Rusty Syringes

gratefulted is dead

No joke here.

He'd not been heard from recently regarding a league, and today it was posted on his Facebook page that he died June 12. He last posted on Facebook in April.

From what I knew of him - and I spent a couple days hanging out with him sometime around 2004 - he was a very sweet, gentle, hippy kind of guy.

From what I remember, he worked as a baggage handler for American Airlines, hurt his back and went on disability. I have some memory of tragedy in his life regarding his wife and perhaps a child, killed in a car accident.

His health recently has been up and down, from what I understand. 

I met him and torridjoe in Seattle sometime around 2004. They came up from Portland to visit. We partied and then went and watched some football the next day at a sports bar, and an old Geek named flipya4real joined us. 

Obviously he loved The Grateful Dead. And weed. 

He was like the wonderfully strange uncle you wanted to hang out with more than you got a chance to.

That's the best I can do on his obituary here.

Hopefully some of you Silverbacks can fill in the gaps.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

RIP Ted. :(

Also, it's good to see you poke your nose in here every now and then, Rusty.

I remember him from his posts.  Did not know him at all though.  Sad to hear. 

Damn, I'm really sorry to hear that.

No one should have to endure meeting you AND torrid Joe.

☹️

• Haha 1

RIP Ted.   Never met him in person, but was in several FF leagues with him, always seemed to be a stand up guy.  

Been playing FF with/against Ted for 20+ years. RIP 😞

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bill E. said:

I remember him from his posts.  Did not know him at all though.  Sad to hear. 

Same here.  That’s a shame.

Just saw this as well :(

Yup... don't know that I chatted him up much... sucks.  I'll have to figure out some way for you guys to know.  Maybe we need a buddy system?  Haven't heard from or see your assigned buddy post in long minute?  Maybe reach out.  You give your buddy your info... etc.  Break glass in case type .

• Like 1

I posted this on that Facebook post...

Sending condolences from missouri.  We got to know each other through a fantasy football message board.  My brother passed away at 22 in 2004 and I posted some info about a concert festival ticket of his I used and heard tedeschi trucks right after he passed.  They played "for my brother" and I saw my brother's name in the clouds during that performance.  Ted sent me a DVD ROM with that song and a bunch of Dead and other great music to remember my brother.  We really didn't even know each other but that act of kindness really made an impression on me.  Not having met, I look forward to the opportunity to do so on the other side.

Takes me back. Remember him as a good dude, which is how I'll remember everyone here. RIP

Who?  RIP

Does anyone know what he died from?  I know that his health wasn't all that great to begin with...  Did COVID get him??

16 minutes ago, posty said:

Does anyone know what he died from?  I know that his health wasn't all that great to begin with...  Did COVID get him??

I think he had been recovering from cancer...it seemed like he was doing fairly well though when we started drafting for homers.  Two years ago he sent me a message saying he was seeing the Dirty Heads at the Oregon County Fair :headbanger:

a fitting tribute!

Ted was part of the June Mock Draft at FFToday for a number of years. Those of us who have participated in that for the past 20 years or so remember him well. Like others have said, seemed like an absolutely terrific guy. Sorry to hear of his passing. 

• Like 1

Thanks for letting us know Rusty.  

RIP Ted 😦  Like rubaniak, I was in a few FF leagues with him.  Tried to meet up with him and Torrid years ago on a trip to Portland, but didn't work out.  

13 hours ago, Rusty Syringes said:

No joke here.

He'd not been heard from recently regarding a league, and today it was posted on his Facebook page that he died June 12. He last posted on Facebook in April.

From what I knew of him - and I spent a couple days hanging out with him sometime around 2004 - he was a very sweet, gentle, hippy kind of guy.

From what I remember, he worked as a baggage handler for American Airlines, hurt his back and went on disability. I have some memory of tragedy in his life regarding his wife and perhaps a child, killed in a car accident.

His health recently has been up and down, from what I understand. 

I met him and torridjoe in Seattle sometime around 2004. They came up from Portland to visit. We partied and then went and watched some football the next day at a sports bar, and an old Geek named flipya4real joined us. 

Obviously he loved The Grateful Dead. And weed. 

He was like the wonderfully strange uncle you wanted to hang out with more than you got a chance to.

That's the best I can do on his obituary here.

Hopefully some of you Silverbacks can fill in the gaps.

So sorry for your loss :( 

he sounds like he was a great guy

awesome geek name as well

Years ago, Ted burned me a crazy number of CDs from his music collection. I still listen to them to this day. He sent a lot of bootlegs, including a mountain of Beatles outtakes. I don't know where he got it all. Must have cost him a fortune in postage to mail it. He was a totally selfless, shirt-off-his-back kind of guy. 

