Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

25 yr Macallan

So I was father's day shopping this weekend and picked up some bourbon as a gift.  I noticed way up on the top shelf this 25 yr bottle of macallan so I had to ask the going price.  I was informed it was $2,150.00.

That's quite a haul for a bottle of scotch.  I think their 18 yr is just over $400, and then your more common 15 yr is probably like $70.

At what point is the age not worth the extra coin?

I think it depends on you and your finances.....if i were "wealthy" I would buy it in a heartbeat because I know I will love it.  But since I am not wealthy, no way can I justify that coin on it....sadly....

But I will often splurge for a Winkle bourbon, and when I am out I treat myself to an old fashion with Sagamore.....thats about it, then I have my private collection of modestly priced scotch at home

I’ve heard recently the bourbon market is a flipper’s paradise.  Don’t know the angle or how it’s working but I guess there are guys buying the high end stuff and flipping for profit. 

15 year- mmmmm

18 year- hey guys, I splurged a little for this occasion- hope you enjoy it

25 year- HEY look at me!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

So I was father's day shopping this weekend and picked up some bourbon as a gift.  I noticed way up on the top shelf this 25 yr bottle of macallan so I had to ask the going price.  I was informed it was $2,150.00.

That's quite a haul for a bottle of scotch.  I think their 18 yr is just over $400, and then your more common 15 yr is probably like $70.

At what point is the age not worth the extra coin?

I just looked at TotalWine.com -- 25 yr is $1850, 18 yr is $370, and 15 yr is $140 (12 yr is $70).  I wouldn't personally go past the 12 except for a special occasion.  

4 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

I am more of a Glenlivet 12 year old being just fine, kind of a guy.

I love Glenlivet Founder's Reserve, blue bottle, only $30, very smooth.

I just saw a new one I hadn't seen, Caribbean Reserve, which is finished in rum barrels and claims to have fruity notes.  Only $31, I'll try it next time I stock up.  :cheers:

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/scotch/single-malt/glenlivet-caribbean-reserve/p/227473750?s=1004&igrules=true

9 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

The state liquor store in Salem, NH has a bottle of 50 year old Glen Grant for $14,000.

Bought 2 of them last week. 

11 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I love Glenlivet Founder's Reserve, blue bottle, only $30, very smooth.

I just saw a new one I hadn't seen, Caribbean Reserve, which is finished in rum barrels and claims to have fruity notes.  Only $31, I'll try it next time I stock up.  :cheers:

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/scotch/single-malt/glenlivet-caribbean-reserve/p/227473750?s=1004&igrules=true

Never tried Glenlivet, gonna give that a try here soon, like the price for sure...  Not a fancy drinks kind of guy all the time but, when I do, I want scotch.

Johnny Walker Black is usually my go to.

33 minutes ago, Reality said:

Never tried Glenlivet, gonna give that a try here soon, like the price for sure...  Not a fancy drinks kind of guy all the time but, when I do, I want scotch.

Glenlivet is one of my go-tos along with glenfiddich and glenmorangie.

But I like the smooth scotches that aren’t super peaty or smoky so it really comes down to your preferences.

41 minutes ago, Reality said:

Blended Scotch guys rarely cross the line to Single Malts.  Whereas Single Malt guys can take all comers.  Kind of like how light beer guys get wasted after 3 Micros.  For the record I love JW. 

4 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Blended Scotch guys rarely cross the line to Single Malts.  Whereas Single Malt guys can take all comers.  Kind of like how light beer guys get wasted after 3 Micros.  For the record I love JW. 

Yea, I'm definitely not sophisticated enough for all that.  I like how JW Black tastes with a few ice cubes and a cigar.  Prob partake every 6 or 8 weeks.

5 minutes ago, Reality said:

Yea, I'm definitely not sophisticated enough for all that.  I like how JW Black tastes with a few ice cubes and a cigar.  Prob partake every 6 or 8 weeks.

JW Green is my absolute favorite Scotch.  Use to be everywhere, now it's tough to find.  When I go Single Malt, I prefer a full peat Islay.

Americans have been ruined by cold drinks, and I am an American.  A couple of cubes not only gives a chill, but mellows the Scotch as you drink it.  By the end you need another. 

Neat.

But I did get some square cubes you put in the freezer for drinks that don't melt if I wanted to use them.

I'm not up to speed at all on booze.  Could something like this be an investment opportunity?  I mean, why not buy 10 bottles of the 12 or 15 year old stuff (which ever is the $70), and drop $700.  In 10 to 12 years, each bottle would be anywhere from double to triple the total investment?

10 bottles for $700... sell in 10-15 years for $2000 each... I turned $700 into $20,000.

Am I over simplifying it?

7 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Neat.

But I did get some square balls you put in the freezer for drinks that don't melt if I wanted to use them.

I heard of "Whiskey Stones".  Is that what this is?

18 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'm not up to speed at all on booze.  Could something like this be an investment opportunity?  I mean, why not buy 10 bottles of the 12 or 15 year old stuff (which ever is the $70), and drop $700.  In 10 to 12 years, each bottle would be anywhere from double to triple the total investment?

10 bottles for $700... sell in 10-15 years for $2000 each... I turned $700 into $20,000.

I magically quits aging once it's bottled.  

55 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Yes. It ages in the barrel which supposedly gives it a deeper/more complex taste.

1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

I magically quits aging once it's bottled.  

30 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Yes. It ages in the barrel which supposedly gives it a deeper/more complex taste.

Ah, ok.  Thanks.  I guess that does make sense.  I mean, I can understand the aging in the barrel for 25 years being better than 12 in the barrel and then 13 in the bottle, but the aging completely stopping in the bottle seems like a reach.  Though I could, again, be over simplifying.

Anything that costs more than a bottle of whatever you like from the store isn’t worth it. Could do a blind taste test with Johnnie Walker or whatever other company and no one would tell the difference. 

4 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Do you guys drink neat or on the rocks? I bought these to have ice that doesn’t melt as much. So far, so good.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ACTN54/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdo_t1_A518Eb2AEPTRW

I've started adding a few drops of water or a few ice slivers to mine; it opens it up, sorta like aerating a wine.

3 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

Neat.

But I did get some square cubes you put in the freezer for drinks that don't melt if I wanted to use them.

And I have the whiskey stones which someone else named, I'll sometimes use the above water.  :cheers:

20 hours ago, jerryskids said:

You should give Balvenie 14yr Caribbean Cask a try.  It's more expensive ($75) but one of my favorites. 

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/scotch/single-malt/balvenie-14-yr-caribbean-cask/p/113439750?s=1405&igrules=true