Sign in to follow this  
FlyinHeadlock

Stupid Fantasy Moves I Did Last Year

Right out the gate at the auction, drank a couple of Maker Marks. Drank a few more before it was over with. I did have several good keepers but other than that no. I left $60 out of $200 on the table. I also drafted some of the dumbest players. Devine Ozigbo and Justice Hill were a couple of my "superstars".

ESPN had my draft rated as dead last and really could not argue with it. I earned it. The team looked like a loaded diaper. To top that off I decided to use my #1 waiver order on a defense. Yes. I totally did this in week two.

That one move however is where the story changed. That D was the Pats. From there, I got Kenyan Drake and Parker for nothing and sat on them. I also got Scary Terry and Hunt off drops. Ended up making the playoffs and blowing up the two front runners and winning it. 

It was the dumbest team ever constructed in that league. No way in hell that happens again. I get the sense they probably would not feel bad if I dropped dead of covid 19 at this point. Can't blame them for that because I got extremely lucky. 

I never drink a sip during my draft. Everyone mocks me every year.  You’d think after 20 years, my 8 SB appearances and 4 championships they’d put 2 and 2 together...  I never say a word and let them drink.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RedzoneMonster said:

I never drink a sip during my draft. Everyone mocks me every year.  You’d think after 20 years, my 8 SB appearances and 4 championships they’d put 2 and 2 together...  I never say a word and let them drink.  

You are correct but this one time I got one over on master players like yourself. I broke almost every cardinal rule of fantasy football. Name one and I assure you, I totally broke it. Drinking hard liquor during the draft. Check. Using a #1 waiver in week 2 on a defense. Check. Thinking Kenyan Drake could bail me out in if he only got traded. Check. Nevermind I left $60 on the table in auction. I could have easily bought Michael Thomas. Nope. Just left it. It had to be one of the dumbest league winners. The team was retarded.  

1 hour ago, RedzoneMonster said:

I made that mistake my very first fantasy football draft, drafted a defense in the 3rd round. I made it to the championship game but probably would have won if I didn't waste that pick. I haven't drank at the draft since

In a dynasty league, I traded the farm for Juju Smith Schuster, well, not the farm but I traded Marlon Mack and Tyler Boyd for him. It could still workout since it's a dynasty league but it was bad last season. I traded Goff for Cooper Kupp though so it evened out.

Luckily I didn't have a case of the stupid last year. Thank god, because I'm still paying for years gone past.

2 years ago I traded Kelce for Gronk and 1.12 in a dynasty. :unsure: Not one of my finest moments.

• Sad 1

Waiting to round 3 to draft a RB thinking the A Jones would be a steal and produce true RB1 numbers all season long.

What was I thinking???LOL

On 6/26/2020 at 7:01 PM, RedzoneMonster said:

I'd never suggest this.    part of the fun of the draft is having a beer or two with your friends.

That being said,

if it is a serpentine draft, you can hold off on the heavy drinking until  after round 5 or 6.   at that point if you make a dumb pick, you wont be the only one and it wont ruin your team.

if it is an auction, you need to be more alert start to finish.

but that's no big deal either.  have a beer or two.  just dont go overboard  until most of your team is put together.

if you are drunk before the draft or auction begins, thats a recipe for disaster more often than not.    but if you make a good list and stick to it, you can overcome a lot of the potential losses due to the drink.   This requires a lot of research and preparation ahead of time, but it  can be done.

for me, its mostly about minimizing the damage the  booze will do to your draft result.   if you  are prepared to take the necessary steps. its not that hard.

like I said... if you are sober at the start of the draft, and  pace yourself to a reasonable level most of your  draft should be reasonable.  if you blow a couple  picks in the last 2  or 3 rounds its not a draft killer.

all things in moderation.

have a beer or two if you enjoy it.   dont completely abstain.  You do wanna have some fun

• Thanks 1

I did do a lot of research beforehand. I was a little tipsy but I knew what I was doing. If you come to the table prepared agree, not much you can screw up. You won't be over paying for players or making horrible moves. Like drafting Hunt knowing good and well it was going to be damn near impossible to hold him for 10 games with injuries and byes. I was planning before the draft to pick up Hunt when he was dropped which I did. Didn't even have to use a waiver on him. People just forgot about him.    

20 hours ago, Ray_T said:

I'd never suggest this.    part of the fun of the draft is having a beer or two with your friends.

That being said,

if it is a serpentine draft, you can hold off on the heavy drinking until  after round 5 or 6.   at that point if you make a dumb pick, you wont be the only one and it wont ruin your team.

if it is an auction, you need to be more alert start to finish.

but that's no big deal either.  have a beer or two.  just dont go overboard  until most of your team is put together.

if you are drunk before the draft or auction begins, thats a recipe for disaster more often than not.    but if you make a good list and stick to it, you can overcome a lot of the potential losses due to the drink.   This requires a lot of research and preparation ahead of time, but it  can be done.

for me, its mostly about minimizing the damage the  booze will do to your draft result.   if you  are prepared to take the necessary steps. its not that hard.

like I said... if you are sober at the start of the draft, and  pace yourself to a reasonable level most of your  draft should be reasonable.  if you blow a couple  picks in the last 2  or 3 rounds its not a draft killer.

all things in moderation.

have a beer or two if you enjoy it.   dont completely abstain.  You do wanna have some fun

We usually stick around and play cards after the draft. I usually get pretty sh&tty during that. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, RedzoneMonster said:

We usually stick around and play cards after the draft. I usually get pretty sh&tty during that. 

I never thought I would say this, but I think I'm going to miss poker more than football.  Lotta friends I haven't seen since March.

On 6/26/2020 at 9:01 PM, RedzoneMonster said:

I have been in the championship game 6 of the last 7 years in my 12 team auction league. I drink liberally during the draft and love it. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I assume you do much research beforehand. In some ways it can help if one puts in the work weeks before. I like to get into ruse bidding wars with a glass of whiskey in hand. I don't even want the player. I know how much they are worth in the first couple of rounds. I never get the player but what happens is the person who does ends up over paying and knocks themselves out of the later rounds where the real value is located.

Traded Kelce for Gurley and Delanie Walker during preseason. Delanie started hot and Gurley ended with 14tds so I guess eff me right? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Gurley could have had a lot more, they held him back needlessly, he was fine.

On 6/27/2020 at 8:25 PM, Ironmen said:

Waiting to round 3 to draft a RB thinking the A Jones would be a steal and produce true RB1 numbers all season long.

What was I thinking???LOL

19 TDs isn't bad - where did he disappoint?

On 8/12/2020 at 3:18 PM, Matt Mueller said:

My in person draft always goes for a blunt break around round 10

Thats when the magic swoop and steals happen 

🤣🤣

On 8/12/2020 at 2:18 PM, Matt Mueller said:

My in person draft always goes for a blunt break around round 10

Thats when the magic swoop and steals happen 

If you're waiting until Round 10, you're doing it wrong.