Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

report: violence by the far right is the greatest threat to the US

https://www.yahoo.com/news/violence-far-among-us-most-090006442.html

Violence by far-right is among US’s most dangerous terrorist threats, study finds
Jason Wilson
The Guardian June 27, 2020, 2:00 AM PDT

Violence by far-right groups and individuals has emerged as one of the most dangerous terrorist threats faced by US law enforcement and triggered a wave of warnings and arrests of people associated with those extremist movements.

The most recent in-depth analysis of far-right terrorism comes from the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS).

Related: How the US military has failed to address white supremacy in its ranks

In a report released last week, the Escalating Terrorism Problem in the United States, CSIS analyzes 25 years of domestic terrorism incidents and finds that the majority of attacks and plots have come from the far right.

The report says “the majority of all terrorist incidents in the United States since 1994, and the total number of rightwing attacks and plots has grown significantly during the past six years”, with the far right launching two-thirds of attacks and plots in 2019, and 90% of those in 2020.

The report adds: “Far-right terrorism has significantly outpaced terrorism from other types of perpetrators.” The second most significant source of attacks and plots in the US has been “religious extremists”, almost all “Salafi jihadists inspired by the Islamic State and al-Qaida”.

The report shows the far left has been an increasingly negligible source of attacks since the mid 2000s. At that time the FBI defined arsons and other forms of property damage as domestic terrorism during a period some have called the “Green Scare”.

The CSIS study came during a new wave of terror attacks and plots from white supremacist and anti-government extremists.

Last Monday, the Department of Justice announced that it had brought an array of charges, including terrorism related offenses, against a US army soldier who subscribed to a mix of white supremacist and satanist beliefs which are characteristic of so-called “accelerationist” neo-nazis like Atomwaffen Division.

Last week, federal charges were brought on Steven Carillo for the murder of a federal security officer and a sheriff’s deputy. Like the three men arrested for an alleged terror plot in Nevada earlier this month, the FBI says Carillo identified with the extreme anti-government “boogaloo” movement, which is principally concerned with removing government regulation of firearms.

But critics question the timing and motivations of the intelligence community’s pivot to combatting rightwing extremism as it comes at a time when some are arguing the legal and institutional counterterrorism apparatus developed to combat overseas terror groups should now be adapted to domestic extremists.

For some that has deep implications for civil liberties and constitutional rights, especially when it comes to suggestions that new laws should be drafted to certify such groups as domestic terrorist organizations.

Eric Ward, executive director of the civil rights nonprofit the Western States Center, said: “We are deeply concerned by the idea of any type of law that creates a legal definition around domestic terrorism. There are significant laws already on the books that meet the challenges of this moment.”

Ward said that rather than new laws, “we need a responsible leadership that is actually willing to use the tools that are already on hand”.

Ward added: “Too often we have to respond to political crisis with criminalization. And I think that is a mistake”.

But the push for new laws is an ongoing one.

In April, a joint report from George Washington University’s Program on extremism (GWU PoE) and the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) included a proposal for a “rights protecting domestic terrorism statute”. They said the law could provide “more tools for the investigation and prosecution of groups and individuals” associated with rightwing extremism.

The report did acknowledge “significant constitutional questions” would be raised by such a statute, and the possibility of “unintended consequences, particularly for members of minorities”.

There are also concerns around the creation of a surveillance state.

The GWU/ADL proposal called for increased information sharing between law enforcement agencies, increased data collection and increased resourcing.

Similar arguments have been made by influential legal and national security academics, national security nonprofits and policy shops.

Congressman Max Rose, a New York Democrat, has gone further in calling for the formal designation of US-based groups with international connections as Foreign Terror Organizations.

The FBI, meanwhile, is increasingly prepared to make comparisons between right wing extremists and Islamist terror groups.

Seth Jones, the lead author of the CSIS report, offered qualified support for the formal designation of terror groups, saying: “I still think it’s important to think through the first amendment implications and other pros and cons. But I do support taking a serious look at designation.”

Designation could open the way, he said, to also investigating people who support such groups without having formal membership in any.

But critics are alarmed by what they see as the application of ideas derived from the “war on terror” to domestic extremists.

Mike German, Brennan Center fellow, is a former FBI agent who investigated rightwing extremists but is now focused on law enforcement and intelligence oversight and reform. He sees arguments for domestic terror statutes as part of a broader reorientation of the “national security establishment” away from conflicts in the Middle East.

German attributes this move to a realization “that Isis and al-Qaida were were not as threatening to Americans as they had been, and that foreign counter-terrorism in general was sort of running out of steam”.

