Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Gaming PC build for the next several years.

So... my computer I built like 6 years ago is about ready to sh!t the bed.  Not terrible... but not running sh!t smoothly anymore....  new games... meh.

With the upcoming release of Cyberpunk 2077 I've been thinking about a new build.  That being said... I looked at this article on what they recommend and what will last me the next several years.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/cyberpunk-2077-system-requirements

So... I went to PC Parts Picker.... frickin ayes boys... if I was to build that myself it's still coming up to about $1760.78 even AFTER rebates and sh!z....

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9zwJ4n

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($409.99 @ Best Buy) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($149.99 @ Best Buy) 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($62.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S5 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($124.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card  ($669.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GOLD 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($152.84 @ Amazon) 

Total: $1760.78

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-26 22:43 EDT-0400

So that being said.... I went to Dell and just did the latest Alienware customization.... and it as they have a -10% coupon out right now... 

Processor:  10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-10700 (8-Core, 16MB Cache,up to 4.8GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
Operating System:  Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, English
Video Card:  NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)
Color Choice:  Dark Side of the Moon
Memory:  16GB HyperX™ FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz; up to 64GB (additional memory sold separately)
Hard Drive:  1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
Chassis Options:  Dark Side of the Moon chassis with High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling with and 1000W Power Supply
Wireless Killer™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) 802.11ax Wireless and Bluetooth 5.1
Keyboard:  Multi-Media Keyboard
Mouse:  Optical Mouse MS116AW
Base:  Alienware Aurora R11

Applied Coupon: SAVE10

(- $210.00) Details | Remove

$219.99 Total Savings

Subtotal (1 Item) $1,889.99

So essentially it's on ly $130 cheaper to build this thing from parts than it is to buy from Dell right now with what a year warranty and a new copy of Windows 10?

I know it's a sh!ton of money but meh... I'll use financing and pay it off in the next year.   I think I have to go BUY all the way... 

Yea, you should be set up real nice with what you are wanting.

Definitely go with the PCIe drive.  I changed from a regular SSD to a PCIe drive and I had a noticeable difference.

If you are buying a new windows copy, get pro, not home.  I sometimes RDP from my tablet into my pc to play games from the couch.  It's not for playing graphic intensive games, but still a nice thing.  You can't RDP with Windows Home.

1 minute ago, Drizzay said:

Yea, you should be set up real nice with what you are wanting.

Definitely go with the PCIe drive.  I changed from a regular SSD to a PCIe drive and I had a noticeable difference.

If you are buying a new windows copy, get pro, not home.  I sometimes RDP from my tablet into my pc to play games from the couch.  It's not for playing graphic intensive games, but still a nice thing.  You can't RDP with Windows Home.

So you think it's just smarter to buy then instead of build bro?

No I would build.  If you have done it before, then you know how much fun it is.  If you have never built your own, it is a blast!  if you are mechanically inclined.

4 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

No I would build.  If you have done it before, then you know how much fun it is.  If you have never built your own, it is a blast!  if you are mechanically inclined.

I built the one I'm typing on... it's not hard... just.. for only -$130 difference between build and buy price... I'm leaning towards buy price with the warranty etc...

I have built many computers including 8088s, 286 with math coprocessors, 486s, Pentiums, dual proc Celerons, etc. I am probably going to buy my computers from now on. It is easier than ever to build a computer, but the cost savings is gone.

I bought a high end gaming PC last year and it is still going strong, I hope to get 5-6 years out of it.

• Like 1

If you are going to buy pre-built, Alienware is definitely a great choice.

Like you said, you get a warranty, in case that GPU or CPU craps out 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I have built many computers including 8088s, 286 with math coprocessors, 486s, Pentiums, dual proc Celerons, etc. I am probably going to buy my computers from now on. It is easier than ever to build a computer, but the cost savings is gone.

I bought a high end gaming PC last year and it is still going strong, I hope to get 5-6 years out of it.

What did you end up paying total J?

6 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

What did you end up paying total J?

Around 1.7-2k or so, I do not remember the exact cost. it is a pretty nice PC like what you are looking at getting, for example I have the Nvidia RTX 2070 because the 2080 was not out yet.

• Like 1

Just now, MTSkiBum said:

Around 1.7-2k or so, I do not remember the exact cost. it is a pretty nice PC like what you are looking at getting, for example I have the Nvidia RTX 2070 because the 2080 was not out yet.

Yeah with what you got and this type of rig.. dude we're looking at 5-7 years at least... so.. really... $300 a year?  Meh...

