Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

Mahomes a chief through 2032

He’s been a little mouthy for my liking. He needs to pipe down. 

They can call them the mahomies now

1 minute ago, posty said:

Wrong board...

Covered both ends.  

Has to be tied to salary cap (i.e. percentage of the team's cap each year). Otherwise, it would not make sense for him. Should be interesting to see how the guarantees work out (for injury, for performance, number of years, etc.). 

Dak should get 10 years $350 mill minimum. :lol: 

11 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

400 mill....crazy

Personally, I like seeing them sign a long term deal with him, but......

We'll see how it impacts re-signing valuable vets, and free agents in the future.  Players on the back side of their career may take less to sign/join to try to get a ring, but those prime and close to prime ???

Fock......Jackson is going to ruin the Ravens when his time is up......:wall:

Schefter is reporting that it is a $450m deal with $140m in guarantees (for injury) and it is not tied to a percentage of the salary cap. 

18 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I would never sign any NFL player to a contract that is more than 7 years.

Yeah because elite qbs simply don't last.

18 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I would never sign any NFL player to a contract that is more than 7 years.

Duh, you don’t have the money. :dunno:

They seem to be very confident that the salary cap will continue to go up at the same rate it has been . If it doesn’t they are focked. 

4 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Schefter is reporting that it is a $450m deal with $140m in guarantees (for injury) and it is not tied to a percentage of the salary cap. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Patrick Mahomes' 10-year contract is worth $503 million and includes $477 million in "guaranteed mechanisms."

It's still a 10-year extension, but the new numbers are far better for Mahomes than initially reported. It makes him the first American athlete to sign a contract worth a half billion dollars, and the reported "guarantees" went from $140 million to $477 million. The fine details of this will be confusing, likely containing options, rolling guarantees, and other fancy agent lingo. The bottom line is the quarterback market is finally catching up to a quarterback's true on-field worth. Mahomes will be making $50 million annually for the next decade plus, a cool $15 million more than Russell Wilson. It's certainly a gamble worth taking for the Chiefs, as Mahomes is on an unprecedented early-career trajectory.

Jul 6, 2020, 6:27 PM ET
  •  

4 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Cool. So in a couple of years we will see what he can do with almost no talent around him. 

That too.

Giving that much money to one guy who will be figured out by the rest of the league in short order is fvcking crazy in a salary cap league. 

Dang, Mahomes sucked for 3 quarters in the superbowl. Without Williams carrying the load for him throughout most of the game Mahomes would not even have been in the position to bring them back. Dang. And he has Kelce and Hill etc on that team now. What til they want theirs and let's see what happens to KC.

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

Giving that much money to one guy who will be figured out by the rest of the league in short order is fvcking crazy in a salary cap league. 

Dang, Mahomes sucked for 3 quarters in the superbowl. Without Williams carrying the load for him throughout most of the game Mahomes would not even have been in the position to bring them back. Dang. And he has Kelce and Hill etc on that team now. What til they want theirs and let's see what happens to KC.

I don't know about figuring him out. The kid is unbelievable. It had to be done, damn the cost. 

That said, the contract will make it hard to build a team. 

1 hour ago, Utilit99 said:

Williams had about 50 yards in the first 3 quarters. He was running all over them. 

5 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I don't know about figuring him out. The kid is unbelievable. It had to be done, damn the cost. 

That said, the contract will make it hard to build a team. 

This is spot on.

I love you Debbie downers.  No one realizes that this is a10 year extension, built into the last two years of his rookie contact? So for the next two years the chiefs are still paying the best QB in the league on a rookie contract.

Or that from here on out, every other QB who signs a contact is going to point to this contact as the starting point.  It's going to make all QB salaries increase, and there is already talk that the salary cap will include a different component just for the qb salaries.

I don't give a damn what you guys think.  He is uber talented.  And look at what other top echelon qbs have done with mediocre talent over the years.  This had to be done, and he's now our QB for the duration of his prime.  You have to be ecstatic as a chiefs fan, and the envy of every other GM in the league right now.

1 minute ago, cmh6476 said:

I love you Debbie downers.  No one realizes that this is a10 year extension, built into the last two years of his rookie contact? So for the next two years the chiefs are still paying the best QB in the league on a rookie contract.

Or that from here on out, every other QB who signs a contact is going to point to this contact as the starting point.  It's going to make all QB salaries increase, and there is already talk that the salary cap will include a different component just for the qb salaries.

