travelr1

Draft Position #9 Strategy

This year I am drafting in the number 9 slot (out of 10 teams) what strategy would you suggest?  Heavy RB first or heavy WR?  In the mock drafts I have done my grade has been best drafting Kelce early with my second pick.

PPR; 

10 Teams;

QB, 2 RB, 3WR, TE, Flex, D, K

In 10 team leagues, talent lasts longer, so despite the fact that WR has the most depth of the positions, I'm taking 1 WR and 1 RB at the (near), turn.

Unless there's special scoring for TE's or QB's that will give the top 3 to 5 a greater advantage, I'm still not touching either position until at least the 5th or 6th round.  I'll take a TE if a top tier guy falls to the 5th round, but otherwise, I'm thinking 6th round at the earliest.  If all the good ones are gone, I probably won't address the position until the 10th round or so.  I won't take a QB until about 8th round or later.

Lots of talent to go around in a ten team league, I mean it’s not a tough league like the difficult kind axe playes in, he’s in a superflex league, but I digress, if taking Kelce works for your own personal rankings , that’s the way to go. 

Good luck. 

• Confused 1

Kelce is nice to have. Barring injury you can set and forget. I had him the last couple seasons and not having to worry about that position for two years... I may keep him over Chubb.

I try to get my RB's first. Never tried rolling with high rnd WR's but the team that did gave me fits last year. I barely beat him in the playoffs and really only by sheer luck, like a point and change. I don't think either path is wrong but again, I do like Kelce early.

Mock draft grades are even more ridiculous than real draft grades.

Don't go into ANY real draft with a hard and fast strategy in mind ahead of time; just be capable of pivoting to whatever opportunities present themselves.  Yeah, Kelce looks good in the draft grade, but you can wait ten rounds and get 1 point less per week out of Hayden Hurst.

Since it's PPR, you can pretty much just go with the best RB/WR available for the first 8-9 rounds, then worry about your support positions in the double-digit rounds.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Don't go into ANY real draft with a hard and fast strategy in mind ahead of time; just be capable of pivoting to whatever opportunities present themselves.  Yeah, Kelce looks good in the draft grade, but you can wait ten rounds and get 1 point less per week out of Hayden Hurst.

Since it's PPR, you can pretty much just go with the best RB/WR available for the first 8-9 rounds, then worry about your support positions in the double-digit rounds.

Or get both. People are always looking for tight ends in season

I would just draft the best RB or WR available with the top 2 picks, and don't be afraid to double up.

What Axe Elf said is pretty good advice

Never been a fan of chasing tes early, but it’s a ten team ppr, lots lots of depth to pick from as the draft goes on, Kelce is without question the most consistent te and has Mahomes at Qb. 

Can’t take a te or QB with your first pick. You have to take the best wr or rb on the board. Yes they could bust, about 50% of the top RBs and even WRs bust every year, but you need to be one of the teams that takes that risk and hits or you will get beat by the teams that do.

Kelce you can start targeting rnd 2 that’s fine. Hes been the top te like 4 years in a row or something crazy. That sounds great but it’s still a lower value position. You take Kelce first and you will be looking up at the teams who hit on stud RB/WRs early and found a late round gem at TE. 

OP, we don’t know who would be available to at the 9th pick, so the highest ranked wr or rb should be just fine, I would prefer a rb, if if your going to target Kelce with your second pick, if you don’t take a rb with your first pick and do indeed take Kelce with that second pick, oh boy you’ll be waiting a long time to get that rb1. 

You can always chase wr later in a draft , and even more so in a ppr ten teamer.  

On 7/1/2020 at 4:30 PM, AxeElf said:

this.

the advantage of picking late is that nearly everyone else has shown their hand by the time you have drafted.

many drafting this late  dont realize how big an advantage this can be.

when drafting this late, you let the draft come to you.   Dont chase any specific strategy because too many  things can go screwy by the time you pick.

This is where mocks can help you because people will try stupid stuff in a mock and if you want to test your strategy against the unexpected, a mock can sometimes be helpful.

That being said.... as for the TE thing.... you should not be even considering a TE in round 1.

My guess is in most formats... round 3 is good.   maybe late in round 2 for PPR.

my general theory on the TE posiition.....   if you are looking at WR's and the best ones on the board have slightly better stats than the top TE, that is the point where you should switch and go with a TE in  lieu of a WR.    if you can  get most of  the production of the top WR on the board with a TE that TE is more valuable because of the position you are filling.

in my experience, that usually  happens in round 3.  some years it happens late in round 2, occasionally round 4, but most times its in the latter half of the third round.  Take a TE earlier than that, you are overpaying.  plain and simple.

but picking at 9, you likely have 5 RBs that should be off the board and 3 WR's.   the odd time the top QB will  come off the board, but that's not a regular thing.

usually one of the top 5 RB's  or one of the top 3 WR's gets passed over by someone and drops to you at this slot. 

