Sign in to follow this  
vuduchile

My son pitched for the first time last night

Up until last night, he'd never pitched in a game.  His younger brother started, went 3 innings and gave up 3 runs.  Solid effort, but we've come to expect that from him.

2 other kids went an inning each before whining about their arms hurting.  We were down 2 going into the top of the 6th facing their 2,3 and 4 hitters.  Since those pvssies let us down and quit on their team, I had to ask them all who wanted to pitch.   While everyone else looked down at their feet, my son stood up and said "I'll do it".   So I gave him the ball.

He's always been an average player so his coaches usually stuck him in center field and never let him pitch or play infield.  I don't coach that way.   I had 15 kids on my team last year and 12 of them pitched.  I have 11 this year, and anyone who wants to try to pitch will get a chance.  We are 2 games in and they've all gotten time in the infield.  

Anyway, he took the mound, struck out 2 in a row, then got a ground ball to end the inning.  We went on to win the game in the bottom of the 6th. 

I don't care if he ever throws another strike in his life, he was amazing for one inning last night.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Just now, lickin_starfish said:

We heard a rumor that you always play catcher.

Only when you're mom is pitching

• Thanks 1

Awesome! :cheers:

I always wanted to pitch but coaches wouldn’t let me. 😢 

I wasn’t that bad (though by no means great), I think the problem was I was very effective at second base. Good glove and awareness but I couldn’t throw for sh1t (oh, that’s why :doh:).

Anyway, nice your boy got to play the hero. That’s a formative time 

• Like 1

That is great to hear!!!  Also great that you play kids anywhere...  I hated in soccer when someone kept coming up and asking to play striker or something and then when we put them somewhere else they whine...

Really, going into CF is considered for a weaker player?  Interesting...  That isn't very smart managing IMO...

13 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Up until last night, he'd never pitched in a game.  His younger brother started, went 3 innings and gave up 3 runs.  Solid effort, but we've come to expect that from him.

2 other kids went an inning each before whining about their arms hurting.  We were down 2 going into the top of the 6th facing their 2,3 and 4 hitters.  Since those pvssies let us down and quit on their team, I had to ask them all who wanted to pitch.   While everyone else looked down at their feet, my son stood up and said "I'll do it".   So I gave him the ball.

He's always been an average player so his coaches usually stuck him in center field and never let him pitch or play infield.  I don't coach that way.   I had 15 kids on my team last year and 12 of them pitched.  I have 11 this year, and anyone who wants to try to pitch will get a chance.  We are 2 games in and they've all gotten time in the infield.  

Anyway, he took the mound, struck out 2 in a row, then got a ground ball to end the inning.  We went on to win the game in the bottom of the 6th. 

I don't care if he ever throws another strike in his life, he was amazing for one inning last night.  

Based on this I hope you take the High School Coaching job. Good for you and your boy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, posty said:

That is great to hear!!!  Also great that you play kids anywhere...  I hated in soccer when someone kept coming up and asking to play striker or something and then when we put them somewhere else they whine...

Really, going into CF is considered for a weaker player?  Interesting...  That isn't very smart managing IMO...

Yeah I thought they were mostly hidden at right field or maybe third base.

4 minutes ago, posty said:

He was really an average player.  Decent arm, and can catch a fly ball (you'd be shocked by how many kids can't these days)  Just not as quick or athletic as some of the other kids.  Didn't throw blistering heat, but he's really been working on his game during the pandemic.  He was really accurate last night.  Threw only 11 pitches total.  So many of these kids have been sitting around doing nothing but playing video games since March and it really shows.  

8 minutes ago, The Elevator Killer said:

Based on this I hope you take the High School Coaching job. Good for you and your boy. 

Still pending.  We're still waiting to find out if we'll have a football season.  

1 minute ago, vuduchile said:

Still pending.  We're still waiting to find out if we'll have a football season.  

A coach that cares more about the kids than his own win loss record is something every school needs. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Elevator Killer said:

A coach that cares more about the kids than his own win loss record is something every school needs. 

I think the expectations of a HS coach are different than youth leagues.  But, what you're saying still applies.  I've always believed there's a role on any team for a kids who will hustle and give 100%.  

1 minute ago, The Elevator Killer said:

Ain't that the freaking truth...  I think that is one huge reason that on my son's soccer team that I help out with two other parents that they keep coming back season after season...  Yes we want to win, and we do have a very powerful team, but us coaches don't scream at the kids, don't curse, etc...  We practice hard and do conditioning but we try to have fun and work them hard...  If the kids can't make it to a game or practice, the coaches step up and pick up the kids that can't make it...

Hopefully the school will do the smart thing and hire vudu... It is definitely a no-brainer IMO...

• Like 1

I think the expectations of a HS coach are different than youth leagues.  But, what you're saying still applies.  I've always believed there's a role on any team for a kids who will hustle and give 100%.  

I had 2 wrestling coaches with that attitude. Football coach was only about himself. 

I've always believed there's a role on any team for a kids who will hustle and give 100%.  

Agreed...  Coaches love to coach kids that do this...

• Like 1

Great stuff.  I always made it a goal to get every kid on the hill for a turn at some point during the season.  You never know when you'll need them.  My own son never took to baseball even though he was a solid player, and has a very strong arm.  His times on the mound are some of the proudest moments I have.  And tensest. 

• Like 1

This is too easy. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

LL and rec leagues should be about teaching kids. Tourney players get treated differently for sure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, edjr said:

This is too easy. 

