Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Update: NFL Scraps Pre-season Games

I wonder if they will adjust the games as well? If they just play Weeks 2 and 3 of the schedule, then some teams are going to be without a home game during the preseason.

I think they will adjust the schedule so it's a home and away for most teams, but if it doesn't completely work out like that, I don't think anyone will be too bent out of shape.

What I think the bigger question is, will this eventually mean regular season games are going to be lost?

Axually they are now cutting Weeks 1, 2 and 5 of the preseason, since the Hall of Fame game (Week 1) was already canceled.

8 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

I really think this is the best move. It gives more time for the virus to die down. It also probably reduces the amount of infections that will happen.

If they cancel the entire preseason, I'm betting they lose regular season games too

On 7/4/2020 at 8:31 AM, Frozenbeernuts said:

I really think this is the best move. It gives more time for the virus to die down. It also probably reduces the amount of infections that will happen.

Eliminating the preseason, completely, will do 2 things...

1) reduce the likelihood of spreading a virus that 99.99% of these players will recover from.

2) increase the number of season ending injuries if they play games.

I'm sorry, but any rationale that says 'we'll play, but less games', is completely stupid.  Your risk of getting the virus in 2 games is not really any less than if you play 4.

To promote my post (play games every other week), cancelling a couple games is fine... probably Weeks 2 and 4, not 1 and 4, would be a reasonable option.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Eliminating the preseason, completely, will do 2 things...

1) reduce the likelihood of spreading a virus that 99.99% of these players will recover from.

2) increase the number of season ending injuries if they play games.

I'm sorry, but any rationale that says 'we'll play, but less games', is completely stupid.  Your risk of getting the virus in 2 games is not really any less than if you play 4.

To promote my post (play games every other week), cancelling a couple games is fine... probably Weeks 2 and 4, not 1 and 4, would be a reasonable option.

I say, if they cancel regular season games, play the 6 division games as usual, and then play 3 conference games, and 3 with the opposing conference. 12 games in all, with some sort of balance. Keep the schedule 17 weeks, but with a few more bye weeks for each team.

There needs to be at least one preseason game, preferably two

Stay tuned for the next announcement of scrapping week 1 of the season. Then week 2 and so on and so forth.

There will be no football and if they try and start it, they won't finish it cause they will all have covid.

3 hours ago, lod001 said:

Stay tuned for the next announcement of scrapping week 1 of the season. Then week 2 and so on and so forth.

There will be no football and if they try and start it, they won't finish it cause they will all have covid.

Shame on you. 

Rumors a three-week COVID-19 list for infected players. I'm not sure if this just a league proposal at this point, or something set in stone...

23 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

We now have official dates for training camps...

22 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

Players and the league continue to talk about protocols...

Do you know if anything has come from state governments pertaining to certain policy exemptions?  For example, NJ still has a 2-week quarantine for anyone who comes into this state from certain states.  With the Jets and Giants hosting 16 teams, have you heard if the governor is lifting that mandate for the NFL?

3 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Do you know if anything has come from state governments pertaining to certain policy exemptions?  For example, NJ still has a 2-week quarantine for anyone who comes into this state from certain states.  With the Jets and Giants hosting 16 teams, have you heard if the governor is lifting that mandate for the NFL?

I haven't heard anything on this front but I'll keep my eyes out for news on this topic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

With the exception of contact with the other team, of course, a visiting team is essentially in "quarantine" anyway, so they probly wouldn't need special dispensation.

They arrive on their own jet, go to their hotel, go to the game, back to the hotel, and leave.  That basically IS quarantine, other than the game part (and that's just contact with another team that is presumably following heightened isolation protocols as well).

13 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

With the exception of contact with the other team, of course, a visiting team is essentially in "quarantine" anyway, so they probly wouldn't need special dispensation.

That's only 1 week... not 2 weeks.  NJ wants 14 days.  If a team came in on a Monday, NJ wants you to wait until... not the next Monday, but the following Tuesday, before you have contact with anyone in NJ.  Right now, NJ 'wants' you to quarantine for 14 days.  I guarantee you this... if Giants or Jets players get the virus and it spreads to their family and friends in NJ, the governor will not allow teams to come into NJ anymore.  Cuomo and his legion of morons in NYC caused a major spread of the virus in northeast NJ.  Murphy (NJ governor), will shut the NFL out of NJ if players and their families start testing positive.  Guaranteed!

