Sign in to follow this  
Baseball players opting out of the 2020 MLB season...

On 7/16/2020 at 12:48 PM, Hardcore troubadour said:

So we decided to go forward with our fantasy season. I was the last one to say yes, didn’t want to be a party pooper. People are bored.  It’s going to be a complete cluster. At least we cut the league fee in half. 

Why cut it in half? Everyone still has the same chance at getting lucky

I know you guys have been waiting for this, so here are my FRESH draft results.  Just completed 2 hours ago.  14 teams.  I drafted 10th.  I had traded some draft picks last year and acquired other draft picks so that I didn't have picks in round 5, 10, and 19  but had an extra 7th, 8th and 12th.

Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IL, IL, IL, IL, IL, NA
Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Hits (H), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Walks (BB), Strikeouts (K), Total Bases (TB), Errors (E), Batting Average (AVG), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS)
Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Losses (L), Saves (SV), Walks (BB), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Quality Starts (QS)

Keepers: Corey Bellinger, Juan Soto, Jose Altuve

1. (10) Cody Bellinger 1B,OF
2. (19) Juan Soto OF
3. (38) Jose Altuve 2B
4. (47) Xander Bogaerts SS
5. (75) Eddie Rosario OF
6. (88) Corey Kluber SP
7. (94) Carlos Santana 1B
8. (103) Frankie Montas SP
9. (110) Madison Bumgarner SP
10. (122) Justin Turner 3B
11. (150) Yadier Molina C
12. (159) Yuli Gurriel 1B,3B
13. (167) Ian Kennedy RP
14. (178) Hunter Dozier 1B,3B,OF
15. (187) Marcus Stroman SP
16. (206) Aaron Civale SP
17. (215) Luis Arraez 2B,3B,OF
18. (234) Sean Murphy C
19. (243) Dakota Hudson SP
20. (271) Sergio Romo RP

Next season I'm already eyeing Eddie Rosario replacing Altuve as my 3rd keeper.  Glad to snag him.

MLB is a joke thinking they could play out of their home parks. DUMB!  NFL is dumb too.

Rockies LHP Tim Collins has opted out...

On 7/19/2020 at 3:12 PM, Frozenbeernuts said:

Why cut it in half? Everyone still has the same chance at getting lucky

because covid increases the degree of luck dramatically.  If their league wanted to maintain their typical fees that's fine, but I think it is very reasonable to reduce fees due to random loss of players for quarantine. I am happy I have no marlins, but I am slightly impacted by my 2 Yankees.

So Nick Markakis is rejoining the Braves...  For some reason I thought once they opted out, they were out, but I guess not...

8 minutes ago, posty said:

So Nick Markakis is rejoining the Braves...  For some reason I thought once they opted out, they were out, but I guess not...

I'm only guessing, but he was probably waiting to see how things were going to shape up before he wanted to make a decision.  His thinking may have been to let the team know in advance that he was out, so that they can prepare, but join back up if things looked ok.  Better than joining the team and then cutting out after the league started.  Really, outside of an isolated Marlins issue, the first week of games seemed to have gone well.

Marlins being investigated for not abiding by Covid protocols. 

14 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Marlins being investigated for not abiding by Covid protocols. 

The players, organization... or both?

24 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I’d assume the players.  All the clubs have the same protocols, but they could have been lax/cheap. MLB is doing the investigation, so factor that in. They  investigated the Red Sox for cheating too and let them skate. 

Kohl Stewart, P, BAL added to the list...

On 7/30/2020 at 8:28 AM, TBayXXXVII said:

The way this clown show is going down, I would assume they are investigating the actual fish.

I guess Trout wants his money after all and doesn't give a chit about his family :dunno:

On 8/3/2020 at 5:02 PM, posty said:

Shelby Miller has opted out...

That's a win for the Brewers.  He blows.

In other news, after 11 games, the Pirates 2-9 record (.182 winning %), is worst in baseball.  Saw that coming.

3 minutes ago, Patented Phil said:

I haven’t watched one single pitch, and this coming from a guy who used to watch the Red Sox every single night.  All the political garbage completely turned me off.

Well, you may have people here  tell you that’s just not true. 

Chris Davis will remain in the lineup but has opted out of contributing in any way.  🤔

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Well, you may have people here  tell you that’s just not true. 

Business School 101 - broaden your customer base to increase revenue.  Look at the NFL.  They have gone to extraordinary lengths over the years trying to do this. They have played games in London and Mexico trying to open up the international market. They have gone pink trying to appeal to women.  They even embraced fantasy football, though it took them way too long to figure that one out.  They have invested millions of dollars and a huge amount of time and effort to bring in new fans.  And after all that - they completely go against that core business practice by allowing divisive politics into the game - guaranteed to alienate millions of their core fans.  I’ll never understand it.  

3 hours ago, Patented Phil said:

Business School 101 - broaden your customer base to increase revenue.  Look at the NFL.  They have gone to extraordinary lengths over the years trying to do this. They have played games in London and Mexico trying to open up the international market. They have gone pink trying to appeal to women.  They even embraced fantasy football, though it took them way too long to figure that one out.  They have invested millions of dollars and a huge amount of time and effort to bring in new fans.  And after all that - they completely go against that core business practice by allowing divisive politics into the game - guaranteed to alienate millions of their core fans.  I’ll never understand it.  

That last part happened because they are afraid of being called raciss.