Sign in to follow this  
Patented Phil

Harvard going 100% online for all of this year

Boom!  

This is crazy.  Everyone is going to follow suit now.  This also is going to mean no college sports until Fall of 2021 at the earliest.  All this and the risk to college aged kids is minimal.  They are more likely to die of flu than COVID-19.  This country is driving right off a cliff.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2020/07/06/harvard-will-hold-all-undergraduate-classes-online-this-fall-and-invite-only-40-of-students-to-campus/#52c88dc92bdd

Campuses will become wastelands and the businesses that were dependant on them will cease to exist. Thanks, Biden.

• Haha 1

Gotta figure there will be a record number of college basketball and football players killed or arrested this fall thru spring.

Hello gap year.  I’m not paying the same price for online learning.  I won’t even pay half price.  This could be what pops the college bubble.

• Like 1

I blame the pampered college Professors and Administrators - many of whom are over 50.  Let’s see if they are willing to take a huge pay cut for their safety.  

4 minutes ago, Patented Phil said:

Hello gap year.  I’m not paying the same price for online learning.  I won’t even pay half price.  This could be what pops the college bubble.

100%, no way I'm paying that tuition for online only classes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reality said:

Me neither. But then again, I wouldn't pay a penny for that type of liberal cult university they got going on over there anyway.

The fact that foreign students, specifically Chinese ones, won’t be able to attend is a huge factor in this. They pay full boat. 

There’s no choice. It was a fantasy to think there’d be college sports and there probably won’t be pro sports either. We'll see how the NBA’s experiment goes but I’d be surprised if it works. Certainly they’ll have a lot invested but if there’s any Covid outbreak they’re done.

Classes being online is b.s. in the sense that who’d want to pay 40 grand a year for some focking university of Phoenix classes? But again, they’ve got no real choice. Will be interesting to see how many students actually take part. I would definitely take a gap year or go in state instead for far cheaper if I were one of their incoming students. Though a gap year would be kinda lame since you can’t do much or travel many places.

Just a sh1tty situation all around.

5 hours ago, Patented Phil said:

One option I am going to look it is seeing if my kid can take online courses at a cheaper school and have those credits transfer in.  Or, the poor bastahd will have to do some hard labor next year.  This would help him eliminate some debt, and perhaps gain some additional appreciation for the value of a college education.  Trying to put a positive spin on this.

This is what all kids should be doing in the first place. Why pay that fvcking tuition to learn basic math calculus, social science, english, or whatever base classes are needed for the degree? Ensure the school of choice will accept the credits from the community college of choice, then go with that approach. You don't need a chinesevirus to teach that lesson. 

6 hours ago, Reality said:

The real racket is internships.

When I was in law school, we did an internship for the summer. Some at the state attorneys office, others with the public defender.

Not only were we working for free the entire summer, which is fine, everyone had to pay full tuition by the credit hour to receive credit for it, despite never setting foot on campus.

Think that summer cost around $9k. Fortunately I was on scholarship, so I didn't care. 

3 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Classes being online is b.s. in the sense that who’d want to pay 40 grand a year for some focking university of Phoenix classes?

Not sure you posted this how you meant to :unsure:

21 minutes ago, SUXBNME said:

Not sure you posted this how you meant to :unsure:

Maybe, I’ve had a few :dunno:

Harvard will have some classes and students on campus. It is for freshmen so they can get them hooked. 

I have friends with soon-to-be freshmen who are pushing for the gap year. No sense paying full price (which is already too much) for a half-ass “education”. I have a HS senior and I hope they get it figured out soon.

5 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Harvard will have some classes and students on campus. It is for freshmen so they can get them hooked. 

I have friends with soon-to-be freshmen who are pushing for the gap year. No sense paying full price (which is already too much) for a half-ass “education”. I have a HS senior and I hope they get it figured out soon.

Same boat, he can take online classes at a local school if they end up being online next year, we aren't dishing out full tuition at some prestigious school for him to take classes from his bedroom.

34 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

The daughter of my wife's best friend will be a sophomore at Harvard this upcoming year.  She's already decided to take a gap year rather than do the entirely online thing. 

1 hour ago, DonS said:

The daughter of my wife's best friend will be a sophomore at Harvard this upcoming year.  She's already decided to take a gap year rather than do the entirely online thing. 

I’ll keep her entertained :wub: