Sign in to follow this  
edjr

16 people get Corona from going to a bar (7 employees test positive too)

https://people.com/health/health-care-worker-15-friends-get-coronavirus-florida-bar/

After months of social distancing and staying home, Erika Crisp was excited to go out with 15 of her friends to a newly reopened bar in Jacksonville, Florida. But she now regrets the decision after all 16 of them tested positive for the new coronavirus, COVID-19 — along with seven of the bar’s employees.

Crisp, 40, who is a care management assistant at a medical center, decided to go to Lynch’s Irish Pub with her friends on June 6.

“We’ve all been stuck indoors for months, being careful, social distancing, doing everything the right way,” she told News4Jax.

Crisp started feeling sick eight days ago, with shortness of breath. She tested positive for COVID-19, along with 15 of her friends.

“The only thing we have in common is that night at that bar,” she said.

After hearing about their cases, Lynch’s general manager Keith Doherty voluntarily closed the bar for a deep cleaning and had his 49 employees get tested for COVID-19, with seven of them testing positive.

COVID-19 cases are currently spiking in Florida, which is now seeing its highest daily totals of the entire pandemic. On June 6, when Crisp and her friends went to Lynch’s, new cases totaled 1,270. By June 13, Florida hit a high of 2,581 cases.

Is this anything?

I do think that COVID-19 is more serious at the moment but these people getting sick from going to a bar is no different than if they all got a cold or flu after going to a bar.  Just look at the outbreaks of flu that happen ever school year and people just chalk that up as another flu season for kids.  It will be nice when we have some kind of vaccine and we can go about treating this as just another sickness like everything else.

That's a highly infectious strain with 100% of the friends catching it and a significant number os staff.

29 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I do think that COVID-19 is more serious at the moment but these people getting sick from going to a bar is no different than if they all got a cold or flu after going to a bar.  Just look at the outbreaks of flu that happen ever school year and people just chalk that up as another flu season for kids.  It will be nice when we have some kind of vaccine and we can go about treating this as just another sickness like everything else.

Yeah it’s just like the flu, only much more contagious and about 50 times deadlier.

Otherwise, good analysis :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

But did we flatten the curve. That’s all the matters

So that the hospitals weren’t overrun and had time to catch up, yes.

Unfortunately most people seemed to think that was the end, rather than the first salvo in a very long battle.

39 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

That's a highly infectious strain with 100% of the friends catching it and a significant number os staff.

Agreed :(  

9 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Yeah it’s just like the flu, only much more contagious and about 50 times deadlier.

Otherwise, good analysis :thumbsup:

I said it was more serious, or did you gloss over that part.  Of course it's more contagious and deadlier right now, it's a new virus.  Can we please start using some damn common sense with this stupid virus soon?

Definitely more contagious than the flu. That;s a ridiculous infection rate from one outing. Plus it's not like someone was out at the bar hacking it up I assume. I have not observed a single person exhibiting symptoms since this all started, but I'm sure I have been around some people who would test positive.

I have been hitting the gym a few times the last few weeks. I have something important on Monday to go to, so I am prob staying out of the gym until then.

9 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Definitely more contagious than the flu. That;s a ridiculous infection rate from one outing. Plus it's not like someone was out at the bar hacking it up I assume. I have not observed a single person exhibiting symptoms since this all started, but I'm sure I have been around some people who would test positive.

I have been hitting the gym a few times the last few weeks. I have something important on Monday to go to, so I am prob staying out of the gym until then.

Aren’t you in PA? Gyms in Philadelphia county are still closed. I may cancel my membership when they reopen. 

16 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I said it was more serious, or did you gloss over that part.  Of course it's more contagious and deadlier right now, it's a new virus.  Can we please start using some damn common sense with this stupid virus soon?

“More serious” being a severe understatement. Hundreds of thousands will likely die this year and that’s with us having closed down the whole dern country.

1 minute ago, MDC said:

Aren’t you in PA? Gyms in Philadelphia county are still closed. I may cancel my membership when they reopen. 

No I'm in Chicago burbs. Gyms opened back up here. As of now I am going once a week. If cases spike in the area I may stop going. As of now I am just running a lot, but I do want to get back to weight training.

39 minutes ago, The Elevator Killer said:

My girl bought us tickets to go see Stephen Lynch in Sept. I don't see that happening unless something changes.

His last name is offensive, he needs to change it...

1 minute ago, IGotWorms said:

“More serious” being a severe understatement. Hundreds of thousands will likely die this year and that’s with us having closed down the whole dern country.

I'm well aware of that.  Relax a little bit.

I'm not 75 years old, diabetic nor do I have pre existing conditions.

I'm 95% sure I had the Corona back in February. Outside of losing my sense of taste/smell for 4 days - I was fine.

If you feel it's a big deal, stay home. I'll be at the bars, restaurants, golf courses, stores and anywhere else that's open. 

One of our employees who had it also had a few of his friends test positive for it.  I found out that he had a party Memorial Day weekend and they were all bonging beers out of the same bong.  Play stupid games and win stupid prizes.

COVID is real and it is serious but common sense can still go a long way with getting things back to normal sooner than later.

27 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I'm not 75 years old, diabetic nor do I have pre existing conditions.

