Sign in to follow this  
Reports: NFL players can honor victims of police violence on helmets...

I really hope that this continues to drive a stake into the heart of the NFL and the people that keep saying that they are through will have the balls to follow...

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nfl-players-can-honor-victims-of-police-violence-or-fallen-police-officers-on-their-helmets-185022814.html

NFL players will have the option to honor victims of racial violence or police brutality with decals on the back of their helmets, Front Office Sports and the Associated Press reported.

The decision arrives after earlier reports that the league and players were considering how to make social justice statements on their uniforms.

The league is working with players to come up with a list of names that can be used, including George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Eric Garner, Michael Brown and Tamir Rice, according to FOS.

Program to run all season

Players will be permitted to wear the decals beginning Week 1 and continue through the rest of the season, assuming the league is able to commence as scheduled in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic. The decision to wear decals and the names honored will be up to individual players and teams once a list of names is settled upon.

Players will have the option to wear a helmet sticker honoring a victim of racial or police violence. (Photo by Robin Alam/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

NFL continues shift from former stance

The decision continues an about face for the NFL, which previously shunned kneeling during the national anthem to protest police brutality and social injustice. Colin Kaepernick still remains without a contract since the 2016 season.

In the aftermath of George Floyd’s homicide and ensuing race reckoning across the United States, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has said that “we were wrong” on the issue of player protests.

The decision follows those by the NBA and WNBA to honor victims of police violence with names and slogans on the backs of jerseys. WNBA players will honor Breonna Taylor, the 26-year-old Black woman who was shot and killed in Louisville when police barged into her home on a no-knock warrant on March 13.

NBA players will have the option to choose from a list of social justice slogans on their uniforms when the league begins on July 30, but they won’t have the option of using names of victims of violence on their jerseys.

Its the only sport I watch and i enjoy it, so I wont be boycotting. A helmet decal accomplishes nothing but placate a few morons. If it ends there, Im fine with it. I dont want to hear announcers talking about who is kneeling or why player 'X' chose to wear a decal for this or that victim. I just want to watch football.

Can they honor police victims of criminal violence too? Can anyone honor that anymore? Ok forget police, how bout we just innocent women and elderly victims of violent crime? No? That’s racist? I never even mentioned race, you did. Gotcha.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

The NFL can do whatever it wants and the FF board will continue to watch. No harm no foul.

This is correct for me. I think they should leave out the political stuff, but I care about the game itself. If they replace analysis with political talk then I may stop consuming, but I would imagine the NFL knows they will be losing viewers if they allowed too much

My new TV has a filter that can remove political ads/pictures/sayings from the screen when they appear.  

Its pretty neat.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

The NFL can do whatever it wants and the FF board will continue to watch. No harm no foul.

The same handful of Geeks have been threatening to quit for years. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I won't boycott the games, but I will not purchase any NFL products.  As long as the guys on my fantasy team do well, that's all that matters.  They can do whatever they want, I'm just going to ignore them.  I watch baseball and football.  I quit on basketball ever since the "Hands up Don't Shoot" nonsense.  Haven't watched a game since... never will again.

I stopped watching a few years ago. Ive only seen a handful of lions game last year. I won't be watching this year.

25 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I won't boycott the games, but I will not purchase any NFL products.  As long as the guys on my fantasy team do well, that's all that matters.  They can do whatever they want, I'm just going to ignore them.  I watch baseball and football.  I quit on basketball ever since the "Hands up Don't Shoot" nonsense.  Haven't watched a game since... never will again.

I liken the players to a horse I have bet on. I just want the horse to win. I don’t really GAF what the horse thinks, it’s just a stupid animal. 

• Thanks 1

This is so dumb.  Other than Walter Scott, every other supposed “unjustified killing” of black men ended up being investigated and ruled to be justified.  Michael Brown - the real victim in that case was the poor cop whose life was ruined.  Freddie Gray - 3 of the 5 cops charged (all subsequently vindicated) were black.  Eric Garner - the ranking cop on the scene was a black woman.  How about we spotlight those victims with stickers on helmets.

Fock the NFL.  Cowards - all of them.  I will most likely continue to watch but I will never attend a game and I’ll never buy any NFL merchandise.

1 hour ago, Cdub100 said:

I stopped watching a few years ago. Ive only seen a handful of lions game last year. I won't be watching this year.

I watched maybe 4 titans games last year, including all three playoff games.

Its a pain in the ass for me since the games are on late at night, usually on a Monday morning.

I watch illegally though, so they get zero money from me. 

The whole issue here is that players are pressured to "use their platform" for social change.

First of all, it's not your focking platform. It's the leagues. They pay for it.

But what ultimately needs to happen is players need to see that "woke" hurts their bottom line.

Sadly the opposite seems to be true. I know over on the titans sub reddit, everytime tannehill runs his mouth about his support for "the cause" everyone gushes and "that's my qb!" 

13 hours ago, Patented Phil said:

This is so dumb.  Other than Walter Scott, every other supposed “unjustified killing” of black men ended up being investigated and ruled to be justified.  Michael Brown - the real victim in that case was the poor cop whose life was ruined.  Freddie Gray - 3 of the 5 cops charged (all subsequently vindicated) were black.  Eric Garner - the ranking cop on the scene was a black woman.  How about we spotlight those victims with stickers on helmets.

Fock the NFL.  Cowards - all of them.  I will most likely continue to watch but I will never attend a game and I’ll never buy any NFL merchandise.

More than half of league revenue comes from TV and even the Geeks who are outraged can’t stop watching.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

If I was a player, I would ask and see if I could wear a sticker for people framed by the police and then wear a OJ sticker.

