Sign in to follow this  
cyclone24

Covid IR spots for your league?

How do you guys doing as far as your roster changing things with coronavirus? Adding IR spots and if so how many?

We're discussing it.  We threw out the idea of adding spots, it's just a matter of what everyone can agree on and how they're used.

Open spots , we’ve decided in my 14 team non ppr to go open ir spots for any owner who’s players can’t play do to and only do to the mandemic.  

And since we’ve also decided to really shortened the bench by half, to have a more players available in F/A for those owners, we’re going to also have one bye week ir spot , you can place a player in that ir spot if they have a bye week, but only one, and then you must remove him from that spot after the Monday night game and drop the player you picked up for that player, we don’t do any ir spots for the common football injury. 

It’s going to e interesting season, but it’s going to be the same for everyone.  

Also going total points only, we have been a total points plus we did head to head,  but with so much uncertainty about how many games will be played, we decided just to go total points.  

If they call the season, all points we’ll only be counted after the last played Monday night game.  

Thanks. 

I don't know about adding IR spots strictly for the CCP virus, but an extra IR spot or two may be a good way to go

When it was first brought up to me about adding IR spot just for the mandemic, I wasn’t for it either, but after thinking and talking it over with some of the other owners it just made since, it’s not a on field injury. 

Just doesn’t seem right to have someone lose a high drafted player because of the mandemic.  

The changes were made on how the league felt would keep it competitive, and I like to win, but I like to earn it.  

So are you guys doing anything as far as waivers with that? So what I mean is let's say you lose your 1st round or 2nd round guy to Corona virus. Yeah you can add and IR spot but if somebody is 10th in waivers does that really help them all that much? I'm just trying to think of ways to make it even for non injury related events like that period

Yes, if a owner lost a player due to the mandemic, that owner gets first ups.  

We and I want to keep it competitive.  

6 hours ago, cyclone24 said:

So are you guys doing anything as far as waivers with that? So what I mean is let's say you lose your 1st round or 2nd round guy to Corona virus. Yeah you can add and IR spot but if somebody is 10th in waivers does that really help them all that much? I'm just trying to think of ways to make it even for non injury related events like that period

I don't see it being any different than it is already. The virus is just a part of the challenge this season. No way to get around it.

I really don't see how it's any different than losing a player for 3 weeks due to a pulled hamstring, or getting injured in a car accident. If they don't play, they don't play.

I'm debating this as I type.  I think I've settled on adding 2-3 IR spots for Covid-19 infected players only.  Im actually hoping Yahoo designates the infected players as such to make things easier.  I debated adding 2 IR + 1 roster but I feel that would make the pool of available players much less, especially if we see a significant amount of infections.

The one thing I hadn't thought of is the waiver dilemma mentioned above.  I'm curious to see how other commissioners handle this.  If you don't give the impacted team first crack then you are basically leaving it to whoever gets the alert on their phone first and is able hop on the app and make a claim.  

Especially for the commissioners here but anyone can comment.

I'm curious why not make Covid IR spots unlimited? While keeping regular IR slots the same as usual?

It appears the NFL is doing so in a attempt to make sure NFL teams are able to field a team for each game. (14 Marlins players tested positive for instance) 

This season is going to be chaotic in any case................ but for FF why not approach it the same as the NFL and make sure owners can field a full starting lineup?

9 minutes ago, lesjroza said:

I'm curious why not make Covid IR spots unlimited? While keeping regular IR slots the same as usual?

It appears the NFL is doing so in a attempt to make sure NFL teams are able to field a team for each game. (14 Marlins players tested positive for instance) 

This season is going to be chaotic in any case................ but for FF why not approach it the same as the NFL and make sure owners can field a full starting lineup?

For Yahoo, the max IR slots is 5. 

34 minutes ago, lesjroza said:

That’s what we’ve done in, 14 teams is a lot of players, we’ve gone unlimited IR spots for covid players only, and first ups for F/A pick ups. 

We thought that would be best based on the situation to keep the league competitive. 

I'm running through a scenario where I'd give "first crack" at a replacement player to the team that has a player test positive.  I'm thought of several variables that need to be worked out.

- Should the manager impacted have to select a player from the same NFL team (i.e. the next guy up)?  If not, you're basically giving anyone that has a Covid positive player permission to jump the waiver line and add whoever they want.  This defeats the spirit of the rule.

- What if that "next guy up" is already rostered? Would they still have to select a player from the same NFL team as a replacement? Should they get the right to then grab any player from waivers/FA given they play the same position? 

- What if two or more teams have positive players announced on the same day?

I put it to league vote whether or not we should allow this "gentlemen's agreement" of giving a Covid impacted team right of way in grabbing a replacement So far the vote is 50/50 with 4 votes outstanding.  Given its a possibility we go this route I'm working on some sort of verbiage to explain how it may work, trying to work out this details while I type.  So far this is what I have:

If Covid impacted NFL team’s immediate backup is already rostered, manager would then have the ability to select another player from the same position from the available pool of players. If there is another manager that has a Covid positive player diagnosed at the same time, that manager would have priority to select his player’s immediate backup from the same NFL team.  Any alternative replacement MUST be a player of the same position.

Scenario Example:

Team A has a player that has tested positive for Covid.

Team A has ability to add the positive player’s same team NFL replacement to their roster.  This “right of way” would expire after 24 hours. After 24 hours the replacement player would go through normal waiver/FA process.

• If the positive player’s replacement from the same NFL team is already rostered, the manager then has the ability to select another player at the same position from any NFL team from the list of available players UNLESS

Team A and Team B have players that have tested positive for Covid and announced within 24 hours of each other.

