Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
titans&bucs&bearsohmy!

Anybody had LASIK?

Recommended Posts

So I'm stuck here in China for a month and a half for summer break. Have been wanting to do laser eye surgery for years.

There is a German outfit here with German doctors and equipment. Locations all over the world. Looks very good. They said they do a procedure called SMILE. Costs $3k.

Anyone had any experience with this? It would be amazing to never need glasses again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been many years since I had it and it was a life changer. Do it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How long were you not allowed to look at TV screens etc?  How long before night halos went away? Those are the 2 big issues to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, riversco said:

How long were you not allowed to look at TV screens etc?  How long before night halos went away? Those are the 2 big issues to me.

Had it done about 15 years ago now, best decision ever (was 20/15 after).

The only restrictions were no driving until cleared by doc (next day for me).  Wear the shields while sleeping for 2-3 days and all the damn eye drops.  Was never told not to look at a screen nor did I ever have halos.  I had halos before i got it done :) ...when the doc cleared me to drive the next day and I got on the highway I almost threw up.  The new found depth perception was almost too much.

Just had my eyes checked a couple months ago and it is just starting to fade, 20 in one eye, other is between 20-25.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did it about 10 years ago.

I'd do it again. No question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my story...  

Recently I had to get glasses for driving.... so its been 7 years since LASIK.  I have never ever regretted it, and would pay the money again in a heartbeat.

 My eyes are still 20/20.  Only thing is distance signs started getting fuzzy.  And quite honestly they told me that... mid 40's... early 50's.. everyone starts needing readers etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mmmmm...beer said:

And quite honestly they told me that... mid 40's... early 50's.. everyone starts needing readers etc.

Yup, it won't beat physiology :)

I might get it done again if/when it makes sense.  My eye doc said give it at least another 3-4 years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Here's my story...  

Recently I had to get glasses for driving.... so its been 7 years since LASIK.  I have never ever regretted it, and would pay the money again in a heartbeat.

 My eyes are still 20/20.  Only thing is distance signs started getting fuzzy.  And quite honestly they told me that... mid 40's... early 50's.. everyone starts needing readers etc.

Your lens grows in layers like an onion...its not your lasik...its your lens getting thicker and doesnt stretch flat when your muscles pull..happens to everyone as they get older..thats why alot of peeps need cheaters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Your lens grows in layers like an onion...its not your lasik...its your lens getting thicker and doesnt stretch flat when your muscles pull..happens to everyone as they get older..thats why alot of peeps need cheaters.

Yeah the LASIK doc said it would.  LASIK won't make that worse or better ie stave off cheaters or make them come faster.  The time for cheaters comes when it comes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep.  Had it.  Considering going back for a 2nd round because, as noted, it doesn't stave off the natural changes/deterioration that come with age.  18 years later and my eyesight is not what it was when I had the surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×