

Now, I don't what else Minnesota feels their needs are, but they have $13M in cap space.  They could give Devonta Freeman $4M in case Cook sits out.  Lamar Miller is still out there and can be added for depth as well.

Wouldn't he get paid a lot more than $2 mil, next season on the franchise tag though?

I thought that meant they were paid something like the average of the top 5 at the position, which would be in the $10-15 million range

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, polecatt said:

Wouldn't he get paid a lot more than $2 mil, next season on the franchise tag though?

I thought that meant they were paid something like the average of the top 5 at the position, which would be in the $10-15 million range

If he were tagged, yes.  I believe I heard the tag in 2021 will be around $13.5M.  BUT, that's only if he shows up and gets an accrued season.  If he pulls a Leveon Bell and sits out the whole year, he won't accrue the season and still have to honor his 4th year of his contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope he sits out the season. 

13 million, please. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

If he were tagged, yes.  I believe I heard the tag in 2021 will be around $13.5M.  BUT, that's only if he shows up and gets an accrued season.  If he pulls a Leveon Bell and sits out the whole year, he won't accrue the season and still have to honor his 4th year of his contract.

Yeah, he would have to be a fool to sit out. That doesn't seem to go well for the player

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if he sits out this year he is only hurtiing himself.

he has had 3 seasons.  2 were a waste as he was iinjured and not as effective

third year was impressive, but he still got dinged up and missed time near the end.

the durability issue makes signing him a major risk factor for any team.

even if he plays this year and has a good year, hes still been injured nearly as often as hes been healthy over the term of the contract.   the smart move  by the team is to franchise him to guarantee no long term risk in the event of another major injury.

obviously Cook knows this, and does not want it, so hes trying to force their hand early.

maybe Minny  can trade him, but the team trading for him has  to be willing to pay him.  I suspect the market isnt that large for his services given the situation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand him being upset and wanting more, but you don't pay RBs long term. You franchise tag them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No way he sits. It would be an incredibly dumb move. There is more than enough recent history to show him how bad it would be for him. 

Why do teams over pay for "skill positions" these days? I am paying my qb, if he is really good, offensive line, dline and key defenders. Receivers and running backs are about the most abundant resource in the league.

Im only paying one receiver IF my qb needs him as his anchor on the offense, but not if the guy is a complete lunatic diva

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought the same thing about L Bell, and he played on a super bowl caliber team, and yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad idea. Probably won’t even be a season so you want to be sure you stake your claim on accrued time. Same reason guys like Dak are going to sign their franchise tags. He doesn’t want that deal but if you don’t sign it and then season’s canceled or radically altered due to the pandemic, you’ve got no claim for any kind of compensation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t even even , no not ever ever talk about not being a season.  

Shame on you.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Don’t even even , no not ever ever talk about not being a season.  

Shame on you.  

What do you care; you don't watch it anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many ways to both enjoy sports and to support sports.  

Watching any sporting event on tv is boring and both a waste of ones time, now that we both agree on, but reading about the games and or listening on the old music box is a wonderful joy, I’m sure we both agree on that also.  

Hey thanks for the reply, appreciate it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Watching any sporting event on tv is boring and both a waste of ones time, now that we both agree on

Telling someone that they agree with you is not the same thing as them agreeing with you.

But then you're a moron, and that we all agree on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t blame RBs for wanting more money, their window is very small compared to others. If he earned a payday he deserves one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

Can’t blame RBs for wanting more money, their window is very small compared to others. If he earned a payday he deserves one. 

No, you can't. But you also can't blame teams for being hesitant to pay big bucks for a RB given the realities of the modern NFL.

I heard the perfect analogy. NFL RBs are like leasing a pickup truck. You work the hell out of it for the duration of the contract, then you move on to a new one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to wonder how COVID will affect this situation.  Could Cook be more likely to holdout to avoid COVID, even if he misses the entire season?  In other words, maybe he doesn’t even want to play but why not use it as an opportunity to get a new contract?  Also, there are already several MLB players who have said they won’t play this year whenever the season starts. Will there be NFL players doing the same?  If so, will the union demand they still get paid, or partially paid?  How will this affect holdouts?  Could the NFL claim Cook really isn’t holding out, but just avoiding COVID?  How would you prove that?  So many different ways it could play out..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RedzoneMonster said:

You have to wonder how COVID will affect this situation.  Could Cook be more likely to holdout to avoid COVID, even if he misses the entire season?  In other words, maybe he doesn’t even want to play but why not use it as an opportunity to get a new contract?  Also, there are already several MLB players who have said they won’t play this year whenever the season starts. Will there be NFL players doing the same?  If so, will the union demand they still get paid, or partially paid?  How will this affect holdouts?  Could the NFL claim Cook really isn’t holding out, but just avoiding COVID?  How would you prove that?  So many different ways it could play out..

I might wonder this for any other player, but the only reason Cook would hold out is to avoid tearing another ACL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×