I don't give a damn what you guys this.  He is uber talented.  And look at what other top echelon qbs have done with mediocre talent over the years.  This had to be done, and he's now our QB for the duration of his career.  You have to be ecstatic as a chiefs fan, and the envy of every other GM in the league right now.

Tom Brady is on Tampa now. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Tom Brady is on Tampa now. 

yeah and he's not one of the best qbs in the league right now either.  At that point in Mahomes career, give me the next mahomes and let this mahomes go play for vegas.

13 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

Yeah because elite qbs simply don't last.

I'm not saying that he doesn't have the talent.  At this point, I think he's one of the top QB's in the league.  That said, players get hurt all the time, regardless of age.  Also, defenses win championships, not offenses.

In Brees' first year with the Saints, they went to the NFC Championship game.  Remember, he signed a deal that wasn't all that great.  He won a Super Bowl 3 years later, then got paid.  He didn't make the NFC Championship again until 9 years later.  In the 8 seasons in between, they made the playoffs only 4 times and had a 2-4 record in those games.

Joe Flacco won the Super Bowl with the Ravens on a rookie contract and then got paid.  The Ravens then missed the playoffs in 4 of his next 5 seasons.

After Wilson got paid, the Seahawks have been regular post-season attendees, but they've never been a real threats.  Now that Wilson has a bigger deal, and the 9'ers have passed them, Seattle is less and less likely to be regulars in the post season.

After winning the Super Bowl and getting a new deal, Aaron Rodgers hasn't made it to the NFC Championship game until the near end of his deal when he's become more of a value.

Pretty much, after QB's sign a big deal, you can all but guarantee that the team will fail meet expectations for about 4 or 5 years.  The Chiefs should be ok for 1 more year, because it appears that this deal doesn't kick in until after this season (or next season if they don't play this year).  But I can tell you this, after the next played NFL season, the Chiefs will peak as also rans for at least 4 years.

In today's NFL, the best way to handle QB's is to act like a small market MLB team.  After 2 seasons, sign them to a long extension.  Give the player a big signing bonus, in lieu of guaranteed years, and you'll never actually pay the QB his true market value.  He'll always be under paid, based on league trends.  Meaning, you'll have more money to spend on other positions.

The right more for the Chiefs would to have been to give Mahomes a 5 year/$175M extension before last season.  He would have still played last year and this year on a rookie deal and be averaging $35M for the next 5, which will be a bargain after next season.

This is exactly what the Jets and Bills should do.  Today, I'd sign Darnold and Allen to 5 year extensions for $150M.  In lieu of a lot of guaranteed money in specific years, I'd give them a $50M signing bonus.  If each of those teams wait until they enter their 5th year to make a new deal, they'll have to pay an AAV of at least $38M to $40M instead of $30M and will have to have more guaranteed money over those years.  I would do something similar with Mayfield, but smaller numbers.  I don't have the same trust in him as I do the other two.

1 hour ago, cmh6476 said:

yeah and he's not one of the best qbs in the league right now either.  At that point in Mahomes career, give me the next mahomes and let this mahomes go play for vegas.

Only on a long term basis, not short term.  Short term, (2 seasons), I'd take him over pretty much every QB except for... probably Mahomes.  Depending on my team.  I mean, if I'm the Redskins, Lions, Panthers, etc, I don't think I'd want Brady.  But in Tampa, Atlanta, Dallas, Philly, etc, I'd take Mahomes 1, then Brady 2.

As great as Mahomes is, and he is, he had to do everything he could to overcome Andy in all three post season games. I wouldn’t count on that again. 

1 hour ago, cmh6476 said:

I don't give a damn what you guys think.  He is uber talented.  And look at what other top echelon qbs have done with mediocre talent over the years.  This had to be done, and he's now our QB for the duration of his prime.  You have to be ecstatic as a chiefs fan, and the envy of every other GM in the league right now.

Pretty sure everyone knows when the deal kicks in.  Not sure realize that the 2nd year you're talking about, won't be as much of a bargain that you think.  Remember, the Chiefs picked up Mahomes' 5th year option, which would have paid him $25M next year.  This year is the big savings, next year won't be that big.  Also the fact that people do know this contract doesn't kick in until after the 2021 season, is the reason people are more skeptical.  That just makes him even older towards the end.

Just to reiterate what I had just posted, it's not about talent, it's about finances and locking in guaranteed money too far into the future.  It's dangerous.

I don't care one way or the other, just countering points.  We'll all see how it plays out, but what I do know is we have the best QB on the league right now, and he's signed for a long ass time.