44 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

That's only 1 week... not 2 weeks.  NJ wants 14 days.  If a team came in on a Monday, NJ wants you to wait until... not the next Monday, but the following Tuesday, before you have contact with anyone in NJ.  Right now, NJ 'wants' you to quarantine for 14 days.  I guarantee you this... if Giants or Jets players get the virus and it spreads to their family and friends in NJ, the governor will not allow teams to come into NJ anymore.  Cuomo and his legion of morons in NYC caused a major spread of the virus in northeast NJ.  Murphy (NJ governor), will shut the NFL out of NJ if players and their families start testing positive.  Guaranteed!

No, you're missing my point.  I'm not saying that they have satisfied quarantine by the time they play the game, I'm saying they are essentially IN quarantine throughout the process of coming to NJ, playing in the game, and then leaving.  They're not having contact with the public, the citizens of NJ.

32 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

No, you're missing my point.  I'm saying that they have satisfied quarantine by the time they play the game, I'm saying they are essentially IN quarantine throughout the process of coming to NJ, playing in the game, and then leaving.  They're not having contact with the public, the citizens of NJ.

No, they haven't satisfied the quarantine by the time they play the game.  NJ wants 14 days.  Unless the team had bye before the game in NJ, the maximum amount of time they had, was 7 days.  Also, the players are going to practice during that week.  The players and staff go home every day after practice.  They go home to families who've been out in the public... which means, they aren't quarantined.  They also most certainly will come in contact with the public.  You don't think people on the staff of teams won't have contact with people who work at the stadium who are in charge of the daily operations of the venue?  You think that the stadium magically operates all on its own with no one working there?

I'm not saying I'm for or against this measure.  I'm just stating what is currently in place in NJ.  There will be people coming from Florida, for example (a state on the list), who work for the Dolphins - when they play the Jets - who will interact with citizens of NJ.  Those people from Florida were not in a bubble before entering NJ.  Same goes for the players.  They were with their families during that week.  Families who had interactions with the public on a daily basis.  The Jets players, after the game, will go home to their families.  Families who will go out in public on a daily basis.

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

No, they haven't satisfied the quarantine by the time they play the game.

lol  I was afraid that typo would cause trouble.  I tried to get it edited before anyone could reply, but I guess you grabbed the quote before the edit was posted.

What I was trying to say, and what my post says now after the edit is...

"I'm NOT saying that they have satisfied quarantine by the time they play the game, I'm saying they are essentially IN quarantine throughout the process of coming to NJ, playing in the game, and then leaving.  They're not having contact with the public, the citizens of NJ."

Sorry you had to type all that for nothing.  lol

29 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

lol  I was afraid that typo would cause trouble.  I tried to get it edited before anyone could reply, but I guess you grabbed the quote before the edit was posted.

What I was trying to say, and what my post says now after the edit is...

"I'm NOT saying that they have satisfied quarantine by the time they play the game, I'm saying they are essentially IN quarantine throughout the process of coming to NJ, playing in the game, and then leaving.  They're not having contact with the public, the citizens of NJ."

Sorry you had to type all that for nothing.  lol

:cheers:

Here are some details on the Chiefs plan, which has been approved by the league...

- Rookies are reporting today and are getting COVID tests.
- Rookies will be tested again tomorrow.
- Assuming they pass both tests, they get their team physicals and equipment.
- Team has split Arrowhead into two sides - Offensive meetings on one side, Defensive meetings on other
- Team is going to have at least a week or so of conditioning before any on-field work begins

Makes sense.   To me, that should be common sense.  I mean, didn't most of say stuff like that months ago?

That’s to bad for those players trying to impress during the preseason.  

Aaannd the announcement that Week 1 games will be delayed in...

Sounds like the deal is all but done. The executive committee of the NFLPA and the owners have agreed on a deal. The 32 player reps will now vote to approve.

On 7/19/2020 at 1:50 PM, TBayXXXVII said:

I guarantee you this... if Giants or Jets players get the virus and it spreads to their family and friends in NJ, the governor will not allow teams to come into NJ anymore.  Cuomo and his legion of morons in NYC caused a major spread of the virus in northeast NJ.  Murphy (NJ governor), will shut the NFL out of NJ if players and their families start testing positive.  Guaranteed!

I wouldn't doubt them making a show, but let's be honest: with the safety measures already in place, players are WAY more likely to catch it because they wouldn't self-isolate at home during the week than they are to get it on NFL time.

13 hours ago, Vikings4ever said:

I wouldn't doubt them making a show, but let's be honest: with the safety measures already in place, players are WAY more likely to catch it because they wouldn't self-isolate at home during the week than they are to get it on NFL time.

I agree with you on that.  The thing is, those players travel to other towns.  They will come in contact with citizen's, it's impossible for them not to.  If there's a group of citizen's that have contact with NFL, visiting players, that contract the virus and it causes a hot spot, don't be surprised if the Governor has a sh!t fit and there will be a change.

I can see that happening in any state, especially California.