8 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

So... my computer I built like 6 years ago is about ready to sh!t the bed.  Not terrible... but not running sh!t smoothly anymore....  new games... meh.

With the upcoming release of Cyberpunk 2077 I've been thinking about a new build.  That being said... I looked at this article on what they recommend and what will last me the next several years.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/cyberpunk-2077-system-requirements

So... I went to PC Parts Picker.... frickin ayes boys... if I was to build that myself it's still coming up to about $1760.78 even AFTER rebates and sh!z....

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9zwJ4n

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($409.99 @ Best Buy) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($149.99 @ Best Buy) 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($62.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S5 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($124.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card  ($669.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GOLD 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($152.84 @ Amazon) 

Total: $1760.78

Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-26 22:43 EDT-0400

So that being said.... I went to Dell and just did the latest Alienware customization.... and it as they have a -10% coupon out right now... 

Processor:  10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-10700 (8-Core, 16MB Cache,up to 4.8GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
Operating System:  Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, English
Video Card:  NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)
Color Choice:  Dark Side of the Moon
Memory:  16GB HyperX™ FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz; up to 64GB (additional memory sold separately)
Hard Drive:  1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
Chassis Options:  Dark Side of the Moon chassis with High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling with and 1000W Power Supply
Wireless Killer™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) 802.11ax Wireless and Bluetooth 5.1
Keyboard:  Multi-Media Keyboard
Mouse:  Optical Mouse MS116AW
Base:  Alienware Aurora R11

Applied Coupon: SAVE10

(- $210.00) Details | Remove

$219.99 Total Savings

Subtotal (1 Item) $1,889.99

So essentially it's on ly $130 cheaper to build this thing from parts than it is to buy from Dell right now with what a year warranty and a new copy of Windows 10?

I know it's a sh!ton of money but meh... I'll use financing and pay it off in the next year.   I think I have to go BUY all the way... 

https://www.ibuypower.com/gaming-pcs/intel-desktops

Um...i would save  cash and get a 250 or 500 ssd and just use to boot windows.  Keep it fast.  Then get a 2 or 3 tb hard drive to store games and pron.  

You can still upgrade to windows 10 for free...I just did it 3 months ago.  Seamless upgrade and was able to make a boot cd.

8 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

As an IT guy - buy. For that delta in price, it is not worth the risk of compatibility across parts. Take the warranty.

You just dropped a delta.   

PS5

I'm still running on an Asus Sabertooth 990FX with a Phenom II Black processor OC'ed to 3.9, 16 GB of RAM and a newly installed GeForce 1660.

I built it so long ago, I don't remember which year it was, but it runs Far Cry 5 and GTA V just fine for me.

I am running a amd fx six core....its ancient..but to be honest I play ps4 most of the time.

If you want a cheaper high performance gaming PC you should be on Ryzen not Intel. 

On 6/26/2020 at 10:59 PM, Drizzay said:

From what I read, the difference between them is negligible at best and not worth the extra cost.?.

• Like 1

Alrighty... I ended up deciding to build... not quite at kick ass as that last build, but something mid range that should still last me 3-4 years.

PCPartPicker Part List: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler ($199.99 @Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Steel Legend ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($179.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($81.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Video Card  ($369.99 @ B&H) 
Case: *Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($149.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $1201.02
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-28 22:47 EDT-0400

I'm feeling pretty good about it.  We'll see how she goes.

• Like 1

Nightmare of warranties...I would buy a built one ..Rma's out the wazoo if you get a bad part.

3 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Nightmare of warranties...I would buy a built one ..Rma's out the wazoo if you get a bad part.

I had a bad video card a couple years ago.. motherfocker what a bunch of bullsh!t I had to go through.. and I finally said FOCK OFF and bought a different one...

18 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Alrighty... I ended up deciding to build... not quite at kick ass as that last build, but something mid range that should still last me 3-4 years.

PCPartPicker Part List: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler ($199.99 @Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($81.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($149.99 @ Best Buy) 

I highly recommend not using an ASRock MB. MSI 450 Tomahawk Max is what you want.  You also don't need a 850W PSU. Get a 650W or 750W Gold Corsair F/M, take the $40 you save from that and upgrade the 2060 to the 2070S. That'll be close to the same price and you'll get about a 5-10% FPS boost.

Over the past 10+ years, I've built 3 computers for myself. The latest was about 6+ months ago.  One thing that became a huge priority to me was noise.  My last build looked good, but when it was turned on it was annoyingly loud. It was loud when it was just turned out, but especially when gaming.  Drove me nuts, particularly at night when the house was quiet and all I could hear was those damn fans. I turned down the fan rpm's, but that didn't help. Even unplugged some front fans.  So for my next build I spent a lot of time carefully selecting the case. 