Usually that is your pick.

sometimes people go off the board and multiple players that should be gone  are available.   this is another  case where you should mock it, or at least have a good ranking list that you truly believe in.   Many draft mistakes actually happen when 2 or 3 people go completely off the board and throw everyone else off their game.    if you are lucky enough to see this happen, take your best guy at 9 and expect to get another good player after the turn.

and do NOT under any circumstances extend a long run on a position.   if you are up at 9 and 8 RB's are off the board, you take your best WR and look at getting a RB with round 2 or 3.   at that point the dropoff in points wont be huge if you pass and wait a round.   ditto if 6 WR's are off the board. 

it is almost guaranteed that if you are coming in at the end of a position run that you have probably  made your first mistake. (unless 8 RB's are off the board and Zeke or McCaffrey are somehow still on the board.....)

either way, this is another case of making a good list you believe in and sticking to your list.

best of luck to you.   and NO TE's in  round 1.   trust me, you can wait on this.

The OP didn’t say a thing about taking Kelce in the first round. 

55 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

this.

the advantage of picking late is that nearly everyone else has shown their hand by the time you have drafted.

many drafting this late  dont realize how big an advantage this can be.

when drafting this late, you let the draft come to you.   Dont chase any specific strategy because too many  things can go screwy by the time you pick.

This is where mocks can help you because people will try stupid stuff in a mock and if you want to test your strategy against the unexpected, a mock can sometimes be helpful.

That being said.... as for the TE thing.... you should not be even considering a TE in round 1.

My guess is in most formats... round 3 is good.   maybe late in round 2 for PPR.

my general theory on the TE posiition.....   if you are looking at WR's and the best ones on the board have slightly better stats than the top TE, that is the point where you should switch and go with a TE in  lieu of a WR.    if you can  get most of  the production of the top WR on the board with a TE that TE is more valuable because of the position you are filling.

in my experience, that usually  happens in round 3.  some years it happens late in round 2, occasionally round 4, but most times its in the latter half of the third round.  Take a TE earlier than that, you are overpaying.  plain and simple.

but picking at 9, you likely have 5 RBs that should be off the board and 3 WR's.   the odd time the top QB will  come off the board, but that's not a regular thing.

usually one of the top 5 RB's  or one of the top 3 WR's gets passed over by someone and drops to you at this slot. 

Usually that is your pick.

sometimes people go off the board and multiple players that should be gone  are available.   this is another  case where you should mock it, or at least have a good ranking list that you truly believe in.   Many draft mistakes actually happen when 2 or 3 people go completely off the board and throw everyone else off their game.    if you are lucky enough to see this happen, take your best guy at 9 and expect to get another good player after the turn.

and do NOT under any circumstances extend a long run on a position.   if you are up at 9 and 8 RB's are off the board, you take your best WR and look at getting a RB with round 2 or 3.   at that point the dropoff in points wont be huge if you pass and wait a round.   ditto if 6 WR's are off the board. 

it is almost guaranteed that if you are coming in at the end of a position run that you have probably  made your first mistake. (unless 8 RB's are off the board and Zeke or McCaffrey are somehow still on the board.....)

either way, this is another case of making a good list you believe in and sticking to your list.

best of luck to you.   and NO TE's in  round 1.   trust me, you can wait on this.

I didn’t see anywhere that the op said anything about draft Kelce in the first round, but if you look at Kelce points and avg points per game last season, he would be a top 7 wr.  

So taking him in the second in a ppr in a small 10 team league I would recommend, he won’t get another shot at drafting Kelce.  

7 hours ago, weepaws said:

I didn’t see anywhere that the op said anything about draft Kelce in the first round, but if you look at Kelce points and avg points per game last season, he would be a top 7 wr.  

So taking him in the second in a ppr in a small 10 team league I would recommend, he won’t get another shot at drafting Kelce.  

all I was saying is dont take him in the first.

in PPR he ranks better than standard leagues I suspect, but like I said earlier.... if thinking about a TE, the place to draft him is just before comparable WR's start coming off the board.  as a TE hes worth a bit more than a WR with similar stats because you  are filling the TE position instead of the WR spot. 

where you  hit this point largely depends on the rules and scoring in your league.

In ppr you probably draft him earlier than you do in standard leagues because he does catch a lot of balls although I'd have to run the  numbers to confirm this and I'll admit, I dont have the time to do this right now, but I'm sure someone here will do it.

Based on last season, ppr Kelce would be equal to a wr7 in ppr, non ppr wr 11. 

No doubt in a non ppr no te is as powerful to a ff team as they would be in a ppr. 

Ten Te recorded 90 plus points in non ppr last season, 50 WRs recorded 90 plus points non ppr last season. 

Doesn’t that speak of the value of the top ten Te. 

Wr is a easier fill in later into the draft then any other.  

On 7/1/2020 at 3:16 PM, travelr1 said:

This year I am drafting in the number 9 slot (out of 10 teams) what strategy would you suggest?  Heavy RB first or heavy WR?  In the mock drafts I have done my grade has been best drafting Kelce early with my second pick.

PPR; 

10 Teams;

QB, 2 RB, 3WR, TE, Flex, D, K

Just read that if the NFL plays week one then all players get paid their full salaries should it close down afterwards. Does anyone believe the owners will take that chance? No one, me included, wants to believe there won't be football this season. But it isn't looking good....