German said: “It’s a way of expanding the target realm that gives the counterterrorism enterprise targets that they can use to to get statistical accomplishments, rather than looking at whether or not the violence itself is reduced.”

German has argued federal authorities should prioritize the investigation of the violent crimes of far right extremists, and call them terrorist acts where appropriate, but that they should be prosecuted using existing laws, with a consideration of alternative responses like restorative justice.

It certainly would be if they decided to go that route. 

I don’t even care anymore if they do. 

Could you imagine writing that article with a straight face, these people are focking shameless. It's like those focking idiots claiming protests haven't contributed to rising covid cases. These people are pure human filth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

90% in 2020. Yeah sure, okay...

That's a straight up lie.

Now do it per capita.

Either way this "study" is BS 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Reality said:

Could you imagine writing that article with a straight face, these people are focking shameless. It's like those focking idiots claiming protests haven't contributed to rising covid cases. These people are pure human filth.

And the "educated" will parrot these "findings" in more papers and more studies.

1 hour ago, iam90sbaby said:

The right needs their own version of Antifa.

Yeah, but how would we organize and communicate to the masses?  You think for a second Reddit and Facebook would allow this?  

17 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Yeah but how would we organize and communicate to the masses?  You think for a second Reddit and Facebook would allow this?  

A lot of groups like the OathKeepers/Three Percenters communicate via encrypted email/messenger apps and their numbers are growing daily. There's so much new altright content flooding FB, Twitter, Reddit they can't even keep up with all of it anymore, we've definitely pulled the rope more towards our side than it was a few years ago.

I don't think the issue is how we communicate but how we motivate people to do something. Right now there is still a lot more for our side to lose by acting, it's safer to just continue on with our lives, when that changes look out. 

4 hours ago, riversco said:

Absolutely no mention of civil unrest associated with BLM rallies.

Those we largely peaceful protests™.

5 hours ago, 5-Points said:

It certainly would be if they decided to go that route. 

Bingo. 

There's been virtually zero violence from the right, certainly no mass violence like there has been from the left. 

The left runs around damaging as much as they can with primitive weapons, while being cowards at the same time. 

The right... I mean think about...if they had the same mindset as the left ("Go after them and cause damage") do those on the left understand just how fast they'd be dead?  As in MASSIVE numbers.  Do they even realize this?  Antifa..all gone. Dead. MS-13...all gone. Dead.  BLM...all gone...dead. 

Why on earth would the left keep trying their hardest to provoke a group that would wipe them completely out? 

1 minute ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Bingo. 

There's been virtually zero violence, certainly no mass violence like there has been from the left. 

The left runs around damaging as much as they can with primitive weapons, while being cowards at the same time. 

The right... I mean think about...if they had the same mindset as the left ("Go after them and cause damage") do those on the left understand just how fast they'd be dead?  As in MASSIVE numbers.  Do they even realize this?  Antifa..all gone. Dead. MS-13...all gone. Dead.  BLM...all gone...dead. 

Why on earth would the left keep trying their hardest to provoke a group that would wipe them completely out? 

Sounds amazing 

2 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Sounds amazing 

And accurate. You can see daily even the rational black folks are starting to get pissed and express it way more often than before. 

People are starting to have had enough of all the lies and violence from the left. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Utilit99 said:

And accurate. You can see daily even the rational black folks are starting to get pissed and express it way more often than before. 

People are starting to have had enough of all the lies and violence from the left. 

If that's the end result I hope they keep protesting 

Just now, iam90sbaby said:

#metoo

This is related to what I was saying in mm.... beer's "news" thread.

Be aware that journalistic ethics are transitioning out of society. Just this month many old school newsroom editors have capitulated, been purged, and replaced with activists.   News sites are riddled with woke Antifa supporters/members who scrap any hints of impartiality and make propaganda. They surely spin and frame facts as a lawyer presenting a case would. 

If you thought news was biased before (and you were right) now it's increasingly open and they don't even try to attempt writing impartial stories to appease their editors.

2 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

And who's to say...if Trump loses...the right doesn't pull a "left" and start in like the left has---just to prove a point.  ("You did it, so can we"). 
They never have before, but the left has never gone THIS overboard before. 

Big prollem if this happens, because the right, will actually do damage.  Not the kiddie punk-ass hoodlum vandal coward damage that these folks are doing.

Then what happens?

One thing that would happen --- like I said earlier, you'd have masses of those on the left wearing red to just hide their cowardly asses. 

