Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Texas pauses reopening

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/06/25/texas-elective-surgeries-coronavirus-greg-abbott/

Gov. Greg Abbott announced Thursday morning that he will pause any further phases of reopening Texas and that he is once again putting a stop to elective surgeries to preserve bed space for coronavirus patients in certain counties that are seeing a surge of COVID-19 cases.

Abbott's latest action does not reverse any of the reopening phases he's already allowed — meaning that bars, restaurants, malls, bowling alleys and other businesses are still allowed to remain open with some capacity limitations. Restaurants can now operate at 75% capacity and virtually all other businesses, including bars, can operate at 50%.

“The last thing we want to do as a state is go backwards and close down businesses, " he wrote in a Thursday press release, but the "pause will help our state corral the spread."

The latest ban on elective procedures applies to Bexar, Dallas, Harris and Travis counties, which have seen a rapid increase in the number of patients hospitalized with the virus.

Just Tuesday, Abbott stressed that hospital capacity in Texas was “abundant.” A day later, he acknowledged in a TV interview that capacity issues in some parts of the state "may necessitate a localized strategy."

Statewide, the number of hospitalizations has reached record highs for a full two weeks, soaring to 4,739 on Thursday morning and tripling since Memorial Day. On Wednesday, the state had 1,320 available intensive care unit beds and nearly 13,000 available hospital beds, but with regional disparities.

It seems that Texas is worried enough about the spread of covid to not go full bore on opening. It doesn't seem like there is an immediate crisis about to unfold, but if the gov of Texas is worried enough about the impact of covid on hospital space it's probably an issue that could develop into one.

Do you still believe that states should open full bore and this is just the flu? Is the gov of Texas in on the hoax?

9 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

It seems that Texas is worried enough about the spread of covid to not go full bore on opening. It doesn't seem like there is an immediate crisis about to unfold, but if the gov of Texas is worried enough about the impact of covid on hospital space it's probably an issue that could develop into one.

Do you still believe that states should open full bore and this is just the flu? Is the gov of Texas in on the hoax?

Yes states should open completely. 

I'm in Houston. Everything is open. Suppose to wear masks as of MON but nobody is enforcing it. Most people are wearing them though.

As for the full capacity for restaurants, almost none operated at that level before the virus..meh. We eat out a lot and very rarely did we encounter maxed out restaurants barring a few main chain ones.

They keep reporting all these cases but I have yet to meet anyone or know anyone that knows someone who got it. I also work with people all over the country. They tell me the same. Who are all these people because I'm sorry, I do not believe it's some fluke that I know nobody with it and everyone I know, even around the country says the same.

11 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

I'm in Houston. Everything is open. Suppose to wear masks as of MON but nobody is enforcing it. Most people are wearing them though.

As for the full capacity for restaurants, almost none operated at that level before the virus..meh. We eat out a lot and very rarely did we encounter maxed out restaurants barring a few main chain ones.

They keep reporting all these cases but I have yet to meet anyone or know anyone that knows someone who got it. I also work with people all over the country. They tell me the same. Who are all these people because I'm sorry, I do not believe it's some fluke that I know nobody with it and everyone I know, even around the country says the same.

126,000 cases.  29+ million people in the state (more is you count the illegals)

I know 1 person that had it.  They likely contracted it in the hospital and they are over 60, has heart problems, diabetes and is/was a life long smoker.  Recovered and is back home.

11 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

I talked to a guy in France who's best friend got it. But honestly no one I know, not even remotely. That is curious.

28 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Colorado's stats:

https://public.tableau.com/profile/cocdphe.svc#!/vizhome/COVID19_CaseSummary_TP/COVID-19CaseSummary-TP

What about those should make me want to crawl back in to a cave and hibernate?

Red Sox president today on the radio said the Sox needed fans in the stands for the "competitive advantage"  :lol:   Not the money 

5 minutes ago, Strike said:

Colorado's stats:

https://public.tableau.com/profile/cocdphe.svc#!/vizhome/COVID19_CaseSummary_TP/COVID-19CaseSummary-TP

What about those should make me want to crawl back in to a cave and hibernate?

Stop exaggerating. Republicans love to exaggerate. I never said crawl back into a hole. I'm for opening. I am not in agreement that covid is something to be ignored though. I was wondering if a republican governor being cautious would make anyone else rethink their stance. 

Are you saying he is the one who is wrong and the state should not worry about maxing out hospital capacity in any areas? 

From Palm Beach County, reaction to mandated mask wearing. Pretty funny.

First 1:20

Arrested for crimes against humanity!  🤣

I know of 6 people, one 1 died.  Of the 6, 4 were under 40... all lived.  The 50 year old also had emphysema and bronchitis.  It took him 6 weeks, but he's home.  He's... 'ok', but still not back to healthy.  Doctors are optimistic that in time, he'll be fine.  The person who died was 87 years old and got it in a nursing home.

