Sign in to follow this  
cyclone24

This damn dog...

So I have posted about this before but our dog who is a little over 5 has cost us thousands upon thousands and surgery because he eats pacifiers. So we were clear of that but now we think he is eaten a corn on the cob piece that a kid dropped at a party we were at. I'm struggling because it's not his fault but at what point do you say that just too much? It's not that we don't have the money but it's almost more of its apparently never going to stop. Hes just always going to find things like this to eat.

One of my dogs are a corn cob once. Ended up shitting it with no harm. Unless your dog has digestive issues, I would imagine you’re good. 

We had a guy in high school that would do that. He'd eat anything he picked up off the ground. Dig through garbage cans and eat sh!t. Pull gum off the bottom of desks and eat that. We were all told not to encourage him. He was retarded.

Your dog isn't retarded he just hasn't learned to not eat everything he sees/smells. You could take the time to teach him or you could put a muzzle on him. 

5 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

We had a guy in high school that would do that. He'd eat anything he picked up off the ground. Dig through garbage cans and eat sh!t. Pull gum off the bottom of desks and eat that. We were all told not to encourage him. He was retarded.

Your dog isn't retarded he just hasn't learned to not eat everything he sees/smells. You could take the time to teach him or you could put a muzzle on him. 

How do you teach a dog to only eat dog food? 

Yeah not sure what to do....smh

I don't know.  Has your dog ever eaten gum off of the bottom of a desk?  Maybe he is retarded.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

So I have posted about this before but our dog who is a little over 5 has cost us thousands upon thousands and surgery because he eats pacifiers. So we were clear of that but now we think he is eaten a corn on the cob piece that a kid dropped at a party we were at. I'm struggling because it's not his fault but at what point do you say that just too much? It's not that we don't have the money but it's almost more of its apparently never going to stop. Hes just always going to find things like this to eat.

Also- at what point do you say is enough?  I focking hate people for the most part, but I love dogs. Someone once asked me if I had the option to save my dogs life or a random persons life, what would I do. I looked that sonofabitch in the eye and said I would save a random dogs life over another persons life so you’re goddamnn right I’m saving my dog. Just took one of my hounds in for surgery 10 days ago for an abcessed tooth. Cost me $2000, but I don’t care, I love him. 

9 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

How do you keep your kids from putting things in their mouths that they aren't supposed to? 

The same goes for dogs. 

1 minute ago, 5-Points said:

How do you keep your kids from putting things in their mouths that they aren't supposed to? 

The same goes for dogs. 

Yeah. Not sure about all that..he grabs shiit and runs off. 

8 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

If you drop it and it smells or tastes good, it’s getting eaten. Similar to to liberal guys and pemus 

12 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Yeah. Not sure about all that..he grabs shiit and runs off. 

Then you have 3 choices.

Kennel him when you can't supervise him or haven't picked everything up.

Or muzzle him when you can't supervise him or haven't picked everything up. 

Or pick everything up. 

:dunno:

33 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

Then you have 3 choices.

Kennel him when you can't supervise him or haven't picked everything up.

Or muzzle him when you can't supervise him or haven't picked everything up. 

Or pick everything up. 

:dunno:

That's the thing. There's toys all over the place and he doesn't touch them. It's all food. Kind of hard to keep toddlers and kids from dropping food 100% of the time.

A girl I was dating and I had gotten a dog once. She was dead set on getting a shelter dog. I hated the idea. But I caved. Nice dog, but dumb as shlt. We found out after getting it that it would throw up if put in a moving car for more than two blocks of driving. We couldn't leave the dog free to roam in our place when we weren't there because he would attack and eat anything he could get off the counters. Big dog. Once, we came home having left a full loaf of bread on a kitchen counter, to find every bit of the plastic torn to shreads all over the kitchen and the whole loaf was eaten. We tried using a cage while we were out and got complaints about his incessant barking. We tried locking him in the bathroom while we were out and he tore the crap out of the carpet under the door trying to get out. We had no solutions. He was a dumb, lovable dog that we couldn't keep.

Until we found out that our neighbors bought farmland and were moving to a house there. They loved the dog and we offered it to them and they gladly accepted cause the dog was a really friendly dog and was pretty cool. That was the best solution in the end. If they weren't there, I'm not sure how we would have handled it.  

Living with animals is stupid. I guess a fish tank is ok but that’s about it. 

