Sign in to follow this  
Baseball players opting out of the 2020 MLB season...

Will update list when one is announced...

Welington Castillo, C, WAS
Lorenzo Cain, OF, MIL
Yoenis Cespedes, OF, NYM
Tim Collins, P, COL
Ian Desmond, OF, COL
Isan Diaz, 2B, MIA
Felix Hernandez, P, ATL
Jordan Hicks, P, STL
Michael Kopech, P, CWS
Mike Leake, P, ARI
Nick Markakis, OF, ATL
Collin McHugh, P, BOS
Hector Noesi, P, PIT
Buster Posey, C, SF
David Price, P, LAD
Joe Ross, P, WAS
Tyson Ross, P, SF
Kohl Stewart, P, BAL
Mark Zagunis, OF, CHC
Ryan Zimmerman, 1B, WAS

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/07/players-opting-out-of-2020-season.html

Sucks for Markakis.  My man has an outside outside chance at 3,000 hits.  

No surprise. They will cancel their season soon. NFL will follow as soon as they sing the black national anthem.

NO SPORTS In 2020.  Well at least no sports will finish. They may get on the field/rink/court for a minute,. but no chance they finish in 2020

Just now, edjr said:

NO SPORTS In 2020.  Well at least no sports will finish. They may get on the field/rink/court for a minute,. but no chance they finish in 2020

EdEx will finish. The king of sports. :pointstosky: . 

Just now, lod001 said:

EdEx will finish. The king of sports. :pointstosky: . 

PGA has tougher players than MLB and NBA

2 hours ago, Mookz said:

Sucks for Markakis.  My man has an outside outside chance at 3,000 hits.  

Yeah, way outside.  He's 4 good seasons away.

3 hours ago, lod001 said:

No surprise. They will cancel their season soon. NFL will follow as soon as they sing the black national anthem.

I have to agree.  This country has no appetite for risk. We’d rather die slowly in a depression.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Yeah, way outside.  He's 4 good seasons away.

Yup.  If my man coulda got like 50 this year, he'd need four more seasons averaging 150, at which point he'd be 41.

My baseball fantasy draft keeps getting pushed back but I guess its still on.  Nice to see a list of names I can skip.

1 hour ago, riversco said:

My baseball fantasy draft keeps getting pushed back but I guess its still on.  Nice to see a list of names I can skip.

Posey is the only one thats significant

As long as they don't cancel the TDF I'm happy.  

17 hours ago, Mookz said:

Yup.  If my man coulda got like 50 this year, he'd need four more seasons averaging 150, at which point he'd be 41.

Well, 150 or 160 isn't that big of a difference.  He's been around that over the last 4 years.  Good luck to him.  I don't think he'd have done it anyway, even if the virus never hit, but I hope he does it.  I have no ill feelings towards him.

NO PRO SPORTS until 2021 

:wave:

Bruce Arians sees the writing on the wall.

Arians told the Tampa Bay Times on Monday. "The players, they’re going to all get sick, that’s for sure. It’s just a matter of how sick they get."

Goodell in total denial as he wants to sing the black national anthem.

On 7/10/2020 at 5:23 PM, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Posey is the only one thats significant

I love posey and don’t mind him sitting out individually. I was more concerned about him being a team leader and having other giants follow.

4 hours ago, edjr said:

NO PRO SPORTS until 2021 

:wave:

We're less than two weeks away from based ball, are you sticking with that?  :o

Or do you still get credit if the season starts but doesn't finish?  🤔

They can teach school...its gonna be safe...Devos said so on cnn today

11 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

They can teach school...its gonna be safe...Devos said so on cnn today

Excellent interview. I love how when she brings up Europe there is no follow up. I guess European kids have different bio chemistry than ours. 

40 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Excellent interview. I love how when she brings up Europe there is no follow up. I guess European kids have different bio chemistry than ours. 

well they are whiter (for now) and we know that the covid is racist so there is that

5 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

well they are whiter (for now) and we know that the covid is racist so there is that

They don’t care. It’s all about them and their politics. 

Updated list with a couple more...

Eleven umpires have opted out...

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/11-mlb-umpires-have-opted-out-of-2020-season-per-report/

A total of 11 umpires have opted out of the 2020 MLB season, Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports. As Heyman writes, some of the umpires who are opting out "are said to have family members who are ill."

The 2020 season is set to begin on July 23, which is almost four months after the originally scheduled Opening Day of March 26. The delay is because of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Since COVID-19 can be especially dangerous to older demographics and those with pre-existing health conditions like diabetes and asthma, that multiple umpires have thought better of participating isn't particularly surprising. Like MLB players, umpires with pre-existing conditions that make them more prone to COVID-related complications can opt out of the 2020 season while still being paid. It's not clear how many of the 11 umpires meet those requirements. 

According to this list at MLB.com, there are 91 current MLB umpires, which means roughly 12 percent of the MLB umpiring workforce has opted out. MLB had planned to use 19 full umpiring crews this season, which means a total of 76 umpires. If indeed just 80 umpires are participating in the 2020 season, then that's very little cushion for in-season attrition, routine or otherwise. That said, any number of minor-league umpires are likely available for duty given that the minor league season for 2020 has been canceled.

Veteran umpire Joe West confirmed last week that he will be working during the 2020 season, while also saying he didn't "believe" that the reported number of COVID-19 deaths were all related to the virus. The MLB umpires union issued a statement distancing itself from West after the comments.

