Sign in to follow this  
AxeElf

Chase Daniel's Paycheck

Just thought this was interesting...  Chase Daniel is getting more money to watch Matthew Stafford play QB than Jameis Winston and Cam Newton are making... combined!

Article

Have to blame the staff for paying guys like that too much. He gets to preserve his body and can still afford all the hookers and blow he can handle. Especially since Stafford is among the most durable QBs in the league (last year was a rarity). 

He was the highest paid backup with the Bears. Idk if he is the greatest sideline qb ever, but it definitely didn't help the Bears last year. There are soooo many cheap backup options with just as much upside as Daniel. With a hard cap his paycheck makes no sense.

1 hour ago, Smileseers said:

How many instances of bigotry do people need to see before it becomes unacceptable?

Black Checks Matter!

Yeah, it's just the Lions being the Lions, nothing to see here we haven't seen a million times

It’s great to live in a country like the good ol USA.  

Im sure this isn’t the first time that this as been the case. 

Thanks. 

A couple of things....

• Covid played a HUGE part in both Winston's and Newton's deals.
  • Both Winston and Newton think they're better than what they really are and hence held out for more.
    • Winston literally thought he was going to get a $30M+ deal to start (this is not the fault of the NFL owners).
    • Newton was coming off an age 30 season that was lost due to injury.  Everyone in the NFL knows that you don't get healthier as you get older and that a player who NEEDS his legs, missed an entire season because he didn't have them.
  • Chase Daniels knows exactly who and what he is and will take the first contract offered to him.
  • Chase Daniels is essentially a second QB coach for when the QB coach isn't in the room.
    • Knowing your position and playing it, are two different things.  You can be great at one and terrible at the other... regardless of the side.
  • If both Newton and Winston play and meet certain criteria, they'll both make more than Daniels.
  • Lastly, Winston is a terrible QB, let's not pretend that he's not a backup in the NFL.

Also, Winston and Newton signed one year contracts, gambling that they'll get a chance to show enough this year to cash in next year.

27 minutes ago, Vikings4ever said:

Also, Winston and Newton signed one year contracts, gambling that they'll get a chance to show enough this year to cash in next year.

I don't even think they care if they play this year.  I think next years free agent period is going to be a massive one.  I think teams are going to be more aggressive on going after players, because they weren't able to this year.  Although, it's possible that it won't.  We don't know how the cap will be affected due to the limited, or even non-existent, attendance.  Time will tell.  Also, Newton could make as much as $7M this season.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't even think they care if they play this year.  I think next years free agent period is going to be a massive one.  I think teams are going to be more aggressive on going after players, because they weren't able to this year.  Although, it's possible that it won't.  We don't know how the cap will be affected due to the limited, or even non-existent, attendance.  Time will tell.  Also, Newton could make as much as $7M this season.

Cam is in a good spot to possibly have a good season as the starter and get paid next season. For Jameis, I think the best thing that could happen for him is to only play 2-3 games and play really well, with low interceptions. Then I think next season, he will make good starter's money

I think Winston as the most to gain, I think Cam is past his best days, I think with coaching Winston could get better, and he has his new eye sight. 

1 hour ago, polecatt said:

Cam is in a good spot to possibly have a good season as the starter and get paid next season. For Jameis, I think the best thing that could happen for him is to only play 2-3 games and play really well, with low interceptions. Then I think next season, he will make good starter's money

45 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I think Winston as the most to gain, I think Cam is past his best days, I think with coaching Winston could get better, and he has his new eye sight. 

I think you're both right.  Cam is in a better position to maximize his value next year... but Winston's ceiling is higher because he's younger and his career isn't dependent on his legs.

Saying that, I don't think either will come to fruition.  Newton isn't that good of a QB unless he's totally healthy and is able to run.  I believe that Stidham will be the guy under center all year in New England, barring injury or health.  Winston, eye sight addressed or not, he's a terrible decision maker.  One, two, or three games in 2020 won't show any team that Winston changed.  I think that next year, both QB's will get again, 1 year deals.  Both will be in a situation where they'll have to compete for the starting job... could even be against each other on the same team.  If I were a gambling man, I'd bet that neither one gets a multi-year deal with "starter" money.  I could see them both getting 3 year $45M deals, with no guaranteed money, but at $15M AAV, that's not "starter money", that's "you gotta earn it" money.

