Sign in to follow this  
KayJay1971

So I am going to look at shotguns today...

6 minutes ago, Old School said:

Right now .36 to .40 per round of 9mm is a great deal- if you can even find it.

Seems to be getting slightly better, but 9mm ammo was almost unavailable 2 or 3 weeks ago.

https://www.wikiarms.com/group/9mm

All calibers. You're welcome 

3 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

https://www.wikiarms.com/group/9mm

All calibers. You're welcome 

Also this: https://ammoseek.com/ammo/9mm-luger/-handgun-115-147grains?ca=brass&co=new

However, I only shoot brass, non-reloaded ammo.  If you want to use steel then it's cheaper but I hear still is harder on the weapon and not as reliable.

I was picking up 9mm for .17 to .20 cents a round.  It helps that I also get a military discount at cabela's and free shipping.  sportsman's guide is also a good site.

Just now, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Also this: https://ammoseek.com/ammo/9mm-luger/-handgun-115-147grains?ca=brass&co=new

.  If you want to use steel then it's cheaper but I hear still is harder on the weapon and not as reliable.

That is an ABSOLUTE myth. I only shoot steel when I'm blasting a ton of rounds on a weekend. Corrosive steel rounds haven't been made for DECADES

Just now, shorepatrol said:

That is an ABSOLUTE myth. I only shoot steel when I'm blasting a ton of rounds on a weekend. Corrosive steel rounds haven't been made for DECADES

maybe i'll check them out.  

26 minutes ago, frank said:

Shotgun bullets are bad for your health. 

Saying shotgun bullets is bad for your credibility 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

Mossberg 500 (series) tactical  20 gauge pump-action shotgun.  Chose the 20 gauge so your wife could handle.  It's enough for home defense.  

Bingo. This.

Well done. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

I agree on "corrosive steel rounds haven't been made in decades"

I disagree on the other. 

Steel cases are almost always covered in a clear "lacquer" coat to prevent them from corroding.  If firing multiple steel rounds through a semi-auto...they fock it all up after a few rounds in a row (barrel gets hot) because the lacquer melts and gums up the action. Then you need to clean the rifle before starting over. Been there, done that. 

There are nickel coated steel rounds..those have always worked for me.

Now, I am referring to just AR rounds...but any lacquer coated round through a semi auto if firing multiple rounds will melt the lacquer...so...

If you're getting a semi auto....stay the fock away from lacquer coated rounds. 

15 hours ago, avoiding injuries said:

I’ll let you know. I pick up my “lower reserve” tomorrow morning and one of my closest friends is a federal agent. He’s helping me. 

He’s also the one who convinced me to finally arm myself. 

It's called a "lower receiver" and it's the part that is serialized and in places like California it's what gets registered with the state. 

Everything else you can piece together with your preferred parts. I built one once. Lost it in a houseboat fire.  :(

6 hours ago, tubby_mcgee said:

I agree on "corrosive steel rounds haven't been made in decades"

I disagree on the other. 

Steel cases are almost always covered in a clear "lacquer" coat to prevent them from corroding.  If firing multiple steel rounds through a semi-auto...they fock it all up after a few rounds in a row (barrel gets hot) because the lacquer melts and gums up the action. Then you need to clean the rifle before starting over. Been there, done that. 

There are nickel coated steel rounds..those have always worked for me.

Now, I am referring to just AR rounds...but any lacquer coated round through a semi auto if firing multiple rounds will melt the lacquer...so...

If you're getting a semi auto....stay the fock away from lacquer coated rounds. 

Polymer coated now. 

7 hours ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Bingo. This.

Well done. 

Remington 870 would be a good choice as well. 

• Like 1

How ironic... I recently lost all my guns in the river.  We were camping and canoeing with them and the conoe flipped causing them all to fall into the deep swift river! 😔

Total loss.... so... I have none.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

However, I only shoot brass, non-reloaded ammo.  If you want to use steel then it's cheaper but I hear still is harder on the weapon and not as reliable.

I was picking up 9mm for .17 to .20 cents a round.  It helps that I also get a military discount at cabela's and free shipping.  sportsman's guide is also a good site.

FMJ is much more corrosive on your guns.  You really want to clean the sh!t out of them after you shoot those rounds.

Do what you want... it's cheaper... but I feel there's a difference in carbon build up.  FMJ made my lost guns filthy as fock.

2 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

FMJ is much more corrosive on your guns.  You really want to clean the sh!t out of them after you shoot those rounds.

Do what you want... it's cheaper... but I feel there's a difference in carbon build up.  FMJ made my lost guns filthy as fock.

FMJ as opposed to what?  FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) is the type of round, not the casing (brass, steel, aluminum, etc...) as we've been talking about.

Am I confused?

1 hour ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

FMJ as opposed to what?  FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) is the type of round, not the casing (brass, steel, aluminum, etc...) as we've been talking about.

Am I confused?

No jacket. 

8 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

T & P's... 😔

Thanks man. :thumbsup:

As you know, it's a terrible loss to go through. But we go on.

19 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

Saying shotgun bullets is bad for your credibility 

Chickity-check yo self before you wreck yo self :banana:

6 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

oooh....i like that.  a lot.

Stick is super low in California. I was told they didn’t have any short barrel shotguns in stock but the guy that helped me said he would look in the back. He said this was the last one in the store. I feel really lucky that I found this one. Didn’t really want a 28 inch barrel. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2020 at 5:38 PM, tanatastic said:

It doesn’t help that almost anytime a gun is shot, your target will be harder to see in the dark so I would def take a course in close quarters low visibility shooting. God help you legally if you defend your home though. We are about one step below black home invaders being defended by the public saying “they have no other choice due to systemic racism, he didn’t deserve to die.”.

Tyrone just needs some bread man.

3 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

Tyrone just needs some bread man.

Priorities order: 300$ Nike’s, 5k$ rims on piece of crap car, bread.

On 7/11/2020 at 9:24 AM, mmmmm...beer said:

How ironic... I recently lost all my guns in the river.  We were camping and canoeing with them and the conoe flipped causing them all to fall into the deep swift river! 😔

Total loss.... so... I have none.

I hear you brother,  all mine fell into Cass Lake in 120' of water.  :(

• Sad 1

and if any of you idiots get hand guns or rifles for home defense, please buy the proper rounds so you don't end up killing your neighbors by accident when the rounds go out  of your home and through the neighbors walls.  

1 hour ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

how much did that set you back?  Ammo prices are ridiculous the last couple weeks.

7 hours ago, NorthernVike said:

and if any of you idiots get hand guns or rifles for home defense, please buy the proper rounds so you don't end up killing your neighbors by accident when the rounds go out  of your home and through the neighbors walls.  

What would be the proper round for a 12 gauge? 

8 hours ago, NorthernVike said:

Here you go

51 minutes ago, KayJay1971 said:

What would be the proper round for a 12 gauge? 

Slugs

Or 

00 buck

7 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

600 bucks for 2K of 556?  No way.

Did you get it on the black market?  Did you have to blow someone?  Tell me where I can get these type of great deals.  :)

2 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

600 bucks for 2K of 556?  No way.

Did you get it on the black market?  Did you have to blow someone?  Tell me where I can get these type of great deals.  :)

Wolf 223. Armslist. Yes, it was a great deal now but still way overpriced compared to 5 months ago.