Sign in to follow this  
TBayXXXVII

(MY), Alternate idea for the 2020 NFL Season

I've done a 180 from my opinion back in February.  I put the odds of there being an NFL season at 1%.  But, if they need to come up with an idea, here's one that I think could work... to where the owners and NFLPA might be able to agree with.

They should go to a 10-game schedule where each team plays 2 games vs division opponents and 1 full division in their conference.  They do this over 20 weeks where teams have off every other week.

Week 1.1 - 4 NFC games on Saturday Sept 5th, 4 NFC games on Sunday Sept 6th.
Week 1.2 - 4 AFC games on Saturday Sept 12th, 4 AFC games on Sunday Sept 13th.
Week 2.1 - 4 NFC games on Saturday Sept 19th, 4 NFC games on Sunday Sept 20th.
Week 2.2 - 4 AFC games on Saturday Sept 26th, 4 AFC games on Sunday Sept 27th.

This goes on until January 16th.

Playoff options...
You then have 8 teams from each conference make the playoffs.  Start on Jan 23rd with Super Bowl on Feb 14th.  Sorry lovers, but that's how the dates fall.

Only the 4 division winners make the playoffs.  First round is on Jan 24th (4 games), Conference Champ games on Feb 7th.  Super Bowl on Feb 21st.

Regular season rationale... since I believe there will be no NCAA season, Saturday's will be open.  Since there are 16 teams in each conference, that's 8 games, so to spread out the need for a lot of people to be working half of the games can be played on Saturday and the other half on Sunday.  The NFC South is supposed to play the NFC North this year, so every other Saturday (or Sunday), these 8 teams will play.  The NFC East is supposed to play the NFC West this year, so every other Sunday (or Saturday), these 8 teams will play.  The pattern is the same for the AFC.  This way, every team has 2 weeks to practice as to have less players at practice at one time.  Maybe have one day it will be the offense, the next day the defense.  Or, the morning is offense and the afternoon is defense.  It also allows players to who may come down with Covid, to maybe only miss 1 or 2 games instead of 3, 4, or more.  It also reduces everyone else's exposure.

Playoff rationale... I'm thinking there could be a vaccine come the new year, so maybe games could be played every week.  So, 8 teams could make the playoffs from each conference and the Super Bowl can be on Feb 14th (President's Day is the 15th).  If no vaccine exists, then have only the 4 division winners make the playoffs and they can still play ever other week.  The Super Bowl will be on February 21st.