Hospitals are a business. They are indeed making a lot of money right now. Why would any business want to make less money if the Federal Government is more than happy to give it without asking a lot of questions. They are just as corrupt as anybody else getting massive bags of tax dollars. I firmly believe they are milking this fat cow as long as they possibly can. 

7 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Stop exaggerating. Republicans love to exaggerate. I never said crawl back into a hole. I'm for opening. I am not in agreement that covid is something to be ignored though. I was wondering if a republican governor being cautious would make anyone else rethink their stance. 

Are you saying he is the one who is wrong and the state should not worry about maxing out hospital capacity in any areas? 

I was responding to this:

Do you still believe that states should open full bore and this is just the flu

I'm mostly concerned about CO.  I've posted those stats repeatedly over the last few days and you've chosen to ignore them. I'd like your response to my assertion that CO is in pretty good shape and there isn't any reason to not continue down the road we're going, if not opening up more. 

Just now, Strike said:

I was responding to this:

I'm mostly concerned about CO.  I've posted those stats repeatedly over the last few days and you've chosen to ignore them. I'd like your response to my assertion that CO is in pretty good shape and there isn't any reason to not continue down the road we're going, if not opening up more. 

I saw the stats in CO and I agree that cases do not seem like they are on the rise. I am all for a state reopening full bore if they feel covid is under control. Every area is different though. The people I want to respond are the ones who think covid = flu = semi hoax.

I was wondering if a republican governor halting the reopening progress, and even halting elective surgeries in some counties, enough evidence to show covid is more serious than the flu. If they still believe that covid is nothing to be worried about (which is perplexing since they say covid is no big deal but then apluad Trump for his covid response, which if it is no big deal then there was never a need for a response in the first place), then do they think the Texas governor is wrong to believe covid is serious enough to alter the state opening.

3 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I saw the stats in CO and I agree that cases do not seem like they are on the rise. I am all for a state reopening full bore if they feel covid is under control. Every area is different though. The people I want to respond are the ones who think covid = flu = semi hoax.

I was wondering if a republican governor halting the reopening progress, and even halting elective surgeries in some counties, enough evidence to show covid is more serious than the flu. If they still believe that covid is nothing to be worried about (which is perplexing since they say covid is no big deal but then apluad Trump for his covid response, which if it is no big deal then there was never a need for a response in the first place), then do they think the Texas governor is wrong to believe covid is serious enough to alter the state opening.

I think it is the correct move to see how this plays out.  He hasn't gone back to a shut down.  There has been a spike in cases but the number of deaths is still down from May.  See what happens with the number of deaths and hospitalizations and then make a decision from there.  This is worse than a normal flu but I don't think it is the 2nd coming of the Spanish Flu. 

6 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Covid is absolutely NOT a more serious illness than the flu.  I think we ALL know that now.  The only reason we are as concerned about it is that there isn't a vaccine.  If there wasn't a flu vaccine you'd see as many or more ill people from the flu as from Covid.    From an article on this "pause" in Texas:

Texas Medical Center in Houston said Tuesday that 97% of its ICU beds were occupied and that 27% of those patients were people who had tested positive for the coronavirus. It said its normal ICU occupancy is 70% to 80%.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/25/883311877/texas-governor-hits-pause-on-further-reopening-amid-covid-19-surge

So we only saw a 15-20% increase in ICU utilization if this hospital is any indication. 

I have no issue with what this Governor did.  He's balancing safety vs. other interests.  It's worth noting that he's not going backwards.  Just "pausing" going forward. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Strike said:

Covid is absolutely NOT a more serious illness than the flu.  I think we ALL know that now.  The only reason we are as concerned about it is that there isn't a vaccine.  If there wasn't a flu vaccine you'd see as many or more ill people from the flu as from Covid.    From an article on this "pause" in Texas:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/25/883311877/texas-governor-hits-pause-on-further-reopening-amid-covid-19-surge

So we only saw a 15-20% increase in ICU utilization if this hospital is any indication. 

I have no issue with what this Governor did.  He's balancing safety vs. other interests.  It's worth noting that he's not going backwards.  Just "pausing" going forward. 

Fair enough that it's not as dangerous as the flu if both are vaccinated/unvaccinated. It is as of now more dangerous because of the lack of vaccine.

It looks like Florida is closing the bars down again. We are spiking big time. No surprise with them opening up the beaches. They say it's more young people this time around that are testing positive. 

4 minutes ago, The Elevator Killer said:

It looks like Florida is closing the bars down again. We are spiking big time. No surprise with them opening up the beaches. They say it's more young people this time around that are testing positive. 

Texas is also reimposing some restrictions:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/abbott-restricting-texas-restaurants-bars-in-new-effort-to-contain-covid-19-spike/2396197/