Sign in to follow this  
IGotWorms

Whither the First Amendment?

The Trump administration sued the former national security adviser John R. Bolton on Tuesday to try to delay publication of his highly anticipated memoir about his time in the White House, saying the book contained classified information that would compromise national security if it became public.

The book, “The Room Where It Happened,” is set for release on June 23. Administration officials have repeatedly warned Mr. Bolton against publishing it.

Mr. Bolton made clear in a statement this week that his book contained explosive details about his time at the White House. He and Mr. Trump clashed on significant policy issues like Iran, North Korea and Afghanistan, and in his book, Mr. Bolton also confirmed accusations at the heart of the Democratic impeachment case over the president’s dealings with Ukraine, according to details from his manuscriptpreviously reported by The New York Times.

Bolton is a punk. Always was. Trump is too much of a star focker, never should have hired this loser to begin with. And what kind of spook writes a tell all? The guy was director of the NSA for gods sake. Act like it. 

• Thanks 2

Lol of all the real assaults on the first amendment this is the one worms  chose.

3 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

thats not a 1st amendment issue, but I thought you might know that as an attorney

And he’s an attorney that came to a fantasy football message board to ask if he should get attorney for his divorce 

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Crestwood 2 said:

And he’s an attorney that came to a fantasy football message board to ask if he should get attorney for his divorce 

His life is spiraling down the shitter.  Don’t be hard on him.  He is fragile.

Is this about NBC working in coordination with Google and foreign entities to silence conservative voices leading up the the election?

• Thanks 1

I suspect the ACLU will get on this, right after they finish up with all of our civil liberties denied because of covid.  Of course all of this will be after they finish their GLBTQ agenda.  Look for it on the 12th of never. 

I thought Bolten was a warmongering devil? Is this the lefts latest hero?

I've never liked the dude. I was surprised Trump kept him around for as long as he did.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

I thought Bolten was a warmongering devil? Is this the lefts latest hero?

I've never liked the dude. I was surprised Trump kept him around for as long as he did.

Trump surrounds himself with neocon insiders who hate him and undermine his agenda. 

29 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Trump surrounds himself with neocon insiders who hate him and undermine his agenda. 

He’s like George Steinbrenner at his worst. Has to always get the big name. Sessions is right up there with stupid appointments. He had Bannon and ran him off because of Jared. He needs to get Bannon back.  

18 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

And what kind of spook writes a tell all? The guy was director of the NSA for gods sake. Act like it. 

This right here. Act like a man and keep his mouth shut

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

He’s like George Steinbrenner at his worst. Has to always get the big name. Sessions is right up there with stupid appointments. He had Bannon and ran him off because of Jared. He needs to get Bannon back.  

Sessions was a great attorney general. Normally. He failed in one key regard. What you need in the job nowadays is a personal lawyer willing to do the dirty work and protect the president at all costs in legal war. Sessions had too much integrity. If you've seen Godfather, he's not a wartime consigliere.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Sessions was a great attorney general. Normally. He failed in one key regard. What you need in the job nowadays is a personal lawyer willing to do the dirty work and protect the president at all costs in legal war. Sessions had too much integrity. If you've seen Godfather, he's not a wartime consigliere.

Listen, you have a lot of good takes on stuff. But if Sessions couldn’t  see the Russia hoax for what it was and didn’t put a stop to it instead of aiding it, he has to be considered a complete failure. We went through nearly 3 years of that crap just so they could dirty Trump up. That was their goal the whole time because it was complete BS. 

8 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Listen, you have a lot of good takes on stuff. But if Sessions couldn’t  see the Russia hoax for what it was and didn’t put a stop to it instead of aiding it, he has to be considered a complete failure. We went through nearly 3 years of that crap just so they could dirty Trump up. That was their goal the whole time because it was complete BS. 

Sessions recused himself rather than aiding or fighting it because he was personally involved in the transition. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Sessions recused himself rather than aiding or fighting it because he was personally involved in the transition. 

He didn’t have to though. In a normal case you would be right. But it was a political hit job, and obvious from the beginning. It never even made a lick of sense, evidenced by 3 years and every nook and cranny  in Trumps world inspected with a magnifying glass and they came up with nothing.  

book contained classified information that would compromise national security 

It depends on if this is true or not.  How the hell do I know?

3 hours ago, Voltaire said:

He didn't have a choice snakes hide well and there are so many positions to fill who do you trust? I think he's getting there. It's got to be hard to get attacked from democrats and republicans.

21 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

He didn’t have to though. In a normal case you would be right. But it was a political hit job, and obvious from the beginning. It never even made a lick of sense, evidenced by 3 years and every nook and cranny  in Trumps world inspected with a magnifying glass and they came up with nothing.  

I wasn't really a Trump guy at first. I thought he was bloviating and didn't like his style. The 2016 election was a coin flip and his first year, Paul Ryan was controlling the agenda and I had the sense that we'd may as well have elected Jeb! So I wasn't paying attention to the Russia investigation anyway but I was loving what Sessions was doing with the Attorney General role. He had all the right enemies except for one (besides Trump). He was solid on immigration, gender identity, travel ban, and criminal justice (maybe too strong). He handled Charlottesville well.