• Like 2

Only knew him from the Homers league, and thought we'd be fighting over Manny Moochado for years to come.  This is not how I wanted to win.  😫

12 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Yup... don't know that I chatted him up much... sucks.  I'll have to figure out some way for you guys to know.  Maybe we need a buddy system?  Haven't heard from or see your assigned buddy post in long minute?  Maybe reach out.  You give your buddy your info... etc.  Break glass in case type .

still no Filthy sighting since January..he was posting constantly until he went mia

1 hour ago, HTH said:

Hey Rusty!

Where have you been?

I moved from Buttmont to Tyler in 2008. Got divorced in 2011. (Her idea, but life is much better.) Got laid off from the crapass newspaper here in 2014. Worked for a non-profit briefly and now work in the financial services industry, which I wish I'd gotten into years ago. Remarried in 2013 to a yoga instructor. Rusty II graduated from high school and is going to study sound engineering in college. Rusty III is a junior. My wife and I have gotten into rescuing and fostering cats. We've adopted out more than 120 of them the past two years and currently have 27 fosters, most of them in our garage temporarily while a headquarters for our non-profit is being built. It's fun to go out there at night and watch 'em focking with each other. Wildly entertaining. I keep up with a lot of Geeks on Facebook but kind of miss this place and a lot of you guys. I know, rat's ass, but there it is!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Rusty Syringes said:

Years ago, Ted burned me a crazy number of CDs from his music collection. I still listen to them to this day. He sent a lot of bootlegs, including a mountain of Beatles outtakes. I don't know where he got it all. Must have cost him a fortune in postage to mail it. He was a totally selfless, shirt-off-his-back kind of guy. 

I collect bootlegs. It's much easier with the internet to find them. How have you been Rusty? I hope everything is going well for you. 

7 minutes ago, Rusty Syringes said:

I moved from Buttmont to Tyler in 2008. Got divorced in 2011. (Her idea, but life is much better.) Got laid off from the crapass newspaper here in 2014. Worked for a non-profit briefly and now work in the financial services industry, which I wish I'd gotten into years ago. Remarried in 2013 to a yoga instructor. Rusty II graduated from high school and is going to study sound engineering in college. Rusty III is a junior. My wife and I have gotten into rescuing and fostering cats. We've adopted out more than 120 of them the past two years and currently have 27 fosters, most of them in our garage temporarily while a headquarters for our non-profit is being built. It's fun to go out there at night and watch 'em focking with each other. Wildly entertaining. I keep up with a lot of Geeks on Facebook but kind of miss this place and a lot of you guys. I know, rat's ass, but there it is!

Great having you back! 

Thanks for the update!!

:thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Rusty Syringes said:

Good for you Rusty. I used to work for a rescue group. I had to stop because I ended up wanting to keep everything I fostered. I hope you decided to visit more often. A lot of us miss you too. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Elevator Killer said:

Good for you Rusty. I used to work for a rescue group. I had to stop because I ended up wanting to keep everything I fostered. I hope you decided to visit more often. A lot of us miss you too. 

We have six cats of our own, but only one of those is a "foster fail," meaning we just kept him. The poor focker's family moved and left him behind on the street, where he spent his time brawling for survival and crying out for the people who abandoned him. His head is all scarred, his coat isn't so great and he has FIV (the cat version of HIV), but once we got him fixed, he became the sweetest cat in the house. It's pretty bittersweet with the adoptions on the ones we get attached to. And we've had some real heartbreakers who died on us or had to be put to sleep, like two siblings who had FIP, which is a nasty thing in cats. But the success stories keep us going.

1 minute ago, Rusty Syringes said:

We have six cats of our own, but only one of those is a "foster fail," meaning we just kept him. The poor focker's family moved and left him behind on the street, where he spent his time brawling for survival and crying out for the people who abandoned him. His head is all scarred, his coat isn't so great and he has FIV (the cat version of HIV), but once we got him fixed, he became the sweetest cat in the house. It's pretty bittersweet with the adoptions on the ones we get attached to. And we've had some real heartbreakers who died on us or had to be put to sleep, like two siblings who had FIP, which is a nasty thing in cats. But the success stories keep us going.

Yeah, the good does out weigh the bad. I was working for a Radio Station at the time we got started with the rescue and I arranged for rescue groups to come on once a week and talk about their org and animals up for adoption. We were affiliated with a local news channel and they picked up the idea and did it daily. They helped a lot a animals find homes. It was the weather guy who was doing it and he ended up committing suicide and that was the end of them working with rescue groups.