Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

GOAT of GOATs

Who is the GOAT of GOATs?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Answer already, why do I need to type this?

2 hours ago, riversco said:

its super early but ohtani might just be the greatest baseball player of all time.  he has a shot.

If he can still play at the same level for over 10 years, then sure.  Trout is the best baseball player right now and will have a solid chance at being one of the greatest ever.

18 hours ago, Strike said:

Anything is possible.  But.....He had the benefit of having a rookie contract.  You see it all the time with hot shot QB's.   The team builds a nice team around them during their rookie contract but after a few years they have to pay him.  Once they do the overall quality of the team regresses.  Look at Russell Wilson.  They were great until they had to pay him.  Tom Brady, who repeatedly reworked his contract in team friendly ways, is the only great QB to avoid this conundrum in the last 20 years. 

I heard a story that after the '19 AFC Championship game, Mahomes and Brady went to dinner together and Brady encouraged Mahomes to make his deal team friendly, as the money he will receive via endorsements will be greater than he gets from his actual NFL contract.  This actually seemed to come to light recently, and right after Mhaomes signed his contract he reached out to Chris Jones to say Let's Go! like he knew the deal he signed was going to help them keep a key defensive cog.

I get what you're saying, but hopefully Mahomes gets it and wants the team to be positioned to keep the talent around him.  This contract seemed like a step in that direction.

22 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

No Tom Brady? Jeez I guess people are already giving Cam a super bowl ring 

Cam isnt even going to start the season

21 hours ago, Reality said:

It's common knowledge....

It is pretty common knowledge.  I agree on how great Rice was.  People seem to forget.

But I do also agree that you cant be thr GOAT football player and play WR.  

Rice is further ahead of anyone at WR ever than anyone is at any other position in football.  That is truth.

20 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

I mean don’t get me wrong, I’m very impressed by Jerry Rice and always will be. But dude caught passes from joe Montana and Steve young and played on some of the better teams in NFL history. Does not even belong in this conversation imo

His stats still make others look silly and he played in an era where WRs got crushed. Coukd put hands on them.  And QBs didnt throw 50 times a game.  His stats are unreal.  Not to mention what he did at age 40.  WRs dont even play near that age let alone put up those stats.  

He had good QBs but he did it with 3 different ones.  His numbers are off the charts.   Class of his own.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Cam isnt even going to start the season

Probably true. I’m talking about hype and projection. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Stidham beats him out. Plus there won’t be a season anyway 

On 7/20/2020 at 12:55 PM, tanatastic said:

Ruth got hits off of chainsmoking dockworkers and painters. Plus other guys mentioned have records that still stand today and can’t be caught.

And what do you think Ruth was, a fine tuned athlete? He was playing against his peers just like today’s athletes.

1 hour ago, Baker Boy said:

And what do you think Ruth was, a fine tuned athlete? He was playing against his peers just like today’s athletes.

I agree but he gets docked for the era he played in however unfair that may seem. 

7 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

I agree but he gets docked for the era he played in however unfair that may seem. 

I disagree.  You need to judge a player against his peers.  Otherwise just pick players from the past 10 years, since they will be more freakishly athletic.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

Should today’s athletes be docked because they play with rules that favor the offense. How about the no zone defense in the NBA, should that era be docked?

1 minute ago, Baker Boy said:

Should today’s athletes be docked because the play with rules that favor the offense.

I do.  I'd love to have seen Lebron play against an 80's team using 80's rules.

2 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I disagree.  You need to judge a player against his peers.  Otherwise just pick players from the past 10 years, since they will be more freakishly athletic.

You can judge them that way for their era but in a vacuum it needs to be all time against the best competition. This especially holds true for eras that weren’t black dominated, they just aren’t on the same level. Otherwise why talk about Tom Brady when Sammy Baugh should be the goat. I’m sure I could look up powerlifting competitions and find that today’s lifters lift more than old time lifters. I’ll call the power lifter that lifts the most, the best, not the one that lifted the most compared to his peers.

Yeah so, it’s still Babe Ruth. That guy was amazing. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

You can judge them that way for their era but in a vacuum it needs to be all time against the best competition. This especially holds true for eras that weren’t black dominated, they just aren’t on the same level. Otherwise why talk about Tom Brady when Sammy Baugh should be the goat. I’m sure I could look up powerlifting competitions and find that today’s lifters lift more than old time lifters. I’ll call the power lifter that lifts the most, the best, not the one that lifted the most compared to his peers.

Most of the NFL players today couldn’t even compete In the old NFL. The players today are soft and are an embarrassment to the game. Do you really think what they are doing is true completion. It is entertainment, nothing more. They even bargained for limited practice in the CBA. Players used to play both sides of the ball and special teams including kicking. Now they take themselves out because they “ need a blow”. 

14 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yeah so, it’s still Babe Ruth. That guy was amazing. 

In Babe Ruth's 1916 season as a pitcher, his record was 23 Wins and 170 Strikeouts, with a 1.75 ERA, 9 Shutouts and 23 Complete Games - a very impressive mark for even the best pitchers in baseball.

3 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

In Babe Ruth's 1916 season as a pitcher, his record was 23 Wins and 170 Strikeouts, with a 1.75 ERA, 9 Shutouts and 23 Complete Games - a very impressive mark for even the best pitchers in baseball.

If there was a CY Young award back then, he may have won a few. He went 4-0 against Walter Johnson one year. A no decision in the other start. 

8 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Most of the NFL players today couldn’t even compete In the old NFL. The players today are soft and are an embarrassment to the game. Do you really think what they are doing is true completion. It is entertainment, nothing more. They even bargained for limited practice in the CBA. Players used to play both sides of the ball and special teams including kicking. Now they take themselves out because they “ need a blow”. 

Don’t forget leather helmets. Today’s players aren’t tough enough to play in leather helmets. I bet most of them don’t even smoke cigarettes or drink before games. :thumbsdown: 

On 7/21/2020 at 4:48 AM, riversco said:

its super early but ohtani might just be the greatest baseball player of all time.  he has a shot.

just a minor setback.

33 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Gretzky beat Jordan to win it all, by the way.  🏒

Racism. 

19 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Gretzky beat Jordan to win it all, by the way.  🏒

As he should have...

A QB, with all the their opportunities to score, finally overtook Rice as the highest scoring fantasy player of all-time.... Insane production.

How do kickers fare in the ff hall of fame?