Can you update your thread title to read:

NFL players can honor BLACK victims of police violence ONLY on helmets...

TIA

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

15 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I liken the players to a horse I have bet on. I just want the horse to win. I don’t really GAF what the horse thinks, it’s just a stupid animal. 

You need to stop complaining about what is happening because you are supporting the cause you are complaining about. The NFL has given you another challenge to stand up for what you believe in and you have once again failed. Watch your games but stop complaining about BLM, defund the Police, etc. because you obviously don’t care that much. You can justify it anyway you want but your voice will be heard in the ratings.

9 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

You need to stop complaining about what is happening because you are supporting the cause you are complaining about. The NFL has given you another challenge to stand up for what you believe in and you have once again failed. Watch your games but stop complaining about BLM, defund the Police, etc. because you obviously don’t care that much. You can justify it anyway you want but your voice will be heard in the ratings.

Who doesn't care about BLM and defund the police?

They would be part of the downfall of US civilization if they grow into power over time.

Are you not concerned with that whole message?

13 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Thanks,  but I’m good.  And BTW, you’re giving clicks to a wnsite that promotes the NFL. It was nice having you around, you posted some good things. 

39 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Nailed it. Even the biggest GC whiners cant stop. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, tanatastic said:

Can they honor police victims of criminal violence too? Can anyone honor that anymore? Ok forget police, how bout we just innocent women and elderly victims of violent crime? No? That’s racist? I never even mentioned race, you did. Gotcha.

The Bears players would run out of room on their helmets.

1 hour ago, MDC said:

More than half of league revenue comes from TV and even the Geeks who are outraged can’t stop watching.

Not exactly.  I choose to keep watching regardless of the nonsense.  But I’m very close to pulling the plug.  Very close.  I’ve scaled down my fantasy participation substantially.  I’m only in one league.  The public has learned how to live without sports the last few months.  If the NFL continues ramming politics down our throats they will lose viewership.  It happened 2 years ago - measurably.  Remember - they need us more than we need them.

45 minutes ago, Patented Phil said:

Not exactly.  I choose to keep watching regardless of the nonsense.  But I’m very close to pulling the plug.  Very close.  I’ve scaled down my fantasy participation substantially.  I’m only in one league.  The public has learned how to live without sports the last few months.  If the NFL continues ramming politics down our throats they will lose viewership.  It happened 2 years ago - measurably.  Remember - they need us more than we need them.

The same handful of Geeks have been threatening this for years. “The NFL is VERY CLOSE to losing me! :mad:  I haven’t bought a hat or jersey in YEARS! :mad:  If the league does ONE MORE THING to piss me off I am GONE! :mad: “

They’re all still watching. :sleep: 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, MDC said:

The same handful of Geeks have been threatening this for years. “The NFL is VERY CLOSE to losing me! :mad:  I haven’t bought a hat or jersey in YEARS! :mad:  If the league does ONE MORE THING to piss me off I am GONE! :mad: “

Cool story bro.

12 hours ago, MDC said:

Most of us watch far less than we once did. Hell, this is a website dedicated to FF... And most of us don't even play FF anymore.

I say watch... But not on TV. They get revenue from that. Watch an illegal stream instead. 

The Washington football team used the have a sticker on their helmet of a whole race of people killed by government brutality and the libs made them remove it.  :dunno:

I may watch.  There must be some white boys on teams who would like nothing more than to drive some of these players heads through the turf.  Could get interesting.

On 7/22/2020 at 9:47 AM, Baker Boy said:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/companies-donating-black-lives-matter/

Hopefully no one is using:

Google

Facebook

Amazon

Apple products

Don't shop at:

Walmart

Target

Home depot

If we boycotted everyone that supported BLM we would have to start making our own products.

On 7/22/2020 at 12:27 PM, Mike Honcho said:

If I was a player, I would ask and see if I could wear a sticker for people framed by the police and then wear a OJ sticker.

O.J. was framed by the cops. He was guilty, but the LAPD did some shady stuff and he got off. One example. Trail of blood leading from his Bronco to his front door and the glove found behind Kato's apartment. Which was it. Did he go in the front door or did he jump the fence behind Kato's place? My guess is that both gloves were at the crime scene and Fuhrman planted the glove. There's lots of things like that. 

Click on the link to see a mockup of the helmets and end zone...

https://www.tmz.com/2020/07/27/nfl-helmet-tributes-police-brutality-george-floyd-breonna-taylor-social-injustice-it-takes-all-of-us/

When, and if, the NFL returns ... THIS is what many of the players' helmets will look like -- names like George Floyd and Breonna Taylor emblazoned on the back.

TMZ Sports obtained a few of the mocked-up images the league plans to release shortly ... confirming a report players would be able to honor victims of social injustice.

The images show the full names of victims like Floyd, Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery and Botham Jean. When Front Office Sports first mentioned the plans for these decals ... most people probably expected initials or some sort of commemorative sticker, but these images show the plan is to make the tributes wayyyy more prominent.

We're told the NFL will also roll out a new catchphrase ... "It Takes All of Us" ... which will be painted across the back of the end zones.

NFL Commish Roger Goodell has recently said the league is focusing on social justice initiatives -- and working with players to help make an impact.

Now, all we need is for NFL players and personnel to stay SAFE from COVID so we can see these new helmets in action.

I like the "It takes all of us" slogan wayyyyy bette than BLM. Neither really should have aplace in sports though. 

Former NFL player Dana Stubblefield was  convicted of raping a mentally challenged woman this week.  Preach on NFL, preach on.