14 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Have to agree. I don't get pets. My gf has a cat, and even though the cat is a really good cat, it still uses a liter box that smells and her food bowl area gets disgusting. I hate animal scent in the house. Cat hair everywhere. After her no more pets. I also don't ever want to have to miss something because I need to let a dog out to pee

34 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

A girl I was dating and I had gotten a dog once. She was dead set on getting a shelter dog. I hated the idea. But I caved. Nice dog, but dumb as shlt. We found out after getting it that it would throw up if put in a moving car for more than two blocks of driving. We couldn't leave the dog free to roam in our place when we weren't there because he would attack and eat anything he could get off the counters. Big dog. Once, we came home having left a full loaf of bread on a kitchen counter, to find every bit of the plastic torn to shreads all over the kitchen and the whole loaf was eaten. We tried using a cage while we were out and got complaints about his incessant barking. We tried locking him in the bathroom while we were out and he tore the crap out of the carpet under the door trying to get out. We had no solutions. He was a dumb, lovable dog that we couldn't keep.

Until we found out that our neighbors bought farmland and were moving to a house there. They loved the dog and we offered it to them and they gladly accepted cause the dog was a really friendly dog and was pretty cool. That was the best solution in the end. If they weren't there, I'm not sure how we would have handled it.  

Our current dog was a royal PITA when we first got her. She was a 6 month-old shelter dog and she did all of this stuff. Ate loafs of bread from the counter. She took one of my kid’s entire Halloween candy bag into her crate and proceeded to eat all of it wrappers and all, then threw it up and repeated the process multiple times. She shat and peed everywhere.

It sucked because our prior dog (also a shelter) was almost perfect. He was so well behaved and people loved taking him for the week if we went away.

However, we stuck with it. Fast forward 10 years and she is a really good dog. After she turned about 1.5 years old, she calmed down and things clicked for her. 

1 hour ago, BiffTannen said:

Just took one of my hounds in for surgery 10 days ago for an abcessed tooth. Cost me $2000, but I don’t care, I love him. 

Took one of mine in to have it's eye removed a few months ago.  $2100 :cry:

1 hour ago, cyclone24 said:

That's the thing. There's toys all over the place and he doesn't touch them. It's all food. Kind of hard to keep toddlers and kids from dropping food 100% of the time.

What's the problem? He's keepin the ants and roaches away. 

13 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

I would do the same. Love my hounds. 

53 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Animals > People

Fact!

Just now, 5-Points said:

Animals > People

Fact!

Barn/Doghouse>Smelly, Hairy house. 
Fact! 

37 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

Child's play...we're north of $10k.

1 minute ago, cyclone24 said:

Child's play...we're north of $10k.

You really like that dog 

1 hour ago, shorepatrol said:

You really like that dog 

My wife and kids do. I dont have that deep family connection to pets. 

Just now, cyclone24 said:

My wife and kids do. I dont have that deep family connection to pets. 

I get it. The dog I dumped money into is my wife and daughters favorite. (Fat black chihuahua that's been with us for 8 years now)  I have 5 dogs. Lab, Husky, Pitt and 2 chihuahuas. :D

3 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Our current dog was a royal PITA when we first got her. She was a 6 month-old shelter dog and she did all of this stuff. Ate loafs of bread from the counter. She took one of my kid’s entire Halloween candy bag into her crate and proceeded to eat all of it wrappers and all, then threw it up and repeated the process multiple times. She shat and peed everywhere.

It sucked because our prior dog (also a shelter) was almost perfect. He was so well behaved and people loved taking him for the week if we went away.

However, we stuck with it. Fast forward 10 years and she is a really good dog. After she turned about 1.5 years old, she calmed down and things clicked for her. 

That's a good story. Our dog at the time we got him was at about 3 years old. A big dog. Great disposition, but we realized over about a year's time he needed to have an outdoor lifestyle about 10 hours a day at least. We couldn't provide that and were lucky to find the right home for him. 

I knew a woman who had a cat. She loved talking about the details of her cat. She was convinced she couldn't live without it. The cat kept getting sick as it was about 14 years old with severe arthritis, etc. She would tell me that her husband wanted to put the cat down because of all the problems and surgeries it kept going through. As well as the expenses. The lady told me, "screw that, I am willing to spend my life savings to keep her alive for as long as possible". The lady made a 6 figure salary and her husband was well off too, but, this woman was so attached to the old cat, that she ended up spending about 30k before the vet finally told to there is nothing else they can do and she has to let the cat go because it lives in pain. 

Dang. Some people should not have pets. 

Same goes for some human kids that can't deal with letting a parent go when the time comes.