Sign in to follow this  
DonS

Software development is RACIST

For those of us in software development and configuration management... I'm not surprised by this in the least.

https://www.cnet.com/news/microsofts-github-is-removing-coding-terms-like-master-and-slave/

My job deals with collection and processing of 3D LIDAR data for mapping.  We use a suite of software called TerraSolid for processing the billions of laser returns.  Each component is named Terra<Something> (TerraScan, TerraMatch, etc).  To distribute processing across multiple machines we use TerraSlave.  Just a matter of time before its renamed TerraHappyWorkers. 

Brakes are racist too. Stopping will no longer be permitted. 

Thanks, Reggie

21 minutes ago, DonS said:

For those of us in software development and configuration management... I'm not surprised by this in the least.

https://www.cnet.com/news/microsofts-github-is-removing-coding-terms-like-master-and-slave/

My job deals with collection and processing of 3D LIDAR data for mapping.  We use a suite of software called TerraSolid for processing the billions of laser returns.  Each component is named Terra<Something> (TerraScan, TerraMatch, etc).  To distribute processing across multiple machines we use TerraSlave.  Just a matter of time before its renamed TerraHappyWorkers. 

Holy crap.  We don't even sugar coat it.  I just looked in our s/w and we use the actual words "master" and "slave".  And we're a very woke company.  I'll be looking for the announcement that we're changing those!!!!  😁

Nows the time to start you're own company. All you have to do is mimick what the woke companies do but hire competent people and stay away from the SJW cancer. The woke companies will continue to put out a worse and worse product while people will flock to you because your software actually works.

• Thanks 1

I'm also seeing articles about blacklist/whitelist needing to be changed.  James Spader is racist. 

2 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Nows the time to start you're own company. All you have to do is mimick what the woke companies do but hire competent people and stay away from the SJW cancer. The woke companies will continue to put out a worse and worse product while people will flock to you because your software actually works.

You could also start a company like Y2K businesses that updated everyone's software to make sure it was Y2K compliant.   You can apply the current SJW compliant names to keep everyone correctly woke.  Call it "GrepAndReplace.com"

10 minutes ago, Strike said:

Holy crap.  We don't even sugar coat it.  I just looked in our s/w and we use the actual words "master" and "slave".  And we're a very woke company.  I'll be looking for the announcement that we're changing those!!!!  😁

You should be proactive and bring it to the attention of the president and CEO, etc.  You would be a hero!!

5 minutes ago, DonS said:

I'm also seeing articles about blacklist/whitelist needing to be changed.  James Spader is racist. 

So is AdBlock, UBlock many sites that ask to "whitelist" their site...

9 minutes ago, usurpers26 said:

:first:

I still have my "Get a Grep" bumper sticker somewhere...

Glad someone understood.  Ya focking old nerd!!!!   :cheers:

20 minutes ago, DonS said:

You could also start a company like Y2K businesses that updated everyone's software to make sure it was Y2K compliant.   You can apply the current SJW compliant names to keep everyone correctly woke.  Call it "GrepAndReplace.com"

That's actually a great idea.

2 hours ago, Strike said:

Its been used forever of course, used to be how you described hard drives in early computers etc....

Hey, if it makes them happy rename it all, meanwhile how many black men were killed in Chicago or Baltimore last night?  Yeah, lets focus on what software is named though,....

Stupid is as stupid does....

2 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Its been used forever of course, used to be how you described hard drives in early computers etc....

Hey, if it makes them happy rename it all, meanwhile how many black men were killed in Chicago or Baltimore last night?  Yeah, lets focus on what software is named though,....

Stupid is as stupid does....

I wish Baltimore had a site like Chicago does...

7 minutes ago, blick said:

When does “Black-ish” get renamed or cancelled?

It won't...  It has a majority black cast...

1 minute ago, posty said:

It won't...  It has a majority black cast...

Such irony...

16 hours ago, DonS said:

I gotta admit, I chuckle every time I read that Collin kaepernick was black balled.