After much research I settled on this.   https://www.newegg.com/black-be-quiet-pure-base-atx-mid-tower/p/2AM-0037-00067

I absolutely love it. The case has noise canceling foam throughout and it works a charm. You can barely hear it all, even while gaming. The sound difference between my old computer and the new one is NIGHT AND DAY. I can't recommend it enough.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

I highly recommend not using an ASRock MB. MSI 450 Tomahawk Max is what you want.  You also don't need a 850W PSU. Get a 650W or 750W Gold Corsair F/M, take the $40 you save from that and upgrade the 2060 to the 2070S. That'll be close to the same price and you'll get about a 5-10% FPS boost.

From what I'm reading the 450 MB is pretty much done being forward-compatible... hence the 550... I've read a ton about how great the Tomahawk is.. and I from what I've read it's definitely a workhorse, but going forward it's about done.  Also it doesn't have a USB-C cable compat that I want and also goes with my case.  That's why I'm also overbuilding with the power supply for furture additions.  I have like a 256 SSD, a 500 SSD, and a 1TB HDD that I'm adding from my old computer.

Also bro... for what I'm playing.. the 2060 seems like it will work for awhile... the 2070S isn't $40 difference man... try $130 difference.

All good suggestions... just doing some reading.

6 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

From what I'm reading the 450 MB is pretty much done being forward-compatible... hence the 550... I've read a ton about how great the Tomahawk is.. and I from what I've read it's definitely a workhorse, but going forward it's about done.  Also it doesn't have a USB-C cable compat that I want and also goes with my case.  That's why I'm also overbuilding with the power supply for furture additions.  I have like a 256 SSD, a 500 SSD, and a 1TB HDD that I'm adding from my old computer.

Also bro... for what I'm playing.. the 2060 seems like it will work for awhile... the 2070S isn't $40 difference man... try $130 difference.

The $130 difference item would be a $90 difference with the $40 savings on the 2070 versus the 2060.

I wanted that 2070S too.  I plan on getting a 2K monitor 144 hz in the future so I needed a card that could run it.  But good lord the prices. Finally settles on the 5700 XT..... $360.  How the hell do graphic cards cost so damn much? Bitcoin mining is dead.?.

I swore to myself I'd never spend more than $250 on a card years ago, but here we are.  Bastards.

16 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Why not get the X570? 

Either way you don't need a 850W PSU and you can put that money towards a better GPU. I have a 450 Tomahawk Max, 2070S, 3600, 32GB of RAM, 3 monitors, peripherals + I overclock my RAM, CPU, GPU and I don't even come close to using 550W of power. 

Try that i buy power.com...you can pick every part and do what you want 

On 6/28/2020 at 10:50 PM, mmmmm...beer said:

PCPartPicker Part List: 

https://www.ibuypower.com/gaming-pcs/amd-desktops

2 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Ya.. just cancelled all my stuff... at those peices I will have Ibuypower build for me.

I have had mine for 5 years...still runs awesome!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Ya.. just cancelled all my stuff... at those peices I will have Ibuypower build for me.

Also..keep your old keyboard and mouse...if you have customized gaming ones...their basic ones they ship are functional..but I use my old stuff.

Went with CyberPowerPC

CAS: CyberPowerPC FURION Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ front/Top & Both Side Tempered Glass + 6X Dual Light Loop 120mm RGB Fans & Controller [+37]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6GHz [4.4GHz Turbo] 8 Cores/ 16 Threads 36MB Cache 65W Processor
CS_FAN: Default case fans

FAN: CyberPowerPC DEEPCOOL Castle 120EX ARGB 120mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

FREEBIE_SSD: 480GB WD Green SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD

HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) Seagate SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 256MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-25] (Single Drive)

KEYBOARD: CyberPowerPC Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard

MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG Z1)

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS PRIME X570-P ATX w/ RGB, Realtek LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe

MOUSE: CyberPowerPC Standard 4000 DPI with Weight System Optical Gaming Mouse

NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Thermaltake SMART series 600Watts 80 Plus Gold high-efficient Power Supply [+1]

SERVICE: 3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

VIDEO: AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0
WARRANTY: STANDARD WARRANTY: 1 Year Parts WARRANTY
PRICE: (+1402)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
        Coupon: FOURTH (5% Instant Off for Order Over $999)    $-70.10
                                                   SUBTOTAL  $1,331.90

The year warranty... the free service... the windows and drivers install of everything...  just happy with me not having the chance to F anything up. 😄