I'm 95% sure I had the Corona back in February. Outside of losing my sense of taste/smell for 4 days - I was fine.

If you feel it's a big deal, stay home. I'll be at the bars, restaurants, golf courses, stores and anywhere else that's open. 

This.... 

Stop playing it up for political reasons. You hacks played your hand by encouraging and supporting the violent protests. Kindly fock off. 

1 minute ago, drobeski said:

This.... 

Stop playing it up for political reasons. You hacks played your hand by encouraging and supporting the violent protests. Kindly fock off. 

:wacko:

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

Hundreds of thousands also die from pneumonia. If it isn't COVID it's pneumonia. 

Sorry but nobody is buying your crackpot death theories any more. All of these people will be fine. They might get the sniffles for a couple of days, big whoop. 

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

One of our employees who had it also had a few of his friends test positive for it.  I found out that he had a party Memorial Day weekend and they were all bonging beers out of the same bong.  Play stupid games and win stupid prizes.

COVID is real and it is serious but common sense can still go a long way with getting things back to normal sooner than later.

Oh my, how many died?

Just now, Cdub100 said:

Hundreds of thousands also die from pneumonia. If it isn't COVID it's pneumonia. 

Sorry but nobody is buying your crackpot death theories any more. All of these people will be fine. They might get the sniffles for a couple of days, big whoop. 

Mail in voting 

Just now, Cdub100 said:

Oh my, how many died?

Since they were healthy and in their mid 20's, none.  Zero side effects that I know of also.  Our employee felt fine after just a couple days but had to stay quarantined.

3 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Oh my, how many died?

Depends if democrat governors were involved.  

2 minutes ago, drobeski said:

Depends if democrat governors were involved.  

Probably got sent to nursing homes to recover.

I’m not going anywhere or taking my family anywhere where the risk of catching this is higher. My body, my choice. Let others decide for themselves as well. Worried? Stay home and avoid others as much as possible. Simple. 

24 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

2017 pnemonia

Number of deaths: 49,157

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/pneumonia.htm

2020 coronavirus from Feb 29th until today

Deaths:

I am all for reopening, but stop with trying to say this virus is the same as anything else. You don't have 16 friends go to a bar and all come down with pneumonia. 2.42 times the amount of people have died from covid than pneumonia in 30% of the amount of time. And that was with extreme precautions in place. The spiking of cases proves that isolation did help to slow the spread of covid.

3 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

2017 pnemonia

Deaths:

I am all for reopening, but stop with trying to say this virus is the same as anything else. You don't have 16 friends go to a bar and all come down with pneumonia. 2.42 times the amount of people have died from covid than pneumonia in 30% of the amount of time. And that was with extreme precautions in place. The spiking of cases proves that isolation did help to slow the spread of covid.

You know they were labeling practically all deaths to covid right ? Regardless if they were even tested or not. 

1 minute ago, drobeski said:

You know they were labeling practically all deaths to covid right ? Regardless if they were even tested or not. 

There are a few cases where this happened I'm sure. We also have health experts who say covid stats are under reported. For argument sake let's say 20k deaths were not covid related (which would be surprising if the numbers were that grossly miss reported), that still leaves us with around 100k deaths in less than 4 months.

Just now, Frozenbeernuts said:

There are a few cases where this happened I'm sure. We also have health experts who say covid stats are under reported. For argument sake let's say 20k deaths were not covid related (which would be surprising if the numbers were that grossly miss reported), that still leaves us with around 100k deaths in less than 4 months.

How did intentionally, by mandate, sending covid positive patients into nursing homes effect these numbers ? 

That happened also, in many democrat led states. 

From the beginning it should have been about protecting those most vulnerable.  It never has been.  It was in fact the opposite. 

Wake up

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, drobeski said:

How did intentionally, by mandate, sending covid positive patients into nursing homes effect these numbers ? 

That happened also, in many democrat led states. 

From the beginning it should have been about protecting those most vulnerable.  It never has been.  It was in fact the opposite. 

Wake up

I am not saying that nursing home's were protected. I am FOR opening up. I am just disputing the statements that claim covid is equally as dangerous as pneumonia or the flu when the numbers blatantly show that it's more serious

It’s gonna be funny to see how many people that died from COVID will be casting a vote this year.

14 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

2017 pnemonia

Deaths:

I can't trust much of the data about COVID yet.  So many states and counties have had too many discrepancies in how they have been doing tests and collecting data.  It's all one huge clusterfock.  The numbers could be higher or they could be far less, no one knows.  Someone can find some set of data that supports their opinion whether it be for opening up or closing down.  All I know is that things need to open up but still use caution and common sense, if it even exists any more.

15 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

2017 pnemonia

Deaths:

I was talking about world wide. Also 2018 numbers where 60,000 in the US And this is for a virus/bacteria that has been around for a very long time so many are immune or are largely checked in place by the flu vaccine. COVID is new so yeah, we should see more deaths but as drobs said, too many deaths are listed as COVID when that isn't what killed them.

3 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I am not saying that nursing home's were protected. I am FOR opening up. I am just disputing the statements that claim covid is equally as dangerous as pneumonia or the flu when the numbers blatantly show that it's more serious

Who has made that statement?  You acted as if I did but I didn't.  It's like arguing for the sake of arguing right now.