Sign in to follow this  
cmh6476

Mahomes signs 10 yr extension

10 hours ago, tanatastic said:

Fine. Even still, that agent did an MVP job with this. Making history with this deal.

I think both sides did well.

9 hours ago, Ray_T said:

well, hes making a hell of a lot of cash.  perhaps more than any person has right to earn.

I do hope hes worth it for KC

Somebody is going to have to make it. The team has to spend a certain amount of money.  QB's have the best chance at a longer career as the injury risk to them is much smaller than other positions.  That said, I do think this kind of deal is a mistake.  I'd never give any player a deal that is longer than 7 years.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Somebody is going to have to make it. The team has to spend a certain amount of money.  QB's have the best chance at a longer career as the injury risk to them is much smaller than other positions.  That said, I do think this kind of deal is a mistake.  I'd never give any player a deal that is longer than 7 years.

yes, but the career for running QB's tends to be a fair bit shorter than that of a drop back passer.

That would be due to the extra hits they take.

That being said, you are correct.  careers are getting to be longer.  maybe that trend will continue.

32 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

yes, but the career for running QB's tends to be a fair bit shorter than that of a drop back passer.

That would be due to the extra hits they take.

That being said, you are correct.  careers are getting to be longer.  maybe that trend will continue.

I don't think he's a "running" QB, but a "scrambling" QB.  Jackson and Watson (to a lesser extent) are, Newton is/was, Vick and Griffen were, running QB's.  I put Mahomes in the McNabb, McNair, Young category.

In Mahomes' career, he's averaging 3.55 rush attempts per game.  Jameis Winston is at 3.44 and Rodgers is at 3.40, Blake Bortles is at 3.63... will anyone consider those 3 guys "running QB's"?  I don't.

1 minute ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I don't think he's a "running" QB, but a "scrambling" QB.  Jackson and Watson (to a lesser extent) are, Newton is/was, Vick and Griffen were, running QB's.  I put Mahomes in the McNabb, McNair, Young category.

In Mahomes' career, he's averaging 3.55 rush attempts per game.  Jameis Winston is at 3.44 and Rodgers is at 3.40, Blake Bortles is at 3.63... will anyone consider those 3 guys "running QB's"?  I don't.

ok that's fair on the rush attempts per game angle.

Maybe the better stat is how many hits they take per game.   Of course, thats a stat I dont know if we could track down.

Cam Newton looks like hes probably done, but hes an extreme case.  Took a LOT of hits.  played behind a terrible line and his running ability bailed out the line on numerous occasions, but he still took way too many hits and now his body is breaking down.

a lot of the QBs on your list actually got injured a fair bit.

Vick, Griffen, McNabb, Steve Young had a long career, but he was often injured.  he had a 3 year stretch where he was healthy, but otherwise missed games every year.  Winston has missed a fair number of games too but I wouldnt go so far as to call him injury prone.

McNabb also missed a fair amount of time due to injury and had a long career, but I truly think he was done by the time he was 30.  after that he was never the same.

McNair wasnt too bad, but seemed to get dinged up.  lots of seasons where he missed at least 1 or 2 games but he did have a long career.

now that I look at this in more detail, maybe we need to look at what the baseline is for QB's.   

it would be interesting to see games missed for running/scrambling QB's vs drop back passers.  I'd like to know the stats on that.

14 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

ok that's fair on the rush attempts per game angle.

Maybe the better stat is how many hits they take per game.   Of course, thats a stat I dont know if we could track down.

Cam Newton looks like hes probably done, but hes an extreme case.  Took a LOT of hits.  played behind a terrible line and his running ability bailed out the line on numerous occasions, but he still took way too many hits and now his body is breaking down.

a lot of the QBs on your list actually got injured a fair bit.

Vick, Griffen, McNabb, Steve Young had a long career, but he was often injured.  he had a 3 year stretch where he was healthy, but otherwise missed games every year.  Winston has missed a fair number of games too but I wouldnt go so far as to call him injury prone.

McNabb also missed a fair amount of time due to injury and had a long career, but I truly think he was done by the time he was 30.  after that he was never the same.