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I think you're both right.  Cam is in a better position to maximize his value next year... but Winston's ceiling is higher because he's younger and his career isn't dependent on his legs.

Saying that, I don't think either will come to fruition.  Newton isn't that good of a QB unless he's totally healthy and is able to run.  I believe that Stidham will be the guy under center all year in New England, barring injury or health.  Winston, eye sight addressed or not, he's a terrible decision maker.  One, two, or three games in 2020 won't show any team that Winston changed.  I think that next year, both QB's will get again, 1 year deals.  Both will be in a situation where they'll have to compete for the starting job... could even be against each other on the same team.  If I were a gambling man, I'd bet that neither one gets a multi-year deal with "starter" money.  I could see them both getting 3 year $45M deals, with no guaranteed money, but at $15M AAV, that's not "starter money", that's "you gotta earn it" money.

What I've heard is Cam is completely healthy now. Unless Stidham has greatness in his future, I just don't see him beating out a healthy Cam yet. You never know what Bill is thinking though. He may not have plans for Cam beyond one season. Even if he's the starter this season and plays well, Bill may not have plans to sign him again. That would get him signed elsewhere though. I could see him getting a Ryan Tannehill type deal somewhere.

Jameis may just sit most of the season and if they're pleased with him, sign again with the intent of taking over in two seasons after Brees is gone.

1 minute ago, polecatt said:

What I've heard is Cam is completely healthy now. Unless Stidham has greatness in his future, I just don't see him beating out a healthy Cam yet. You never know what Bill is thinking though. He may not have plans for Cam beyond one season. Even if he's the starter this season and plays well, Bill may not have plans to sign him again. That would get him signed elsewhere though. I could see him getting a Ryan Tannehill type deal somewhere.

Jameis may just sit most of the season and if they're pleased with him, sign again with the intent of taking over in two seasons after Brees is gone.

I definitely think that's a legitimate outcome.  I don't think it'll play out that way, but it's certainly possible.

On 6/30/2020 at 7:09 PM, tanatastic said:

Have to blame the staff for paying guys like that too much. He gets to preserve his body and can still afford all the hookers and blow he can handle. Especially since Stafford is among the most durable QBs in the league (last year was a rarity). 

I wouldnt call hiim the most durable.

early in his career he was labelled injury prone.

but I agree, hes been good of late other than the most recent injury of course.

42 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

I wouldnt call hiim the most durable.

early in his career he was labelled injury prone.

but I agree, hes been good of late other than the most recent injury of course.

8 straight seasons without missing a game is really impressive so I’ll give him that super durable tag. Sadly it never amounts to much as he hasnt come close to his huge season early on and I doubt he will.

19 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

A couple of things....

• Covid played a HUGE part in both Winston's and Newton's deals.
  • Both Winston and Newton think they're better than what they really are and hence held out for more.
    • Winston literally thought he was going to get a $30M+ deal to start (this is not the fault of the NFL owners).
    • Newton was coming off an age 30 season that was lost due to injury.  Everyone in the NFL knows that you don't get healthier as you get older and that a player who NEEDS his legs, missed an entire season because he didn't have them.
  • Chase Daniels knows exactly who and what he is and will take the first contract offered to him.
  • Chase Daniels is essentially a second QB coach for when the QB coach isn't in the room.
    • Knowing your position and playing it, are two different things.  You can be great at one and terrible at the other... regardless of the side.
  • If both Newton and Winston play and meet certain criteria, they'll both make more than Daniels.
  • Lastly, Winston is a terrible QB, let's not pretend that he's not a backup in the NFL.

A second qb coach, look at how great that made the Bears last year. It's more about how horrible the deal for Daniel's is

3 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

A second qb coach, look at how great that made the Bears last year. It's more about how horrible the deal for Daniel's is

