Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Do you carry a knife?

We're all of an age where it was pretty normal to carry a knife.  Either your dad or granddad gave you your first "Oldtimer" or what not.  Do you still carry a knife?

This has been my daily carry for a year... 

https://www.benchmade.com/infidel-family.html

The black finish.... there is not a hard plastic packaging in sight I cannot slide through like butta.

Prior to that I had a SOG Flash II... decent lockout with a spring assist.

Old school 3 blade Case pocketknife, but not for protection of killing. I carry a gun for that. 

No, never have.  I cant'stand anything in my pockets.  Nobody in my normal group of friends (late 30's early 40's) does either.  Have a Leatherman in my truck but, that's it.  Excludes hunting, take all the proper gear but, not everyday life. 

I don't carry a gun but, a lot of them do.  Even their wive's are packing.

In my pants, but it's not sharp

On me no. But I have 1 in my glove box, and another in my tackle box. So they're never to far away.

4 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Yeah.  Just a Gerber Paraframe.  I use it all the time.  Haven't we done this one before?

Nothing new under the sun nor at the geeksclubs bro.

• Like 1

Unless I'm camping, I don't generally carry a knife with me. But I remember when I was little one of my older brothers and his friends always wore buck knives in the cases attached to their belts.

This topic just reminds me of a story concerning a buck knife. My brother and his friend were hitch hiking. This was in the 70's and they were like 14 or 15 years old. This guy picked them up and my brothers friend got in the front seat and my brother got in the back seat. My brothers friend was kind of short and they both had the 70's long hair. During the drive, the guy put his hand on the thigh of my brother's friend. They were in one of those 70's cars that had the bench style front seat. My brothers friend grabbed the guys wrist with his left hand and moved the guys hand to the part of the seat between them. With his right hand he took his buck knife and literally pinned the guys hand to the seat with one thrust. The guy pulled over and let them out. After I heard that story I never again asked my brother why he wore that buck knife everywhere. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2020 at 7:04 AM, edjr said:

In my pants, but it's not sharp

You can even bring it past security since it’s under 3 inches :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

You can even bring it past security since it’s under 3 inches :thumbsup:

always nice to hear from a man with personal knowledge

1 minute ago, Utilit99 said:

He's wrong.

Still funny though, that's what matters,

I have a ton of knives. I carry a WWII Schrade switchblade paratroopers knife. It sounds more impressive than it is. Mine is beat to , and I have to open it manually. The blade is worn down to 2 3/4". 

The Benchmade knives look great. 

Interesting topic... I wouldn't consider myself a "knife guy," but I have 3 Leathermans of various sizes.  I used to keep one in my travel backpack but 9/11 killed that.  I used to keep one in my car but I visit high security places that occasionally search your car and they don't like weapons in your car.  

That being said, a few weeks ago we went to Prescott for a mostly hiking and kayaking trip.  On a whim I threw my mid-size Leatherman into my water pack for hiking, in case... I don't really know why.  I hike in the Phoenix area all of the time and never carried a knife.

Leatherman Juice S2:  https://www.leatherman.com/juice-s2-363.html?dwvar_363_color=88&cgid=#q=juice&lang=en_US&gclid=CjwKCAjwrvv3BRAJEiwAhwOdM5npwyCH-7abGUyUDO7iRn9ewQw0-sQRj76_iFRKLvHtIfGxNec1WRoC7-AQAvD_BwE&start=1

On the way to Prescott we took a long way through Wickenburg and hiked a mountain called Vulture Peak.  That hike was hard, and there were legit 7 vultures circling us at the top hoping we died.  Anyway, at the very beginning I wasn't paying attention and stepped on some jumping cholla.

It was not unlike that video.  I remembered I had the knife and pulled it out, and in a bit of a panicked frenzy, I opened the knife blade and started flicking at the ball from hell.  My wife, who wasn't in panicked pain, said "hey, is that pliers?"  Oh yeah... those could help to pull those demon barbs out!  15 minutes later, I got almost all of them out of my foot, and hiked up that focking mountain dadblammit!

So I learned a few lessons, other than not to step on those things.  One, always take a knife hiking, as you never know when you need its help.  Two, until this point I basically thought that scissors were the only extra tool required.  I now know that pliers are required as well.  :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1