Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

Do you trust the following institutions?

Do you trust the following institutions?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you trust the following institutions?

• government
    • military
    • police
    • the education system / institutions of higher learning
    • the mainstream media
    • the medical industry / health care
    • the legal industry (lawyers, judges, etc)
    • organized religion
    • the business sector / investing / finance
    • i trust none of these

Do you trust the following institutions?  Do to forum software limitations, I can only ask for yes votes.  To capture no votes, just look at the number of people who voted and subtract the yes votes.  I'll add an option for "i trust none of these".

Nope none of them. That doesn't mean they aren't correct at times, but anything those organizations say should be taken with a grain of salt and massive amounts of research. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Nope none of them. That doesn't mean they aren't correct at times, but anything those organizations say should be taken with a grain of salt and massive amounts of research. 

I lean this way.  Each can have degrees of success and failure; do good work vs greed.  Much has to do with who is leading and how. Not a left vs right thing.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

I lean this way.  Each can have degrees of success and failure; do good work vs greed.  Much has to do with who is leading and how. Not a left vs right thing.

Couldn't you say this about any group of people? 

I don't trust or distrust any of them completely.  The ones I have the least trust in are:

Media

Organized religion 

The government

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KayJay1971 said:

Couldn't you say this about any group of people? 

yes

7 minutes ago, Bert said:

I don't trust or distrust any of them completely.  The ones I have the least trust in are:

Media

Organized religion 

The government

But for the purpose of this poll, you have to pick.  If you had to choose if you trust each of these or not, which way would you vote?

I trust a priest with nothing on under his robe

I've met hookers more trustworthy than your list

My criteria for voting was "Do I feel they're trustworthy on at least 75% of the information I hear".  I voted only for Military, Police, and Business sector.

I trust certain religions and not others.

But I feel you forgot an important one in your list: Charities. I give them a big 'No'.

2 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

I trust certain religions and not others.

But I feel you forgot an important one in your list: Charities. I give them a big 'No'.

I was actually going to list charities but left it out because I had no room.

1 hour ago, KayJay1971 said:

Who's the one idiot that trusts the government? :wacko:

You know it's Worms.  Speaking of the government, only wasted 4 BILLION dollars giving SNAP benefits to people who shouldn't get them:

https://highlandcountypress.com/Content/In-The-News/In-The-News/Article/USDA-Error-rate-in-national-food-stamp-program-increases/2/20/58475

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

My criteria for voting was "Do I feel they're trustworthy on at least 75% of the information I hear".  I voted only for Military, Police, and Business sector.

Same, although I added medical industry.  By and large if I go to see a doctor, I trust that they are acting in my best interest.  Big Pharma and insurance companies, notsomuch.

Which brings me to a general conclusion:  Institutions can be most trusted to act in the interest of the institution.

100%?  None of them.  

36 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Same, although I added medical industry.  By and large if I go to see a doctor, I trust that they are acting in my best interest.  Big Pharma and insurance companies, notsomuch.

Which brings me to a general conclusion:  Institutions can be most trusted to act in the interest of the institution.

That's fair.  I was thinking about the same as you on the medical industry, but while I'm with you on the doctors, I have little faith in the insurance company's and hospitals.  If doctors were separate, I'd have voted for them.

The way I see it, if you don't vote for the police, you should be in favor of the "defund" movement.

There is no truth anymore.  Just “my truth” which is complete nonsense.  Welcome to 2020 America.  Remember folks, “diversity is our strength.” 🤣

Wouldn’t big tech deserve its own listing, and be the least trustworthy? 

10 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Wouldn’t big tech deserve its own listing, and be the least trustworthy? 

No one can surpass the catholic church/religion when it comes to trust

In a related study done recently, the media ranked dead-last in a gallup poll of institutions people trust.  The results here were similar, with only organized religion ranking lower.

https://bongino.com/gallup-poll-nobody-trusts-the-media/

The media ranked dead last in the study of Americans’ trust in institutions. Only the media got a more negative than positive review.

Since 2015, Gallup has tracked an increase in divergence between Republicans and Democrats on their attitudes toward the national media, Younis explained.

The current partisan split is “not surprising,” given the contentious relationship President Trump, a Republican, has with the current media, Younis said. Still, the deterioration of trust among Republicans has been persisting for decades.

“Just to give you context, when we were polling in the time of President Nixon’s impeachment, seven in 10 Americans said they had confidence in the honesty of the media they had access to in the United States,” Younis said. “Today, only four in 10 Americans say the same. So there’s been a general decline. That decline is most pronounced among Republicans, like I said in the past five years or so. But as of now, 41% of independents approve of the job that media has done in the Covid crisis, which is exactly the national average; 68% of Democrats share that view, and only 16% of Republicans … So there is definitely a partisan angle to that.”