I think that's more of an indictment on how bad Trubisky is than Daniel.  After all, Daniel was with Alex Smith, Drew Brees, and Carson Wentz prior to being with Mitch Trubisky.  Not saying Daniel had anything to do with the success or failures of any of those other 3 guys, but apparently those teams liked his contributions.  He was in NO for 3 years, and they brought him back a few years later.  He was in KC for 3 years and Pederson brought him to Philly.  You don't last that long in this league with coaching consistency for no reason at all.  Especially since Nagy brought Daniel to the Bears from Philly.  I'm willing to bet that Foles, who isn't all that good, will beat out Trubisky for the starting job.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I think that's more of an indictment on how bad Trubisky is than Daniel.  After all, Daniel was with Alex Smith, Drew Brees, and Carson Wentz prior to being with Mitch Trubisky.  Not saying Daniel had anything to do with the success or failures of any of those other 3 guys, but apparently those teams liked his contributions.  He was in NO for 3 years, and they brought him back a few years later.  He was in KC for 3 years and Pederson brought him to Philly.  You don't last that long in this league with coaching consistency for no reason at all.  Especially since Nagy brought Daniel to the Bears from Philly.  I'm willing to bet that Foles, who isn't all that good, will beat out Trubisky for the starting job.

I don't think there is enough training camp or preseason for Foles to start. The smart thing would be give Mitch a shot and then if he can't handle it switch to Foles. That gives Foles extra time to digest everything and gives Tribs one more shot

I would also say that anyone who thinks this is primarily on Tribs, it's at the very least equally on Nagy. One of the worst offensive minds for being a supposed guru/delicate genius ever.

20 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I don't think there is enough training camp or preseason for Foles to start. The smart thing would be give Mitch a shot and then if he can't handle it switch to Foles. That gives Foles extra time to digest everything and gives Tribs one more shot

I would also say that anyone who thinks this is primarily on Tribs, it's at the very least equally on Nagy. One of the worst offensive minds for being a supposed guru/delicate genius ever.

You very well might be right about Nagy, but Trubisky never looked like a good prospect, even in college.  I honestly have no idea whatsoever anyone was thinking when evaluating him.

Concerning Foles and Trubisky, I don't think they need a training camp or preseason.  Nagy worked with Foles.  He already knows what he can do.  Honestly, I think they'd only need like a week to decide.

7 hours ago, tanatastic said:

8 straight seasons without missing a game is really impressive so I’ll give him that super durable tag. Sadly it never amounts to much as he hasnt come close to his huge season early on and I doubt he will.

I think if it ever happens, this will be the year.

all the pieces are in place.

35 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

You very well might be right about Nagy, but Trubisky never looked like a good prospect, even in college.  I honestly have no idea whatsoever anyone was thinking when evaluating him.

Concerning Foles and Trubisky, I don't think they need a training camp or preseason.  Nagy worked with Foles.  He already knows what he can do.  Honestly, I think they'd only need like a week to decide.

There is still the concern with the Bears oline. Foles will not be able to escape pressure consistently like Tribs can. I would be really surprised if they started Foles off the bat. If there isn't an obvious gap in the two qbs by the time the first week roles around, if I am Pace I am asking Nagy to start Tribs to give him one more shot there is way too much on the line here with how much they gave up for him, and is Foles really that much better to start week 1 with all factors considered? 

2 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

There is still the concern with the Bears oline. Foles will not be able to escape pressure consistently like Tribs can. I would be really surprised if they started Foles off the bat. If there isn't an obvious gap in the two qbs by the time the first week roles around, if I am Pace I am asking Nagy to start Tribs to give him one more shot there is way too much on the line here with how much they gave up for him, and is Foles really that much better to start week 1 with all factors considered? 

I will agree with you that if they think there is no discernible gap between Trubisky and Foles, Trubisky should start for the very reason you stated.  There's no long term upside to Foles.  To me, he's a stop-gap starter / mentor.  Trubisky's ceiling is definitely higher.  If I were a betting man though, I'd bet against Trubisky.

QB's can make their line better though.  Believe it or not, there is a contingent of Tampa fans that don't think Brady will do well and feel that bringing back Winston would have been a better option.  Seriously, I'm not joking.  It's actually a sizable number too.  Of course, you have to consider that there are a lot of homer FSU fans down there.  Anyway, their reasoning was that the OLine isn't that good and Winston is younger and more athletic and would be able to handle the pressure better than Brady.  Here's the thing... over the last 5 years, Brady's time to throw is lower than Winston's in every year.  Meaning, Brady gets the ball rid of the ball faster.  So, if the Bucs OLine is bad and give Winston 2.80 seconds to throw the ball, that's enough time because Brady got rid of the ball in 2.6 seconds.  I never looked at Trubisky or Foles, but if Foles is a faster decision maker, then the quality of the OLine isn't as important when he's in there compared to Trubisky.