Move along snorty.  I think your kid wants to play 8 ball now.  

Awesome and good for him to step to the plate, no pun intended.  I'm sure you are proud.  

• Like 1

Great story!  I would emphasize to him that you were proud he had the balls to try it, regardless of the outcome.  My daughter had a similar softball story with a less than stellar outcome, but I was still proud of her.  :cheers:

• Like 1

One of my best memories was my son pitching in an 8-12 league.  He was 8 but he looked like he was 5 or 6.  Little skinny runt with a baggy uniform.  Probably shouldn’t have been in the league to be honest.  Somehow he convinced the coach to let him pitch.  He threw the slowest pitches I’ve ever seen - maybe 30 mph.  The kids on the other team saw him warming up and started laughing.  My son came in the game and the kids were swinging out of their shoes.  They weren’t used to the folly floater and couldn’t hit it.  He ended up striking out the side.  Place was going bonkers.  😆

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

You both will remember that game for a long time! :cheers:

I think so too. He likely won’t play past HS, but he’ll always have that first game pitching.  

He literally shocked everyone.  Every teammate and parent congratulated him after the game.  He was king of the hill for a night.  

And after playing a round of golf tonight, he asked me to take him to practice pitching tomorrow and Sunday so he could get ready for Monday’s game.  

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

Great story!  I would emphasize to him that you were proud he had the balls to try it, regardless of the outcome.  My daughter had a similar softball story with a less than stellar outcome, but I was still proud of her.  :cheers:

Agreed.  He’s had plenty of misses in baseball.  That’s the nature of the game.  

Hopefully you didn’t smack your daughter around after.   Sorry, couldn’t resist.  

13 minutes ago, Patented Phil said:

One of my best memories was my son pitching in an 8-12 league.  He was 8 but he looked like he was 5 or 6.  Little skinny runt with a baggy uniform.  Probably shouldn’t have been in the league to be honest.  Somehow he convinced the coach to let him pitch.  He threw the slowest pitches I’ve ever seen - maybe 30 mph.  The kids on the other team saw him warming up and started laughing.  My son came in the game and the kids were swinging out of their shoes.  They weren’t used to the folly floater and couldn’t hit it.  He ended up striking out the side.  Place was going bonkers.  😆

That’s awesome.   My youngest throws a pitch that he calls a change up, but really isn’t.  It’s really just him lobbing the ball up there after throwing a couple of heaters.  I hate it, because it’s not something he’ll get away with as he gets older, but even the umps laugh at the swings some of these kids take when he does it. 

7 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

That’s awesome.   My youngest throws a pitch that he calls a change up, but really isn’t.  It’s really just him lobbing the ball up there after throwing a couple of heaters.  I hate it, because it’s not something he’ll get away with as he gets older, but even the umps laugh at the swings some of these kids take when he does it. 

My son called his pitch a “split fingered change up” whatever that is.  Congrats on your son.  The memory will last a lifetime.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Baseball sucks. Report back when he's the star QB.

Football?  :lol:

Football is what the 80’s and 90’s were to boxing.  A way out of the “ghetto” for dumb, but tough kids. 

I loved football, but the gig is up.  Tough pill to swallow, I get it,  but I’m right.  

1 hour ago, GobbleDog said:

Baseball sucks. Report back when he's the star QB.

He’s actually best at basketball.    My youngest is the football player.  RB and LB. Stay tuned. 

Great memories. My son was put in to pitch when he was 11ish. Smoked everyone for 2 innings, got lit up after that. Back to right outfielder :lol: Football he had some good moments too. I'll choose to remember the good moments. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Agreed.  He’s had plenty of misses in baseball.  That’s the nature of the game.  

Hopefully you didn’t smack your daughter around after.   Sorry, couldn’t resist.  

I seriously thought about adding something like "or just spank him" to my post.  :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

Football?  :lol:

Football is what the 80’s and 90’s were to boxing.  A way out of the “ghetto” for dumb, but tough kids. 

I loved football, but the gig is up.  Tough pill to swallow, I get it,  but I’m right.  

For the sweater vest crowd, you are probably right. For the rest of the population, the demise of football is greatly exaggerated.

My oldest pitched a bunch.

My youngest was like Wild Thing. I think his first warm up pitch hit the back stop - high up on the back stop. 

We always tried to have any kid who was willing to pitch, get out there. By the time 12u rolls around, you don’t have enough pitching once summer tournaments roll around. Too many coaches want to win a stupid Rec league game by having the same kids pitch all the time.

Most Leagues have pitch counts. Our Rec league required every kid to play at least 2 innings in the infield and every kid had to sit the same number of innings. The focus on winning hurts youth participation tremendously.

Good story vudu. Something to remember for always. 👍

14 hours ago, vuduchile said:

EEPHUS PITCH

2 hours ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

My oldest pitched a bunch.

My youngest was like Wild Thing. I think his first warm up pitch hit the back stop - high up on the back stop. 

We always tried to have any kid who was willing to pitch, get out there. By the time 12u rolls around, you don’t have enough pitching once summer tournaments roll around. Too many coaches want to win a stupid Rec league game by having the same kids pitch all the time.

Most Leagues have pitch counts. Our Rec league required every kid to play at least 2 innings in the infield and every kid had to sit the same number of innings. The focus on winning hurts youth participation tremendously.

This is right on the money.  All of it