Sign in to follow this  
Cloaca du jour

Thinking of switching from mask to neck gaiter.

Could wear all day and pull up when needed.  Trying a couple diff brands.  Anyone use one?  

Just now, Cloaca du jour said:

Could wear all day and pull up when needed.  Trying a couple diff brands.  Anyone use one?  

Yeah, I have a neck gaiter.  Bought it last year to deal with all the dust at Aftershock Festival in Sacramento (TOOL, baby! :pointstosky:

Ironic that something I bought for a concert is now being used for something that has now cancelled/postponed 6 concerts on me. :mad:

• Like 1

Just now, TimmySmith said:

I found a couple of old short sleeve t-shirts, cut the sleeves off them.  Done.

You must have gigantic arms if you can fit a t-shirt sleeve over your head!!!

Just now, DonS said:

You must have gigantic arms if you can fit a t-shirt sleeve over your head!!!

Guns!  Really those old cotton shirts are so stretched out, it's not a problem.  

I have neck gaiters that I use fishing all the time.  Haven't used them for anything else though.

2 minutes ago, The Elevator Killer said:

Or maybe he has a tiny head.

Zika virus?

My state does not allow you to have your face covered while carrying a concealed firearm. No mask unless I am in a tree stand and then I use one of these

I have no problem with them staying up. I use the below when fishing offshore and have 5-6 of them. I can only wear them for about 2-3 hours at a time in 100 degree heat before they get too disgusting and I have to change them out.

I wear long sleeve shirts when fishing as well.

https://pelagicgear.com/collections/fishing-neck-gaiters/products/sunshield-dorado-hex-blue

I use a mask that work provided to me. It's the blue/white surgical looking type. I cut the inner two layers out of it, so it looks like I am in compliance, but quite a bit of air gets through it.

3 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

I have no problem with them staying up. I use the below when fishing offshore and have 5-6 of them. I can only wear them for about 2-3 hours at a time in 100 degree heat before they get too disgusting and I have to change them out.

I wear long sleeve shirts when fishing as well.

https://pelagicgear.com/collections/fishing-neck-gaiters/products/sunshield-dorado-hex-blue

For some reason that previous link no longer works. Below is what I use ad it is comfortable.

https://retailcomparison.com/product/Pelagic-Sunshield-for-Men-Dorado-Hex-Green.html

a nice long neck beard to pull over your face would be nice

I bought some from SA online. Keep one in the car. Pretty handy. I like em. 

Neck gaiters may actually increase COVID-19 transmission, study finds

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/neck-gaiters-may-actually-increase-covid-19-transmission-study-finds-183034882.html

The U.S. hit another grim milestone on Monday with more than 5 million Americans now infected with the coronavirus. Although there is a push to increase testing and develop a vaccine, experts continue to suggest that if all Americans wore masks, the pandemic could be brought under control “within weeks.” In the spirit of that mission, a new study published in Science Advances is shedding light on which masks are most effective — and which may actually be hurting the effort to curb COVID-19.

The analysis, carried out by researchers at Duke University School of Medicine, relied on an “optimal measurement method” that uses a laser beam and cellphone camera to track the number of droplets that emerged from an individual while he or she wore a mask. Of the 14 masks, the two that proved least effective were a bandanna and what the researchers refer to as a neck fleece, also known as a neck gaiter.

The most secure mask, an N95, led to a droplet transmission of below 0.1 percent. But handmade cotton and polypropylene masks, some of which were made from apron material, also proved effective, with droplet transmission ranging from 0.1 percent to 0.4 percent. One mask, which was knitted, released a higher number of droplets, from 0.1 percent to 0.6 percent. But none of the masks compared with the neck fleece, which had 110 percent droplet transmission (10 percent higher than not wearing a mask).

Researchers tested 14 commonly worn masks to see which are most effective. Both neck fleeces and bandanas proved ineffective. (Photo: Duke University School of Medicine).

The researchers explain how these masks may actually spread more of the virus than not wearing one at all. “We noticed that speaking through some masks (particularly the neck fleece) seemed to disperse the largest droplets into a multitude of smaller droplets ... which explains the apparent increase in droplet count relative to no mask in that case,” they write. These small droplets could prove extremely dangerous in terms of transmission. “Considering that smaller particles are airborne longer than large droplets (larger droplets sink faster), the use of such a mask might be counterproductive,” they add.

Dr. Amesh Adalja, a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, says the study is an important one for Americans to consider. “People really don’t understand that not all face coverings are equal, and that there are some that are going to be more or less effective,” says Adalja. “And I think that when you’re making these decisions, it’s important to have data behind them.”

Given the rate of droplet transmission from neck fleeces and bandannas, he suggests that Americans move away from both coverings immediately. “I do think they should be abandoned, especially given that gaiters were shown to increase transmission,” says Adalja. “Not every mask is going to be equivalent. ... I think that many people are just wearing these face coverings to check a box and not realizing that in order to serve a purpose they need to be effective.”

For those who are still confused about why masks are necessary, he notes that asymptomatic spread is one of the most important factors to keep in mind. “There are many people out there that don’t know that they’re infected, and the face coverings are one way to give people the assurance that there is some source control going on,” says Adalja. “If everybody knew their status, that would be a different story, but the fact of the matter is most people don’t know whether they’re infected or not.”

Better testing, Adalja adds, would potentially lessen the need for masks. But until then, they’re vitally important to stopping the pandemic. “If we have rapid tests that we can know the minute we step outside whether we’re infected or not, that's one thing, but we’re not anywhere near that,” says Adalja. “So for now, this is the measure we’re left with.”

On 7/7/2020 at 5:23 PM, Old School said:

I bought some from SA online. Keep one in the car. Pretty handy. I like em. 

Same here. Better than a mask over the ears 

11 minutes ago, jocstrap said:

I want my mask to say

masks suck 

Saw one last week that said This Mask is Worthless 

17 minutes ago, Old School said:

Saw one last week that said This Mask is Worthless 

Excellent!  I want two more masks now

1 - this mask sucks

2 - this mask is worthless 

Wait if my face mask says “this face mask sucks”

yo that sounds like joc wanting to give bj’s.  Not happening here in jocstraps world after 23 years of marriage and 3 kids.  “Face masks suck”. Is no longer on option.  

I only wear a mask indoors at public places like the grocery store or Home Depot.  Why would I wear one anywhere else, especially outside?   I just by those disposable blue ones and throw them away after one use....I ain't washing shiot and I find all the personalized masks with pictures and logos ghey.  Gah, might as well bedazzle them.