Sign in to follow this  
Torn

2020 Season - What To Do?

Well, this has been and continues to be the strangest year in our lifetimes. Just when I starting seeing some normality begin to creep back in, things now appear to be heading down the crapper again. 

But, baseball does appear to be heading in the direction of putting on a 60 game season. I hope it happens. We could all use some sports to distract us from day to day life...

This leaves us with some new work to do re: our league and how to handle this shortened season. In the interest of time, I'm going to post a few polls to help define the parameters for this season. 

PLEASE vote - we only have a few weeks to get things together, especially if changes are made (which is highly likely).

I know I am no longer in the league, but I would like to weigh in...

Personally I would cancel the league for the season and treat 2021 like the calendar went from 2019 to 2021...

I think that we should play the season as normal but not count 2020 as a service year for keepers and not play for money. We already have a draft. Yeah, it’s sucks. People will lose guys to electing not to play or god forbid the inevitability that someone gets covid. If we take the money and service year off the table I think it alleviates most issues. 

1 hour ago, TalentScout said:

I think that we should play the season as normal but not count 2020 as a service year for keepers and not play for money. We already have a draft. Yeah, it’s sucks. People will lose guys to electing not to play or god forbid the inevitability that someone gets covid. If we take the money and service year off the table I think it alleviates most issues. 

I agree with all of this

although I would probably say we don’t keep the same rosters next year. Keepers can be done off 2020 rosters but I think most owners would like a fresh draft given new information (new injuries, players being a year older, contract situations and free agency) soon don’t think we can just freeze the rosters and use them again for 2021. 

im not sure if that was being suggested. If not you can kindly ignore me

Seems like we could probably use 2020 rosters for 2021 keeper selection but just not +1 a service year for guys as if 2020 didn’t happen? 

also we need to decide if draft order will repeat from 2019 or 2020 season ending. I don’t actually think it matters 

4 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

I agree with all of this

although I would probably say we don’t keep the same rosters next year. Keepers can be done off 2020 rosters but I think most owners would like a fresh draft given new information (new injuries, players being a year older, contract situations and free agency) soon don’t think we can just freeze the rosters and use them again for 2021. 

im not sure if that was being suggested. If not you can kindly ignore me

Good that you pointed this out. I'd thought about that in the same way you did, but never really posted it here. Yes, we will definitely have a draft again next year. That's half the fun (in this league, probably 75% of the fun ) and all of your points re: injuries, prospects moving up, free agent movement, etc. are also important considerations. It's just a matter of how to deal with it. But, there will definitely be a draft.

The question of draft order is another good one. With the shortened season and potential changes to our league or playoff format, we may want/have to deviate from the norm. 

Let's see how the polls shake out and take it from there... 

45 minutes ago, Torn said:

The question of draft order is another good one. With the shortened season and potential changes to our league or playoff format, we may want/have to deviate from the norm. 

There is a draft lottery that uses weighted balls or all the same that can set a draft order...  I could do it and video it like I did for the Geek Homers league a couple of times...

1 hour ago, posty said:

There is a draft lottery that uses weighted balls or all the same that can set a draft order...  I could do it and video it like I did for the Geek Homers league a couple of times...

Sounds fun to me. 

Good call. With so many variables in play, randomizing draft order is probably the best option. 

Although, the thought of weighted balls sounds painful.  😬 

2 hours ago, Torn said:

Although, the thought of weighted balls sounds painful.  😬 

Yeah that does sound very painful, but I am sure that there is someone out there that is into this fetish...

My balls are already pretty hefty