Sign in to follow this  
vuduchile

MLB top story lines of a 60 game season

Let's assume they actually do play and don't get shut down by the Kung Flu. 

1.  Will the cheaters get off easy and only miss this shortened season? 

2.  How will pitchers be used?  Season is cut by almost a third.  Do pitchers need the same amount of rest between outings?

3.  Soto, Acuna, Alonso, Alvarez.  Will they deliver during a shortened season or will they fizzle and be forgotten about?

4. Universal DH.  I feel like the NL will easily roll with this.  

5.  Man on 2nd during extra innings.  Will we see this now?

6. Will Trout still dominate?  

7.  Betts to the Dodgers.  Looks like the team to beat on paper.

8.  Will rookies, Luis Robert, Gavin Lux, Jesus Luzardo, Dustin May, and Bo Bichette have time to make an impact in only 60 games?

9.  Which prospects are we likely to see in a MLB uniform this year?  I'm thinking Wander Franco might see some action.

Whatta you got? 

No one caring? Not being a dik, but I think it’s gonna happen. Most fantasy leagues got wrecked because they were fighting over our money and you can’t go to a game.  

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

No one caring? Not being a dik, but I think it’s gonna happen. Most fantasy leagues got wrecked because they were fighting over our money and you can’t go to a game.  

Could be.  I still feel like Joe six pack really wants sports to come back. 

I have youth baseball now,  plus family, and work, but TV and movies are a focking wasteland.  I'd like to have something entertaining to watch at night.  

Sucks that the DH would be in the NL this year...  I guess I can live with it if the NL removes it next year doing a new season...  Be even better if the AL got rid of it, but we know that will never happen...

As for the man starting on second base in extras, still one of the stupidest ideas there is...  Nothing wrong if the game is still tied after 12 innings to end it in a tie...  But just for this year...

• Like 2

BURN IT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, posty said:

Sucks that the DH would be in the NL this year...  I guess I can live with it if the NL removes it next year doing a new season...  Be even better if the AL got rid of it, but we know that will never happen...

As for the man starting on second base in extras, still one of the stupidest ideas there is...  Nothing wrong if the game is still tied after 12 innings to end it in a tie...  But just for this year...

They should start extra innings with a guy leading off of third.

Every team should be required to have a midget and a chick. 

• Haha 1

how many teams will suck on purpose to get a better draft pick?

14 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Not really sure what the benefit will be.  There's a chance that colleges have a limited season or even called off.  Title IX is still in effect.  If colleges cancel men and women sports in the fall and winter, they'll probably have to cancel them in the spring as well.

16 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Seems less likely in MLB vs NBA and NFL. 

18 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

That’s probably why half the teams are making the playoffs. 

It is my understanding after players turned down the last offer they gave up the chance at the extras. Mandated season means no man in second. No NL DH. No expanded playoffs. 

12 minutes ago, TommyGavin said:

It is my understanding after players turned down the last offer they gave up the chance at the extras. Mandated season means no man in second. No NL DH. No expanded playoffs. 

I'm fine with all of that.  Just play.

Just now, frank said:

Someone might hit 20 HR. 

Pirates will only lose 50 games. 

I think they'll turn in the worst win% in MLB history this year.  Seriously, I think that outside of a handful of players, the bulk of the playing time will be AA and AAA prospects to get them to develop.

Who is going to hit .400 ?

starting pitchers - how many starts ? How many innings per start ?

• Like 1

Hate to say it- I stopped following baseball during one of their other strikes. The money was hey make seems d astronomical compared to my earnings at the time. 

39 minutes ago, TommyGavin said:

Who is going to hit .400 ?

starting pitchers - how many starts ? How many innings per start ?

I think Chipper was probably the last guy to hit .400 over 60 games. 
We could see a .400 hitter, but it won’t matter much.  

In theory, we should see higher intensity play through the regular season, but the players might be apathetic about the season.   No fans in the stands could have a huge impact.  

They are using their own stadiums for summer training. No chance this happens.

Dudes be chasing tail and getting covid all over the place

New Rules/Regulations for upcoming MLB Season...(Taken from CBS Boston)