It's sort of like this...except it would be in masses, and for keeps.
(The left is the little guy, the right is the big guy)

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/186158/

Also, watching the little hoodlum limp around after is hilarious. 🤣

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, riversco said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/violence-far-among-us-most-090006442.html

Violence by far-right is among US’s most dangerous terrorist threats, study finds

This is like a report coming out that says  "Most violent crime in the USA, including rape and murder are committed by females between the ages of 11 and 16."  

You can go by the report, or you can go by what your eyes see. 

What do your eyes see, regarding violence?

Is this the same study/report that states you can't catch COVID at a BLM event but can at a Trump rally?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, posty said:

Is this the same study/report that states you can't catch COVID at a BLM event but can at a Trump rally?

No that's a different study. This specific one was part of the study that said we are all going to die in 10 years due to global warming.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tubby_mcgee said:

(The left is the little guy, the right is the big guy)

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/186158/

Also, watching the little hoodlum limp around after is hilarious. 🤣

Holy crap. That little turd is going to be feeling that for a while. Hopefully. :lol:

19 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

No that's a different study. This specific one was part of the study that said we are all going to die in 10 years due to global warming.

Ah...  Gracias...

8 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

Holy crap. That little turd is going to be feeling that for a while. Hopefully. :lol:

Also, what that reminds me of...imagine again...the left is the little fella that got body slammed. 

His "side" would be saying "What!?  You can't body slam someone like that! That big kid is in the wrong!  Throw him in jail!"  (Then they'd begin to riot and loot and terrorize because the other side, meaning the big kid, wasn't fair)

Wait.  We've seen this before.  Recently.  

Also, in the video...the big guy just sat there and took it til he decided "enough is enough" --- then BAMM...game over. 

That's what is going to happen if the left keeps pushing.

1 hour ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Also, what that reminds me of...imagine again...the left is the little fella that got body slammed. 

His "side" would be saying "What!?  You can't body slam someone like that! That big kid is in the wrong!  Throw him in jail!"  (Then they'd begin to riot and loot and terrorize because the other side, meaning the big kid, wasn't fair)

Wait.  We've seen this before.  Recently.  

Also, in the video...the big guy just sat there and took it til he decided "enough is enough" --- then BAMM...game over. 

That's what is going to happen if the left keeps pushing.

Yeah, it's coming.

Talked to my brother the other day, he's a big time gun guy. He and his wife own four nail salons, and he has a farm that last year grew CBD, now he's growing organic vegetables for sale to restaurants. 

He surprised me. He said he's really worried. He says he's set the farm up with ammo and supplies in case they need a place to bug out. 

1 hour ago, Fireballer said:

Fukin white supremacists!!!

This is what liberals support. Every one of those violent kids should be put to death.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Thos is what liberals support. Every one of those violent kids should be put to death.

What does this have to do with BLM or crt?

Kids have been beating up other kids for decades

14 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Everything is race-centered, didn't you know?  They made the rules.

1 hour ago, Fireballer said:

White kid should've never turtled. Punch the biggest one in the mouf then run if you have to. Never turtle. 

I'll teach you a lesson in violence you won't soon forget 

18 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

It has to do with black racism against whites. You know, the shlt your liberal gods have been pushing heavily since hussein became president. Why do you even need to ask this question? It's your gospel. 

22 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Also, I've participated in fair fights as a kid, I never got others involved to beat the shlt out of somebody. 4 on 1? No. Not over what kids fight over.

But this one was racism. So, it was a lynching. Glad to hear you are all in favor of lynching.

2 hours ago, Fireballer said:

This happens all over. I grew up having to deal with this sh1t everyday. 

Disgusting behavior that most black people participate in.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

It has to do with black racism against whites. You know, the shlt your liberal gods have been pushing heavily since hussein became president. Why do you even need to ask this question? It's your gospel. 

How do you know they are racist?  Maybe the kid is just a doosh?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

Also, I've participated in fair fights as a kid, I never got others involved to beat the shlt out of somebody. 4 on 1? No. Not over what kids fight over.

But this one was racism. So, it was a lynching. Glad to hear you are all in favor of lynching.

Lynching?  I didn't see the kid hanging from a tree.  You did?

24 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

This happens all over. I grew up having to deal with this sh1t everyday. 

Disgusting behavior that most black people participate in.

Most black people? :lol:

is this like a vast majority of gays are turned gay from abuse?

NObody talks more sh1t than you

5 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Lynching?  I didn't see the kid hanging from a tree.  You did?

:lol: You are seriously defending a group of  blacks beating the shlt out of a white kid while one adult black dude directs the violence while putting it on video and uploading to the world to see?