Sign in to follow this  
polecatt

Cam Newton signs with Patriots

If healthy, he's better than any QB they have, so I don't see how this makes them worse

A team built around dink and dunk because their o-line sucks signs a QB with 59% completion percentage.  

Nevermind the whole team first culture in New England that Can will blow up with his look-at-me schtick.

I'm sure Belicheck can think up something. They had a big time air it out attack a few years back when Brady still had arm strength.

It's not like Cam didn't have one of the worst receiving corps in Charlotte either. The only decent WR he's ever had was Steve Smith and he left in 2013.

If a statue like Brady can get around the OL, I'm sure one of the most mobile QBs in the NFL can

3 hours ago, polecatt said:

If healthy, he's better than any QB they have, so I don't see how this makes them worse

key words.... if healthy.

Lis  Franc injury is tough to come back from.

I think from here on out Newton is a drop back passer.  i dont think he will be able to play the game he played before because I just dont think the running ability will be there.

but I do think he has enough skills to be a solid drop back passer.  but I do think this will be an adjustment for him.

10 hours ago, polecatt said:

It's not like Cam didn't have one of the worst receiving corps in Charlotte either. The only decent WR he's ever had was Steve Smith and he left in 2013.

Sarcasm?  DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel are pretty solid.  Both put up better numbers with Kyle Allen and Newton in the prior year.

Or do you mean over the span since 2013 where you're talking about bums like  Cotchery, Funchess, and Benjamin?

What I recall with Steve Smith is he grabbed a lot of poorly thrown balls from Cam. Same with Funchess who got hurt trying to haul some of those ducks. He's going to be the starter but I could see him being pulled for accuracy if he can't keep it in the 60 pct range. 

44 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

What I recall with Steve Smith is he grabbed a lot of poorly thrown balls from Cam. Same with Funchess who got hurt trying to haul some of those ducks. He's going to be the starter but I could see him being pulled for accuracy if he can't keep it in the 60 pct range. 

Yeah, that's what I remember as well.  Newton has always been a poor passer, but his athleticism bailed him out.

Assuming the season goes on as planned, I doubt Newton will have enough time with the team to win the starting job.  I believe Stidham will be the starter and Newton never sees the field unless Stidham absolutely screws the pooch.  Newton's contract, from what I've read and heard, is incentive loaded so he's not going to make much unless he actually plays.  So it's not like the team will have any pressure to play him.

Interesting move, but I’m not sure he can make them better. Speaking on Newton.  

I think we’ve seen his best in the past, not so sure about going forward.  

I’m sure we’ve all seen the report , that the Pats where the only team to offer Cam a job, Pats have nothing to lose here , I think, but I see little gain.  

There’s a lot of hype for this move but I don’t see why. I would understand if they won the services of a hot free agent in a bidding war but Cam was out there for anyone to sign and no one did. It’s like being mad that your friend took the last slice of pizza but it was just sitting there for an hour and you didn’t take it.

8 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Sarcasm?  DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel are pretty solid.  Both put up better numbers with Kyle Allen and Newton in the prior year.

Or do you mean over the span since 2013 where you're talking about bums like  Cotchery, Funchess, and Benjamin?

DJ Moore has just been playing two season, his rookie season was the only one with Cam. Last season was Samuel's first full season, still he barely managed 600 yards. There's som potential there, don't get me wrong, especially Moore, but that's far from a solid receiving corps. Compare them to what people call a terrible receiving crops that Aaron Rodgers has. They at least have one top notch WR. The Panthers have been weak at WR since they had Steve Smith and Muhsin Muhammad and that was like 15 years ago. They did have Greg Olsen who is a very good TE but he's not been able to stay healthy. The guy won the MVP in 2015 with his top WR being a 30 year old Ted Ginn, who was never really more than a glorified punt returner to begin with.

I don't expect Cam to be his 2015 self, but I think he's the best QB they have. That is unless Stidham is a big surprise. I still think the potential is there for a pretty good season.

On 6/29/2020 at 2:33 PM, tanatastic said:

There’s a lot of hype for this move but I don’t see why. I would understand if they won the services of a hot free agent in a bidding war but Cam was out there for anyone to sign and no one did. It’s like being mad that your friend took the last slice of pizza but it was just sitting there for an hour and you didn’t take it.

I like they way you said this.

I think hes a high priced insurance policy.   possible starter.

Belechek has  high standards.  to start, he would need to learn that playbook inside out and backwards and learn it quickly.

his new coach does not have patience for someone who doesnt do this.

so Cam will need to work his arse off.

I've not heard anything posiitive or negative about Cam's work ethic, but it will be tested here.

after that, what happens largely depends on his health.  if he has recovered to a point where he can still run with the football, he can still be effective.

I think it more likely he becomes more of a tradiitional drop back passer.  Hes got a good O line.  from that perspective, this is one of the best places for him to land if this is his new normal.

This is one of those situations where you want to monitor how things go through camp.  Right now I would say this is a crapshoot.

$1.5M in per-game roster bonus?  That tells me that the Patriots will 100% be addressing the QB position in at least FA or the Draft and could cut bait with him (literally cut him), at any point in the season.

That's not starter money. And if he ends up not playing much, it's not outrageous money for a backup either. And I think he will be much more ready to play this year than he was last year.

14 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

$1.5M in per-game roster bonus?  That tells me that the Patriots will 100% be addressing the QB position in at least FA or the Draft and could cut bait with him (literally cut him), at any point in the season.

1.5M total game roster bonus. If he doesn’t start, $5M total to be backup for entire season.  (Hard to reach performance bonuses from the sideline.)  it’s a great contract that gives a plan for bringing in another starter.  But they don’t need to cut him (though they still might of course.)