Season Rules
  • The 2020 regular season will begin on July 23rd or July 24th, with 60 games over a 66-day period.
  • Teams will mostly play against their own division, with a few interleague games against the corresponding division. Teams will play 10 games each against the other four teams in its division, consisting of two- or three-game series. The remaining 20 games on the schedule will come against interleague counterparts (AL East vs. NL East), playing each opponent four times each.
  • The National League will now use a designated hitter.
  • The three-batter rule for relief pitchers will remain as planned.
  • Teams will begin extra innings with a runner on second base.
  • Games that are stopped due to rain before the fifth inning will no longer count as washouts, and will be considered “suspended games” that will be resumed.
Roster Rules
  • Rosters will start with 30 players for the first two weeks of the season, drop to 28 players for the next two weeks, and then stay at 26 players the rest of the season.
  • Instead of a 40-man roster, teams can retain 60 players overall. Those players not on the active roster will exist on a taxi squad, with three players from that group able to travel with the team to games. One of those three players must be a catcher.
  • The trade deadline is set for Aug. 31. The active roster deadline for playoff eligibility is set for Sept. 15.
  • There will be a special COVID-19 Injured List with no minimum or maximum length of time spent on it. Injury List stints will remain at 10 days, while the 60-day IL will instead last for 45 days.
  • Players will be paid a full prorated portion of their 2020 salary based on games played, which will equal approximately 37 percent for the full season.
Player Rules
  • There will be no bat boys/girls or ball boys/girls, so team staff will handle those duties. Hitters will have to bring their own equipment (pine-tar rags, donuts, etc.) with them to and from the on-deck circle.
  • Pitchers will have to bring their own rosin bag to the mound, and use their own personal baseballs for bullpen sessions.
  • Hitters and runners left on base will have to get their own equipment from the dugout when the inning ends.
  • NO MORE SPITTING! Spitting is prohibited, including sunflower seeds and shells. Smokeless tobacco is also prohibited, while chewing gun will be allowed.
  • Players licking their fingers is now prohibited. Pitchers can carry a “wet rag” in their pocket to moisten their fingers before pitches.
  • Batting practice balls can only be used that day, and will have to be cleaned and sanitized after use. They cannot be reused for five days.
  • Fighting and instigating is a big no-no and will be met with “severe discipline.” Players cannot make physical contact with any other players outside of making tags and other incidental contact.
  • High fives, fist bumps and hugs are all prohibited. So no more elaborate high five celebrations come the playoffs.
  • Showering at the ballpark is “discouraged but not prohibited.”
COVID-19 Testing
  • Players, coaches, staff and those involved in baseball operations will have to answer a symptoms/exposure questionnaire before arriving at spring training. Those individuals will also have a temperature check, COVID-19 saliva or nose swab test, and an antibody blood test before arriving at spring training.
  • Players will undergo temperature and symptom checks twice a day, and anyone with a temp higher than 100.4 degrees will not be allowed to enter a ballpark. Those who have close physical contact with players will undergo saliva tests every other day. Everyone else in and around ballparks and part of team ops. will undergo multiple tests per weeks. Test results are supposed to be returned in 24 hours.
  • If someone develops COVID-19 symptoms while at the ballpark, they must isolate as soon as possible and the team will conduct contact tracing procedures and clean all facilities.
  • Those who test positive will be placed on the COVID-19 Related Injured List, which does not have a time limit. To be removed from the list, players have to test negative twice at least 24 hours apart, cannot have had a fever for at least 72 hours, and must have taken an antibody test. Doctors and a joint COVID-19 committee created by the league and the union must all sign off for a player to be removed from the list.
  • High risk players can sit out the 2020 season, and will be placed on the COVID-19 Related Injured List. Those who choose to sit out the season will be paid and will receive service time.
  • Players who live with or are regularly in close contact with high risk individuals can also sit out, but they may not automatically receive pay and credit for service time. MLB is expected to make several accommodations on this front though, including situations with players who are expecting children during the season.
  • Teams will identify high risk personal (people who, by virtue of their age and/or medical history, are at a materially higher risk of developing severe illness or complications from COVID-19 exposure) and afford them special accommodations such as separate entrances to the park, separate private spaces at a ball park, and allowing them to spend as little time at the park as is necessary to do their job.
Media Restrictions
  • There will be limited media access to players, with video press conferences taking the place of one-on-one or scrums.
  • Reporters will be allowed in stadiums but they will not be allowed near players.
  • There will be no visiting broadcast teams, with the home broadcast crews providing a common feed to the visiting teams. Visiting broadcasters will call games remotely.

What are everyone's thoughts on having an NL DH and starting with a man on 2nd in extra innings? I'm personally hype we are getting ANY season or at least making the strides to do so.

21 minutes ago, vuduchile said:
New Rules/Regulations for upcoming MLB Season...(Taken from CBS Boston)

Season Rules
  • The National League will now use a designated hitter.
  • The three-batter rule for relief pitchers will remain as planned.
  • Teams will begin extra innings with a runner on second base.

These are the worst rules ever...

They really think Covid can be spread via a rosin bag? Lol 

2 hours ago, posty said:

Just continuing the spiral down as baseball swirls the bowl.

They'll probably get in about a dozen games before too many are infected to field teams.

19 hours ago, Old School said:

Hate to say it- I stopped following baseball during one of their other strikes. The money was hey make seems d astronomical compared to my earnings at the time. 

I don't hold that against them at all.  It's an entertainment industry business.  Money is generated by the business through the entertainment the players provide.   If the business makes $1M, then the players should get a fair negotiated cut.  If they make $5B, that number changes.  I have no problem at all with players and owners negotiating their fair shares.  The one thing I won't tolerate is either side complaining that the other side wants too much money.  Simply, negotiate a deal.  When a deal can't be reached, don't say "wah wah wah, we can't get out $1M" or something like that.  Come out and say, "We think the deal is too one-sided on a few issues and we won't agree until it's more even"... and be done with it.  Don't let the garbage media people bait you into saying something that could hurt you.

