Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

Fighter pilot breaks down movie scenes

Thank you for posting this. I watched both videos. 

I got to know a Navy commander, for a short time,  who flew in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. He wasn't into running his mouth, but if I asked him a question, he would tell me about it. I asked him if he ever flew a B-58, he did. He crashed a Brewster Buffalo, during take off in Florida. He also bombed and strafed Tokyo.

I will try to remember more, and post sometime. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

I got to know a Navy commander, for a short time,  who flew in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. He wasn't into running his mouth, but if I asked him a question, he would tell me about it. I asked him if he ever flew a B-58, he did. He crashed a Brewster Buffalo, during take off in Florida. He also bombed and strafed Tokyo.

My uncle flew a the AH-1 Cobra during the Vietnam war and for the army for another 10 years.  Between his religion and later questions about being in that war he never really brings up his time there. One time though, I was at O'hare airport with my grandfather who got called to the desk for a seat question thing.  We have a pretty unique last name and when he came back a soldier came up and asked if we were related to my Uncle.  He then proceeded to tell us that him and his company probably would have all been killed if it weren't for my Uncle saving them. 

Other story I know about him was during the Munich Olympic Hostage thing.  He was in a cobra circling the airport with orders to take the terrorist helicopter down if it got in the air*.  Course everyone died during the firefight, so that was that. 

*Not sure how that worked out---if German govt asked for US assistance, but I'll see him at my brothers wedding in a few months, so I'll get more details on that story.

• Thanks 1

The Black Knights was my squadron. I actually got to meet Will Smith. He came to the unit for a few days to learn how to be a Marine pilot. I recall one of the Marine pilots telling him we call people in the Navy quids in the Ready Room. Will started laughing and said "quids, I like that". That's all I remember other than people on the base blasting my desk phone asking if he was still there.

Being on a carrier is indeed very dangerous. I was deployed for 11 months on one. Lots of crazy stuff like people falling off, jets crashing into it (we had two) and suicides. I hate boats so much now I would not even consider taking a cruise ship vacation. Oh and a carrier can absolutely haul ass. I remember going from UAE to Somalia doing something like 66 knots, maybe more. Insane. That's like 70 mph.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

My uncle flew a the AH-1 Cobra during the Vietnam war

My dad was a senior electrical engineer at the Hurst plant for Bell Helicopter for 33 years. If they got behind at work, he used to bring some electrical drawings home and work on the kitchen table. The scale of the drawings were 1"=1", so the plans were about the size of the actual helicopter. 

He worked on the Huey and the Cobra. Some of the Cobras had a Gatling gun, that pointed when the pilot looked. To fire the gun, the pilot just winked. My dad was part of the creation of that little beauty. His last project was the V-22 Osprey. 

He was also there when they made the whirlybirds. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2020 at 11:23 AM, BiPolarBear said:

I love meeting guys like that.

There was this old black man, everyone called him sarge. He came into my waffle house every single day. He drove landing craft during wwII and Korea. Was in operation torch in north Africa, the anzio landings in Italy, and D day. 

I used to talk to that guy whenever I could.

• Like 1