Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

Skills your dad taught you, and skills he had that you wish he'd have taught you

What are some skills your dad taught you?  What are some skills he had that you wish he'd have taught you?

He taught me hunting, fishing, camping, cleaning animals, etc.

I wish he would have taught me more about fixing cars, but it was my mom that helped me change an alternator and a starter on my crappy 400 dollar car when I was a teenager. My dad knows nothing about wrenching on a car.

Stop crying, nobody cares, work harder.....

• Like 1

Fishing, guns, changing oil, baseball, work ethic, evaluating chicks for level of craziness.  

Oil was about all he did, but that got started on a mechanic patch.

taught me about work ethic, attention to detail, and sports.

My grandfather was an electrician. Both my father and grandfather are/were very handy around the house.  I am not bottom of the barrel, but wish I learned more from both of them.

My father was an electrician...  I wish I watched him a lot more...

My father is a loser and a bum. He’s GFIAFP 1.0. The only thing he taught me was to fear turning into him. 

Oh, edit, break the crackers in the plastic bag before putting them in your soup. 

My dad taught me how to be a dad.   That seemed to work out ok.  Can't complain.  Taught me enough to do general home maintenance without having to pay someone.  Worked out well.

Neither my dad nor my stepdad ever bothered to teach me a damn thing. 

First time I needed to tie a Windsor not, he wouldn't help.  I struggled through, and asked him if he looked okay.  He says, "no," and went back to doing whatever he was doing.

14 minutes ago, nobody said:

Neither my dad nor my stepdad ever bothered to teach me a damn thing. 

First time I needed to tie a Windsor not, he wouldn't help.  I struggled through, and asked him if he looked okay.  He says, "no," and went back to doing whatever he was doing.

Bender?

4 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

He taught me hunting, fishing, camping, cleaning animals, etc.

I wish he would have taught me more about fixing cars, but it was my mom that helped me change an alternator and a starter on my crappy 400 dollar car when I was a teenager. My dad knows nothing about wrenching on a car.

This...My dad was handy as hell...taught me alot of home stuff...but I wish I learned more about cars.  I can do brakes and oil...but thats about it.

My dad was a stickler for manners. Mamn and sir. How to shake hands properly. How to tie a tie. Table manners.

When I went on my first date, he made me practice meeting her parents on him and mom before I left the house.

Good things to learn. So many people didn't.

My grandfather owned an auto body shop and was extremely handy around the house. Wish I had learned more from him. More my fault than his. 

5 hours ago, RLLD said:

Stop crying, nobody cares, work harder.....

My dad did the same. He didn't care what I did except that he wanted for me to be productive in my life and get stuff done. 

He led by example more than anything. If he didn't know how to do something, he would work at it until he figured it out. He had to as he had 8 kids to raise and that was about all his budget could handle. My mother tirelessly kept the home in order and the kids fed. My dad would stay up nights working on the cars, the home improvements or repairs, the financials, you name it. The only thing he refused to do himself was wallpapering and plumbing. That being said, he did manage to put in a couple sump pumps in our basement over the years.

My dad was pretty old by the time I came around. pretty much when he went to do a project, it was to get the hell away from a soul-sucking wife and family life in general. my first two brothers pretty much wore him out.From an early age I understood that. Wasn't personal. He did his thing I did mine.

We met up on Tuesdays to watch MASH. 

Dad could whistle pretty good though. Whole generation could do like harmonies and melodies all at the same time. That's pretty much a lost art now. But then again, we have Mumble rap. Whatever the hell that is.

Miss you you grumpy old son of a b****.

Taught me a lot of outdoor skills, which I greatly appreciate.

Didn’t teach me much in the way of being handy around the house, but I can live with that.

Mostly I wish he’d taught me to bang more chicks, which I will pass on to my kids. Grew up during the whole if you have casual sex you’ll get AIDS and die or you’ll at least get chlamydia and your d1ck will fall off scare. :(

One other thing...be respectful of alcohol.  A few PBRs on Sunday watching the game or NASCAR a the occasional glass of wine or drink.  I never saw him act stupid or drive.  

4 hours ago, vuduchile said:

How to throw, catch, hit, shoot, pass and kick various balls.  

Karate? :dunno:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

When I went on my first date, he made me practice meeting her parents on him and mom before I left the house.

Aren’t you from Tennessee? Did you have to practice the rest of the date with your sister?

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

taught me about work ethic, attention to detail, and sports.

My grandfather was an electrician. Both my father and grandfather are/were very handy around the house.  I am not bottom of the barrel, but wish I learned more from both of them.

Grandpa was a carpenter. He built houses, stores, and banks. 

My dad is a very good handyman.  He can work on cars, plumbing, electrical wiring, woodworking, poured his own driveway, grow crops, etc.

He never actively tried to teach me any of it, but I usually had to come along and help him, so I picked up quite a bit just from observation.  I seem to share his spatial contextual awareness in that I can look at a broken piece of machinery and generally understand how it works and what steps might be taken to fix it, which seems pretty rare.  If the toilet guts break down, I can repair it and I was never taught how.  Or if the garbage disposal breaks down, I generally know what I'm looking at and will repair it.  A lot of people seem terrified of machines for some reason and will spend hundreds or thousands to fix a simple job.  If I had to, I could probably repair wiring or rewire a room with heavier gauge wire to support something that draws a lot of power like a space heater or something but it never really comes up.

Dad didn't know crap about cars, lawn care, or maintenance.  So I don't know sh*t.   

The little I do know I learned the hard way on my own.  Dad paid others to fix.  I fix until my fixing don't fix.

Nothing, never met him. Couple of worthless stepdad's along the way. Oldest of three boys, learned what I know on my own.

Glad YouTube came along 15 years ago.

6 minutes ago, Reality said:

Nothing, never met him. Couple of worthless stepdad's along the way. Oldest of three boys, learned what I know on my own.

Glad YouTube came along 15 years ago.

Before youtube, I believe most people would buy VHS videotapes on handyman type issues.  Before that, there were some good detailed books.

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Three-1960s-Books-Practical-Handbook-of-Plumbing-Carpentry-Concrete/555326859