McNair wasnt too bad, but seemed to get dinged up.  lots of seasons where he missed at least 1 or 2 games but he did have a long career.

now that I look at this in more detail, maybe we need to look at what the baseline is for QB's.   

it would be interesting to see games missed for running/scrambling QB's vs drop back passers.  I'd like to know the stats on that.

With Young, you need to remember that he was a regular starter until much later in his career.  A 30 year old is much more likely to get hurt than a 24 year old.  That said, you also have to remember that with Young, and most of McNair and McNabb's careers, they played when the game was rougher and not as safe to QB's like today is.  You sneeze near the QB, and it's a 10 yard penalty.

Winston only missed 3 games due to injury, his thumb, in 2017.  Other than that, he was healthy to play in every other game of his career.  Played all 16 in 2015, 2016, & 2019.  The games missed in 2018 were due to suspension and benching, not health.

To my knowledge, Bortles never missed a game due to injury, just sucking.  Rodgers has missed some games here and there, but has been rather durable and missed significant time in only 2 seasons.  If I remember correctly, both injuries happened in the pocket.  I could be wrong on that one though.

Without real research, you'd be hard pressed to find out why a QB missed games... be it performance, suspension, injury, or playoff position, from just a statistical lookup.

The numbers I gave with rush attempts per game was pretty easy to get.  If you take this pro-football-reference.com search, that'll give you the number of rush attempts by the QB, the games played, and player time frame.  You can calculate in Excel the number of games missed (ambiguously), and the rush attempts per game.

2007 and in 2010 Big Ben avg 5.8 and 5.3 yards per att, was he no longer a scrambling Qb in those seasons? 

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

2007 and in 2010 Big Ben avg 5.8 and 5.3 yards per att, was he no longer a scrambling Qb in those seasons? 

It's not yards per attempt, it's attempt per game.  How often you run is the issue because that indicates how many extra times you're getting hit.  He averaged around 2.5 attempts per game.  That's not a lot.  No one will accuse Tom Brady of being running/scrambling QB and he's averaged 2.1 attempts per game.

Yeah I know, I was just being silly, sorry.  

Should have waited until 2021 to do this deal. They are gonna get zero return this year.

21 hours ago, lod001 said:

Should have waited until 2021 to do this deal. They are gonna get zero return this year.

Who should’ve?  Mahomes or the team?

O by the way KC just signed their best defensive player and top 3 defense lineman in the league to $60 mill guaranteed.  

1 hour ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

Who should’ve?  Mahomes or the team?

O by the way KC just signed their best defensive player and top 3 defense lineman in the league to $60 mill guaranteed.  

Pretty sure he means the team.  I think an issue that the Chiefs might face is the salary cap.  I think it's in the NFL teams' best interest if there's no season.  If there's no season, then the league can use the money from last season to be pushed forward to potentially offset any reductions in the cap.  If they play this season, their profit margin will be much smaller because they're payouts to the players will be the same but income will be less as obviously ticket sales and concessions will be down as well as merchandise sales.

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Pretty sure he means the team.  I think an issue that the Chiefs might face is the salary cap.  I think it's in the NFL teams' best interest if there's no season.  If there's no season, then the league can use the money from last season to be pushed forward to potentially offset any reductions in the cap.  If they play this season, their profit margin will be much smaller because they're payouts to the players will be the same but income will be less as obviously ticket sales and concessions will be down as well as merchandise sales.

Thanks, yes if there is no season that is no question.  Didn’t catch that was what the poster was implying.  

2 hours ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

Thanks, yes if there is no season that is no question.  Didn’t catch that was what the poster was implying.  

I could be wrong though.  I had the same thought he did.  The above was my reasoning.

On 7/6/2020 at 8:39 PM, Bills04 said:

So .. I guess that Franchised KC Defense End won't be getting paid, hunh?  Besides Dak - how about HOU QB?  He's up for a new contract, too.

Wrong.

On 7/14/2020 at 7:37 PM, cmh6476 said:

Wrong.

double wrong :banana:

16 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Obsess much? 

it's slow :(

Yawn.