Team A’s impacted player’s replacement from the same NFL team is already rostered. Team A can not add Team B’s same team NFL replacement. Team B would have “right of way” to the same team NFL replacement player. If Team A has already added Team B’s replacement player, the player would be awarded to Team B and Team A would then need to select another player.  If 24 hours elapses or they give up this “right of way”, normal waiver/FA process would be in effect.

Any way you go this season is going to be a shitshow. I hate to have a free for all scenario where whoever gets the notification first on their phone goes right to free agents and adds the player. Any manager that ends up with 3-5 infected players and cant grab suitable replacements is going to be in the shitter and not have a shot to be competitive. That doesnt create a fun league. With the way the MLB is going I can see a lot of outbreaks.

No question this nfl season is going to be a challenge, for the league, owners, players, coaches, and ff owners. M

But me and the other owners see it this way , as it concerns us the ff owners, it’s the same for everyone.  

I don’t see any way every owner won’t have a player test positive, now even if that player isn’t sick, they will make him sit out. 

We normally have a 3 man I.R.

As long as covid is a thing. We are going to a 5 man I.R., but still keeping it a maximum of 3 for actually injured players. Everything else, including waivers, will be business as usual.

We have 12 teams, with 24 man rosters. (not counting I.R.'s). So waivers are fairly thin anyways. And for waivers. We have the usual waiver order, priority based on record. It goes 5 rounds deep, and goes in on tuesday night. But, then wednesday through kickoff sunday, we have first come first serve. (Of course thursday's FA's get locked). Long story short. We really don't have the need for a big change.

On 7/27/2020 at 12:31 PM, lesjroza said:

I think my mind is changing on this. Originally, I was thinking adding just 2 COVID-IR spots to our league, but I'll probably expand it to 4/5 or maybe unlimited. I do think I will keep the IR COVID-specific for fear of depleting the free agent pool. 

What about the very real possibility that the NFL has to cancel individual games during the season due to an outbreak on a team that will not allow it to field a team? As happened with baseball, will they just reschedule these games in a newly created week 18? How will we handle that?

ICEMAN

Kind of along the post of garden state Parkway above this came up tonight. So let's say you have Christian mccaffrey and on Tuesday morning he gets announced he has Corona virus. To me that seems really crappy if someone goes and snatches up his backup before the owner has an opportunity. Just an example. I'm just throwing an example of someone and assuming his backup is it roster and. So take that with a grain of salt.

Are any of you guys offering any relief for owners who have a covid positive player as far as waivers?

On 7/27/2020 at 11:07 AM, weepaws said:

That’s what we’ve done in, 14 teams is a lot of players, we’ve gone unlimited IR spots for covid players only, and first ups for F/A pick ups. 

We thought that would be best based on the situation to keep the league competitive. 

We’ve done this for covid players. 

10 hours ago, cyclone24 said:

Kind of along the post of garden state Parkway above this came up tonight. So let's say you have Christian mccaffrey and on Tuesday morning he gets announced he has Corona virus. To me that seems really crappy if someone goes and snatches up his backup before the owner has an opportunity. Just an example. I'm just throwing an example of someone and assuming his backup is it roster and. So take that with a grain of salt.

Are any of you guys offering any relief for owners who have a covid positive player as far as waivers?

I held a league vote on 3 topics:

1 - How should the pot be handled if there was a shortened season? (Anything less than a full fantasy season and playoffs the pot gets pushed to next year and we have a "super pot")

2 - Should we add bench and/or IR slots for the upcoming season (Ended up adding 2 bench and 4 covid-only IR)

3 -  If a team has a player that has tested positive for Covid-19, should that team have "first crack" at adding a replacement?

This was 6 votes in favor of "business as usual/no "first crack", 3 votes for the "gentlemen's agreement/"First crack" (1 lazy owner not voting).  While it's going to suck having to dart to the waiver wire and keep glued to my phone, the alternative may have been a nightmare to enforce.  I started going through all the possible scenarios in a "gentlemen's agreement/first crack" situation I'd need to lay out prior to the season to keep everything fair:

If priority is given to an impacted team (“Gentlemen’s Agreement”), should that team be forced to select a player from the same team as replacement?  What if the Covid positive player’s backup is already rostered? Should the manager have to select a backup from the same team?

If Covid impacted NFL team’s immediate backup is already rostered, manager would then have the ability to select another player from the same position from the available pool of players. If there is another manager that has a Covid positive player diagnosed at the same time, that manager would have priority to select his player’s immediate backup from the same NFL team.  Any alternative replacement MUST be a player of the same position.

If two or more managers have players from different teams impacted by Covid at the same time and one of the teams replacement...

this is where I stopped because the vote was not heading in favor of this option. If you head in this direction with your league make sure you have all of this stuff ironed out and in writing beforehand or you could have some fighting amongst owners.

Our commish is trying to keep things as simple as possible  We are expanding rosters from 16 to 20.  Waiver still go worst to first. He thought about other options but decided this is the easiest and less confusing. 

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 7:39 AM, Super Cubs said:

Our commish is trying to keep things as simple as possible  We are expanding rosters from 16 to 20.  Waiver still go worst to first. He thought about other options but decided this is the easiest and less confusing. 

I'm Commish in a $200 money League and Very nervous about the Season, But I'm leaning on doing absolutely nothing.  I don't know how to manage IR spots, or is it 100% certain who the Backup RB is in RBBCs ?....why not let owners dealer with COVID like a concussion or fracture....it's all random and players miss time....maybe lower Florida or Texas players ?

Is there any way the NFL won't play all weekly games ?  This is my nightmare scenario.....Like a Florida game moved to another City and a future Date ?...., not on the same week.  How will FF Matchups work ?