In this environment when it's full on assault on Trump all the time for every little thing right or wrong, he was the wrong choice. Trump needed a guy to go to war with Congress and that's Barr not Sessions, but Sessions checks every other box.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Voltaire said:

I wasn't really a Trump guy at first. I thought he was bloviating and didn't like his style. The 2016 election was a coin flip and his first year, Paul Ryan was controlling the agenda and I had the sense that we'd may as well have elected Jeb! So I wasn't paying attention to the Russia investigation anyway but I was loving what Sessions was doing with the Attorney General role. He had all the right enemies except for one (besides Trump). He was solid on immigration, gender identity, travel ban, and criminal justice (maybe too strong). He handled Charlottesville well.

In this environment when it's full on assault on Trump all the time for every little thing right or wrong, he was the wrong choice. Trump needed a guy to go to war with Congress and that's Barr not Sessions, but Sessions checks every other box.

You’re a very informative guy. I’ll look at him a bit different. Still pissed he didn’t tell the left to get focked on Russia.  

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You’re a very informative guy. I’ll look at him a bit different. Still pissed he didn’t tell the left to get focked on Russia.  

I fell in love (so to speak) with Sessions as AG on day one, long before I did with Trump as president, it took me a good ten months to a year.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Bolton is a punk. Always was. Trump is too much of a star focker, never should have hired this loser to begin with. And what kind of spook writes a tell all? The guy was director of the NSA for gods sake. Act like it. 

Exactly Bolton was his worst hire. The guy is a certified POS.

13 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Exactly Bolton was his worst hire. The guy is a certified POS.

This. I saw the disaster from a mile away. Trump isn't a neocon but it's well known that the national security advisers is filled to the brim with careerist neolibs and neocons. He needed somebody in the position with zero inclination towards provoking regime changing wars in the Middle East. I'd hoped that having Bolton there would serve as a sort of diplomatic tool;  the focker was an adviser and Trump was unpredictable, and in that regard it worked. Just hire him and put him front and center so Iran sees he has an influential job but behind the scenes, ignore him. That actually worked out well, but the guy knew Trump had totally different ideas, ddin't like being used as a warmongering ornament, and turned out to be a total backstabbing snake.

On 6/17/2020 at 5:37 PM, Voltaire said:

Uh, no. That’s exactly what an attorney general should not be.

31 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Uh, no. That’s exactly what an attorney general should not be.

When the political opposition does things they should not be doing, you can't unilaterally disarm. If you put a guy like Sessions with his integrity and a sense of fairness and impartiality in as attorney general, recusing himself, we saw the results. He got rolled. I love Sessions and hope he wins back his Senate seat because he is at his core a good man, but he got rolled.

Sessions is a cultural warrior but he isn't a legal warrior. Maybe you disagree with his politics as much as I agree with them, but he wanted to do things the right way and play fair along the way.

The Dems though are vicious. They  turned to partisan total a$$holes to to attack Trump at every turn, baselessly and fictitiously more times than not, trying to spin straw into gold. They have demonstrated that they can, have, and will use every legal tactic they come across, no matter how baseless the charge, which in turn gets magnified and blown up by the allied MSM press. So, returning fire, Trump felt he needed a legal a$$hole of his own to play defense because Sessions wasn't cutting it. Conveniently, if unhappily, the legal profession is flush full of a$$holes and they come in all different political persuasions.  That's what Barr is and what he does. Sure he's a total partisan hack, sure he's willing to stick his neck on the line with interpretations of the law that benefit his client at every turn, that's what the job entails these days.

And yes, as Attorney General, "his client" should be the people of the United States, not the president. Well, Trump had one of those and it didn't go well, so here's Bill Barr. Before he came on the scene, Eric Holder for Obama and Alberto Gonzalez for Bush the Dumber had ran the Justice Department the same way, so it's not like a partisan hack as AG isn't something we haven't seen before, it's become the new norm. 

• Confused 1

Federal judge denies Trump attempt to block release of Bolton's book.

A federal judge has denied the Trump administration's attempt to block the upcoming publication of a book by former national security adviser John Bolton.

Judge Royce Lamberth of the DC District Court wrote in a 10-page decision Saturday morning that the Justice Department's arguments weren't enough to stop the book's release. He cited how the book, which is scheduled to be released Tuesday, had already been widely distributed, and could easily be distributed further on the internet, even if the court said it could not be.
"For reasons that hardly need to be stated, the Court will not order a nationwide seizure and destruction of a political memoir," Lamberth wrote.
The judge's ruling Saturday quickly dispels a long-shot attempt by the Trump administration to stymy the book's release -- an attempt roundly condemned as antithetical to the First Amendment. But Lamberth's decision also keeps alive major risks for Bolton, such as the administration's effort to claw back proceeds from the book, including from any movie 

Nobody cares. It already leaked, blah blah blah. Trump was just buying time so it would leak and he could discredit it, which happened. He’s smart like that.  

• Thanks 1