So we decided to go forward with our fantasy season. I was the last one to say yes, didn’t want to be a party pooper. People are bored.  It’s going to be a complete cluster. At least we cut the league fee in half. 

20 minutes ago, posty said:

Eleven umpires have opted out...

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/11-mlb-umpires-have-opted-out-of-2020-season-per-report/

A total of 11 umpires have opted out of the 2020 MLB season, Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports. As Heyman writes, some of the umpires who are opting out "are said to have family members who are ill."

The 2020 season is set to begin on July 23, which is almost four months after the originally scheduled Opening Day of March 26. The delay is because of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Since COVID-19 can be especially dangerous to older demographics and those with pre-existing health conditions like diabetes and asthma, that multiple umpires have thought better of participating isn't particularly surprising. Like MLB players, umpires with pre-existing conditions that make them more prone to COVID-related complications can opt out of the 2020 season while still being paid. It's not clear how many of the 11 umpires meet those requirements. 

According to this list at MLB.com, there are 91 current MLB umpires, which means roughly 12 percent of the MLB umpiring workforce has opted out. MLB had planned to use 19 full umpiring crews this season, which means a total of 76 umpires. If indeed just 80 umpires are participating in the 2020 season, then that's very little cushion for in-season attrition, routine or otherwise. That said, any number of minor-league umpires are likely available for duty given that the minor league season for 2020 has been canceled.

Veteran umpire Joe West confirmed last week that he will be working during the 2020 season, while also saying he didn't "believe" that the reported number of COVID-19 deaths were all related to the virus. The MLB umpires union issued a statement distancing itself from West after the comments.

I wonder if that opens the door for some minor league umps to jump to the bigs. 

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

So we decided to go forward with our fantasy season. I was the last one to say yes, didn’t want to be a party pooper. People are bored.  It’s going to be a complete cluster. At least we cut the league fee in half. 

We were all wondering about this

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nospk said:

:lol: :lol:

40 minutes ago, nospk said:

Touché 

21 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

when a player is drafted and you write it on the big board, do you write that name in a box or a square?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, edjr said:

when a player is drafted and you write it on the big board, do you write that name is a box or a square?

A box, of course. We aren’t doofus Hicks. 

Its a total joke that they think they are going to play.

5 hours ago, lod001 said:

Its a total joke that they think they are going to play.

I’ve watched parts of 2 exhibition games on tv tonight.  Doesn’t seem too complicated to me.  

I think most of the country will move into “just live with it” mode  pretty soon. 

Cases are up but deaths are down right?  

Beaches and restaurants are packed around here.   Some are wearing masks but nobody is staying 6’ apart   

8 hours ago, vuduchile said:

I’ve watched parts of 2 exhibition games on tv tonight.  Doesn’t seem too complicated to me.  

I think most of the country will move into “just live with it” mode  pretty soon. 

Cases are up but deaths are down right?  

Beaches and restaurants are packed around here.   Some are wearing masks but nobody is staying 6’ apart   

Oh, I think they are close to being able to treat it but the left needs this to be an issue up to the election. The NFL wusses will bow to them as will the NBA.

Can you, at this point with what we know, imagine being a football player and not wanting to play, losing millions? The younger generations are getting dumber and dumber. Thanks college! 

Baseball is the safest sport to play.  It requires very little interaction among people/players.  Outside of the batter and catcher and first basemen and runner, direct interaction is very sparse.  Even the coaches boxes are 15' away from the foul line.  So even when there's a runner on first or third, you could have the coach wear a mask while talking to the player.  Aside from that, he's far enough away to appease the "social distancing" policies.  Heck they can even eliminate the home plate umpire this year, if they want, in order to keep the personal proximity down.  Just have him stand outside the circle until there's a play at the plate.

I can understand Canada not wanted people crossing the national boundary, and I agree with it.  But, because there isn't going to fans at the games, they can play at any venue.  There's no minor league baseball, so as the article that @Mike Honcho posted stated, the Blue Jays can play in Buffalo at their minor league ball park.  The field dimensions aren't really all that different that the Rodgers Centre.

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Baseball is the safest sport to play.  It requires very little interaction among people/players.  Outside of the batter and catcher and first basemen and runner, direct interaction is very sparse.  Even the coaches boxes are 15' away from the foul line.  So even when there's a runner on first or third, you could have the coach wear a mask while talking to the player.  Aside from that, he's far enough away to appease the "social distancing" policies.  Heck they can even eliminate the home plate umpire this year, if they want, in order to keep the personal proximity down.  Just have him stand outside the circle until there's a play at the plate.

I can understand Canada not wanted people crossing the national boundary, and I agree with it.  But, because there isn't going to fans at the games, they can play at any venue.  There's no minor league baseball, so as the article that @Mike Honcho posted stated, the Blue Jays can play in Buffalo at their minor league ball park.  The field dimensions aren't really all that different that the Rodgers Centre.

I read that the locker room in Buffalo is not big enough so they are considering using suites for players to use instead 

1 minute ago, nospk said:

I read that the locker room in Buffalo is not big enough so they are considering using suites for players to use instead 

Makes sense.  I don't think they're lacking in options.  With no fans and less need for other resources at the facility, they can find way to be creative and address the situation.