There should never be a strike that stops a season.  That was the players fault, solely, and they've never recovered from that.  What they should have done was play the season out and address the issues in the off-season.  They're handling things the right way now.  The season didn't start yet, so try to get what you want.  Just come to an agreement at some point and just play.  Now, if the players don't want to play because of safety/health reasons, then I'm fine with that.  Don't play, say why, and don't make excuses about money.

21 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

No one caring? Not being a dik, but I think it’s gonna happen.

5 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Just continuing the spiral down as baseball swirls the bowl.

they in a way should get a bump from sports being on a covid time out, but I think it is going to be an ugly wake up call.  i will watch just about any sport.  examples..figure skating in the olympics, also the table tennis gold match game, friggen curling, cornhole for gods sake.  I have no interest in watching baseball this year.  

18 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

A 60 game schedule is way better than normal. I may actually give a crap about baseball if they did that every season. 

Personally, I'd love a shorter season followed by a bigger playoff field that was more like college baseball.  I'd love to see a 100-game season with an 8 team double elimination tournament in each league, followed by a double elimination tournament with the final four for the championship.  Just once, to see how it goes.

2 hours ago, posty said:

I hate the first one, but can live with it.  The second isn't terrible, but it is dumb.  The last one is ridiculous and unforgiveable.

I really don't care about any of the new rules.  If that's what it takes to have some sort of season then it's fine with me.  I'm just tired of all the non-stop complaining with absolutely everything right now.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't hold that against them at all.  It's an entertainment industry business.  Money is generated by the business through the entertainment the players provide.   If the business makes $1M, then the players should get a fair negotiated cut.  If they make $5B, that number changes.  I have no problem at all with players and owners negotiating their fair shares.  The one thing I won't tolerate is either side complaining that the other side wants too much money.  Simply, negotiate a deal.  When a deal can't be reached, don't say "wah wah wah, we can't get out $1M" or something like that.  Come out and say, "We think the deal is too one-sided on a few issues and we won't agree until it's more even"... and be done with it.  Don't let the garbage media people bait you into saying something that could hurt you.

There should never be a strike that stops a season.  That was the players fault, solely, and they've never recovered from that.  What they should have done was play the season out and address the issues in the off-season.  They're handling things the right way now.  The season didn't start yet, so try to get what you want.  Just come to an agreement at some point and just play.  Now, if the players don't want to play because of safety/health reasons, then I'm fine with that.  Don't play, say why, and don't make excuses about money.

The situation is evolving into 1 of 2 outcomes:

1.  The players will get a substantial majority of the money and power.
2.  The players will just form their own league.

The key ingredient to starting their own league is a major commitment from corporations to shell out the massive startup capital.  But this may never be a better time to try it because tons of corporations and committing to donate money to BLM and black causes.  Maybe they could tap into that money.

53 minutes ago, riversco said:

The situation is evolving into 1 of 2 outcomes:

1.  The players will get a substantial majority of the money and power.
2.  The players will just form their own league.

The key ingredient to starting their own league is a major commitment from corporations to shell out the massive startup capital.  But this may never be a better time to try it because tons of corporations and committing to donate money to BLM and black causes.  Maybe they could tap into that money.

I don't think either will happen.  Starting next year, things will go back to usual.

8 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Starting next year, things will go back to usual.

From your keyboard to God's ears...

10 minutes ago, posty said:

From your keyboard to God's ears...

:thumbsup:

The thing is, most of the teams own their own buildings.  The league brings in $10B a year in revenue.  MLB has tv contracts through the 2028 season.  Current players have that existing contracts with teams that they can't get out of and go play in another league.  Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, and others who just signed 10+ year contracts are NOT going to bail on MLB and just retire.  Besides, the MLB players already get about 50% of the league revenue anyway.  If there was a mathematical reality of LESS THAN 0%, that's what the possibility of what @riversco is saying, could happen.

1 minute ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

so what I am seeing is that there is no minor leagues, so teams like the Padres will possibly carry guys like Mackenzie Gore and Luis Patino on the ML roster

That's exactly what will happen.  I think the Pirates will do the same thing.  Any team that has no shot to compete is going to have at least half other daily active roster be composed of prospects who need a more development.  Someone made the joke that the Pirates may only lose 50 games this year... and he's right, they literally might be 10-50 because they're going to be sending out 5 major leaguer's, 3 AAA players, and 1 AA player in out there in their everyday lineup.  Their rotation will be made up of 3 Major leaguer's and 2 prospects.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't think either will happen.  Starting next year, things will go back to usual.

Oh there's no going back.  Things have changed.  Forever.  

1 hour ago, riversco said:

Oh there's no going back.  Things have changed.  Forever.  

That's not true at all.  The current CBA is in place through the end of next season.  This past off season, before all this crap was going on, there was already word that the new CBA was almost settled.